The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Ceremony and Protocol (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f162/)
-   -   US Presidents breaking protocal (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f162/us-presidents-breaking-protocal-4234.html)

mktv2000 12-03-2004 12:42 PM

US Presidents breaking protocal
 
I was wondering if anyone had pictures of US Presidents breaking protocal with the european royals. I know a few years ago Bush 43 kissed Queen Sofia on the cheek which is a no-no. Plus I had heard that on the State Visit he paid to the UK recently he touched QEII on the back for a picture. I can't seem to find pictures of either.

suturegeisha 12-03-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by megknight
I was wondering if anyone had pictures of US Presidents breaking protocal with the european royals. I know a few years ago Bush 43 kissed Queen Sofia on the cheek which is a no-no. Plus I had heard that on the State Visit he paid to the UK recently he touched QEII on the back for a picture. I can't seem to find pictures of either.

Forgive my squirrely ignorance, and please don't anyone get upset with my xenophobism, but....

I don't believe that Americans are supposed to follow strict rules of European royal protocol. I've read that of course, we are expected to be polite, but that's it. With our President, it's different- if you meet him, or the First lady, or whatever, you're not expected- and never will be expected- to bow, or curtsy. A polite handshake is perfectly fine. As far as I know, the same policy applies to foreign heads of state.
Correct away if I'm wrong.
Lollies!
-Kara-

Reina 12-03-2004 04:04 PM

I agree. Although Americans don't bow/curtsey we would not take pout our hand b/f they do. It is good to show some respect.

suturegeisha 12-03-2004 11:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
I agree. Although Americans don't bow/curtsey we would not take pout our hand b/f they do. It is good to show some respect.

Well....that was kinda common sense, huh? That's why I didn't mention it.
^_^
Lollies!
-Kara-

Reina 12-04-2004 12:06 AM

But you know it is kind of something...Why are Americans the only ones that don't have to curtsy. I am not complaining cuz I would not bow/curtsy to anyone, but I the Fouding Fathers totally severed ties with the Royal Crown and that resonates today. Plus the fact that we are the superpower of the world. I am not gloating here, but this is intriguing.

star84 12-04-2004 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
But you know it is kind of something...Why are Americans the only ones that don't have to curtsy. I am not complaining cuz I would not bow/curtsy to anyone, but I the Fouding Fathers totally severed ties with the Royal Crown and that resonates today. Plus the fact that we are the superpower of the world. I am not gloating here, but this is intriguing.

curtseying is optional in most countries... not just for americans.

sara1981 12-04-2004 12:30 AM

im sure can allowed to more respect by the Royal Family when i met Prince Charles at Prince's trust i do respect and shake him but i never bow or curtsy at Prince Charles because im American but i would wanted to respect by the Queen MUST! but i never met Queen before!

Sara Boyce

Australian 12-04-2004 12:56 AM

Well just because America is the super power of the world doesnt mean that they dont have to bow or anything, respect is respect no matter where your from or circumstances. European royals should respect the american president and follow their specific way of showing respect, and when american president is in europe they should respect them in the european way.

Reina 12-04-2004 01:41 AM

Gosh I was not trying to assert taht b/c America's "superpowerness". It is just that historically we have distanced ourselves from the concept of treating royals like Europeans do. Sorry. I was not very clear.

emsaeva 12-04-2004 02:06 AM

LOL@ the "simple texan" comment. The only reason the Bushes claimed residence in the state in the 80's was because of the electoral votes. For a very long time, the only address pappy had was a P.O. box. Then George Jr. had a few failed businesses and decided to steal the governors office. He was born in Conneticuit and raised in Maine. If he is a "Simple Texan" than I am a Russian Empress. He is a rude, uncouth, drydrunk with no sense of right and wrong and who doesn't care about protocol, history or manners. If it wasn't for Pappy, Diebold and the Al-Sauds, he would be night manager at an Arby's. My sources in Texas society say that he is a huge @$$ and addict, along with that blank-faced wife of his.

All of us in America owe the rest of the world a big apology. It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.



Quote:

Originally Posted by susanstotz
well he is just being himself, a simple texan, which the royals probably do not mind

(saw a documentary on the bbc once, lech walesa was staying with his wife I think at Balmoral and before dinner waiting for him, Elizabeth was talking to her family about how to keep him and his wife feeling comfortable and at ease.


