The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f239/)
-   -   Royal Family of Belgium: Currents Events, Part 3 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f239/royal-family-of-belgium-currents-events-part-3-a-5478.html)

Julia 03-30-2005 12:12 PM

Royal Family of Belgium: Currents Events, Part 3

This is the continuation thread of part 2 which can be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...445#post192445

Enjoy and happy posting!

hillary_nugent 03-30-2005 04:48 PM

So what's the latest gossip on this royal family? ^___^

Hannelore 03-31-2005 01:47 PM

10 Attachment(s)
No real gossip, Albert & Paola are on easter holidays in Poland, here they are visiting Krakow like two 'normal' tourists :):)

Hannelore 03-31-2005 01:48 PM

2 Attachment(s)
A few more ... By the way are there (m)any Polish posters on this board?

Hannelore 04-03-2005 04:23 AM

Queen Paola and king Albert will attend the funeral of pope John Paul II in Rome the coming week.

hillary_nugent 04-03-2005 08:35 AM

Age has definitely been kind on Queen Paola she looks younger than she is! ^___^

Huddo 04-05-2005 08:07 PM

I agree she has aged remarkably well

Is she well liked in Belgium?....

Hannelore 04-06-2005 03:51 PM

Paola & Albert will be present at the funeral of the pope.

HMQueenElizabethII 04-08-2005 09:49 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Their Majesties attended the Funeral of the Pope,Queen Paola looked so sadly

Isabel 04-08-2005 11:35 AM

1 Attachment(s)
A photo from Reuters that I found at yahoo of Her Majesty attending the funeral of His Holiness.

Hannelore 04-12-2005 02:38 PM

King Albert II will attend the funeral of Rainier of Monaco.

Lyonnaise 04-15-2005 03:54 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Caption:
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM - APRIL 13: King Albert and Queen Paola arrive at the Royal Palace to assist the recreation of the first radio transmission in Belgium at the glass house of the Royal Palace (just like during the first emission in 1914), on April 13, 2005 in Brussels, Belgium. The event celebrates 75 years of radio and 175 years Belgium. (Photo by Mark Renders/Getty Images)

Lyonnaise 04-15-2005 03:55 AM

3 Attachment(s)
second set..

Lyonnaise 04-15-2005 03:57 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Caption:
FLANDERS, BELGIUM - APRIL 14: King Albert and Queen Paola visit the official opening of the Gent Floralia, the biggest flower show in Europe, at the Flanders Expo, Gent on April 14, 2005 in Flanders, Belgium. (Photo by Mark Renders/Getty Images)

HMQueenElizabethII 04-15-2005 07:20 AM

Thanks lots for photos Lyonnaie.

Hannelore 04-15-2005 03:44 PM

6 Attachment(s)
a few more pics of Paola & Albert at the pope's funeral

Hannelore 04-15-2005 03:45 PM

6 Attachment(s)
A week later (today)...king Albert II at the funeral of prince Rainier of Monaco.

Hannelore 04-19-2005 03:28 PM

Albert & Paola openly support threatened business man and his muslim employee

Tue 19/04/05 - King Albert on Tuesday visited the Remmery delicatessen company at Ledegem in West Flanders. The king's visit is a show of support for Remmery's manager Rik Vannieuwenhuyze and employee Naima Amzil.

In all Mr Vannieuwenhuyze has received seven threatening letters in connection with a Moroccan employee.

It's a case that has stirred the hearts and minds of the Belgian people. The threatening letters targeted the firm's manager, his family and a Moroccan employee.

At first the letter writer demanded that the employee, Naima Amzil, stop wearing a headscarf to work. In the final letters small businessman, Rik Vannieuwenhuyze and his family were threatened and the sacking of Naima Amzil was demanded.

King Albert received a warm welcome from Remmery workers and sympathisers.

Earlier King Albert and Queen Paola paid an official visit to nearby Roeselare (West Flanders). Big crowds turned out to cheer the royal couple as they visited Roeselare town hall, the cycling museum and a local bio farm.

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/html/nieuws/images/spacer.gifFingerprints fail to identify authorhttp://www.vrtnieuws.net/html/nieuws/images/spacer.gifLast month police took fingerprints from current and former employees to compare them with a print on one of the letters. Kortrijk prosecutors have now said that the examination of fingerprints has failed to provide any fresh evidence.

On March 2nd following a letter containing two bullets Ms. Amzil decided to stay at home. She returned to work last week.

Hannelore 04-19-2005 03:37 PM

9 Attachment(s)
A great thing to do. This is already the second time the king has showed his support. He already invited Rik Vanieuwenhuyze and Naima Amzil to the royal palace a few months ago, and now he went to visit their firm. I saw on the news how Paola posed for the photographers with an arm around Naima :)

hillary_nugent 04-22-2005 08:12 AM

Thanks for the pics everyone!!! i haven't been on the forum for a while so the pictures provide a great update on what has been happening with the royal family ^____^

Hannelore 04-22-2005 09:01 AM

7 Attachment(s)
Thursday 21 April 2005

Queen Paola visited the school 'de boemerang' in Antwerp, a school that hosts children of foreign origin. The school was the laureate of the "school of hope" project of the queen Paola foundation

Hannelore 04-22-2005 09:03 AM

6 Attachment(s)
pictures from belga.be

HMQueenElizabethII 04-22-2005 09:10 AM

Thanks you so much Hannelore.

HMQueenElizabethII 04-22-2005 11:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
More pics of TM:

Hannelore 04-26-2005 02:40 PM

5 Attachment(s)
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM : Queen Paola of Belgium pays a visit to the "Magritte and the Photography" exhibition, Tuesday 26 April 2005, in Brussels.

Hannelore 04-27-2005 03:15 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Queen Paola of Belgium was visiting the Queen Elisabeth's Musical Chapel in Waterloo on Wednesday 27 April 2005. Queen Paola has followed several courses given by bariton Baron Jose Van Dam and discussed with the music teachers and their pupils. She also get some informations about the new deals and structure of the Chapel.

Danielle 05-01-2005 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hannelore
BRUSSELS, BELGIUM : Queen Paola of Belgium pays a visit to the "Magritte and the Photography" exhibition, Tuesday 26 April 2005, in Brussels.

Thanks for the photos! That is probably one of the nicest outfits I have seen Paola wear. She looks great and from what I can see, the art is as well. :)

Hannelore 05-04-2005 03:31 PM

6 Attachment(s)
King Albert II, queen Paola, queen Fabiola, filip & Mathilde, Astrid & Lorenz wete present at the royal palace for the handing out of the King Baudouin prize for development. The winner was Ousmane Sy from Mali, for his efforts to modernize his country and to fight poverty.

For more pics of the dukes of Brabant, check out their thread.

Hannelore 05-04-2005 03:45 PM

10 Attachment(s)
May 4th, 2005.

Today the king and queen made a visit to the city Charleroi.

They were received at the town hall and greeted the public that waited for them at the marketplace.
They visited 'Bipole' that unites the scientific research activities of the ULB University.
Queen Paola then brought a visit to the police station (this region has to deal with a lot of criminality - it's one of the poorest of Belgium, with a lot of unemployment): she was explained about the role and oppertunities of women in the police corps. Special attention also went to initiatifs to help youngsters, and a project about security in traffic.

Afterwards they went to the photography museum for the exhibition 'Hunderd photos for a birthday', created especially for the 175th anniversary of Belgium.

Hannelore 05-04-2005 03:48 PM

5 Attachment(s)
photos from belga.be

HMQueenElizabethII 05-07-2005 06:02 AM

Thanks lots Hannelore.Lovely!

