The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Harald and Queen Sonja (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f180/)
-   -   Harald & Sonja Visit the United States 2005 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f180/harald-and-sonja-visit-the-united-states-2005-a-5263.html)

pdas1201 02-28-2005 05:10 PM

4 Attachment(s)
February 28, 2005: King Harald and Queen Sonja met with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan and his wife Nane at the Secretary's residence in New York.

Anp and Getty Images

norwegianne 02-28-2005 06:21 PM

King Harald and Queen Sonja visit the US

King Harald and Queen Sonja have begun a nine-day official visit to the US. The background for the visit is this year's centennial celebrations of Norway as a free and independent nation.

The US was one of the first nations to give diplomatic recognition to Norway.

On Sunday the Royal Couple visited the Norwegian Seamen's Church in New York, where they also met many members of the Norwegian community in the city.

On Monday Queen Sonja opens an exhibition at Scandinavia House, which includes paintings from her own private art collection.

The King and the Queen will also have lunch with UN Secreatary General Kofi Annan and his wife Nane.

The Royals will also visit Ground Zero. The Norwegian architect firm Snoehetta has been awarded the task of designing part of the Memorial Musseum on the site.

On Monday evening there will be a concert by the Oslo Cathedral Choir at the St. Thomas Church on Manhattan, while the Oslo Philharmonic Orchestra will perform at the Kennedy Centre in Washington at the end of the visit next Monday.

(NRK)

http://www.norwaypost.no/content.asp...03&folder_id=1

pdas1201 02-28-2005 11:57 PM

7 Attachment(s)
King Harald and Queen Sonja in New York

UK Press

GrandDuchess 03-01-2005 09:06 AM

From Aftenposten yesterday:

1 Attachment(s)
Royals launch US tour

The Norwegian Seaman's Church in New York was packed Sunday evening to welcome King Harald and Queen Sonja. The royal couple was starting a weeklong visit to the US, to celebrate 100 years of diplomatic relations between the two nations.

The US was the first country to recognize Norway's sovereignty when it broke out of a rocky union with Sweden in 1905. That's why it's among the countries getting royal visits this year, as members of the Norwegian royal family travel around the world in their homeland's centennial year.

Queen Sonja has been in Antarctica and London in the past two weeks, while Crown Princess Mette-Marit headed for Malawi and Crown Prince Haakon to Sierra Leone. Haakon will travel to Japan in mid-March.

Eleven countries will be visited in direct connection with Norway's centennial: Sweden, Denmark, Germany, Great Britain, France, Russia, China, South Africa, India, Canada and the US.

The king and queen are starting out in New York before heading on to Houston and Washington. Sunday evening's event at the Seaman's Church highlighted young Norwegian and Norwegian-American artists, part of a cultural theme that's especially important to Queen Sonja.

She took 75 of her own paintings by Norwegian artists to New York, for an exhibition to be called, simply, "Norway." The exhibition features 13 contemporary Norwegian artists including Mariann Heske, Kåre Tveter and Ørnulf Opdahl.

The Norwegian royals were officialy welcomed to New York by Mayor Michael Bloomberg on Monday morning. A visit to Ground Zero was on the program, along with a concert in St Thomas Church and lunch with UN Secretary General Kofi Annan.

While most of the centennial events planned within Norway are based on a historic and nostalgic theme, those overseas are meant to promote the modern-day Norway. Norwegian officials and the royals are keen to present Norway as a partner for peace and as a resourceful, knowledgeable and high-tech oriented society.

Mandy 03-01-2005 04:01 PM

Article in Norwegian
http://www.aftenposten.no/kul_und/article968008.ece

Anita 03-02-2005 08:34 AM

There was a ball given yesterday evening in New-York in honour of the King and the Queen .
Here is an article in Aftenposten ... + photo :)

http://www.aftenposten.no/nyheter/ko...icle983669.ece

Larzen 03-02-2005 01:30 PM

8 Attachment(s)
More pictures from the ball at Scandinavian House and From the art exhibition and the Queens lecture.

I really think the Queen looks very good theese days, she looked so depressed when the King was sick and in the months after but now she really looks very happy. However I think that when you have passed 60 its time to stop with the strapless gowns, and I wish she would not blond her hair quite as much

Mandy 03-02-2005 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen
More pictures from the ball at Scandinavian House and From the art exhibition and the Queens lecture.

I really think the Queen looks very good theese days, she looked so depressed when the King was sick and in the months after but now she really looks very happy. However I think that when you have passed 60 its time to stop with the strapless gowns, and I wish she would not blond her hair quite as much

Thanks for the photos Larzen. Yes, Sonja does look very happy. Is she wearing a new gown?

Larzen 03-02-2005 04:43 PM

No she has worn it atleast 3 or 4 times before, birthday of Erling Lorentzen and Dinner for storitinget in 2003 and prewedding dinner for Felipe and Letizia, its by the palace seemstress Anna Bratland

Genevieve 03-02-2005 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen

I think Sonja looks really good on this trip too. Everything she is wearing seems pulled together and she seems to have life and spirit back in her face again. Back at Christmas time in the pictures with her grandchildren I noticed how good Sonja was looking and how back to her spirited self she seemed again.

I don't agree about the strapless gowns though. I think the Queen looks pretty good for her age (who would've thought she's a grandmother?) and as long as she feels comfortable in them why not wear them? It would be one thing if Sonja felt self-conscious about them but she doesn't seem to be. She seems to be quite enjoying herself with that dance. It's really just a bit of bare shoulders and arms, we're not talking about exposing more of her chest or extreme cleavage or anything so what's the big deal?

She also had a cover up for part of the evening. So it looks like she took off the cover up for just part of the evening, like when dancing, so nothing even "disrespectful" about her appearance.

Dennism 03-02-2005 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Genevieve
I don't agree about the strapless gowns though. I think the Queen looks pretty good for her age (who would've thought she's a grandmother?) and as long as she feels comfortable in them why not wear them? It would be one thing if Sonja felt self-conscious about them but she doesn't seem to be. She seems to be quite enjoying herself with that dance. It's really just a bit of bare shoulders and arms, we're not talking about exposing more of her chest or extreme cleavage or anything so what's the big deal?

I second that. Well said, Genevieve. Sonja looks great and happy.

sara1981 03-03-2005 01:18 AM

both looks great!

what about see the zero of 9/11 pictures? or not! and both will meet President Bush and Lauren Bush?

Sara Boyce

servingsophie 03-03-2005 01:41 AM

I love Her Majesty's fur coat! It makes her look so refined and regal.

Mandy 03-03-2005 03:05 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 01-03-2005 Aaron Marcial, 5, of New York, right, presents Queen Sonja of Norway, front center, with a bouquet of flowers, as her husband King Harald V, left, looks on during a kick off event of the New York Road Runners Foundation and Norwegian Consulate in New York at Public School 161 in New York Tuesday March 1, 2005. The royal couple met with NYRR Foundation student athletes who have been selected to visit Norway as part of an exchange program organized by the New York Road Runners Foundation and Norwegian Consulate in honor of 100 years of diplomatic relations between the United States and Norway. (AP Photo/Tina Fineberg)

Mandy 03-03-2005 03:07 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 01-03-2005 King Harald V of Norway, second from left, and Queen Sonja of Norway, second from right, pose with Ashley Stephenson, 11, left, and Ebony Claxton, 11, both of New York, during a kick off event of the New York Road Runners Foundation and Norwegian Consulate in New York at Public School 161 in New York Tuesday March 1, 2005. Stephenson and Claxton were two of five children participating in the New York Road Runners Foundation running program selected to visit Norway as part of an exchange program organized by the NYRR Foundation and Norwegian Consulate in honor of 100 years of diplomatic relations between the United States and Norway. (AP Photo/Tina Fineberg)

Mandy 03-03-2005 03:10 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 02-03-2005 Queen Sonja of Norway, center, officially opens with a ribbon cutting ceremony the "C for Courage" touring exhibit at the Children's Museum in Houston, Wednesday, March 2, 2005. "C for Courage" made by the Norwegian Children's Museum in Stavanger is based on the UN Convention on the Rights of a Child. (AP Photo / Michael Stravato)

Polfoto 02-03-2005 Queen Sonja of Norway, center, is greeted by the University of Texas MD Anderson Cancer Center President John Mendelsohn, right, and Vice President Dr. Thomas Brown, left at the new Ambulatory Clinical Building in Houston Wednesday March 2, 2005. (AP Photo / Michael Stravato)

bct88 03-03-2005 08:33 PM

I have heard on the Scandinavian Royals Message Board that H.M. Queen Sonja will be on CNN. Has anyone else heard this? If it is true, will it be on in the United States?

Lyonnaise 03-04-2005 02:22 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 02-03-2005 King Harald V of Norway, left, received the keys to the city and a cowboy hat from Houston Mayor Bill White at the Houstonian Hotel Wednesday, March 2, 2005, at the U.S. - Norway Oil and Gas Industry Summit in Houston.

Lyonnaise 03-04-2005 02:24 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 03-03-2005 Queen Sonja of Norway receives flowers and a greeting from Mathias Fosse, 5, as King Harald V, left, looks on upon their arrival at the Norwegian Seaman's Church in Pasadena, Texas Thursday, March 3, 2005. (AP Photo/Pat Sullivan)

Lyonnaise 03-04-2005 02:25 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Polfoto 04-03-2005 President of the Carnegie Institution, Richard Meserve, center, laughs with Norwegian King Harald V and Queen Sonja after a press conference at the Carnegie Institution on Friday, March 4, 2005 in Washington.