Reina 12-04-2004 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by emsaeva
LOL@ the "simple texan" comment. The only reason the Bushes claimed residence in the state in the 80's was because of the electoral votes. For a very long time, the only address pappy had was a P.O. box. Then George Jr. had a few failed businesses and decided to steal the governors office. He was born in Conneticuit and raised in Maine. If he is a "Simple Texan" than I am a Russian Empress. He is a rude, uncouth, drydrunk with no sense of right and wrong and who doesn't care about protocol, history or manners. If it wasn't for Pappy, Diebold and the Al-Sauds, he would be night manager at an Arby's. My sources in Texas society say that he is a huge @$$ and addict, along with that blank-faced wife of his.

All of us in America owe the rest of the world a big apology. It is going to get a whole lot worse before it gets better.

No dear. You owe me and the rest ppl the U.S. (esp. the ones who righetously voted Bush in) an apology. How dare you assert that we apologize to the world? We are citizens of a sovereign nation and we know what is best for our country. The world does not know what is best esp for the fact that they cannot take care of their own countries in the light of terrorist activities. You are a compromiser. You and those traitors like you can move to Canada already or better yet be like dumb Johnny Depp and move to France and get a fake French accent. All in all you are not a good representation of the U.S. and its values.

Alexandria 12-04-2004 02:20 PM

A reminder to please be civil and polite in your comments to each other, otherwise this thread will be closed.

While it is not necessary to agree with every member one hundred per cent, it is absolutely necessary to be civil and respectful of each other's opinons and comments.

Alexandria
Royal Forums Administrator

mybags 12-04-2004 02:39 PM

Americans aren't expected to observe protocal rules. The Bush and and Borbon families are good friends so it was only natural that George and Laura both gave their friends a kiss on the cheek. Also, the Bush and Windsor families are good friends.

kittencrews 12-04-2004 02:51 PM

@ emsaeva I don't think we American's owe the world an apology I do think that you should rethink what you wrote about Bush and his "blank faced" wife though. They are a very nice family both the young Bush's and elder Bush's. My family has many connections with the Bush's and I find it offensive that you would call someone such things, you say we owe the world an apology and I believe you owe the Bush's an apology. Love from Texas, Lauren!!!!

selrahc4 12-04-2004 03:06 PM

2 Attachment(s)
Not a U.S. President but interesting pictures anyway.
October 2002 Quebec, Canadian cyclist champion Louis Garneau has his picture taken with the Queen.

H.M. Margrethe 12-04-2004 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kittencrews
@ emsaeva I don't think we American's owe the world an apology I do think that you should rethink what you wrote about Bush and his "blank faced" wife though. They are a very nice family both the young Bush's and elder Bush's. My family has many connections with the Bush's and I find it offensive that you would call someone such things, you say we owe the world an apology and I believe you owe the Bush's an apology. Love from Texas, Lauren!!!!

I woud like to know what it means when a lady is "blank faced" ?
I donīt understand the meaning of the words :confused:

selrahc4 12-04-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by H.M. Margrethe
I woud like to know what it means when a lady is "blank faced" ?
I donīt understand the meaning of the words :confused:

Expressionless.

Vicomtesse 12-04-2004 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mybags
Americans aren't expected to observe protocal rules. The Bush and and Borbon families are good friends so it was only natural that George and Laura both gave their friends a kiss on the cheek. Also, the Bush and Windsor families are good friends.

How do you know the Borbons are good friends with the Bush family? Bush Sr. and Bush Jr. and their respective wives?
And I would NOT say the Windsors are good friends with the Bushes. Before George W. Bush came to pay a visit to the Queen, Prince Charles made some rather public remarks about how he disagreed with the president's policies.
By nature of their roles the various Kings and Queens are friendly to ALL American presidents and their wives. If they have friendlier relationships with some more than others they certainly don't make that wide spread public knowledge because it would jeopardize their impartiality and neutrality. There would clearly be an issue if Juan Carlos and Sofia declared that George W. Bush and Laura Bush were their best friends in light of the president's interntional and Iraqi policies which resulted in Spanish troops being killed. Even though friendship with the Bushes would be personal and president Bush's policies being political, both spheres do overlap.

Vicomtesse 12-04-2004 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by selrahc4
Not a U.S. President but interesting pictures anyway.
October 2002 Quebec, Canadian cyclist champion Louis Garneau has his picture taken with the Queen.

This picture isn't really a good example because Garneau got a lot of public flack for being so casual with the Queen. Even her protocol lady was shocked by Garneau's audacity. But it was the QUEEN who did not do anything about it. Ever the professional she let him take the picture and then carried on with her walkabout.

Reina 12-04-2004 04:32 PM

I liked the way she handled that. She could done something though-like on the Simpsons episode where Homer runs itno her carriage and the Queen has him jailed-LOL. Did any of you all see that?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises