The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   General Royal Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   Interesting quote (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f12/interesting-quote-41865.html)

Jamesy 02-15-2017 06:59 PM

Interesting quote

"Diana's butler, Paul Burrell, was so stunned when he first laid eyes on the dead Princess, he refused to believe she was dead. ``He had to touch her skin to believe it,'' Anderson says. The faithful servant placed a simple rosary given to the Princess by Mother Teresa in her hands and a photograph of her sons and a picture of her late father in her coffin."

Why do you think Burrell refused to believe she was dead?

Osipi 02-15-2017 07:19 PM

Perhaps this question would be better in one of the many Diana threads and I'm sure the moderators will move it if deemed a good idea to.

As far as Burrell's reaction, I think it is perfectly normal. When someone leaves life so suddenly, its not an easy thing for a person to process. My mother said she kept expecting my dad to walk through the door still and his death was one that was expected even. Looking at Diana's body, it probably did look like she was just sleeping as I don't believe (correct me if I'm wrong?) that she had any serious bang ups and lacerations so that could have given the impression of sleeping.

Burrell knew Diana was dead but he just hadn't fully processed it, I think.

Jamesy 02-15-2017 07:30 PM

According to an undertaker Diana had a bit of a bump on her head

Daenerys Targaryen 02-15-2017 09:12 PM

Given the fact that she had her chest cracked, been intubated, flogged for hours, etc it's not like she had been made up and 'laid out' by an undertaker to look 'life like'. I am sure it was just shock and disbelief that made him emotionally deny that she was in fact dead.

Jamesy 02-15-2017 10:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daenerys Targaryen (Post 1961594)
Given the fact that she had her chest cracked, been intubated, flogged for hours, etc it's not like she had been made up and 'laid out' by an undertaker to look 'life like'. I am sure it was just shock and disbelief that made him emotionally deny that she was in fact dead.

Her body was already going downhill because of the Paris heat. So they wanted too do everything in there power to make her look like the beautiful woman she was before Charles etc came to view her.

I am sure they probably did a VERY good job in making her look like the woman she was when alive.

AdmirerUS 02-16-2017 07:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jamesy (Post 1961582)
"Diana's butler, Paul Burrell, was so stunned when he first laid eyes on the dead Princess, he refused to believe she was dead. ``He had to touch her skin to believe it,'' Anderson says. The faithful servant placed a simple rosary given to the Princess by Mother Teresa in her hands and a photograph of her sons and a picture of her late father in her coffin."

Why do you think Burrell refused to believe she was dead?

Well, it's Anderson's interpretation that he refused to believe, right? So, a great example of hyperbole an Anderson's part?
Or if Burrell told Anderson he could not believe it - he was just like a lot of other people who need time to process the loss of someone we know or think we know. Denial is a stage of grief, after all.