The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   General Royal Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Royal tragedies (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f12/royal-tragedies-45032.html)

carlota 06-17-2018 08:24 PM

Royal tragedies
 
the recent news of maxima's sister's death by suicide made me think that royals really are, after all, just people and that no amount of power can spare you from horrific things happening to you and your loved ones. i was young when diana's death occurred, but i imagine a lot of people will remember that. were there any royal tragedies that stayed in your head throughout these years?

for me, i add letizia's sister's death by suicide some years back. i remember it being on the front pages of the newspapers, and seeing letizia, who is very composed, stern and planned, crying. i thought the accident that friso suffered and the one that kardam of bulgaria suffered were particularly shocking, specially since they had young kids.

Countessmeout 06-17-2018 09:11 PM

All losses are hard. But when they die in a senseless way, or when they are either quite young or young children, makes it all the worse.

Queen Alia of Jordan, 28 when she died, leaving behind 2 children who were 2 and 3 years old at the time. And a 4 year old adopted daughter. Sadly for her adopted daughter, she lost both her mothers in similar ways. Her birth mother died from a plane crash at a refugee camp in 1976. A year later her adopted mother died in a helicopter crash.

Little Princess Alienor of Liechtenstein died from choking. She was less then 15 months old at the time. Her parents Prince Rudolph and Princess Tilsim live very private lives (Rudolph's father is the younger brother of Hans Adam) and the existence of their daughter wasn't publicized till after she died.

Princess B 08-20-2018 04:09 PM

I think the royal Nepal massacre was a big tragedy.

Not only were the king and queen killed, but a lot of their extended family too.
The crown prince also committed suicide.
This in my opinion eventually led to the end of the monarchy in Nepal

Moonmaiden23 08-20-2018 04:45 PM

:previous: That's the worst Royal tragedy in recent times, IMO.

I remember it, I was shocked beyond belief. I still am.:ohmy:

The sudden and violent deaths of Queen Astrid of Belgium, Queen Alia of Jordan, Diana Princess of Wales, and Princess Grace of Monaco are not far behind.

CyrilVladisla 11-08-2019 06:37 PM

On November 16, 1937, Hereditary Grand Duchess Cecilie and Hereditary Grand Duke George Donatus of Hesse and by Rhine, their two sons, Prince Ludwig and Prince Alexander, and George's mother, Grand Duchess Eleonore were traveling by plane to London to attend a family wedding. The plane crashed leaving no survivors.

Countessmeout 11-08-2019 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2266570)
On November 16, 1937, Hereditary Grand Duchess Cecilie and Hereditary Grand Duke George Donatus of Hesse and by Rhine, their two sons, Prince Ludwig and Prince Alexander, and George's mother, Grand Duchess Eleonore were traveling by plane to London to attend a family wedding. The plane crashed leaving no survivors.

Three sons. The third one if he was named before he died, we will never know. Cecile (Prince Philip's sister), was pregnant. It was determined she had actually given birth some time midflight to the baby.

Their daughter Johanna had not been on the flight. She was only a year old, likely why she was left at home. Sadly she died of meningitis less then 2 years later.

They had been headed for the wedding of George's brother Ludwig. Ludwig's wedding took place on time, but he and Margaret married in mourning clothes and then headed home for the funeral. The couple adopted Joanna and planned to raise her as their own.

Quote:

That's the worst Royal tragedy in recent times, IMO.

I remember it, I was shocked beyond belief. I still am.

The sudden and violent deaths of Queen Astrid of Belgium, Queen Alia of Jordan, Diana Princess of Wales, and Princess Grace of Monaco are not far behind.
Any death by accident are always tragic, no matter who.

But for shock value, a mass murder is something that stays in a person's mind. And when it is the murder of such a prominent group as almost an entire royal family. I remember hearing about the event. I had never heard of the Nepal royal family before. Now I will never forget.

9 members of the royal family were murdered. And four wounded. And then of course the 10th death, the shooter himself.

dead:
-King Birendra
-Queen Aishwarya
-their younger son Prince Nirajan
-Princess Shruti, their only daughter
-Prince Dhirendra, younger brother of the king
-Princess Shanti, the king's sister, the widowed Rani Bahjang (current Raja is her son)
-Princess Sharada, another sister of the king
-Sharada's husband Khadja
-Princess Jayanti, a cousin of the king

shot:
-Princess Shova-another sister of the king
-Gorakh- Shruti's husband
-Princess Komal- the king's sister in law, wife of eventual King Gyanendra
-Ketaki Chester- Princess Jayanti's sister, she had given up her title

The only adult member of the royal family (the king, his children and his siblings) not at least injured, was King Gyanendra.


I remember as a kid watching King Ralph and thinking 'that could never happen'. Okay well 100 people weren't wiped out, but the near wipe out of the royal family in one horrific event was possible.

