The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Style File (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Fur on Royals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/fur-on-royals-6593.html)

BeatrixFan 07-24-2005 05:37 PM

Fur on Royals
 
I've got lots of photographs of Queen Beatrix and Queen Margrethe in fur, however, Queen Elizabeth (and the British Royal Family for that matter) seem to avoid it. It's not so cold here I suppose but the Queen used to wear it and I believe the Countess of Wessex was criticised for wearing fur in Russia.

Do you like Royal Ladies wearing fur and lets post some pics of them in their finest furs!

sara1981 07-24-2005 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeatrixFan
I've got lots of photographs of Queen Beatrix and Queen Margrethe in fur, however, Queen Elizabeth (and the British Royal Family for that matter) seem to avoid it. It's not so cold here I suppose but the Queen used to wear it and I believe the Countess of Wessex was criticised for wearing fur in Russia.

Do you like Royal Ladies wearing fur and lets post some pics of them in their finest furs!

i think its would be late HM Queen Mother had it in 1940's because she carry furs often!

and im not sure what other HM Queen had it!

Sara Boyce

Aussie Princess 07-24-2005 08:44 PM

Normally I am just dead againts fur, but I think Princess Diana looked lovely in this coat http://pro.corbis.com/images/AADS002...b-e097b9002edb}
but I heard she got a lot of criticism for it. December. 1981

http://pro.corbis.com/images/AADS001...f-6494d8866605} This is the Queen mother in March 1987

semisquare 07-24-2005 09:00 PM

i dont think its right to wear real furs but there are some very nice faux furs.

Reina 07-24-2005 09:07 PM

I don't think it is anybody's business if the royals (and commoners alike) wear fur. I think this whole idea that real fur is wrong is crass and a waste of time away from real issues that ppl outta be concerned about.

semisquare 07-25-2005 03:44 PM

reina
hummmm im guessing that u own a fur or two? relax, its just my opinion dont get excited.
does anyone have any pic of royals in their furs?

madonna23 07-25-2005 03:48 PM

is there any royal that explicitly states she will never wear real fur??

Reina 07-25-2005 04:08 PM

I was directing my opinion at you. I am mainly talking about ppl who a confrontational about fur (pink, etc.). That makes me sick.

Quote:

Originally Posted by semisquare
reina

hummmm im guessing that u own a fur or two? relax, its just my opinion dont get excited.
does anyone have any pic of royals in their furs?


Squidgy 07-25-2005 06:41 PM

I am against wearing fur, but I think it's a personal decision. I believe if someone decides to wear fur and they are comfortable with that decision, then that is their business.

As for the royals, I don't mind seeing the older generation (like Queen Elizabeth and Queen Beatrix) wear their furs. Way back, when they first started wearing furs, people weren't so concerned about animal welfare. The older generation has been wearing fur for so long, I think it would be very difficult for them to change this habit.

However, the younger generation were brought up in a time of more social awareness. I must admit, that as young, modern role models, I would be disappointed to see them wearing fur.

Here is a picture of Queen Elizabeth wearing fur in Canada, May 2005
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=149758

delineate 07-25-2005 07:46 PM

Gee calm down everybody! So some you like fur, great. And some of you don't, that's great too. Not everyone who wears fur thinks everybody else should, and not everyone who doesn't wear it thinks everybody else should not wear it.

BeccaLynn07 07-25-2005 08:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidgy
I am against wearing fur, but I think it's a personal decision. I believe if someone decides to wear fur and they are comfortable with that decision, then that is their business.

As for the royals, I don't mind seeing the older generation (like Queen Elizabeth and Queen Beatrix) wear their furs. Way back, when they first started wearing furs, people weren't so concerned about animal welfare. The older generation has been wearing fur for so long, I think it would be very difficult for them to change this habit.

However, the younger generation were brought up in a time of more social awareness. I must admit, that as young, modern role models, I would be disappointed to see them wearing fur.

Here is a picture of Queen Elizabeth wearing fur in Canada, May 2005
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=149758


Well put, Squidgy. I couldn't agree more! Nice photo.:)

Princess BellyFlop 07-25-2005 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squidgy
Here is a picture of Queen Elizabeth wearing fur in Canada, May 2005
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=149758

Oh that weird fur thing the Queen had on her shoulder. I didn't like it at all. I know that it can be cold in Canada but not that cold in May.

I'm neither pro-fur or anti-fur. It all depends HOW (a coat not a silly thing like in the picture), WHEN (ok in winter) and WHERE (ok in countries with real cold winters where central heating system is a must such as Canada, Norway, Sweden, etc; never ok in warm Monaco or Malibu).

Yes there is also nice faux fur and also nice recycled fur.

iowabelle 07-25-2005 09:42 PM

I was caught in a blizzard in Canada right around the middle of May, about 1969.

Citizen2005 07-26-2005 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Princess BellyFlop
Oh that weird fur thing the Queen had on her shoulder. I didn't like it at all. I know that it can be cold in Canada but not that cold in May.

I'm neither pro-fur or anti-fur. It all depends HOW (a coat not a silly thing like in the picture), WHEN (ok in winter) and WHERE (ok in countries with real cold winters where central heating system is a must such as Canada, Norway, Sweden, etc; never ok in warm Monaco or Malibu).

Yes there is also nice faux fur and also nice recycled fur.


Not every body's temperature system is the same..some people feel cold quickly...others feel they are sweating...Besides the queen is an old lady...needs to keep herself warm;)

servingsophie 07-26-2005 01:45 AM

I love fur and believe it to be the height of glamour and elegance. On a recent visit to the UK Mette Marit looked divine in a short mink cape/coat.
I will defend anybodies right to wear fur as I did when the Countess of Wessex was criticised for a rabbit fur hat.

semisquare 07-26-2005 09:55 AM

does anyone have any picture of royalty wearing fur and i have a question-do royal men wear furs?

sm1939 07-26-2005 11:38 AM

I think fur looks better on the animal than on an human weather you are royalt or just a regular person,
makes me sad to see people still wearing it!!!!

Princess BellyFlop 07-26-2005 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iowabelle
I was caught in a blizzard in Canada right around the middle of May, about 1969.

Oh May 1970. It was not a blinding snowstorm around Montreal but still snow from a winter that was refusing to let go. I had a new baby brother at the time. It was May 2nd to be exact and I remember walking back to school at lunchtime that day and thinking that getting snow in May was so but so unfair and that maybe this year we would not have a summer at all. I was very saddened by that. When Spring is particularly chilly, I still have the fear that God would forget to send summer to Canada. This memory is still vivid and makes me smile.

Back to the Queen weird fur thing -> too big, too shiny, too too much for that visit. Hey if you need fur to keep warm, then cover your arms, Royal or not!

iowabelle 07-26-2005 12:23 PM

Yes, it was a very cold and snowy day in the area of Winnepeg. I remember that we had gone camping because they were celebrating Queen Victoria's birthday. We had a small pop-up camper trailer. When we woke up, there must have been at least 18 inches of snow. My mother refused to go outside and cook in the snow, so we went home! I was about 6 at the time.

Jelka 07-26-2005 12:40 PM

I remember that when Prince Laurent married Claire, he actually asked everybody not to wear fur at the wedding. Only Queen Fabiola showed up that day wearing fur.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:16 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises