The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Royals and Employment (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/royals-and-employment-6849.html)

princess olga 08-12-2005 11:22 PM

Royals and Employment

I've always been fascinated by the question/topic what ('secondary') royals--i.e. siblings of Crown Princes/Princesses-- do for a living. In other words, members of royal families who do something unrelated to anything having to do with being royalty.

For example, I know that Prince Constantijn, the youngest brother of Crown Prince Willem Alexander of the Netherlands, is a consultant/advisor for a high-caliber political thinktank in Brussels. Middle brother Friso, meanwhile, earns an honest pay check working for TNO, a Dutch research institution.

Wives Mabel and Laurentien also have jobs, as director of billionaire George Soros's charity institute/lobby group, and communication advisor, respectively.

Other royal families have working members, too.
*Pavlos of Greece for example is in finance, (but what do his siblings do for a living?)
*Viscount Linley, princess Margaret's son, is a furniture maker.
*Sophie of Wessex used to own her own PR company.
*PEter Phillips works in marketing for a Formule 1 racing team I believe.
*Dutch princess Marilene works for AHOLD in marketing I think.

Can anyone fill me in about other royals with jobs? What, for example, do Spain' s infanta's do for work? How about Belgium's prince Laurent? Others? Would love to hear!

princessbeauty 08-12-2005 11:24 PM

Or how about the royals in spain

princess olga 08-12-2005 11:49 PM

yes I would love to know what prince Felipe's sisters do for a living. I know they do work, but what exactly I haven't the faintest idea! Would love to know!
Also, what about CP Frederik's brother Joachim? he should have enough time to go take a job, no? Does he actually have one? Does anyone know?

tiaraprin 08-13-2005 12:15 AM

More British Royals Who Had/Have Everyday Jobs. . . .

The Earl of Wessex, before the Queen had him retire from public jobs, worked with Andre Lloyd Webber in the theatre and had his own televison production company, Ardent.

Sarah, Duchess of York worked for a Public Relations Firm before marriage. Now her job is promoting Weight Watchers and her various books.

Lady Sarah Chatto, daughter of Princess Margaret, is a professional artist. Her husband, Daniel Chatto, is an actor.

The Duke of Gloucester was a professional architect before having to leave his job to resume royal responsibilities.

Lady Helen Taylor, daughter of the Duke and Duchess of Kent, worked for an Art Gallery. (don't know if she still does).

sara1981 08-13-2005 01:24 AM

Princess Diana is Kindgarten Teacher asst before she married to Prince Charles in 1981

Sara Boyce

princess olga 08-13-2005 01:29 AM

Thanks, Tiaraprin! Wow I didn't know that Chatto, princess Margaret's son in law, was/is an actor! Any movies/plays he's been in? Is he good at his craft?

And Lady Helen Taylor, I actually remember now, is or was also a spokesperson for fashionhouse Armani, although I'm not sure if this is just a representative every-once-in-a-while gig, or a day job.

Also someone I didn't mention is India Hicks, granddaughter of Earl Mountbatten, prince Charles's beloved uncle. Hicks works as a model from time to time.

princess olga 08-13-2005 01:31 AM

Oh yes that's right, Sara! Lady Diana, as she then was, worked with children. Judging from how she got along with her own offspring, she must have excelled at her job! (Ah, how I miss that woman!)

lula 08-13-2005 02:17 AM

In case of the Spanish

The Infanta Elena (who studied teaching) is socia together with two friends of a garden gives infancy where she gives English lessons. Her husband Jaime of marichalar is an adviser of several companies as Wintherthur or the group LVMH.

The Infanta Cristina is employed at a bank, where she deals with the organization of the social activities. Her husband Iñaki, was for many played years professional of handball (obtaining medals in world and Olympic), and now he devotes himself to the management of sports questions.

galuhcandrakirana 08-13-2005 03:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess olga
Also, what about CP Frederik's brother Joachim? he should have enough time to go take a job, no? Does he actually have one? Does anyone know?

He is a farmer....he seems to love farmer thing...he has farmland and sells the farm product in the market (I'm not sure it it just for local market only or also for export ...does some one know about it?)

sara1981 08-13-2005 04:02 AM

what about Camilla,Duchess of Cornwall? before she married to first husband Andrew and they later Prince Charles this year

Sara Boyce

norwegianne 08-13-2005 06:48 AM

Märtha Louise of Norway is educated to be a physical therapist, but hasn't worked as one. Her career, outside of the royal engagements she takes on, consists of story-telling, writing books and promoting them.

iowabelle 08-13-2005 02:26 PM

These were some of the less obvious ones I could think of:
Viscount Linley -- woodworking and sales;
Viscountess Linley -- artist (paints and sculpts);
Earl of Snowden (Linley's father and Princess Margaret's ex) -- photographer;
Earl of Litchfield -- photographer;
James Ogilvy -- runs a luxury magazine;
Julia Ogilvy (his wife) -- founder and chairman, Project Scotland;
Duchess of Gloucester -- former secretary;
Duchess of Kent -- music teacher;
Prince Joachim of Denmark -- farmer
Countess of Ulster (married to son of Duke of Gloucester) -- doctor;
Princess Michael -- interior designer and writer;
Marina Ogilvy (Mowatt?) -- musician and composer;
Duke of Kent -- former soldier;
Prince Michael of Kent -- former soldier;
Sir Angus Ogilvy -- former soldier and businessman;
Crown Princess Pavlos -- clothing stores and a line of clothing

iowabelle 08-13-2005 02:34 PM

Princess Clothilde of Savoy -- actress;
Yasmin Pahlavi -- lawyer;
Princess Rym -- former journalist;
Queen Sofia of Spain -- former nurse

iowabelle 08-13-2005 02:36 PM

Crown Princess Mette-Merit, waitress

princess olga 08-13-2005 02:49 PM

lula, thanks! I wouldv'e never guessed Elena as a teacher! And Christina working for a bank..with that sporty husband of hers, I would've guessed she'd be doing something in the sports field..something outdoorsy. do you happen to know if they like their jobs?

princess olga 08-13-2005 02:51 PM

galuhkandrakirana, that's so fascinating, Joachim a farmer. It seems fitting somehow. What an original he is! Maybe that explains the divorce a bit better? I can't exactly see sophisticated, urbane Alexandra as a farmers wife! ;)

princess olga 08-13-2005 03:05 PM

Thanks Norwegianne: I'd actually forgotten about Martha's 'original' profession of physical therapist. Interesting she decided she didn't want to pursue a career in that field after all. Do you happen to know why?

---

Iowabelle, you created quite a list! Thanks!

It seems to me that there are many royals with artistic tendencies! I didn't know viscountess Linley is a sculptress.

One has to wonder though, is that kindof a daily hobby-type-of-thing or is she really serious and makes a paycheck out of it? Same question by the way for prince Joachim of Denmark for example. Can he live off of what he reaps from 'the land' so to speak? LOL, as a farmer he should be eligible for some nice European Union farmer subsidies!

And off topic: who is the Earl of Litchfield?

lula 08-13-2005 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by princess olga
lula, thanks! I wouldv'e never guessed Elena as a teacher! And Christina working for a bank..with that sporty husband of hers, I would've guessed she'd be doing something in the sports field..something outdoorsy. do you happen to know if they like their jobs?

Since I imagine that if, they have chosen them. The Infanta Elena studied teaching, so I imagine that she is charmed with the children and she likes her work.
The Infanta Cristina works for a bank, but in the departamente of social questions and charitable of the bank, before I believe that culture was employed at the area. I remember that a few months ago she travelled to áfrica to visit one of the projects.

princess olga 08-13-2005 03:10 PM

Lula, it seems especially Christina has a very interesting job! I wonder how she manages to combine a job with a lot of international travel with all those kids of hers! Well possibly her husband can chip in a bit too. And they probably employ a nanny or two also. Do you happen to know more about her job? what's the title for example and does she manage a team, or .. (if you don 't have time to answer I'd understand :)

princess olga 08-13-2005 03:11 PM

Sara, that's a good question as to what Camilla has done career wise. I have to admit, I haven't the faintest idea! Anyone know?