The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Member Introductions (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f131/)
-   -   Going to Royal Garden Party ...need advice please (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f131/going-to-royal-garden-party-need-advice-please-44657.html)

Floreman 04-17-2018 11:06 AM

Going to Royal Garden Party ...need advice please
 
Hello

This is my first post on the forum. Thank you for letting me join.

I am lucky enough to be attending the garden party at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday May 15th. Naturally, I feel honoured and very excited about it.

However, I really don't know what to expect and most importantly, I don't know what to wear. I have been given the option of morning suit or lounge suit.

As this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, one part of me really wants to dress up for the occasion and wear a morning suit, but I have not worn one before and don't want to look too awkward.

Would I be better investing in a lounge suit instead?

Has anybody on the forum been to a garden party before at Buckingham Palace and could perhaps give me some advice?

Many thanks

G

Osipi 04-17-2018 11:23 AM

Wow. That's fantastic that you're invited to a royal garden party. There are a couple of threads that just may help you out with the information that you're looking for. They are:

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ons-31401.html

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ette-2178.html

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ear-22509.html

I hope you have a fantastic time!!

BTW: Welcome to TRF. This place is full of information about all things royal from A to Z. Enjoy!

Floreman 04-17-2018 11:34 AM

Osipi

Thank you not only for your warm welcome but also for pointing me in the direction of the relevant threads. I am sure that they will be extremely informative.

I think that having some knowledge of what to expect and wear on the day will help me to enjoy the experience more.

Thank you again

Best wishes

cepe 04-17-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floreman (Post 2094431)
Hello

This is my first post on the forum. Thank you for letting me join.

I am lucky enough to be attending the garden party at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday May 15th. Naturally, I feel honoured and very excited about it.

However, I really don't know what to expect and most importantly, I don't know what to wear. I have been given the option of morning suit or lounge suit.

As this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, one part of me really wants to dress up for the occasion and wear a morning suit, but I have not worn one before and don't want to look too awkward.

Would I be better investing in a lounge suit instead?

Has anybody on the forum been to a garden party before at Buckingham Palace and could perhaps give me some advice?

Many thanks

G

I've been to a garden party at BP. The vast majority of men wore Lounge Suits, plain shirts but pushed the boat out with wonderful ties.

You spend nearly all of the time there on your feet so comfortable shoes really help.

Enjoy it because it's a wonderful day and you get to walk all around the gardens.

Top Tip: use the rear entrance to the Palace - the queues at the front can be horrendous.

Floreman 04-17-2018 01:11 PM

Cepe

Thank you for that excellent information and tip.

Your comments have both swayed and reassured me that wearing a lounge suit is the best option.

The tip about which entrance to use was especially helpful. I saw a photo of one recent event and it looked like the queue for Wimbledon.

Thanks again. I am so looking forward to it.

Best wishes

wyevale 04-17-2018 01:20 PM

I accompanied my Mother to a Buck House Garden party, on one of the hottest days in living memory. I wore a Morning Coat, and felt it my 'duty' to do so. Big occasions demand the 'correct attire' imo, and all the Ladies did so and wore Hats throughout, despite the sweltering heat. Those Men who 'couldn't be bothered' and wore 'what they wear to the office', were every bit as hot as I was, but looked thoroughly UNDISTINGUISHED. Soldiers were in dress uniform, and 'gentlemen' were in Morning Coats.

My advice is 'dress up' and give it your best. It is a 'once in a lifetime thing'...

You won't regret it !

SLV 04-18-2018 01:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Floreman (Post 2094431)
Hello

This is my first post on the forum. Thank you for letting me join.

I am lucky enough to be attending the garden party at Buckingham Palace on Tuesday May 15th. Naturally, I feel honoured and very excited about it.

However, I really don't know what to expect and most importantly, I don't know what to wear. I have been given the option of morning suit or lounge suit.

As this is a once in a lifetime opportunity, one part of me really wants to dress up for the occasion and wear a morning suit, but I have not worn one before and don't want to look too awkward.

Would I be better investing in a lounge suit instead?

Has anybody on the forum been to a garden party before at Buckingham Palace and could perhaps give me some advice?

Many thanks

G

No advise, but congratulations.
I am certain it will be an amazing experience.

Floreman 04-18-2018 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2094468)
I accompanied my Mother to a Buck House Garden party, on one of the hottest days in living memory. I wore a Morning Coat, and felt it my 'duty' to do so. Big occasions demand the 'correct attire' imo, and all the Ladies did so and wore Hats throughout, despite the sweltering heat. Those Men who 'couldn't be bothered' and wore 'what they wear to the office', were every bit as hot as I was, but looked thoroughly UNDISTINGUISHED. Soldiers were in dress uniform, and 'gentlemen' were in Morning Coats.

My advice is 'dress up' and give it your best. It is a 'once in a lifetime thing'...

You won't regret it !

Thank you for your passionate comment and argument FOR wearing a morning suit.

I agree that the occasion calls for something special and I can reassure you that I certainly wouldn't be wearing an office suit.

I have studiously examined as many pics as I can find online to see what people are wearing (there are some shockers!!!!) and the gentleman in morning suits definitely look more distinguished but I could only see a small number of men actually wearing them.

I attend the garden party 4 weeks yesterday on May 15th, and I am still undecided. My friend who is accompanying me, and who is a judge, has opted for lounge suit.

You have given me lots of think about. Thank you.

Kind regards

Floreman 04-18-2018 05:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLV (Post 2094649)
No advise, but congratulations.
I am certain it will be an amazing experience.

Thank you so much. I do feel very honoured....its my 'once in a lifetime' experience and I intend to enjoy and soak up as much of the experience as possible.

Best wishes

Missjersey 04-18-2018 10:39 AM

Hi Floreman, welcome. Thrilled to hear of your invite and looking forward to you expressing your joyful day back to us. My two cents would be rise to the occasion and don a morning suit. It’s not a day you’ll get to “do over”. Years from now, you don’t want to be on the settee regretting anything.

Floreman 04-19-2018 04:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Missjersey (Post 2094793)
Hi Floreman, welcome. Thrilled to hear of your invite and looking forward to you expressing your joyful day back to us. My two cents would be rise to the occasion and don a morning suit. Itís not a day youíll get to ďdo overĒ. Years from now, you donít want to be on the settee regretting anything.

Thank you for your kind comment. I will definitely report back after to let you know what it was like.

I really do want to rise to the occasion but my companion is insisting on wearing a lounge suit.

We might look an odd pair if one of us in full morning suit and the other isn't.

Time is ticking and I still haven't made a decision :(

carlota 04-24-2018 06:01 PM

i think a lounge suit will do the trick and look classy without making you feel uncomfortable, plus you will get to use it again, whereas the morning suit is trickier. i also think it would be better to spend more money having a lounge suit properly tailored and use it over and over again than an average morning suit, as those options should be about the same price.

in any case, congrats! what a fantastic experience. please tell us how it went in due course, and maybe show us some pictures!


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:21 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2018
Jelsoft Enterprises