The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Style File (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/)
-   -   Moroccan dresses and their influence in the fashion! (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f97/moroccan-dresses-and-their-influence-in-the-fashion-4901.html)

Monalisa 01-28-2005 05:18 PM

Moroccan dresses and their influence in the fashion!

Hi all,post here pictures of royals and celebrities wearing moroccan "taraditionnal" dresses or stylish dresses with moroccan inspiration!

Monalisa 01-28-2005 05:25 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Moroccan princess wearing L.meryem and L.Soukaina wearing moroccan "takchita" and queen rania in a blue dress from the Lebanese designer "Elie Saab" with a 100% ispiration from moroccan takchitas!

Monalisa 01-28-2005 05:44 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Q.Rania wearing a dress from elie saab, exactly a moroccan takchita:2pieces,embroidement around the coalr and through the middle of the dress till the bottom,and the opened embroidement(profile) from the waist to the bottom.

I don't know other traditionnal arab dresses with espaecially those things!

Monalisa 01-28-2005 05:50 PM

2 Attachment(s)
One of my favourites is this one from PL.Salma's engagement.

Monalisa 01-28-2005 06:16 PM

2 Attachment(s)
moroccan princesses:

Monalisa 01-28-2005 06:22 PM

2 Attachment(s)
1-The mother of princess rem wearing a blue multicoloured moroccan takchita at her daughter's wedding with prince ali of jordan,princess rym is wearing a dress with circassian inspiration(2pieces similar to the moroccan takchita but the sleeves are long and opned till the middle of the arm,theunder piece is tight)

2-Princess Nour wearing a simple white one at her wedding with prince Hamzah of jordan.

Monalisa 01-28-2005 06:58 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Closer detail of embroidement around the colar.

Blueice 01-28-2005 07:20 PM

4 Attachment(s)
Lovely idea for a thread, Monalisa.

TAMY TAZI FASHION SHOW ISPIRED BY MAROCCAN TRADITIONAL COSTUMES AT THE WORLD ARAB INSTITUTE - these are not traditional Moroccan creations, but contemporary couture inspired by them, yet their unique style makes them rather interesting.

Credits: www.corbis.com

abir 01-28-2005 07:34 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Hi Monalisa, thanks for the new thread called "Moroccan dresses and their influence in the fashion"

For Rania dress and Elie Saab inspiration, my remark is why it can't be the way around which means: other culture drsses who influence Moroccan dress (Morocco was originaly berber and berber cloths are different, so kaftan style was introduced to Morocco by the arabs)
or simply arab dresees look similar due to same history and culture. For example circassian women dress is similar to Moroccan one but details are different and circassian women wear this style for decades. So to me I beleive Rania dress is more influenced by circassian dress (which are part of Jordan) than from a far country like Morocco. I post down pictures where you can see the similarities.

Now about "Moroccan dresses influence in the fashion", I love to add this one:

The Hippies of the sixties had brought with them clothes from other ethnic groupings which had often never even been seen before. Nehru jackets and loose flowing robes from hot countries made their way to world cities and permeated down to mainstream fashion, helped of course by designers like Yves St Laurent.

From the mid to late 70s, caftans, kaftans, kimonos, muumuus, djellaba (a Moroccan robe with a pointed hood) or jalabiya (a loose eastern robe) and other styles from every part of the Indian sub continent and Africa were translated into at home style robes and comfort wear. They were worked in every fabric imaginable, but were especially suited as glamour dressing when worked in exotic fabrics and edged in silver or metallic trims.

From http://www.fashion-era.com/1970s.htm...%20Or%20Kaftan

Monalisa 01-28-2005 08:23 PM

5 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by abir
Hi Monalisa, thanks for the new thread called "Moroccan dresses and their influence in the fashion"

For Rania dress and Elie Saab inspiration, my remark is why it can't be the way around which means: other culture drsses who influence Moroccan dress (Morocco was originaly berber and berber cloths are different, so kaftan style was introduced to Morocco by the arabs)
or simply arab dresees look similar due to same history and culture. For example circassian women dress is similar to Moroccan one but details are different and circassian women wear this style for decades. So to me I beleive Rania dress is more influenced by circassian dress (which are part of Jordan) than from a far country like Morocco. I post down pictures where you can see the similarities.

