The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   British Royals (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/)
-   -   State Visit from the President of Colombia: November 1-3, 2016 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f23/state-visit-from-the-president-of-colombia-november-1-3-2016-a-40642.html)

Duke of Marmalade 04-27-2016 03:36 PM

State Visit from the President of Colombia: November 1-3, 2016

https://www.facebook.com/40259946987...type=3&theater

ROYAL NORWAY 04-27-2016 03:43 PM

https://www.royal.uk/state-visit-pre...ublic-colombia
Quote:

The President of the Republic of Colombia, His Excellency President Juan Manuel Santos Calderón, accompanied by Mrs María Clemencia Rodríguez de Santos, has accepted an invitation from The Queen to pay a State Visit to the United Kingdom from 1st to 3rd November 2016.

The President and Mrs Santos will stay at Buckingham Palace.

Dman 04-27-2016 03:45 PM

Looking forward to this visit.

Lumutqueen 04-27-2016 05:29 PM

That's an odd one.

Countessmeout 04-27-2016 05:45 PM

What is odd about it :ermm: Charles and Camilla were there in 2014 for a state visit, the two countries talking about the war on drugs.

Charles and Camilla begin tour of Colombia | Daily Mail Online

ROYAL NORWAY 04-27-2016 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1884081)
That's an odd one.

What is odd?

Curryong 04-27-2016 11:47 PM

I think it's a bit odd that the couple are staying in Buckingham Palace rather than Windsor. Let's hope the roof doesn't begin to leak or a clump of masonry decide to fall at any time.

Countessmeout 04-28-2016 12:01 AM

I am pretty sure Buckingham palace is well maintained.:ermm:

They will I assume stay in the same suite the Obamas stayed in on a previous visit.

Inside the royal suite where the Obamas will stay during their visit to Buckingham Palace | Daily Mail Online

Lumutqueen 04-28-2016 04:20 AM

Just of all the places to send a state visit invite too Columbia wouldn't be at the forefront of my mind.

Iluvbertie 04-28-2016 05:54 AM

In 2014 Charles and Camilla visited Colombia along with Mexico. Since then Mexico has enjoyed a State Visit to the UK so I suppose it does make sense for Colombia to be given the same privilege.

It is also the first State Visit by Colombia to the UK during the Queen's reign (Mexico has had four).

It is also one of the few countries that the Queen hasn't visited on a State Visit.

Skippyboo 04-28-2016 07:52 AM

State Visit from Colombia to the United Kingdom: November 1-3, 2016

China, Ireland, Mexico, Singapore all had Royal visits to and then got inbound UK visits. The cartels losing control of Colombia is a relatively recent thing so it's isn't shocking that they haven't visited before or had the Queen go there and a great reason to have them come now.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

muriel 04-28-2016 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 1884142)
I think it's a bit odd that the couple are staying in Buckingham Palace rather than Windsor. Let's hope the roof doesn't begin to leak or a clump of masonry decide to fall at any time.

Autumn state visits are usually at BP, whilst spring ones could be at either. No set rules, but that is how they have tended to be.

Dman 04-28-2016 11:05 AM

Should be nice to see Charles and Camilla and the Cambridge's participate in this State Visit.

muriel 04-28-2016 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1884264)
Should be nice to see Charles and Camilla and the Cambridge's participate in this State Visit.

Methinks it will be either C&C or the Cambridge's, not both. Seems like a waste of time for both to be there in a supporting role.

carlota 04-28-2016 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1884275)
Methinks it will be either C&C or the Cambridge's, not both. Seems like a waste of time for both to be there in a supporting role.

i tend to agree, i would expect to see charles and camilla this time, particularly at the state banquet, but maybe the cambridges will accompany the guests during a day visit of some sort. the cambridges made an appearance during the chinese state visit, but one has to admit that UK interest in china is a lot larger than in colombia. (although i hope i am wrong so that we can see kate in gala attire again!)

Skippyboo 04-28-2016 12:41 PM

State Visits have multiple royals involved. China had the Cambridges, Wessexes, DoY, Princess Royal, Gloucesters, DoK and Princess Alexandra if I recall correctly.

muriel 04-28-2016 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 1884277)
i tend to agree, i would expect to see charles and camilla this time, particularly at the state banquet, but maybe the cambridges will accompany the guests during a day visit of some sort. the cambridges made an appearance during the chinese state visit, but one has to admit that UK interest in china is a lot larger than in colombia. (although i hope i am wrong so that we can see kate in gala attire again!)

Are you suggesting that where the UK has greater interests, the Cambridge's should be involved, and otherwise, the next King and Queen?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1884279)
State Visits have multiple royals involved. China had the Cambridges, Wessexes, DoY, Princess Royal, Gloucesters, DoK and Princess Alexandra if I recall correctly.

Indeed. However, the " lead supporting" role is played by one couple only.

Dman 04-28-2016 01:22 PM

Folks, there is room for both couples to attend the State Banquet. Now, it may be Charles and Camilla at the welcoming ceremony, but both couples can attend the banquet. Don't forget that the Cambridge's now attend State events. Also, multiple royal couples attend these banquets. It's not an either/or situation.

carlota 04-28-2016 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1884286)
Are you suggesting that where the UK has greater interests, the Cambridge's should be involved, and otherwise, the next King and Queen?

not at all. the chinese visit had both C+C and W+K involved. that's all i meant.

Dman 04-28-2016 01:50 PM

Many years ago, several royals used to be involved in the welcoming ceremony. One just to look back at the older State Visits of the 80's, 70's, 60's and on back. It's William and Catherine's place to attend. Charles just skipped the diplomatic Chinese State Banquet because he chose to.