The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Crown Princess Victoria, Prince Daniel and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f120/)
-   -   Victoria's Future Title? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f120/victorias-future-title-452.html)

rop81 06-15-2003 08:47 AM

Victoria's Future Title?

What do you think? Will Victoria ever access the throne?

I hope so, but iīm not sure at all. The only thing that is stopping the parlament from abolish (hope that word was right..) the monarcy is the fact that it is so popular with the people. But that could change fast, it is enough with some sort of scandals to make the opinion change.

Say what you think and hope for.

I really hope that i will se Victoria beacoming Queen Victoria II

Lena 06-15-2003 10:00 AM

I believe in a Queen Victoria!!...even if she would produce some scandals, what I donīt think. Victoria is far to canny for that. And what Iīve noticed in recent years is, that sheīs one of the few Royals, who is really honest and open to the people (I donīt say that other Royals are liars, but I think they just donīt talk that open about their feelings). Another thing is, that I donīt believe that scandals damage a monarchy as one could think in the first moment. Every family has itīs scandals and so itīs quite interesting to find persons for empathy in Royal houses. Another point is the boredom-factor. Just imagine how much boring seconds you would sum up, if the people all over the world wouldnīt have talked about Camilla and Charles!
I think itīs just important that Royals find a balance between scandalous life and serious work in ordinary of the people (e.g princess Madeleine-the scandalous factor in the swedish RF :P .)

Lena 06-15-2003 10:04 AM

...and I think she would be Victoria I !! Because her great-great-grandmother Viktoria of Baden was "just" the wife of a king but not a sovereign. And of course Victoria can not be linked to the british Queen Victoria, even if the are in a way relatives.

Emil 06-15-2003 12:14 PM

Correct, her title will be: HM Queen Victoria of Sweden.

Sean.~ 06-17-2003 02:41 PM

Hi Rop & Lena,

personally, I don't think that the royal families popularity is so superficial that the masses would demand a republic at the first hint of a scandal. The royal family has worked really hard to get to where it is since the 1970s and I think that people realize what a valuable asset they are to the country. There is also a huge cultural difference between the British and Swedes. What may make waves in the British tabloids may not even create a ripple in Sweden. Additionally, I would think that the Swedish royals have learned what kind of behaviour to avoid from the experieinces of their British cousins. Finally, with the EU, continentalism and closer European economic integration, I think the Swedes might want to retain their royal family in order to remain distinctive.

Thus, in my humble opinion, I think the Swedish monarchy will be around for a while yet.

ps. Lena, I love your avtar! I had a bunny for the 7 years, but she just past away a couple of months ago. I really, really miss her!

Sean.~

Lena 06-20-2003 09:26 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Sean.~@Jun 17th, 2003 - 1:41 pm

ps. Lena, I love your avtar! I had a bunny for the 7 years, but she just past away a couple of months ago. I really, really miss her!

Hi Sean
This is very sad. I can feel with you, because I had also 2 bunnies. One was called Fiver and the other one Frederik ( ;) ) The first died because she was quite old, the second one was killed of a marten.
And I agree, Swedes are far more liberal in view of their Royal house and even more, they deal with them in a far more respectful way.

Soli Deo Gloria 06-22-2003 05:36 AM

I belive in a future Queen Victoria of Sweden.... and i hope it will be quite soon... ;) I mean, the King is a modern King and I think it would be really cool if he "retired" when heīs 65 yeras old (just like the rest of us here in Sweden)....

(But to be honest I donīt think he will do it) / Sulan

Josefine 08-12-2003 09:48 AM

I think she will be Queen Victoria
she will not be called Queen Victoria I becouse she is the first and then one donīt need to give her a number.

I think she will have a family when she succed her father.

She was once asked how she feels about one day becomming a Queen.
She replyed
That will be a very sad day for me, becosue that means that I have lost my father.

Josefine 09-24-2003 04:57 PM

I have heard that her role model was and is Queen Ingrid of Denmark and I think she is close to Queen Margrethe

hrhcp 09-25-2003 12:06 PM

Just think, she will be the only ruling Queen in Europe, at that time !!!!
(Quite the opposite from now, with 3 queens.)

I admire her, she seems to have gained a lot of poise since her thin period of way back when. :rolleyes:

And I hope that some the humour she shows is passed on to her country folk :wacko:

USCtrojan 09-28-2003 10:49 PM

Victoria not Queen? I could not imagine her not becoming Queen. You bet she will. I dont see parliment suddenly changing their minds 23 years later. You will see a Victoria II assess the throne in Sweden one day... You bet your dollar on it... :)

Hélčne 10-01-2003 03:22 PM

I think and hope that Victoria will be Queen Victoria one day. The Republicans are still a minorty in Sweden and it's not very likely that their supporters will take advantage any time soon. The king holds a strong position as the Swedsih head of State, and one day Victoria will to.

hrhcp 10-13-2003 01:26 PM

Quote:

Hélčne  Posted: Oct 1st, 2003 - 3:22 pm

I think and hope that Victoria will be Queen Victoria one day. The Republicans are still a minorty in Sweden and it's not very likely that their supporters will take advantage any time soon. The king holds a strong position as the Swedsih head of State, and one day Victoria will to.

I heard the RF has themselves firmly established as "Ambassadors of Sweden", and I can't help but think that Victoria will be adding to that legend.

Plus ... there is a certain appeal with heads of states being royal, and I can't really see the same amount of appeal with the Nobel ceremony if Sweden was republican.

Josefine 12-18-2003 05:32 AM

Will Victoria be the first queen regent that will become queen even though she got a brother?
I was thinking that Elizabeth, Beatrix and Margrethe have become queen regent because they have no brothers,

rop81 12-27-2003 10:47 AM

I think so, I have never heard of a queen that has had a brother. I think itīs quite cool that we have this, it shows that sweden is a modern and equal (bad spelling i know... sorry) nation.

Josefine 12-27-2003 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by rop81@Dec 27th, 2003 - 4:47 pm
I think so, I have never heard of a queen that has had a brother. I think itīs quite cool that we have this, it shows that sweden is a modern and equal (bad spelling i know... sorry) nation.
Thank you for your reply

I have been wondering for a while

Robbert 12-27-2003 11:24 AM

Quote:

I was thinking that Elizabeth, Beatrix and Margrethe have become queen regent because they have no brothers
In the case of Beatrix it doesn't matter if she had a brother. The Dutch rule is that the first born will be king/queen. So if she would have got a younger brother she would still be queen

Josefine 12-27-2003 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by Robbert@Dec 27th, 2003 - 5:24 pm
Quote:

I was thinking that Elizabeth, Beatrix and Margrethe have become queen regent because they have no brothers
In the case of Beatrix it doesn't matter if she had a brother. The Dutch rule is that the first born will be king/queen. So if she would have got a younger brother she would still be queen

How long has it been this way since Beatrix was born

rop81 12-27-2003 12:24 PM

I have always belived that sweden was the first monarchy that changed the constitution so that the first child, female or male, would inherit the throne. I think i have heard it in several tv shows and articles, is it not so?

Robbert 12-27-2003 01:13 PM

Het koningschap gaat over op de wettige nakomelingen van de Koning, waarbij het oudste kind voorrang heeft. Sinds 1983 wordt er geen onderscheid meer gemaakt tusssen zonen en dochters.

You're right, the succesion law was changed in 1983, and from that moment it didn't matter wether the firstborn child was male or female. But since 1890 The Netherlands had queens, so it was not the case that if the king didn't had any sons the trone would go to an other male royal family member.