Now about "Moroccan dresses influence in the fashion", I love to add this one:

The Hippies of the sixties had brought with them clothes from other ethnic groupings which had often never even been seen before. Nehru jackets and loose flowing robes from hot countries made their way to world cities and permeated down to mainstream fashion, helped of course by designers like Yves St Laurent.

From the mid to late 70s, caftans, kaftans, kimonos, muumuus, djellaba (a Moroccan robe with a pointed hood) or jalabiya (a loose eastern robe) and other styles from every part of the Indian sub continent and Africa were translated into at home style robes and comfort wear. They were worked in every fabric imaginable, but were especially suited as glamour dressing when worked in exotic fabrics and edged in silver or metallic trims.

From http://www.fashion-era.com/1970s.htm...%20Or%20Kaftan

Thanks abir for the nice pictures of the circassian dresses and the informations.

I don't exclue that the moroccan traditionnal dresses got many influences from other cultures,but the thing which does from it what they are now is the specificity of the moroccan culture,so you can't find the same dresses in the closer countries for example algeria or tunisia,the "takchitas" are a specificity for morocco.

As for rania's dresses the blue one and the golden-beige,i see them more closer than the moroccan takchitas than the circssian dresses,the circassian dresses have an other style,yes the 2pieces and embroidement,but the under piece is tight and the top-piece have long sleeves opened till the middle of the arm,i see more influence for the ruby one rania was wearing at festival jarash and the beige one(see bellow the pictures)an those other brown one from Elie sabb collection 2002/2003 which got the long sleeves,but the style of the blue and golden-beige is more moroccan,by Elie Saab ,and the inspiration doesn't have borders,he would not have inspiration from a closer country to queen rania bacause she would buy it!I think the collection is made from different inspirations or not and then she choose what she likes!

I don't think that rania when she was wearing those dresses(blue&golden-beige)was wearing them like tradional dresses, she was wearing them as nice dresses from an intenational disigner "Elie Saab" like she's used to wear Chanel ,YSL,or Gucci...,when she really decides to wear traditional dresses typical for jordan she wears the "jallabeyyah" as she did many times.

Monalisa.

Monalisa 01-28-2005 08:36 PM

1 Attachment(s)
NEW YORK, UNITED STATES: A model wears a coral double-faced zip front caftan with top stitch and welt detailing during the Vera Wang show at Spring 2001 Fashion Week in New York 22 September 2000. (FILM) AFP PHOTO Doug KANTER (Photo credit should read DOUG KANTER/AFP/Getty Images) Copyright:By/Title:DOUG KANTER/StringerDate Created:22 Sep 2000 12:00 AMCity, State, Country:New York, NY, United StatesCredit:AFP/Getty Images

Monalisa 01-28-2005 08:42 PM

3 Attachment(s)
correction:Nicole Kidman wearing a nice dress from Dior ,the influence from the sleevless moroccan caftans and the oriental dresses!

Monalisa 01-28-2005 08:45 PM

2 Attachment(s)
both indian and moroccan influence for the dress of princess Mary!

Monalisa 01-29-2005 12:33 AM

3 Attachment(s)
more details from the moroccan takchita,PL. Meryem.

Monalisa 01-29-2005 12:41 AM

1 Attachment(s)
such as an oriental inspiration for this dress from prada, especially for the embroidement around the colar!

Monalisa 01-29-2005 01:56 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Mrs H. Clinton wearin moroccan takchita!

Monalisa 01-29-2005 01:59 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Colin Farell,international festival of cinema of marrakesh.

Monalisa 01-29-2005 02:02 AM

1 Attachment(s)
From the festival,Caftan 2004.

Monalisa 01-29-2005 02:14 AM

1 Attachment(s)
MODEL SHOWS OUTFIT BY DESIGNER ANNA SUI CAFTAN
Légende d'origine: Model wears a fuchsia pear print silk chiffon caftan from designer Anna Sui's Fall 2001 Collection during Fashion Week in New York City, February 14, 2001. REUTERS/Bernie Nunez

Monalisa 01-29-2005 02:36 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The famous designer Yves saint-laurent with the moroccan designer Tamy Tazi at her show in Paris at the "institut du monde arabe".