Gawin 11-08-2019 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2266585)
Three sons. The third one if he was named before he died, we will never know. Cecile (Prince Philip's sister), was pregnant. It was determined she had actually given birth some time midflight to the baby.


Two sons is correct. The body of the third was found in the wreckage but it isn't known whether he was born during the flight or as a result of the crash.

Source: Philip Eade, Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II (2011), p. xviii.

Countessmeout 11-08-2019 10:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gawin (Post 2266597)
Two sons is correct. The body of the third was found in the wreckage but it isn't known whether he was born during the flight or as a result of the crash.

Source: Philip Eade, Prince Philip: The Turbulent Early Life Man Who Married Queen Elizabeth II (2011), p. xviii.


Newspaper articles suggest that the determination was made she had gone into labor during the flight

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...g=4248,1220727

Either way there was a third son and he died.

Gawin 11-08-2019 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2266600)
Newspaper articles suggest that the determination was made she had gone into labor during the flight

https://news.google.com/newspapers?n...g=4248,1220727

Either way there was a third son and he died.

The newspaper account is wrong. Yes there were three sons but the OP referred to the number of sons who were travelling with their parents. There were two. The third was born either during the flight or as a result of the crash.

Countessmeout 11-08-2019 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gawin (Post 2266602)
The newspaper account is wrong. Yes there were three sons but the OP referred to the number of sons who were travelling with their parents. There were two. The third was born either during the flight or as a result of the crash.

Glad we agree :flowers: He was traveling on the flight.

It wasn't about those 'born when they boarded the airplane' but those who died as result of the crash. The little prince was one of them.

And you yourself just said that he may have been born during flight, is what the paper said.

Gawin 11-08-2019 10:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Countessmeout (Post 2266604)
Glad we agree :flowers: He was traveling on the flight.

It wasn't about those 'born when they boarded the airplane' but those who died as result of the crash. The little prince was one of them.

And you yourself just said that he may have been born during flight, is what the paper said.

Nice try but the OP stated "and their two sons...traveled..." so it was about who boarded the plane. Even if the third was born mid-flight (which could never be determined) it only "traveled" from the air to the ground.

And the article you linked to didn't say the baby *may* have been born mid-flight. It clearly stated the birth caused the crash. But that's only a *theory* since the exact time of birth couldn't be determined. Therefore the article is incorrect.

Tarlita 11-08-2019 10:52 PM

That whole plane crash of 1937 was a terrible terrible tragedy that affected so many lives.
And I remember the shooting of the Nepalese Royal family by the son another terrible tragedy.

maria-olivia 11-09-2019 03:28 PM

The Murder of King Feisal of Irak and his Uncle whose body was destroyed in public.

wonderland31 11-22-2019 02:54 PM

The death of Princess Charlotte of Wales after childbirth.

Countessmeout 11-23-2019 03:24 AM

Quote:

The Murder of King Feisal of Irak and his Uncle whose body was destroyed in public.
Unfortunately Faisal and his Uncle were not the only victims.

Faisal's Uncle Abd al-llah was CP (had been regent for Faisal II when a child). He was doubly related to Faisal, closer on his mother's side. He was Faisal's maternal Uncle, Queen Aliya's younger brother. He was first cousins with Faisal's father Ghazi. Ghazi and Abd were the grandsons of Hussein, King of Hejaz. Abd's father was the eldest son Ali, Ghazi's was the third son Faisal I of Iraq. The second son was Abdullah I of Jordan, great-grandfather of the current king. At the time of the execution Faisal was single, only 23, and having no siblings, his father's cousin was a natural CP.

Abd's wife CP Hiyam, Princess Nafeesa (Faisal's maternal grandmother, Abd's mother), and Princess Abadiya (sister of Abd and Aliya, Faisal's aunt) were all executed as well as the King and CP.

Fortunately members of the family survived:

-Faisal's Aunt Badia (sister of Abd and Aliya). Her and her husband were in Baghdad at the time of the execution. They sought sanctuary at the Saudi Arabian embassy. They were later exiled, eventually settling in London. Her son Ali bin al-Hussein is politically active.

-Faisal's great uncle Zeid. He became the pretender to the throne on the death of his great nephew and nephew (he was the youngest brother of Abd and Faisal's fathers). Fortunately he was an ambassador to London at the time so he and his family were safely away. His son Prince Ra'ad is the current pretender to the throne.

-and of course the Jordanian royal family. Talal was King of Jordan (first cousin of Abd and Ghazi) at the time of the revolution in Iraq.

An Ard Ri 11-25-2019 05:02 PM

The White Ship disaster of November 25th,1120 wiped out several members of the English Royal Family and left a succession crisis that then led to the Anarchy.

Over 250 drowned the most notable were
William Adelin, Duke of Normandy (son of Henry I)
Matilda, Countess of Perche
Richard of Lincoln
Richard d'Avranches, 2nd Earl of Chester
Lucia-Mahaut , Countess of Chester

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/White_Ship


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 06:54 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises