The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   What if a royal adopted? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/what-if-a-royal-adopted-6370.html)

kwanfan 06-29-2005 10:23 PM

What if a royal adopted?
 
What would happen if a royal couple chose to adopt a child? Would the child immediately go into the line of succession?

lamass 06-29-2005 10:26 PM

i don't think that the kid would be put in the line of succession. it would have to be blood of the royal to be in the line. i don't even know if the kid would get a title unless it was given one by the reigning royal.

Sean.~ 06-29-2005 10:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lamass
i don't think that the kid would be put in the line of succession. it would have to be blood of the royal to be in the line. i don't even know if the kid would get a title unless it was given one by the reigning royal.

It depends on the country, but generally no. Monaco had/has a provision where the Prince can adopt. The Indian princely states used to sometimes adopt heirs from certain clans, as was the case with the last ruling Maharaja of Jaipur (husband of the famous Gayatri Devi), and the Gaekwad of Baroda (who was one of India's greatest Princes and grandfather of the aforementioned Gayatri Devi).

Von Schlesian 06-29-2005 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean.~
It depends on the country

Correct. Some have the provision within their parliamentary systems to change the requirements for the line of succession. (The Succession act of 1703 being one of these). But as we know, the Royal House of Sweden is an adopted one, and if something happens historically, then we can be rather certain, that for most countries (particularly the more liberal Eurpean Monarchies), the possibility is there.

Humera 06-30-2005 02:46 AM

The late King Hussein and Queen Alia of Jordan adopted a daughter. But she's not part of the line of succession. The Sultan and Queen of Brunei have many adopted children from various parts of the world, including African orphans, and the Sultan also has adopted siblings, one of his adopted brothers lives in the royal palace. The adopted family members are all well provided for but none of them ofcourse is part of the line of succession.

GrandDuchess 06-30-2005 12:40 PM

I think the general answer is no. Royals can of course adopt children, but they cannot become part of the Line of Succession.

The case with Sweden though has to do with history and the times when the monarchs really did rule their countries, and had ther hands on the legislation. The adoption of Jean Baptiste Bernadotte was a case of "big league politics" so to speak. Sweden wanted to become close to Napoleon, and so they adopted one of his generals as the next king. He later became Karl XIV Johan.

Alexandra 06-30-2005 03:48 PM

Prince Christoph von Hessen-Kassel was killed in an aeroplane accident in the Appenines whilst on active service.


Prince Richard and Prince Christoph were twins. Prince Richard adopted his nephew Prince Rainer of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.


Landgrave Philipp and Prince Wolfgang were twins. Prince Wolfgang adopted his nephew Prince Karl of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.


Landgrave Moritz was adopted by Prince Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine and succeeded to the Ducal title of Hess and by Rhine following the death of Prince Ludwig. Princess Tatiana is a sister of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg

Sean.~ 06-30-2005 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandra
Prince Christoph von Hessen-Kassel was killed in an aeroplane accident in the Appenines whilst on active service.


Prince Richard and Prince Christoph were twins. Prince Richard adopted his nephew Prince Rainer of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.


Landgrave Philipp and Prince Wolfgang were twins. Prince Wolfgang adopted his nephew Prince Karl of Hesse-Cassel, the son of Prince Christoph, on 7 July 1952.


Landgrave Moritz was adopted by Prince Ludwig of Hesse and by Rhine and succeeded to the Ducal title of Hess and by Rhine following the death of Prince Ludwig. Princess Tatiana is a sister of Prince Richard of Sayn-Wittgenstein-Berleburg


Great examples! However, they are moot insofar as relating to succession , because there was no throne to succeed to. These adoptions were for estate succession reasons, and to continue the family name. Moreover, all of these individuals were kinsmen, so it's not like an outsider was being brought in.

norwegianne 06-30-2005 05:58 PM

The Norwegian constitution doesn't really say anything about adoption, but these two paragraphs might be open for interpretation on the matter. If you read the first one it says that only those born to a King/Queen, their children, or their brothers and sisters, are entitled to rule. (And therefore be in the line of succession.) But... if the King should have no such offspring, the second article may also include adopted children. (And everybody else. ;) )

§ 6.
The succession to the throne is linear, such as only children born to Queen or King in legal marriages, or one in the line of succession by own right, can inherit, and the closer line suceeds before the distant, and the older before the younger.
Among the elligeble is also counted the unborn, who immediately after birth, take their right place in the line.
Though, someone not born in the straight downward line from the last ruling Queen or King, or this one's sister or brother, or a sister or brother to the King or Queen, does not have the right to the throne.
...

§ 7. If there isn't any Prince or Princess in the line of succession, the King himself may suggest his successor to the Storting, who are entitled to make the decision, if the King's choice isn't approved.

Claire 07-01-2005 04:15 PM

I would let them adopt - although I know that many of the country's constitutions refering to the royal births and thus succession don't take adoption and new advancements like surragacy into account.
I know that they would always stick out as everyone will know they adopted. Can you imagine the tabloids coming up with a story about the TRUE parents of Prince So and So. It would be worse than been royal so I don't think it is a possiblity for royals in line to the throne. But I really would like the British parliament to change that stuff about only children been born from body... of descendants of Empress Sophia of Hannover so that Edward and Sophie could adopt.

Nichola 07-07-2005 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Claire
I would let them adopt - although I know that many of the country's constitutions refering to the royal births and thus succession don't take adoption and new advancements like surragacy into account.
I know that they would always stick out as everyone will know they adopted. Can you imagine the tabloids coming up with a story about the TRUE parents of Prince So and So. It would be worse than been royal so I don't think it is a possiblity for royals in line to the throne. But I really would like the British parliament to change that stuff about only children been born from body... of descendants of Empress Sophia of Hannover so that Edward and Sophie could adopt.

Sadly, this would probably be the case knowing the tabloids, quite sad really!

However, I think it would set a great example if a royal were to adopt.

Josefine 06-26-2007 09:54 AM

has any royal in europe adopted in recent times since the 50's

Duke of Marmalade 06-26-2007 09:59 AM

Not that I know of. There were several suggestions in the media though such as Haakon adopting MM's son Marius, Prince Albert adopting one of Caroline's children in case he doesn't produce an heir / heiress himself or Letizia adopting her nice Carla after her sister's death. None of these rumours has been proven true so far.

princess leonor 06-26-2007 03:46 PM

Nice idea for a thread. I can't really imagine royals adopting though. They should definitely be allowed to. I think it also depends on the situation. If a crown prince couple can't have children and want to adopt, then maybe, although probably the right to the thrown would be for a brother or sister next in line. But what about adopting a third child from another country? It seems nice to me, even though I can't see it happening. Letizia adopting Carla was a cute suggestion of the press but completely unnecessary of course. Little Carla has a father who loves her and who cna take care of her. Maybe if he had passed away as well, bu thankfully that is not the case

ines 06-26-2007 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Humera (Post 235050)
The late King Hussein and Queen Alia of Jordan adopted a daughter. But she's not part of the line of succession. The Sultan and Queen of Brunei have many adopted children from various parts of the world, including African orphans, and the Sultan also has adopted siblings, one of his adopted brothers lives in the royal palace. The adopted family members are all well provided for but none of them ofcourse is part of the line of succession.

I think is bit rare to say that those children are 'adopted'. It's realy sad that Abir (adopted daugther from the late King Hussein) not even mentoned as a sister any more. My opinion is that if you adopt a child it has to be like your own. No difference.
Or you don't adopt but you start sponsoring of a child in his/her own family.

By the way, this is a nice thema.

magnik 06-26-2007 04:24 PM

Zsa Zsa Gabor's husband Frederic Prince von Anhalt (born as Hans Robert Lichtenberg) was adopted in 1980 by Princess Marie Auguste of Anhalt (1898-1983).

Frédéric Prinz von Anhalt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shadiyah2086 06-26-2007 11:14 PM

I think what kwanfan question about adoption was meant to be along the lines of what if (this is just an example) CP Mary and Frederick were to adopt a child from China, or Princess Martha-Louise and Ari Behn adopted a child from Africa or Kazahkstan even. At least thats what I think kwanfan was asking.

But I don't see why it would be a problem is a royal adopted. They obviously won't be in the line of sucession. But maybe the soverign might give them a title like count or countess, lord or lady, something along those lines.There are millions of children in the world who need loving homes. I myself am adopted. And I think that if I wasn't I wouldn't have been given the opportunites that I have been given.

PeoplesPrincess 11-10-2007 06:26 PM

Adoption a possibility?
 
On the heels of the thread about a gay heir, would it ever be possible for an adopted child to be an heir? Do you think this might need a few decades but it could eventually happen? In families where children were adopted by a member not likely to inherit the throne, were the children still placed in the line of succession?

zembla 11-10-2007 07:34 PM

That's interesting...well it seems more and more women are having trouble conceiving. In fact around me...I only know one woman who could get pregnant with no problems...

I'm sure adoption would be fine as long as the child is from the country they are ruling over. That would probably be a major stipulation...although I don't see this happening anytime soon...

cmkrcwi 11-10-2007 09:41 PM

I don't believe adopted children are eligible to inherit unless they're already related to their adopted parents. At least that's true in the UK. I'm not sure how it would work in other countries.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:37 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises