The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Questions about Royals and General Miscellania (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/questions-about-royals-and-general-miscellania-6390.html)

kcc 05-20-2004 12:00 PM

Questions about Royals and General Miscellania

what message boards do you think the royals, we all enjoy following, read. on the miller sisters board their was a poster who attended university with prince nicholas of greece,i think i read somewhere that the duke of sax-coburg posted on a board(not sure which one)and on alt talk royalty their is a horrible little man (racist,sexist and so on),the count gudenus. does anyone know of others?

CathyEarnshaw 05-20-2004 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kcc@May 20th, 2004 - 11:00 am
what message boards do you think the royals, we all enjoy following, read. on the miller sisters board their was a poster who attended university with prince nicholas of greece,i think i read somewhere that the duke of sax-coburg posted on a board(not sure which one)and on alt talk royalty their is a horrible little man (racist,sexist and so on),the count gudenus. does anyone know of others?
I sincerely doubt that the Poster known as the duke of Saxe-Coburg is a Coburg because the head of the family Prince Andreas has never changed his surname to Herzog von Sachsen-Coburg ...

there are no other dukes of Saxe-Coburg ...

as for Count Gudenus - sadly, he is a member of the Gudenus family. He is in his 60s, lives in France, and is married to a Vietnamese woman, and has one daughter.

kcc 05-21-2004 03:34 AM

thank you for the reply marlene.i forgot to mention the poster on this board who claims to be a member of the schornborn-wiesentheid family,is he the genuine article or a no-acount count.

Charles 06-20-2004 04:44 PM

His birthday and everything matches up, but that doesn't really prove anything.

Josefine 12-01-2004 02:30 PM

poor things if they read this forum what would they think of us that follows them

Josefine 12-21-2004 09:07 AM

anniversaries in the year 2005

some anniversaries in the year 2005

25th anniversaries
Birthday
Prince Hamzah of Jordan (1980)

40th anniversaries
Birthday
Countess Sophie of Wessex (1965)
Princess Stéphanie of Monaco (1965)
Infante Cristina of Spain (1965)

50th anniversaries
Birthday
Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg (1955)
Prince Lorenz of Belgium (1955)

60th anniversaries
Birthday
Prince Hans Adam II of Liechtenstein (1945)

Josefine 12-21-2004 09:10 AM

have i missed any birthday anniversaries
what about wedding or as regents

Jackswife 12-21-2004 11:04 AM

Not sure if you mean this but November 22, 2005 will mark the 30th anniversary of the swearing-in of King Juan Carlos.

GrandDuchess 12-21-2004 12:16 PM

Princess Lilian of Sweden (1915) - 90 years old on 30 August 2005!

Josefine 12-21-2004 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackswife
Not sure if you mean this but November 22, 2005 will mark the 30th anniversary of the swearing-in of King Juan Carlos.

yes i was thinking about these kind of things

KikkiB 12-21-2004 01:04 PM

June 7, 2005 will be the centennial of, in want of a better word, the ending of the Swedish-Norwegian union, Norway's independence and making of our own nation, and thus the centennial of the Norwegian royal family :) The Norwegian royal family was "elected", meaning that Prince Carl of Denmark demanded a referendum deciding if Norway was going to be a republic or a monarchy. And the little royal family came to Norway in November 1905 to a wore-down palace(the Swedish king didn't stay in it so often).

I think there will be celebrations throughtout the year, also in other countries than Norway, such as UK (since Queen Maud was British, and King Olav was born there), Sweden and Denmark (since King Haakon was Danish).

Anyway, it's a big thing in Norway that involves a lot of royal activity :D

HMQueenElizabethII 12-22-2004 08:12 AM

In Great Britain,The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh will attend a lot of activities to mark 60th anniversary of the end of the World War II.
On celebrating the independence of Norway,King Harald and Queen Sonja will visit Great Britain,Sweden,USA,Denmark.

Australian 01-16-2005 09:01 AM

How does a royal family start?

How does a monarchy start? who chooses the royal family? basically how is it determined what family should be royal and how royal families started.

norwegianne 01-16-2005 09:19 AM

In case of Norway: The current royal family was elected by the people in 1905. The man elected to be the king was the Danish Prince Carl who was married to the British Princess Maud. In this case I think major league politics played a part, as the newly independent Norway depended on the major players in Europe to be able to stand on their own legs at first. Carl and Maud, who were related to most of Europe's royal families: Great Britain, Russia, Greece, Denmark, Sweden, Prussia... had an excellent starting point.

Earlier in Greece they elected Prince Vilhelm of Denmark for many of the same reasons the Norwegians elected his nephew: his connections.

Jean-Baptiste Bernadotte was adopted by the Swedish king as his successor.

Belgium became a monarchy of its own when the heir to the throne of the Netherlands was a female, as far as I understand it. The line to the throne back then in Belgium could only come to a male.

Monarchies in Europe tend to go far back, and at one point in history one of the chiefs gathered more power than the others. Or at various other points in the years to come when someone was more political clever than his opponents, or something like that.

(You also have the story of the English cricket star who was offered the throne of Albania.)

jcranma 01-16-2005 10:13 AM

Could you elaborate on that cricket star being offered the throne of Albania. When did that happen? It seems a little weird to me.

norwegianne 01-16-2005 10:36 AM

I can't recall where I read it, but the cricket star was, from what I googled, C. B. Fry. http://www.google.com/search?q=crick...UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

The Watcher 01-16-2005 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
Belgium became a monarchy of its own when the heir to the throne of the Netherlands was a female, as far as I understand it. The line to the throne back then in Belgium could only come to a male.

No, that was Luxembourg when Wilhelmina became the Dutch Queen.

Belgium became independent from The Netherlands in 1830 after the Belgian Revolution.

And The Netherlands is official a monarchy since 1815. But in 1579 The Netherlands became independent, because the Eight Years' War which was lead by Willem, Prince of Orange. After Willem was murdered, his son became the leader as stadtholder. All stadtholders (holland, zeeland, friesland) that follow were members of the family van Oranje-Nassau ( the present royal family). In 1794 Napoleon won the war with The Netherlands and made of the country a Kingdom, with his brother as King. When Napoleon was gone, the family van Oranje-Nassau came back and the son of the last stadtholder became king.

norwegianne 01-16-2005 12:19 PM

Thanks for correcting :)

Josefine 02-18-2006 07:56 AM

has there been more then 2 queens in a kingdom
we have in belgium 2 queens today
in sweden i think there was at one time 3 queens at the same time 2 queens was widows can maybe obe of the swedish experts say if i am right

in jordan is there 2 or three queens today

HRHAmy 03-04-2006 01:58 PM

Which King and Queen of a certain country had the most royal children? I know Britians Queen Elizabeth II was doing quite well with four but what other royal families had the most children, they can be the new generation or way back in history.:)