hillary_nugent 05-07-2005 08:54 AM

interesting facts from http://www.warholm.nu/FAQbel.html

How is King Albert related to other European Monarchs?
Denmark King Albert II and Queen Margrethe II are third cousins once removed. They are descendants of the Swedish King Oscar II. These are the lines: Oscar II - Carl - Astrid - Albert II and Oscar II - Gustaf V - Gustaf VI Adolf - Ingrid -Margrethe II. Sweden King Albert II and King Carl XVI Gustaf are third cousins once removed. They are descendants of the Swedish King Oscar II. These are the lines: Oscar II - Carl - Astrid - Albert II and Oscar II - Gustaf V - Gustaf VI Adolf - Gustaf Adolf - Carl XVI Gustaf. Norway King Albert II and King Harald V are first cousins. They are descendants of the Swedish Prince Carl, Duke of Västergötland. These are the lines: Carl - Astrid - Albert II and Carl - Märtha - Harald V. United Kingdom King Albert II and Queen Elizabeth II are third cousins. They are descendants of the Danish King Christian IX. These are the lines: Christian IX - Frederik VIII - Ingeborg - Astrid - Albert II and Christian IX - Alexandra - George V - George VI - Elizabeth II. Spain King Albert II and King Juan Carlos are fourth cousins. They are descendants of the French King Louis Philippe I. These are the lines: Louis Philippe I - Louise - Philippe - Albert I - Leopold III - Albert II and Louis Philippe I - Ferdinand Philippe - Louis Philippe - Louise - Maria - Juan Carlos. Luxembourg Grand Duke Henri is King Albert II's nephew. King Albert's sister Josephine-Charlotte is the Grand Duke's mother. The Netherlands King Albert II and Queen Beatrix are third cousins once removed. They are descendants of Wilhelm von Nassau-Weilburg, Duke of Nassau. These are the lines: Wilhelm - Sophia - Carl - Astrid - Albert II and Wilhelm - Helene - Emma - Wilhelmine - Juliana - Beatrix. Liechtenstein King Albert II and Prince Hans Adam II are third cousins. They are descendants of the Portuguese King Miguel I. These are the lines: Miguel I - Marie José - Elisabeth - Leopold III - Albert II and Miguel I - Marie-Thérèse - Elisabeth - Franz Josef II - Hans Adam II. Monaco King Albert II and Prince Rainier III are fourth cousins. They are descendants of Karl Ludwig, Grand Duke of Baden. These are the lines: Karl Ludwig - Josefine - Marie - Albert I - Leopold III - Albert II and Karl Ludwig - Marie Elisabeth - Mary Victoria Douglas-Hamilton - Louis II - Charlotte - Rainier III. Bulgaria King Albert II and King Simeon II are third cousins once removed. They are descendants of the French King Louis Philippe I. These are the lines: Louis Philippe I - Louise - Philippe - Albert I - Leopold III - Albert II and Louis Philippe I - Clémentine - Ferdinand I - Boris III - Simeon II. Greece King Albert II and King Constantinos II are third cousins. They are descendants of the Danish King Christian IX. These are the lines: Christian IX - Frederik VIII - Ingeborg - Astrid - Albert II and Christian IX - Giorgios I - Konstantinos I - Giorgios II - Konstantinos II. Portugal King Albert II and Prince Duarte Pio are second cousins once removed. They are descendants of King Miguel I of Portugal. These are the lines: Miguel I - Marie José - Elisabeth - Leopold III - Albert II and Miguel I - Miguel - Duarte Nuno - Duarte Pio. Romania King Albert II and King Mihai I are third cousins. They are descendants of the Danish King Christian IX. These are the lines: Christian IX - Frederik VIII - Ingeborg - Astrid - Albert II and Christian IX - Georgios I - Constantine I - Helena - Mihai I.

HMQueenElizabethII 05-11-2005 09:20 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Recently engagement of Their Majesties.They visited the IRIS Feast:

HMQueenElizabethII 05-11-2005 09:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
His Majesty attended Celebrations commomerating 60th Anniversary of the end of WWII:

HMQueenElizabethII 05-11-2005 10:53 PM

8 Attachment(s)
More pics of the visit to IRIS Feast:

Hannelore 05-12-2005 02:10 PM

The Iris feast is the feast of the region Brussels-Capital. The Iris is the symbol of Brussels.

HMQueenElizabethII 05-18-2005 04:06 PM

9 Attachment(s)
The King and the Queen are on holiday in their yatch in Italy:

HMQueenElizabethII 05-19-2005 07:24 AM

The Royal Court in Belgium has confirmed that King Albert and Queen Paola will pay a state visit to the People's Republic of China 4-11 June. No more news on programme.

Jelka 05-24-2005 11:54 AM

10 Attachment(s)
The members of the royal family during a lunch with the members of the jury of the International Music Competition Queen Elisabeth of Belgium - Violin, in the castle of Laeken:

Jelka 05-24-2005 11:55 AM

4 Attachment(s)
More pictures:

Hannelore 05-24-2005 01:42 PM

Thanks Jelka ! :):):)

Great and nice gesture of them to offer lunch to the jury members. Also nice to see Fabiola again.

Needless to say I think Mathilde looks good, but I especially like Astrid's silk skirt, very classy and beautiful.

marezdote 05-25-2005 02:40 PM

3 Attachment(s)
A few more from Seeger Press.

Mette2 05-25-2005 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by marezdote
A few more from Seeger Press.

Also more pictures at this link:

http://www.royalpress.nl/elisabeth.html

marezdote 05-26-2005 06:38 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Here are some mor efrom Seeger Press. Mathilde looked lovely IMO. Red is a good color on her.

marezdote 05-26-2005 06:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
One more from Seeger Press.

Cathérine Bergeyck 05-26-2005 02:53 PM

8 Attachment(s)
05/05/2005

Albert & Paola at the ceremony for the anual queen Paola prize for education which goes to a school/teacher/initiative from each of the three communities.

At the royal palace in Brussels

Mette2 05-27-2005 04:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
From Getty Images.

May 27th 2005.

Albert and Paola were in Sweden today.

Royalties pose next to a bust of former Queen Astrid as they took part in the inauguration of the exhibition "Astrid - a princess of Sweden - Queen of Belgium" at the Hall of State in the Royal Palace, Stockholm.

marezdote 05-28-2005 04:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mette2

Royalties pose next to a bust of former Queen Astrid as they took part in the inauguration of the exhibition "Astrid - a princess of Sweden - Queen of Belgium" at the Hall of State in the Royal Palace, Stockholm.

For more pics of this event go to http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...090#post219090

Cathérine Bergeyck 05-29-2005 08:10 AM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

May 27th 2005.

More pictures from the concert and the opening of the exhibition

Alexandria 06-05-2005 02:33 PM

I have put the posts so far of King Albert and Queen Paola's visit to China in a separate thread. I think such a historic visit deserves its own special thread!

You can see it here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ead.php?t=6123.

martha-louise 06-10-2005 02:08 PM

Since april, I see that the king is always wearing, at any occasion, a black tie. Also in China I see him with a black tie. Does anybody can guess the reason?

KikkiB 06-10-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by martha-louise
Since april, I see that the king is always wearing, at any occasion, a black tie. Also in China I see him with a black tie. Does anybody can guess the reason?

It might have something to do with the fact that the King lost his sister in April, and that he still is mourning her.

Emily 06-10-2005 05:55 PM

I think he lost his sister early in the New Year. Somewhere I read that they had a very close relationship, though, which I think I read is down to the fact that King Albert is her younger brother and since they lost their mother while both were quite young she was "motherly" toward him.

KikkiB 06-10-2005 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emily
I think he lost his sister early in the New Year. Somewhere I read that they had a very close relationship, though, which I think I read is down to the fact that King Albert is her younger brother and since they lost their mother while both were quite young she was "motherly" toward him.

On the other hand, aren't Belgians catholics? It might be due to the passing of Pope John Paul that he keeps wearing a black tie. Just my thinking...

Cathérine Bergeyck 06-11-2005 04:27 AM

I think it will rather be the death of his sister, Albert and Joséphine-Charlotte were very close. During her illness she was also treated in Brussels and often stayed at her brother's home where she had her own rooms.

Jelka 06-15-2005 01:50 PM

10 Attachment(s)
King Albert, Queen Paola and Princess Mathilde received the Ambassadors, accredited to the King since July 7th 2004, and their wives today for a reception at the Castle of Laeken

Jelka 06-15-2005 01:53 PM

10 Attachment(s)
More photos:

mandyy 06-15-2005 02:53 PM

8 Attachment(s)
More photos of the Belgian Royal Family and ambassadors, in Brussels, Belgium on June 15, 2005.

Mette2 06-15-2005 06:33 PM

Thanks for the wonderful pictures Jelka and mandyy. Both Mathilde and Paola look very lovely and I like their clothes - and Albert looks nice too. I think Mathilde's belly look big already, and there's still 4 months to go. But I must admit I don't really know if it looks the normal size of someone who's 5 months pregnant. Can't wait to see the belly getting bigger, or even better to see the new baby. :)

HMQueenElizabethII 06-18-2005 07:23 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The King received Romanian President on 16th June:

Mathilde1286 06-20-2005 02:34 PM

Does anyone know what the agenda is going to be like this year for National Day?

Alexandria 06-23-2005 10:26 PM

I have merged all the posts from the June 22, 2005 photoshoot of the Belgian royal family into one thread, which can be found here: http://www.theroyalforums.com/forum...read.php?t=6299.

rchainho 06-26-2005 03:34 PM

King's 'lovechild banned from gala dinner' Sunday, 26 June 2005 http://www.royalarchive.com/images/s...ngalbertii.jpg

The out-of-wedlock daughter of King Albert, 37-year-old Delphine Boël was not welcome at a gala dinner of the Belgian employers association VBO on Thursday night.

In reaction, Belgian press were intensely speculating that her absence was due to the fact Boël's half-brother Crown Prince Filip was to attend the event with his wife Princess Mathilde.

The presence of Boël was reportedly thought to be too provocative, prompting Boël's mother to give an angry interview with French-language news service RTBF.

Sybille de Selys-Longchamps was also critical of the fact one of her daughter's artworks had almost been banned from an exhibition to celebrate 175 years of Belgian independence. The event is being held at the Heizel centre in Brussels.

A Charleroi-based business was told that it might not be appropriate to use at its exhibition stand an artwork made by the king's out-of-wedlock daughter.

The company also invited Boël to attend the VBO gala dinner at the Heizel. She was to be one of 2,250 guests attending the event.

But the firm was also told Boël's presence would be too provocative, due to the attendance of Prince Filip and his wife.

De Selys-Longchamps said her daughter is being discriminated against and claimed it was not the first time either.

She had an affair with King Albert between 1966 and 1984 and Boël was born in 1968, some eight years after Prince Filip.

Expatica News 24 June 2005

rchainho 07-07-2005 09:45 AM

King Albert opens massive
Deurganck Dock in Antwerp

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...ock+in+Antwerp

Cathérine Bergeyck 07-07-2005 02:56 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by rchainho
King Albert opens massive
Deurganck Dock in Antwerp

http://www.expatica.com/source/site_...ock+in+Antwerp

King Albert attends the inauguration of the Deurganckdok July 6, 2005 in Antwerp, Belgium. The Deurganckdok at the port of Antwerp is the largest dock of the European ports, with a capacity that goes up to 68 million tons of goods in container traffic.

Danielle 07-10-2005 12:06 AM

I hope these photos haven't been posted yet. Most of them look fairly similar. From Belga

ZEEBRUGGE, BELGIUM: King Albert II and Defence Minister Andre Flahaut (R) attend the naval parade of the Belgian army, Friday 08 July 2005.

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/7...48446za.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/8...48481oc.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/5...48493vl.th.jpg

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/1...48683nn.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/1...48720ir.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/7...48730ij.th.jpg

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/5...48772kh.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/4...48883kz.th.jpg

Danielle 07-10-2005 12:06 AM

Some more:

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/6...48896cb.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/7...48910xz.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/6...48925cy.th.jpg

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/3...48931og.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/5...48943ih.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/3...49211rj.th.jpg

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/3...49147dh.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/2...49157eg.th.jpg http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/6...49152rt.th.jpg

http://img298.imageshack.us/img298/6...49128zc.th.jpg

mandyy 07-11-2005 06:57 PM

10 Attachment(s)
From Gettyimages
King Albert and Queen Paola visit historic farms involved in the "Art at the Farm" project, in Heers on Flemish Community Day July 11, 2005 in Limburg, Belgium.

mandyy 07-11-2005 06:58 PM

8 Attachment(s)
More photos from gettyimages

Alisa 07-12-2005 12:17 AM

Did the King and the Queen speak Dutch in Limburg?

maxima88 07-12-2005 05:11 AM

I think the Queen is getting less glamoures since she is older, I don't know how to say. But her outfit like for to day is not really Queen style. I mean I don't really like the style of Queen Beatrix and Queen Elisabeth. But it's not what normal people are wearing.
As for instance I really like the style of Queen Sofia and Queen Silvia. It's not over done, but it's chic.

princess gertrude 07-12-2005 08:20 AM

I love the fact that Queen Paola is wearing what "normal" people wear. I think she looks wonderful in her outfit, very fitting for her outing. IMO she just keeps getting better with age, let's face it, how many women her age look that good? Also, the fact that she isn't dressing up would seem to me to make her that much more approachable to the "normal" people at the event. Also, I know that some days I just don't feel like getting all dressed up, I just want to feel comfortable, maybe this is what she felt comfortable in that day.

rchainho 07-12-2005 10:39 AM

Belgian king honours Dardenne brothers after Cannes movie success

http://www.mytelus.com/news/article....icleID=1976856

GrandDuchess 07-12-2005 11:07 AM

I think Queen Paola looks great, very summery and natural. Yummie cakes they got to nibble on there! :)

dianafan 07-12-2005 11:20 AM

Quote:

Did the King and the Queen speak Dutch in Limburg?
yes the queen speaks Dutch in limburg that she nevertheless tries!
I have her nevertheless already Dutch hear talk on the news!I speak myself Dutch I can it therefore know! :D

dianafan 07-12-2005 11:23 AM

in limburg they speak Dutch! And the king speaks complete well Dutch without French emphasis! :D

Alisa 07-12-2005 04:48 PM

Thanks dianafan. I have read that the Queen's Dutch isn't that great, so I was curious if she still made the attempt to try to speak it in Limburg.:)

dianafan 07-12-2005 05:50 PM

Prince I have already met Filip and he seekt I have also already met Dutch without French emphasis, princess Astrid but she speaks with a French emphasis but queen Paola I have not yet met but her have I already Dutch hear talk on the news! She has once extra Dutch lessons learned but Dutch easy or write are not learn speak! :D

Mette2 07-12-2005 07:33 PM

10 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by mandyy
King Albert and Queen Paola visit historic farms involved in the "Art at the Farm" project, in Heers on Flemish Community Day July 11, 2005 in Limburg, Belgium.

From Belga.

More pictures from their visit.

Mette2 07-12-2005 07:36 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

From Belga.

More pictures from their visit.

From Belga.

And more pictures.

Alexandria 07-12-2005 10:00 PM

The Belgian royals seem to be keeping up a schedule of royal engagements (Albert and Paola yesterday and Phillippe and Mathilde today), while it seems the Norwegian royals are on holiday already and the Swedish royals have also enjoyed some time off already peppered with royal engagements now and then, though less frequently.

When are the Belgian royals taking off on their holidays? And what might they be doing? Do they go somewhere annually? Do they have a summer home somewhere?

dianafan 07-12-2005 10:13 PM

Quote:

When are the Belgian royals taking off on their holidays? And what might they be doing? Do they go somewhere annually? Do they have a summer home somewhere?
King Albert and queen Paola has somewhere in France a stay, queen Fabiola does not sit generally in Spain at its family, the rest of the royal family weet I it! generally we can that do not know! Filip and Mathilde visit Paola and Albert in their summer stay, but on 21 July we have firstly still a holiday and afterwards leave the royal family on travel!

dianafan 07-12-2005 10:24 PM

On 21 July we have a holiday, CELEBRATE firstly OF the DYNASTY and then come all soldiers pulp veins for the king in Brussels! With planes, tanks, red cross, everything with the army what to do has! Afterwards the Belgian royal family on holiday leaves!

Hannelore 07-13-2005 02:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandria
The Belgian royals seem to be keeping up a schedule of royal engagements (Albert and Paola yesterday and Phillippe and Mathilde today), while it seems the Norwegian royals are on holiday already and the Swedish royals have also enjoyed some time off already peppered with royal engagements now and then, though less frequently.

Traditionnally the family leaves on holiday after teh national day (July 21st).

Paola & Albert have a residence in the South of France, Fabiola in Spain (Motril).

I expect Filip & Mathilde to stay in Belgium, because of her advanced pregnancy.

Hannelore 07-13-2005 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alisa
Thanks dianafan. I have read that the Queen's Dutch isn't that great, so I was curious if she still made the attempt to try to speak it in Limburg.:)

Limburg is a province in Flanders. No-one in the RF would ever get it in their head to talk French in Flanders. Ever. That would be a total lack of respect towards 60 % of the Belgian population.

Paola's Dutch is bad, she knows it and even though she's done several attempts to improve it (lessons etc.) it hasn't altered much. You notice that when she speaks it, she's aware that it's not good and it makes her shy and hesitant.

The rest of the RF speaks Dutch very well. Astrid & Mathilde have a French accent but that's inevitable when you were raised in French, and IMO it isn't important (Fabiola has a spanish accent, queen Astrid had a Swedish one etc. - I expect princess Mary has an English accent in Danish too etc.)

The only one I've never heard speaking Dutch is Claire (except at the engagement, a few words). When in Flanders, Laurent always does the talking, and she just stands behind him, I have no idea wether her Dutch is bad or good ...

aliocha 07-13-2005 02:03 PM

does prince Lorenz speak dutch ??

Hannelore 07-13-2005 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by aliocha
does prince Lorenz speak dutch ??

Yes. With a German accent :)

He gave an interview in Dutch to Flemish tv at the beatification of his grandfather last year.

He gave me a pleasant surprise, very nice man. Very down to earth.

Mette2 07-14-2005 05:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelka
Some older pictures: new year reception at the royal palace, January 9th, 2003:

Thank you for the pictures Jelka. :) Nice to see some old pictures. A really beautiful brooch Paola is wearing.

dianafan 07-15-2005 03:07 PM

Quote:

I expect Filip & Mathilde to stay in Belgium, because of her advanced pregnancy.
When princess Mathilde was pregnant from Gabriël visits Prince Filip and Mathilde the
residence in the South of France with the parents of Prince Filip! Why wouldn't they go now then? Only to rests to come for the labour! They have their holiday well deserves after all that work of a complete year!

Hannelore 07-15-2005 03:23 PM

No, that was when she was expecting Elisabeth, she hadn't been working much (I mean royal duties) during that pregnancy because she was studying to finish her exams (psychology), and the doctor ordered her some rest.

Of course it's well posible they go somewhere - I'm just guessing.

Mette2 07-16-2005 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jelka
Some older pictures: King Albert, Queen Paola, Prince Filip and Princess Mathilde receive representatives of the NAVO, 14/01/2003

Thank you for the pictures Jelka. Great you're able to post pictures from Isopix, and I haven't seen some of these before. :)

Hannelore 07-16-2005 02:24 PM

Great job jelka :)

Isopix has really good quality photos.

Leander België 07-17-2005 07:59 AM

Last night, the Belgian King and Queen attended a dance event in Ieper (Ypres) and here is a link I found. It was one of twelve dance events organized in Belgium (including Brussels, Antwerp …) in celebrating 175 years of Belgian Independence and 25 years of federalism. Prince Filip attended the event in Eupen and Prince Laurent attended the one in La Roche.
http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_m...x.html?video_2

Hannelore 07-17-2005 08:20 AM

6 Attachment(s)
It was really a great event, also to celebrate 175 years of Belgium and to prove that Belgians are still united (in fun :)). In twelve cities in the country people came to the market square to dance the same dance at the same moment, a new invented dance ( by Belgian choreographe Anne Teresa de Keersmaeker) to a Belgian song "Ik hou van u" (" I love you"), a sweet little waltz from a Flemish singer - for the occasion the song had also been released in French.

It was a great success, I think 40.000 people participated.

The king and queen came to watch in Ieper (Flanders). Filip danced along in Eupen (german speaking part of Belgium) and Laurent in La Roche (Wallonia).

Here are some pics from Belga

Hannelore 07-17-2005 08:27 AM

Also to celebrate 175 years of Belgium a big motoparade was organized from the Panne (at the coast) to Brussels, retracing the route Leopold I made when he came to Belgium to accept the throne. The mayor of Brussels led the parade on his motorbike.

King Albert II came to greet the bikers at their arrival, which was greatly appreciated.

Albert used to be a motorfreak himself (one of the reasons why he's very popular in Belgium), but he gave it up a few years ago (he's 71 after all) after he fell and broke his ankle.

One of the bikers offered him a ride but he said "I'ts very kind of you, but I promised the queen I woudn't do it anymore. And there are too many witnesses here to break that promise" :)

He did pose on one of the motorbikes.

Here's a video :

http://www.vrtnieuws.net/nieuwsnet_m...ers/index.html

bigheadshirmp 07-17-2005 02:50 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Caption:
BRUSSELS, BEGIUM - JULY 17: Brussels Mayor Freddy Thielemans (L) lends his Harley Davidson to King Albert of Belgium near the Heysel Stadion on July 17, 2005 in Brussels, Belgium. (Photo by Mark Renders/Getty Images)

mandyy 07-20-2005 03:21 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Blankenberghe sand sculpture festival., in Blankenberghe, Belgium,20050715
photo from newscom
#1: King Albert and Queen Paola
#2: King Albert
#3: King Leopold the 1st

Josefine 08-01-2005 02:12 PM

how long as albert been a king now
and have i missed a thread about news on him and paula

KikkiB 08-02-2005 02:33 AM

He has been king since August 9, 1993.