The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Official Royal Jewels (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f233/)
-   -   Royal Orders and Decorations (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f233/royal-orders-and-decorations-6461.html)

Von Schlesian 07-10-2005 03:08 AM

Royal Orders and Decorations
 
Hallo everyone. I was just curious to know which of your countries' Orders and decorations are your favourites.

Personally mine are the Most Honourable order of the Bath and the Royal Victorian order. (The Neck badge of a Commander, or Knight/Dame of the Most Excellent order of the British Empire is also lovely to look at).

Many thanks.

Sean.~ 07-10-2005 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
Hallo everyone. I was just curious to know which of your countries' Orders and decorations are your favourites.

Personally mine are the Most Honourable order of the Bath and the Royal Victorian order. (The Neck badge of a Commander, or Knight/Dame of the Most Excellent order of the British Empire is also lovely to look at).

Many thanks.

Hmmm. These don't qualify as Australian, do they?

We only have on national order, the Order of Canada. So I guess that's my favourite!

ElisaR 07-10-2005 12:02 PM

In Italy we have five orders. The most important, which is is my favourite one, is the Order of the Merit of the Italian Republic.
The Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh have this order (Knight Grand Cross with Chain, which the highest level).

Von Schlesian 07-10-2005 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.~
Hmmm. These don't qualify as Australian, do they?

We only have on national order, the Order of Canada. So I guess that's my favourite!

Hi Sean;

Well, I'm English, so they count as Orders from my country. But the Royal Victorian Order is still within the Australian Honours List, as it is awarded for personal service to Her Majesty. The same applies to the other constitutional Monarchies of which Her Majesty is Queen, that have their own honours system eg: Canada, New Zealand etc.

Von Schlesian 07-10-2005 07:05 PM

Sean;

Also, Canada has the Order of Military Merit, and the Order of Merit of the Police Forces. In addition, some of the provinces have Orders of their own eg: the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, and the Order of Ontario. (I understand these aren't national Orders, but it's very interesting to note that the provinces have orders of ther own. Such a system doesn't exist in Australia even though, the states are technically soverign states within the federation.

Sean.~ 07-10-2005 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
Sean;

Also, Canada has the Order of Military Merit, and the Order of Merit of the Police Forces. In addition, some of the provinces have Orders of their own eg: the Saskatchewan Order of Merit, and the Order of Ontario. (I understand these aren't national Orders, but it's very interesting to note that the provinces have orders of ther own. Such a system doesn't exist in Australia even though, the states are technically soverign states within the federation.

Yes, some of our Provinces have their own orders as a way of recognizing members within the community. The Order of Canada is our only "national" order, insofar as Canadians from all sectors can be eligable for membership. The Order of Military Merit and the Order of Police Forces is limited to personnel in those fields.

Sean.~ 07-10-2005 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Von Schlesian
Hi Sean;

Well, I'm English, so they count as Orders from my country. But the Royal Victorian Order is still within the Australian Honours List, as it is awarded for personal service to Her Majesty. The same applies to the other constitutional Monarchies of which Her Majesty is Queen, that have their own honours system eg: Canada, New Zealand etc.

Sorry, I thought you were of Australian nationality.

The RVO is on the honours list here, but it is not really a natioinal order, as it is generally only awarded for personal service to the Queen or RF members. Thus, by it really isn't availabl to all sectors of Canadian society.

Von Schlesian 07-10-2005 08:26 PM

I probably should have been more specific about the question. Sorry about that. I understand your interpretation, and indeed yes, the example you give is correct. Likewise in Australia with the Order of Australia, it has both a General (civil), and Military division, so truely every citizen is elligable.

While it recognises such terriffic work done by Australians (and many people internationally), I prefer the Imperial Honours.

StoneCold 07-17-2005 01:50 PM

My favourite Order and Decorations are:

The Order of the Garter (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Thistle (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Merit (United Kingdom)
The Royal Victorian Order (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Elephant (Denmark)
The Icelandic Order of the Falcon (Iceland)
The Order of St Charles (Monaco)
The Order of the Rajamitrabhorn (Thailand)
The Trinity Cross (Trinidad & Tobago)
The Star of Tamasek (Singapore)
The Royal Order of the Northern Star (Sweden)
The Order of the Rising Sun (Japan)
The Order of al-Hussain ibn Ali (Jordan)
The Order of Australia (Australia)
The Star of Gallantry (Australia)
The Order of the Crown (Belgium)
The National Order of the Condor of the Andes (Bolivia)
The National Order of the Southern Cross (Brazil)
The Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
The Order of Trishakti Patta (Nepal)
The Order of New Zealand (New Zealand)
The New Zealand Order of Merit (New Zealand)
The Order of St Olaf (Norway)
The Order of the White Eagle (Poland)
The Order of St Andrew (Russia)
The Order of Merit for the Motherland (Russia)
The Order of Bolivar (Venezuela)

:D

Darky 07-19-2005 11:20 AM

In France there is the Order Legion of Honor ... My great grand father was Chevalier de la Légion d'Honneur (Knight of the legion of honor, i'm not sure of this traduction :confused: )

Humera 07-19-2005 07:13 PM

3 Attachment(s)
My favourite would have to be the Order of Canada, I think its beautiful and so Canadian, with the red and white and the maple leaf.

From the Governor-General's website:
The Order of Canada is the centrepiece of Canada’s Honours System and recognizes a lifetime of outstanding achievement, dedication to the community and service to the nation. The Order recognizes people in all sectors of Canadian society. Their contributions are varied, yet they have all enriched the lives of others and made a difference to this country. The Order of Canada’s motto is DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM (They desire a better country).
Description
The insignia of the Order is a stylized snowflake of six points, with a red annulus at its centre which bears a stylized maple leaf circumscribed with the motto of the Order, DESIDERANTES MELIOREM PATRIAM (They desire a better country), surmounted by St. Edward’s Crown.

More on the Order and Canada's other national orders:
http://www.gg.ca/honours/order_e.asp

Humera 07-19-2005 07:39 PM

This July 15, 2005, on his 59th birthday, the Sultan of Brunei awarded Her Royal Highness Paduka Seri Pengiran Anak Isteri Pengiran Anak Sarah, the wife of His Royal Highness Crown Prince Pengiran Muda Haji Al-Muhtadee Billah the The Most Esteemed Family Order Laila Utama, known as D.K.
The Order was founded by Sultan Muda Haji 'Omar 'Ali Saif ud-din III on March 1, 1954. Awarded in two classes (1. Darjah Kerabat Laila Utama-DK and 2. Darjah Kerabat Sri Utama-DKII).
http://www.4dw.net/royalark/Brunei/brunei.htm

http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6861/1a6nh.th.jpg http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/8481/1b8kj.th.jpg http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/6478/1c2db.th.jpg http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/7005/1d5mv.th.jpg

Humera 07-19-2005 08:18 PM

The order mentioned above is also bestowed by the Sultan of Brunei on foreign royals, including Princess Basma of Jordan and her husband Walid Al Kurdi

From her website:
In July 2000, His Majesty Sultan Haji Hassanal Bolkiah Mu'izzadin Waddaulah, Sultan and Yang Di-Pertuan of Brunei Darussalam, bestowed upon Her Royal Highness Princess Basma the Most Esteemed Family Order Laila Utama of Negara Brunei Darussalam.
http://www.princessbasma.jo/awards.html
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6260/award2ip.th.jpg

Princess Basma and her husband at the Sultan of Brunei's birthday celebrations, July 15, 2005
http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/7784/1a1xh.th.jpg http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6528/1b2zn.th.jpg http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/6708/2b4nz.th.jpg http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/1267/2c6fe.th.jpg http://img134.imageshack.us/img134/2884/2f5oo.th.jpg

Von Schlesian 07-22-2005 05:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StoneCold
My favourite Order and Decorations are:

The Order of the Garter (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Thistle (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Merit (United Kingdom)
The Royal Victorian Order (United Kingdom)
The Order of the Elephant (Denmark)
The Icelandic Order of the Falcon (Iceland)
The Order of St Charles (Monaco)
The Order of the Rajamitrabhorn (Thailand)
The Trinity Cross (Trinidad & Tobago)
The Star of Tamasek (Singapore)
The Royal Order of the Northern Star (Sweden)
The Order of the Rising Sun (Japan)
The Order of al-Hussain ibn Ali (Jordan)
The Order of Australia (Australia)
The Star of Gallantry (Australia)
The Order of the Crown (Belgium)
The National Order of the Condor of the Andes (Bolivia)
The National Order of the Southern Cross (Brazil)
The Order of Merit of the Grand Duchy of Luxembourg (Luxembourg)
The Order of Trishakti Patta (Nepal)
The Order of New Zealand (New Zealand)
The New Zealand Order of Merit (New Zealand)
The Order of St Olaf (Norway)
The Order of the White Eagle (Poland)
The Order of St Andrew (Russia)
The Order of Merit for the Motherland (Russia)
The Order of Bolivar (Venezuela)

:D

My word Stone Cold, you certainly have a lot of favourites! :)

Just as a bit of trivia on one of those decorations, the Star of Gallantry is yet to be awarded. It has been Gazetted an official Australian award for 12 years, however, no one has yet fulfilled the required prerequisits. The Medal for Gallantry however, has been awarded numerus times since the approval for the award.

LaMinka 07-22-2005 06:14 AM

My are The order of Merit (Norway) I also like the brithis shases and The order of St Olav.


Oder of St Olav:
The Royal Norwegian Order of St.Olav
Instituted by King Oscar I in 1847. Conferred as "a reward for distinguished services rendered to the country and mankind". The King is Grand Master of the Order which takes its name from King Olav II, declared a saint after his death in 1030. Divided into five classes: Grand Cross, Grand Officer, Commander, Officer and Knight. The King may award the Collar of the Order to holders of the Grand Cross. Today, except for Royalty and foreign Heads of State, the Order of St.Olav is restricted to Norwegian nationals. The Grand Cross is worn on a broad sash passing from the right shoulder to the left side, the Commander´s Cross on a ribbon around the neck, and the Knight´s Cross on the ribbon on the left side of the breast. Both the sash and ribbon of the Order are red with a blue border stripe double-edged with white. Women wear the Commander´s Cross, likewise the Knight´s Cross, in a bow of the Knight´s Cross ribbon on the left side of the breast. When awarded for military services, the decoration of the Order bears two blue-enamelled crossed swords under the crown on the cross. On the death of a member, or if a member is awarded a higher decoration, the insignia must be returned to the Chancery of the Order. Applications for conferment of the Order are addressed to HM The King and submitted through the Chancery of the Order. The Council of the Order, appointed by HM The King on the recommendation of the Prime Minister, consists of a Chancellor, a Vice Chancellor, a Treasurer (the Lord Chamberlain) and three other members representing Southern, Central and Northern Norway who submit their recommendations on all matters to the Grand Master. The Chancery of the Order is the secretariat for the Council of the Order.


http://www.kongehuset.no/digimaker/p...igiMaker69.jpg

http://www.kongehuset.no/digimaker/p...igiMaker70.jpg

Order of Merit:
The Royal Norwegian Order of Merit
http://www.kongehuset.no/digimaker/p...igiMaker71.jpg
Instituted by King Olav V in 1985 for conferment upon foreign nationals and Norwegian nationals permanently resident abroad as a reward for outstanding service in the interests of Norway, also upon career officers in the Norwegian Foreign Service, upon foreign civil servants in Norway for diplomatic or consular services, and upon Norway´s honorary consuls for consular services. The King is the Grand Master of the Order. The Order is divided into the following classes: Grand Cross, Commander (subdivided into Grand Officer and Commander), and Knight (subdivided into Officer and Knight). The ribbon of the Order is deep blue moiré and the insignia are worn as decreed for the Order of St.Olav. They become the property of the recipient. Applications for conferment are addressed to HM The King and submitted through the Protocol Department of the Royal Ministry of Foreign Affairs. The Order is conferred by HM The King on the recommendation of the Council of the Order consisting of the Lord Chamberlain of the Court, the Chief of Protocol of the Royal Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the Head of Chancery of the Royal Norwegian Order of St.Olav.


from kongehuset.no

CasiraghiTrio 09-18-2005 04:41 PM

Prince Albert's decorations
 
Can anyone identify each of Prince Albert of Monaco's decorations? I am trying to specifically identify each medal and everything. I don't need a list of his honors and medals. I know what orders he belongs to. But I'm not familiar with the decorations of each. Does anyone have pictures of each? of any? or where can I go to see them? is there a site with pictures of all of them, or any of them?

Elspeth 09-18-2005 05:23 PM

This might give you a starting point:

http://www.heraldica.org/topics/nati...aco.htm#orders

There's some more detail here if you click the relevant links:

http://www.medals.org.uk/monaco/monaco.htm

It probably doesn't say which of them Prince Albert has, but the photos are good enough that you should be able to identify them.

CasiraghiTrio 09-19-2005 09:37 AM

Collage of Prince Albert of Monaco's Medals and Orders
 
Source: my own website (I made this collage)

I have only been able to identify one! Albert belongs to so many Orders that he can't possibly wear all of them at once, so obviously I just have a handful of his here. Does anyone know any of them?
http://casiraghitrio.com/elders/Prin...dersMedals.jpg

Australian 09-19-2005 09:52 AM

Order of Australia
http://www.medals.org.uk/australia/australia003.htm

All world medals and ribbons etc can be found here:
http://www.medals.org.uk/index.htm

Australian 09-19-2005 10:00 AM

http://www.medals.org.uk/monaco/monaco-text.htm
Decorations for Monaco


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:00 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises