The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Thurn und Taxis Jewellery (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/thurn-und-taxis-jewellery-3938.html)

micas 10-29-2004 05:22 PM

Thurn und Taxis Jewellery

Some1 have pics from this famely jewels? They semes have a very nice colection of jewels and some of them are very old and belong to a lot of famely. Itr semes they sell all the jewels recently
Some1 can post pics and tell a litle more about there jewels?

reynard 11-13-2004 12:37 AM

4 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by micas
Some1 have pics from this famely jewels? They semes have a very nice colection of jewels and some of them are very old and belong to a lot of famely. Itr semes they sell all the jewels recently
Some1 can post pics and tell a litle more about there jewels?

Here's some pictures of Thurn und Taxis tiaras past and present

hillary_nugent 11-13-2004 02:11 AM

Who are the Thurn und Taxis? are they are royal house? what country are they from?

hrhcp 11-13-2004 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hillary_nugent
Who are the Thurn und Taxis? are they are royal house? what country are they from?

They are (were?) one of the richest royal families in Europe. About 300 to 400 years ago, they got the concession from (?) to carry the mail between various cities in Europe, for I believe an unlimited length of time. It did end, and I gather they did get a payout, but have never been able to ascertain the extent of the payout. It must have been handsome.

I wonder how much of their concession grew from spying and/or serving other masters, while doing that ?

Thurn & Taxis is based out of Regensburg in Bavaria, Germany. Compared to the other royal families (prior to WW1), I don't think they controlled a large area of Bavaria. If that is the case, then they were one of the first royals to "dirty" their hands at a commercial trade, albeit a fantastic royal monopoly concession.

Reina 11-13-2004 03:49 PM

Did they actually sell their jewelry. I would go mad!

Mandy 11-13-2004 06:24 PM

Gloria von Thurn und Taxis tiaras

2 Attachment(s)
Pictures from www.fotomarktplatz.de

Mandy 11-13-2004 06:50 PM

Gloria von Thurn und Taxis jewelry

10 Attachment(s)
Necklaces, earrings and brooches.

All pictures from www.fotomarktplatz.de

StefanievonRantzau 11-13-2004 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hrhcp
They are (were?) one of the richest royal families in Europe. About 300 to 400 years ago, they got the concession from (?) to carry the mail between various cities in Europe, for I believe an unlimited length of time. It did end, and I gather they did get a payout, but have never been able to ascertain the extent of the payout. It must have been handsome.

Ruggiano de Tassis (Franz von Taxis) founded the postal service in Italy. In Innsbruck, in 1489, Jeannetto de Tassis (Taxis) was appointed Chief Master of Postal Services, and the family held its exclusive position for centuries. In 1516, the Thurn und Taxis family had a postal service based in Brussels reaching to Rome, Naples, Spain, Germany and France by courier. The Thurn und Taxis company lasted until the 18th century, when the postal service was finally bought by the heir to the Spanish throne.
The house of Thurn und Taxis is currently headed by HSH Albert Maria Lamoral Miguel Johannes Gabriel 12th Fürst von Thurn und Taxis, son of Gloria Princess von Thurn und Taxis. Since 1748 the family resides in St. Emmeran Castle in Regensburg. The family's brewery was sold to the Paulaner Group (Munich) in 1996, but still produces beer under the brand of Thurn und Taxis.

More information is available on the family's website:
http://www.thurnundtaxis.de/frs_home.html

reynard 11-14-2004 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reina
Did they actually sell their jewelry. I would go mad!

THe last Prince married a much younger lady, countess Gloria. In the 80's she was known as the "Punk Princess". She would wear fabulous tiaras and jewels with punk, spiked, painted hair. She settled down a lot, especially after her husbands death. Their young son inherited a huge fortune, but his father must have had a lot of debts (I guess the wealth was all tied up in industry, etc.) So Gloria rolled up her sleeves and sold off some of the family heirlooms. Personally, I would have sold one of their MANY castles (prince Phillip is said to have jokingly complained about how FEW homes the queen had compared to the Thurn und Taxis family).

hrhcp 12-11-2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reynard
THe last Prince married a much younger lady, countess Gloria.

I gather house rules stipulated that he had to marry an aristo, and she was young enough to be his daughter or granddaughter when they married. The old prince (Johannes?) had a reputation of swinging DC, so he had a bit of hard time to find some-one who would say yes. She came from an impoverished aristo family, so .....

Quote:

In the 80's she was known as the "Punk Princess". She would wear fabulous tiaras and jewels with punk, spiked, painted hair.
Anything to dispell a myth or two.

Quote:

She settled down a lot, especially after her husbands death.
The taint was gone. Sorry that I am so snippy, but I prefer the "real story".

Quote:

Their young son inherited a huge fortune
that he did. Hope he hasn't inherited the vices genes from the men's side of his family.

Quote:

, but his father must have had a lot of debts (I guess the wealth was all tied up in industry, etc.) So Gloria rolled up her sleeves and sold off some of the family heirlooms.
actually it had to be sold off to pay off the death tax, which is still present in Germany.

StefanievonRantzau 12-12-2004 12:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reynard
Their young son inherited a huge fortune, but his father must have had a lot of debts (I guess the wealth was all tied up in industry, etc.) So Gloria rolled up her sleeves and sold off some of the family heirlooms. Personally, I would have sold one of their MANY castles (prince Phillip is said to have jokingly complained about how FEW homes the queen had compared to the Thurn und Taxis family).

From worldroots.com:
"After Prince Johannes' death, the Thurn und Taxis empire almost collapsed under the weight of death duties and adventurous financial speculation. The princely couple's extravagance also contributed to their mounting debts. Princess Gloria was forced to open the doors of her husband's castles and hold auctions. She also sold off most of the enterprises that were in deep financial straits, while reducing the family's expenditures. The Princess' actions to safeguard the future of her son's inheritance has raised the ire of many members of the family, yet she did not have other options. Johannes' death did not allow him time to prepare his affairs and thus reduce the amount of tax levied on the Thurn und Taxis empire by the German government. Princess Gloria's activities in favor of her son's future seem thus far to have saved a large portion of the family's patrimony. Long-gone are the endless parties, the constant thundering of nightclubs and the nasty encounters with paparazzi. These days, Princess Gloria spends most of her time dedicated to the upbringing of her children and to the dutiful restructuring of the Thurn und Taxis legacy."

I'm surprised that Prince Johannes hadn't planned ahead. Didn't he have a heart transplant?

hillary_nugent 04-29-2005 11:02 AM

wait why did they sell their jewels in the first place, when they're one of the richest royal families?

Warren 05-01-2005 01:10 AM

Thurn und Taxis

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

wait why did the Thurn und Taxis sell their jewels in the first place, when they're one of the richest royal families?
Like many old Princely and aristocratic families, they were rich in assets.
The T 'n T family had extensive land holdings in the Habsburg Empire, especially Bohemia. They had the foresight to transfer the moveable assets (eg furniture, art) to the safer family seat in Regensburg, Bavaria.

Although they, like the Liechtensteins and others, lost their estates in Soviet-occupied Eastern Europe, they had valuable assets securely stored away. The T 'n T "headquarters", St Emmerams in Regensberg is a huge complex. Princess Gloria was quoted as saying that the rooms were stuffed with excess furniture.

So when Prince Johannes died, and death duties had to be paid and the family companies re-organised, these "surplus" assets, plus a number of fabulous jewels from their extensive collection, were sold to raise the cash.

Princess Gloria did not need to sell any of their TWELVE castles/schloss in Germany.

Here is the link to the Thurn und Taxis website: http://www.thurnundtaxis.de/frs_home.html
The pic below is (part of) St Emmerams in Regensberg, Bavaria.

Reina 05-01-2005 01:22 AM

Did Gloria have to sell the yacht? Does one have info on the other homes they own?

Warren 05-01-2005 05:12 AM

T 'n T Schloss

2 Attachment(s)
When Gloria took control of the family enterprises the yacht was one of the first things to go.

A post script to the previous post: St Emmerams, the family seat in Regensburg, has more rooms than Buckingham Palace.

Some years ago in the televised version of Robert Lacey's "Aristocrats" some of the Thurn und Taxis schloss were shown, but it is hard to find a definitive list of what the family owns.

I know this is actually the T 'n T jewellery thread, but a couple of "homes" will have to do.

Schloss Hohenberg - left
Schloss Taxis - right

hillary_nugent 05-01-2005 07:39 AM

Whoa, they have 12 castles?!?! O___O that's alot more than most well known royal families isn't it?!?! wow, it must cost heaps to maintain all of them!!!

EmpressRouge 05-11-2005 09:19 PM

There's a book out there that has a nice profile of the von Thurn und Taxis' jewelry:
Famous Jewelry Collectors by Stephano Papi. I think it's been translated into other languages, for sure into French.
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...books&n=507846

Warren 05-12-2005 05:58 AM

'Famous Jewellery Collectors' book

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge
There's a book out there that has a nice profile of the von Thurn und Taxis' jewelry:
Famous Jewelry Collectors by Stephano Papi. I think it's been translated into other languages, for sure into French.

This book's not bad, but it's not strictly a "Royal Jewels" book.
It is divided into three sections: Screen Actresses, Aristocracy, and Society.

The best part is 'Aristocracy':

Cornelia, Countess of Craven (includes ruby & diamond tiara from the French Crown Jewels)
Gladys, Duchess of Marlborough
King Umberto II of Italy
The Princess Royal, Countess of Harewood
The Princes von Thurn und Taxis (gasp! see it to believe it!)
The Duchess of Windsor (OK if you like heavy and clunky)

'Society' includes:

Countess Mona Bismarck (fabulous diamonds & rubies)
Lydia, Lady Deterding (very classy)
Daisy Fellowes (more heavy and clunky)
Barbara Hutton (includes Grand Duchess Vladimir's emerald and diamond necklace with the 100 carat [yes] hexagonal emerald)

Some of the jewels are very well photographed and presented.

sara1981 05-12-2005 12:40 PM

wow that nice!

but i never heard that before Thurn and Taxis because more richers than everyone royals! not fair! and plus 12 castles that totally crazy!

Sara Boyce

Warren 05-13-2005 02:23 AM

Castles to spare

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1981
wow that nice!

but i never heard that before Thurn and Taxis because more richers than everyone royals! not fair! and plus 12 castles that totally crazy!
Sara Boyce

The Thurn und Taxis aren't the only family with lots of property.

The Princely House of Hohenlohe has about a dozen castles/schloss in Germany.

His Lordship 06-04-2005 12:06 AM

From what I hear Gloria is not well liked around Europe and is well known for the frenetic and unroyal lifestyle from her younger years. The prince had to marry to produce an heir, that is why they married. He, um, had other interests which did not include women. But, to each his own and it is nothing new in royal circles to marry only to continue the royal line.

To this day, not too many are fond of her and her excessive and somewhat bizarre lifestyle choices.

Warren 06-04-2005 05:25 AM

Princess Gloria

Quote:

Originally Posted by His Lordship
To this day, not too many are fond of her and her excessive and somewhat bizarre lifestyle choices.

I think you'll find that since the death of Prince Johannes Gloria has re-invented herself as an astute businesswoman, reorganiser and preserver of the family fortune, loving mother, and devout Catholic.

It's a long time since Princess Gloria was criticised for any "lifestyle choices", and this criticism was based on her "outrageous" hairstyles and the fact she liked to ride a motorbike. Very superficial criticisms, I think.

She has preserved the long-time Thurn und Taxis family tradition of providing a daily soup kitchen at St Emmerams for the poor of Regensburg. See this week's Point de Vue for a story on her assisting the pilgrims at Lourdes.

Perhaps Prince Johannes has had the last laugh. His marriage to the young Gloria was designed to provide an heir; she has done much more than that. Maybe he saw the underlying brains and steel in her character which were not obvious to outside observers, but came to the fore following the untimely death of her husband.

When the pressure was on, with her husband's business empire falling apart, Gloria rose to the challenge, and has surprised everyone.

Idriel 06-04-2005 06:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by His Lordship
From what I hear Gloria is not well liked around Europe. The prince had to marry to produce an heir, that is why they married. He, um, had other interests which did not include women.

In addition to what Warren said, I must say that the prince did not marry Gloria only for a heir. He was notoriously homosexual, OK, but to all accounts (from those who new them), they were the perfect match. The prince was a very difficult man with a wicked and cruel sense of humour. Just one anecdote: One day he was invited to a friend's birthday party. This friend liked exotic fishes very much, it was her passion. She had an aquarium full of very expensive, rare and beautiful fishes. So the prince arrive an his present turn out to be... an exotic fish. The fish is ugly but the friend is polite and places her present in the aquarium with the others. After the dinner the lady go check how the new fish is doing . The other guests hear a huge Boom: the lady just collapsed realising that all her luxury fishes has been eaten but the ugly one. The prince had offered a Pyranha...
After his marriage with Gloria, he calm down a lot. Friends say he found his master. She brought peace to his life and they were in love in there fashion, I think.
About Gloria, she is not particularly loved or hated. She just made a fool of herself few years ago with ludicrous comments on AIDS, but apart from that, she did nothing to be disliked (apart by hairdressers at a time of her life;) )

reynard 06-04-2005 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
I think you'll find that since the death of Prince Johannes Gloria has re-invented herself as an astute businesswoman, reorganiser and preserver of the family fortune, loving mother, and devout Catholic.

It's a long time since Princess Gloria was criticised for any "lifestyle choices", and this criticism was based on her "outrageous" hairstyles and the fact she liked to ride a motorbike. Very superficial criticisms, I think.

She has preserved the long-time Thurn und Taxis family tradition of providing a daily soup kitchen at St Emmerams for the poor of Regensburg. See this week's Point de Vue for a story on her assisting the pilgrims at Lourdes.

Perhaps Prince Johannes has had the last laugh. His marriage to the young Gloria was designed to provide an heir; she has done much more than that. Maybe he saw the underlying brains and steel in her character which were not obvious to outside observers, but came to the fore following the untimely death of her husband.

When the pressure was on, with her husband's business empire falling apart, Gloria rose to the challenge, and has surprised everyone.

Well Said. I think people need to look beyond what the press says!

Elspeth 06-05-2005 02:37 AM

The pearl and diamond tiara has found its way back to France, hasn't it? I think I saw an article about an exhibition of French royal jewellery at the Louvre, and it had a prominent place in the exhibition.

msfroyste 06-05-2005 02:58 AM

yup, i believe, the louvre bought the paure from gloria during an auction she had after johannes' death.

brnbg68 06-05-2005 04:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by msfroyste
yup, i believe, the louvre bought the paure from gloria during an auction she had after johannes' death.

yes, you're quite correct. the tiara now rests in the Louvre museum in Paris.

hillary_nugent 06-05-2005 05:05 AM

wow the jewels are amazing!!! great pics! are all the jewels of French Crown's collection scattered around the world? it'd be cool to put the collection back together for display or something ^__^

EmpressRouge 06-08-2005 12:01 AM

Here's a link to a picture of the pearl tiara on display w/ other royal/imperial french jewels at the Louvre. I posted in the Favorite Tiaras thread. A friend of mine took it when was we went to Paris. I was so pissed when I realized I had missed such an interesting and important royal treasure. :mad:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...hmentid=139756

qui mal y pense 05-10-2006 05:04 PM

Does anyone know the provenance of the other tiaras pictured at the beginning of this thread?

Prince of Chota 05-16-2006 01:28 AM

I think we need to be careful to make the distinction between royal families, like those of the United Kingdom, the Netherlands, etc (as well as their non-ruling counterparts), and noble families such as the Thurn und Taxis. Because the head of the house is the Fuerst, this makes the family a Fuerstenhaus (roughly equivalent to a princely family). Yes, they were fabulously wealthy, would have qualified as part of the Uradel (old nobility), and had landholdings in several parts of Europe, but they did not rank the same as royal families. In the Holy Roman Empire (from whence the T&T gained their monopoly), they would have ranked below the electors and many dukes. Ranking below them would be more minor princes, all comital titles, and barons.

I'm afriad that I have to disagree with some of the things that hrhcp has alluded to on the previous page. Although I commend Fuerstin Gloria's support of the arts, there is clearly a reason why her over-the-top jet-set lifestyle attracted so much attention. Even by royal standards, it was a bit excessive and shameless (part of me really loves that). I also will not make any attempt to defend the behaviour of her husband, the Fuerst Johannes, but I will say that they both shared equally in the hedonistic lifestyle. I think that Grafin Gloria gained a lot in her marriage to the aging Fuerst, and I can understand why many people would have interpreted her as a gold digger.

I personally believe that there is a sort of fall-out when royal and noble families lose their legal status as such (the "Fuerst" von Thurn und Taxis only excercises the role as Head of the House, not any sort of ruling Fuerst). Long accustomed to lavish lifestyles accompanied by duties to the state, I think that many royals and nobles sunk into very unbalanced lifestyles once they were unable to perform their socio-political duties. By unbalanced, I am referring to the fact that party princes like Johannes and Gloria in the 1980s lived in such a way that it was as if they forgot the source of their fabulous wealth--the state (and ultimately its citizens). This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest psychological problems caused by the abolition of monarchy and the noble system.

PreDoc 05-16-2006 01:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prince of Chota
party princes like Johannes and Gloria in the 1980s lived in such a way that it was as if they forgot the source of their fabulous wealth--the state (and ultimately its citizens). This, in my opinion, is one of the greatest psychological problems caused by the abolition of monarchy and the noble system.

That seems to be an unusual and provocative opinion. Thank you Chota!

joon112 05-16-2006 03:09 AM

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the set of pictures posted by brnbg68, isn't the first picture actually Gloria in fancy dress?:confused:

Warren 05-16-2006 04:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joon112
Please correct me if I'm wrong, but in the set of pictures posted by brnbg68, isn't the first picture actually Gloria in fancy dress?:confused:

Yes, the first pic in post #26 is Gloria. The swathes of 'pearls' are interesting. One side is ropes of pearls, the other side is ropes of diamonds. (!!)

Prince of Chota 05-16-2006 06:11 PM

I'm going to have to contest that. That is indeed the Archduchess Margaretha. However, the reason for the confusion is that Fuerstin Gloria wore a very similar dress with many of the same jewels for her husband's birthday costume party in 1986, and was famously photographed that way. However, the dress and the hair, while of the same period style, are different. It was the second and last time that Gloria wore the Second Empire Pearl Tiara, and she also wore the Thurn und Taxis Pearl brooch as a stomacher, securing the T&T Four Riviere Diamond Necklace on the left, and pearls on the right. I think the intention was to copy the look of the Fuerstin Margarethe. I'll see if I can get some pictures of Fuerstin Gloria in her eighteenth century costume, and post them for comparison.

Prince of Chota 05-16-2006 06:38 PM

Here is a photo of Gloria in her eighteenth-century costume:
http://files.tagworld.com/93ca3850a2...4105cabeec.bmp

And here is a photo of the Thurn und Taxis Four Riviere diamond necklace, which is swagged on the left side of Fuerstin Gloria's costume in the first photo (it was auctioned after Fuerst Johannes' death)
http://files.tagworld.com/6cb2f40312...7f7870631.jpeg

And here is another picture of the costume:
http://files.tagworld.com/7d12e93892...82be57884.jpeg

Note the differences in costume, especially the sleeves, which are puffy in the photo of Archduchess Margaretha (as was the style in the late nineteenth century). Fuerstin Gloria's sleeves are not, and the design of the dress is slightly simpler, although all the jewels are worn in the same way.

And here is the brooch that both Gloria and Margaretha are wearing, to which the Four Riviere necklace and pearls are attached:
http://files.tagworld.com/2a5ca7f9f4...a51f0911b.jpeg

It was also part of the auctioned jewels, as well as another, very similar, diamond brooch.

joon112 05-17-2006 02:44 AM

Yes, I can certainly now see the difference when photos are compared. I think that Gloria bears an uncanny likeness to Margaretha in that first photograph though. What about those jewels? I'll have the tiara thanks!!!:)

Warren 05-23-2006 11:01 AM

Here's two links to some pics of a very bejewelled Princess Gloria:

Diamonds and emeralds

As Marie Antoinette (diamonds one side, pearls the other)

MARG 05-26-2006 05:44 AM

Quote:

Diamonds and emeralds

Is this jewelery still in the family or was it sold off? :confused:

HRH Mims 05-26-2006 01:47 PM

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6&d=1122252420- wonderful, wonderful piece of jewelry!

galuhcandrakirana 05-30-2006 05:20 AM

I didn't know this family has lots of beautiful finest jewelleries and also castles....Some of their jewelleries far more grand than those belong to Scandinavian RF. Love the diamonds-emeralds Tiara and parurre wore by Princess Gloria http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...6&d=1122252420. I have no idea if this kind of jewellery (long necklace?)can matches with modern gala gown http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...7&d=1122252420.

Marengo 05-30-2006 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG

She sold quite a lot actually, at least the tiara in the second picture, of Empress Eugenie. It is displayed at the Louvre these days.

Hans 06-01-2006 02:47 PM

How many tiaras are still in posession of the House of Turn und Taxis?

galuhcandrakirana 06-15-2006 02:30 PM

Some picture of the family's jewelry
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...adem-klein.htm
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...gd-brosche.htm
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...uby-choker.htm
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...s-necklace.htm
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...e-wladimir.htm
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...by-choker2.htm
http://www.royal-magazin.de/german/t...axis/index.htm

auntie 06-18-2006 05:16 PM

WOW! This lady has character or what?!

Warren 06-19-2006 04:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans
How many tiaras are still in posession of the House of Turn und Taxis?

You may as well ask "How many tiaras does Queen Elizabeth have?" Nobody ouside a very small circle would know. :)

adelaide 06-21-2006 05:07 AM

What a very original Lady is Gloria ! She looks so no conformist!

ingenue 01-26-2007 04:14 PM

i actually love her style :)

hibou 01-26-2007 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by adelaide
What a very original Lady is Gloria ! She looks so no conformist!

In the 1980's she was known as Princes TNT for her wild antics at parties. But after her husband died she was brilliant at saving much of the family fortunes. Apparently there were alot of bad investments that the Prince made the last couple years of his life and her business savy really saved alot even thought she sold a lot of things. So she went from wild to respected in that regard. Robin leach of Life Styles of the Rich and Famous show loved to use her as one of his "lifestyles".

Prince of Chota 01-27-2007 02:03 PM

I think her style was definitely worthy of attention in her prime. Lately, though, I dunno if I'd agree. During the 90s/early 2000s she dressed more conservatively...and it worked. Every once in a while, now, she tries to get a little quirky, again...and I'm not so sure it works like it used to...hahaha

fanletizia 03-14-2007 07:17 PM

Seeger

http://www.seegerpress-online.de/top...ER00177311.jpg

Prince of Chota 05-09-2007 04:51 AM

That tiara is a bit crazy...but I like it. Is the sapphire at the top perhaps the one to which she has secured pearls as a multi-strand necklace? It looks about the same size. Also, does anyone know what event this was? It seems to have been photographed better than most, and obiously it was quite a formal occasion.

As a side note, does anyone know if the small tiara (kleines diadem) of Fuerstin Margarethe was sold?

Warren 05-10-2007 06:36 AM

Quote:

does anyone know what event this was? It seems to have been photographed better than most, and obiously it was quite a formal occasion.

Formal indeed. The caption says 1993, Gloria is pictured with one of the Württemberg Dukes, so the occasion is probably the pre-wedding party for the marriage of Hereditary Duke Friedrich and Princess Marie zu Wied.

scooter 06-13-2007 02:39 PM

Quote:

I think her style was definitely worthy of attention in her prime. Lately, though, I dunno if I'd agree. During the 90s/early 2000s she dressed more conservatively...and it worked. Every once in a while, now, she tries to get a little quirky, again...and I'm not so sure it works like it used to...hahaha

Strange as it may seem, the former Princess TNT is now an ultra ultra conservative catholic and a personal friend of the new pope. Given the long standing on dit that she enjoys more than a friendship with Princess Borgese, I'm not sure how one reconciles the different parts of her personality? In any case, she sure has great jewelry!

Stefan 06-13-2007 03:56 PM

Quote:

Formal indeed. The caption says 1993, Gloria is pictured with one of the Württemberg Dukes, so the occasion is probably the pre-wedding party for the marriage of Hereditary Duke Friedrich and Princess Marie zu Wied.

It was at the pre-wedding-gala of Hereditary Prince Alois of Lichtenstein and Duchess Sophie in Navaria at Nymphenburg. The men next to her ist Duike Philipp of Württemberg, who is married to Sophie's sister Marie Caroline.

Prince of Chota 06-16-2007 05:07 AM

As a side note, does anyone know if the small tiara (kleines diadem) of Fuerstin Margarethe was sold?

NotAPretender 06-25-2007 08:57 AM

I was surprised to see that even a conservative financially-based publication had kudos for the former "TNT."

BW Online | June 17, 2002 | Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis

JUNE 17, 2002 The Stars of Europe - FINANCE

Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis Investor, Germany

No one expected Germany's Princess Gloria von Thurn und Taxis to become a brilliant financial manager when her husband, Prince Johannes, died suddenly in 1990. The onetime waitress, who used to be known as the "punk princess" because of her wild clothes and hairstyles, was left in charge of managing a $1.4 billion inheritance for her son, Albert, who is now 18.

But Gloria rose to the challenge. She taught herself business and tax law. Then she ditched many of the late prince's financial advisers, sacked a large number of staff at her 500-room palace in Regensburg, in southern Germany, and sold heirlooms to clear $350 million in debts.

That was just the beginning. In recent years, the princess, now 42, has restructured her son's holdings, which included the family-controlled T&T Bank, a handful of Mittelstand companies, and Europe's biggest private forest. She sold off poor-performing assets, including the bank, a brewery, and investments in the financial-services industry. And she successfully floated TTL Information Technology, a family-controlled Internet-services company, on the Neuer Markt, just before the tech bubble burst.

Since then, Gloria has focused the conglomerate on real estate and forestry. She explains her investment decisions in plain terms. Asked why she chose to sell off the family silver rather than a chunk of real estate to pay her son's inheritance taxes, Gloria says: "Albert can buy a new tureen anytime he needs one, but he can hardly go out and buy a forest."

Thanks to that conservative approach, the Thurn und Taxis fortune came through the recent economic slowdown unscathed, which is more than can be said for a lot of German businesses. Analysts estimate that the family conglomerate, which lost money before Gloria took over, is now generating a return of about 10%. Not a few German bankers must be envious.
-----------------------

Her explanation for the selling of "treasure," i.e. silver and jewelry, is inspired.

a1sspiked 08-08-2007 08:56 PM

If it can be found there is a auction catalog of the silver, and jewels sold. I obtained my copy through ebay. It has many wonderful photos of the jewels, alot that have been shown here, and some not.

magnik 11-24-2007 06:11 PM

I've just found it:
Margarethe von Thurn und Taxis nee von Habsburg-Lothringen
Margarethe Thurn Taxis 2 pictures from fashion photos on webshots

noldorlord 11-26-2007 12:42 AM

P Gloria dose have that go get them attitude. And it is good that she took an active interest in the familles fortune and sacked all the slackers. Well Done..
Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 443766)

Great link thank you

Prince of Chota 04-19-2008 09:09 PM

Well, in Germany the TNT sale was sort of a joke. A lot of people called it a "glorified yard-sale" full of the cast-offs from the princely family. Most of the better jewellery was actually auctioned in Geneva, but many of the favorite pieces of the fuerstin and family were actually kept. In some cases, she sold jewels that nobody had seen before, so who knows the extant of the collection at this point?!...She still has the ruby and sapphire tiaras (which she has worn since), and at least one or two more. And 3-4 tiaras is certainly enough for one family that has few occasions to wear them.

Lord Rosebery 06-30-2009 05:10 PM

Are you sure that the TNT family ownes today 3-4 tiaras. I thought she sold the complete collection. In the german tv Gloriy said that the german nobility was shocked about the auction of the jewels.
I had seen Gloria two years ago in Berlin. It was the introducing of her tea-collection inm the berliner shop THE CORNER. Gloria is indeed a great women!

branchg 06-30-2009 10:11 PM

She may have sold all of it. Most of the jewels were extremely valuable and of little use to her when she was trying to save her son's inheritance.

Boris 07-01-2009 03:38 AM

Princess Gloria did not sell the whole collection at all.
The impression might result from her wearing not a lot of jewelry in public these days, but she was indeed photographed wearing for example the ruby tiara, the sapphire tiara as well as the emerald tiara long after the auction.

Lord Rosebery 07-04-2009 04:45 PM

A new photo as a piece of circumstantial evidence;)

First of all the link to the new photo:
http://www.seegerpress-online.de/top...ER00003800.jpg

I have tried to be Miss Marple:whistling:

We can see here, on this picture Gloria. She is wearing one of the tiaras about we have spoken.
This photo is from 1997.
I don´t know in which year the grand jewelry auction was, could somebody tell it to me.
If the auction was before 1997 we will know that it is possible that there are also today some tiaras in the thurn and taxis family.:angel:

Stefan 07-04-2009 05:09 PM

:previous:
The photo is actually from the pre Wedding Ball of Alois of Liechtenstein and Sophie in bavaria at nymphenburg in 1993. I don't know for sure but i believe the auctions where before. And for the WEdding Ball of Fleur of Württemberg in 2003 Gloria whore the emerald tiara and this occasion was after the autions.

Prince of Chota 07-07-2009 07:00 PM

The long ruby and diamond earrings of Sachsen-Coburg provenance have been sold recently I believe at Christie's. I'll have to check their sold lot archive, but I'm certain they are the same. Gloria still has a decent amount of jewellery that we've seen from time to time long after the original sales. She, like many aristocrats and royals, seems simply to have been lightening the loads of excessive family jewellery collecting.

espejor 09-16-2009 05:44 AM

Do you know if the jewels of Thur and Taxis family appear in "Famous jewelery collectors" by Stefano Papi?

Regards!

Warren 09-16-2009 06:56 AM

Yes. A simple Google search would have answered your question.

Fürstin Taxis 08-10-2010 07:19 PM

Jewellery owned by Princess Helene of Thurn und Taxis, neé Duchesse in Bavaria

This was a gift from Queen Victoria to Helene

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...ck/brosche.jpg

A gift from Prinzregent Luitpold to her wedding 1858

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...ck/schmuck.jpg

Gifts from Queen Elisabeth of Prussia to her niece

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...broschen01.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/brosche4.jpg

Barock Perlen

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...uck/perlen.jpg

Gifts from Archduchesse Sophie to her niece 1854

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...ck/trkise1.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...ck/trkise2.jpg

Helenes Hungarian brooches 1880

http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/schmuck4.jpg
http://i387.photobucket.com/albums/o...k/schmuck3.jpg

IloveCP 04-06-2012 04:11 AM

I love these tiaras!

Pic Pic2 Pic3

Beautiful! I love the leaf and floral design on the second tiara.

Patra 04-06-2012 03:10 PM

The second picture is my favorite, love the delicate and intricate design of the floral leaves.....so romantic!!

Al_bina 04-06-2012 03:43 PM

The pearl tiara is amazing. Pearls are so huge.

KittyAtlanta 04-06-2012 04:01 PM

All of them are beautiful, but IMO, one cannot beat a pearl tiara. I like the third one too, as it is unusual.

Artemisia 04-06-2012 04:06 PM

While the pearl and floral tiaras are stunning, my personal favourite is the third one; it has a really regal look to tit.

USCtrojan 04-16-2013 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 441835)

Diamonds and emeralds

Where is this emerald set now? Does anyone know?

USCtrojan 04-20-2013 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveCP (Post 1396995)
I love these tiaras!

Pic Pic2 Pic3

Beautiful! I love the leaf and floral design on the second tiara.

Any info on the gorgeous third tiara? They are all three equally exquisite, but as much as I want to say Empress Eugene's is the prettiest one -I have to say that the third tiara is just stunning, too!

Can anyone share any info on origin or anything of that nature?

Stefan 04-20-2013 04:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCtrojan (Post 1540460)
Where is this emerald set now? Does anyone know?

it is still in the family. Fürstin Gloria wore it in 2003 at the Wedding Gala of Duchess Fleur of Württemberg.

USCtrojan 06-29-2013 01:26 AM

Are there any pictures of Gloria's daughters wearing any of the family jewels? Elizabeth in a tiara would be interesting and lovely to see.

Stefan 06-29-2013 04:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by USCtrojan (Post 1569384)
Are there any pictures of Gloria's daughters wearing any of the family jewels? Elizabeth in a tiara would be interesting and lovely to see.

No. I think they first time they will wear a tiara is for their Wedding. Also the Duchesses in Bavaria have worn a tiara the first time on their Wedding Day or pre-Wedding Gala.

IloveCP 09-08-2013 02:54 AM

The Thurn and Taxis Emerald Tiara | A Tiara a Day

This tiara is breathtaking! One of my favorite emerald tiaras.

USCtrojan 09-08-2013 02:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IloveCP (Post 1597207)
The Thurn and Taxis Emerald Tiara | A Tiara a Day

This tiara is breathtaking! One of my favorite emerald tiaras.

I love this tiara! It's my favorite emerald set currently in use for sure. It's different. I am so glad she did not sell it when cleaning out the vault!

Baroness of Books 09-08-2013 03:43 PM

And those matching earrings and necklace are pretty impressive as well. I'm glad she was able to retain a keepsake or two from the good old days!

Tilia C. 04-08-2015 02:50 PM

I found this old tiara pic of Princess Margarethe of Thurn und Taxis.
Ak Prinzessin Margarete von Thurn und Taxis, Krone (b/w photo) Wall Art Prints by German Photographer

But which Margarethe is it? She does not look like Fürstin Margarethe, nee Archduchess of Austria. Is it the wife of Prince Rafael?

IloveCP 04-20-2017 09:50 AM

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Tiara Thursday: The Thurn und Taxis Emerald Drop Tiara

I love this tiara. Its very regal and stunning.