The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/)
-   -   King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie 1: December 2002-April 2005 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f197/king-constantine-and-queen-anne-marie-1-december-2002-april-2005-a-523.html)

Jacqueline 04-01-2004 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandra@Apr 1st, 2004 - 12:19 pm
:shock: What is she doing in Boston? :shock:
I believe that she is attending school there.

Alexandria 04-01-2004 09:10 AM

Is it Brown University she's attending? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.

Jacqueline 04-01-2004 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alexandria@Apr 1st, 2004 - 2:10 pm
Is it Brown University she's attending? I thought I remember reading that somewhere.
If she is attending school in Boston, then she isn't at Brown. Brown is in Providence, Rhode Island.

She could be attending any number of good schools in Boston, however. Such as: Boston Conservarotry, Boston Univ., Emerson College, Emmanuel College, Suffolk...to name few. There are many schools in Boston.

cuervo 04-06-2004 07:26 AM

Maybe M.I.T.,Tuffts,Harvard.......?

USCtrojan 04-06-2004 08:43 PM

I love Boston. It will be interesting to see/find out what his majesty is doing or going to do in Boston. One of my favorite cities by far.

Chanel

kcc 05-16-2004 08:00 AM

i love this photo.beutifull anna-maria still so pretty at almost sixty.

Alexandria 05-16-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kcc@May 16th, 2004 - 8:00 am
I agree. Queen Anne Marie is one of the most beautiful women in the world. She exudes class, elegance and grace in everything she does. Her smile, I think, is one of the loveliest smiles ever. Of her sisters, I think she is the prettiest one.

Unfortunate that Greece's monarchy isn't still in existence so that we could see more of this lovely Queen on a daily basis and in action. I believe she would've served Greece very well.

samitude 05-17-2004 09:30 AM

I have seen that tiara many times, but I don't believe I've ever seen the emeralds light up like that!

Jackswife 05-17-2004 09:36 AM

She's got a quiet kind of charisma to her, a very natural ease and elegance. And the emeralds make me swoon! A true royal timeless beauty. :flower:

Bubbette 05-21-2004 05:25 PM

She keeps looking better and better. Who is her surgeon! http://cache.gettyimages.com/comp/50883629...9C30E9B9B114CE8

cuervo 05-23-2004 05:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by kcc@May 16th, 2004 - 7:00 am
Gosh !!She looks 30 maximum!!As for my King almost 33-slightly older... :flower:

ReinaMissy 06-02-2004 10:16 AM

Cuervo, according to the wonderful book "A Place For Us" by now-U.S. citizen Nicholas Gage (born Nikola Gatzoiyannis in Lia), in Greece they don't celebrate birthdays, but name days. He was born in July 1939 but says that December 6 - the feast day of St. Nicholas - was what he always celebrated.

Is this still the custom or do people celebrate birthdays as well?

Angela - Natalia 06-02-2004 12:21 PM

:flower: From my late teens my saints day was 'little birthday' but the date clashes with something else so I don't keep it anymore. :(

cuervo 06-04-2004 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by ReinaMissy@Jun 2nd, 2004 - 9:16 am
Cuervo, according to the wonderful book "A Place For Us" by now-U.S. citizen Nicholas Gage (born Nikola Gatzoiyannis in Lia), in Greece they don't celebrate birthdays, but name days. He was born in July 1939 but says that December 6 - the feast day of St. Nicholas - was what he always celebrated.

Is this still the custom or do people celebrate birthdays as well?

He is a wonderfull writter and one of my favored!His book "Eleni"refered to his mother and generally to wwII era (partizan war)has been republished recently and as I heard sells well in Greece...I don't know if he added some chapters more,than the old edition,of the book-I must find out....

Anyway,the question was wether greeks celebrate name day more than their birthdays...Usually women don't celebrate birthdays after their 30's,focusing more on their name days !!Anyway,Cage left Greece at a young age and during the war,so I don't know the habbits of this era.

If the name days of father's and his son or mother's and her daughter are diary close they both selebrate 'em the same day.....That is all I know!!

Do you know if this book "A Place for us "is published in Greek also??

ReinaMissy 06-04-2004 01:21 PM

I'm not certain of that, but I'd check his official website (http://www.nickgage.com).

There are many references to the language in there; the funniest is when his older sister Olga was attempting to learn English and the teacher wanted her to say "Mary puts on her hat". The ultra-conservative Olga was horrified because the phrase "puts on" sounded almost exactly like putsa, which she couldn't bring herself to say! :lol:

moody 06-05-2004 01:23 PM

:wacko: Oh my God!!He has three sisters!Did they all learned English like that??Unfortunately the book has not yet been translated into Greek......

ReinaMissy 06-05-2004 02:22 PM

Actually he has 4 older sisters: Olga, Alexandra (called Kanta), Glykeria and Fotini. He writes that Kanta took to English very easily; Olga struggled quite a bit with it.

Eventually they all learned English ;)

cuervo 06-06-2004 08:28 AM

FOUR older sisters!!!He must feel either a herow or a king!Did he ever get married??Anyway as far as I know he's a hell of writter!!I only know his book Eleni,I also know that there was a film about his book...I remember Greek goverment didn't allow to shoot scenes of the film in Leas(Ioannina).so they went to Spain in an simmilar terrain..After when thw film was done,pro -communists made demonstrations out of the Cinemas!!A contre-edition after the title "The other Eleni"was written (a fiasco)....So, that is all I know

ReinaMissy 06-06-2004 02:33 PM

Yes - to a former Presbyterian from Minnesota, just like me! (actually, my mother is from Minnesota - I'm from Michigan). She converted to the Greek Orthodox form of Christianity so there would be no problems.

I know he has written that he has three children; I did a web search and saw a picture of his now adult son Christos; it's clear that he's dad's son. They look alike!

Bubbette 06-20-2004 12:16 PM

That photo looks about 40 years old. Is she still with him?