The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royalty Past, Present, and Future (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/)
-   -   Royal names, where did they come from (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f164/royal-names-where-did-they-come-from-3936.html)

hillary_nugent 06-12-2004 04:04 AM

Hillary's 2nd FORUM

Hey everybody just a few minute ago i was going through a forum suggesting names for Princess Mary's future children's name and as i have noticed before the names are rather conservative....is there an unwritten rule for conservative names such as Victoria, Elizabeth, Louise, Charles etc. etc. ??? And this doesn't have to just apply to the English royalties ^___^

also what names would royalties never name their children?? ^__^ and what are the strangest and unique names that royalties have out there???

hahahaha my friends say i will never be a Princess because Hillary just wasn&#39;t made for the title >__< hahahaha

Wouldn&#39;t it be funny if Gweneth Paltrow&#39;s daughter became Queen&#33;&#33;&#33; QUEEN APPLE&#33;&#33; hahahaha

renats 06-13-2004 01:43 AM

Nikolai and Felix are not royal(or common) names in Denmark. And as I confirmed a short while ago, Pauline Grace Maguy is not common for France/Monaco.

As for little Apple, in theory it is not that bad, but I can already imagine the kid going to elementary school and being nicknamed "pineapple" or "apple pie". I hope that she&#39;ll be a strong girl(emotionaly) because that future is almost certain.

wymanda 06-13-2004 08:52 PM

In the 1940&#39;s & 50&#39;s Anne & Charles were not considered traditional royal names as they had been out of use since the Hanoverians came to the throne.

When Queen Victoria was named Alexandrina Victoria the names were very uncommon in Britain

In the present generations uncommon names have been

Zara - Daughter of the Princess Royal
Davina - Daughter of the Duke of Gloucester
Helen - Daughter of the Duke of Kent
Beatrice - Daughter of the Duke of York
Eugenie - Daughter of the Duke of York
Columbus - Grandson of the Duke of Kent
Cassius - Grandson of the Duke of Kent
Zenouska - Granddaughter of Princess Alexandra

hillary_nugent 06-16-2004 02:14 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by wymanda@Jun 13th, 2004 - 7:52 pm
In the 1940&#39;s & 50&#39;s Anne & Charles were not considered traditional royal names as they had been out of use since the Hanoverians came to the throne.

When Queen Victoria was named Alexandrina Victoria the names were very uncommon in Britain

Anne, Charles and Helen have been around for a while....

but i like Eugenie and Zara ^__^

wymanda 06-16-2004 02:48 AM

My point was that they are, or have been in the past, uncommon in Royal circles.

Jasl 06-16-2004 07:01 AM

So there&#39;s a chance (however slim) that Fred and Mary&#39;s daughter will be named Olivia (pls pls pls) :P :P :lol:

I will not rest until that yet to be born princess is named Olivia&#33;&#33; (ok that sounds wierd&#33; :lol: )

hillary_nugent 06-16-2004 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Jasl@Jun 16th, 2004 - 6:01 am
So there&#39;s a chance (however slim) that Fred and Mary&#39;s daughter will be named Olivia (pls pls pls) :P :P :lol:

I will not rest until that yet to be born princess is named Olivia&#33;&#33; (ok that sounds wierd&#33; :lol: )

hahahaha...why Olivia?? why not Hillary??? hahaha ^___^

Charles 06-18-2004 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by wymanda@Jun 13th, 2004 - 8:52 pm

Beatrice and Eugenie are the only royals of that whole list.

MarieLouise 06-19-2004 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by renats@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am
Nikolai and Felix are not royal(or common) names in Denmark. And as I confirmed a short while ago, Pauline Grace Maguy is not common for France/Monaco.

Not to be fussy or anything, but Nikolai is actually quite common here in Denmark, it might not be royal but it&#39;s common. Actually when Alexandra and Joachim chose that name, it was already very popular. Offcourse that popularity has increased a lot (read= TONS) since...

An unusual name by the way is Prince Joachim. "Joachim" is neither royal nor that common in Denmark (it isn&#39;t totally unusual, but we do have a lot more of those Christians and Frederiks runnig around in all ages)

renats 06-19-2004 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by MarieLouise@Jun 19th, 2004 - 1:43 pm
Not to be fussy or anything, but Nikolai is actually quite common here in Denmark, it might not be royal but it&#39;s common. Actually when Alexandra and Joachim chose that name, it was already very popular. Offcourse that popularity has increased a lot (read= TONS) since...

Thanks for telling me&#33; I read that wrong information somewhere. I&#39;m glad you cleared that out&#33; :flower:

MarieLouise 06-19-2004 05:11 PM

Your welcome. ;)

Georgia 06-20-2004 01:54 PM

Re Charles. Do you mean they are Royal names or that they are in fact "royal" because if you are I&#39;m getting a bit fed up of not being able to include the granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth ( i.e. Zara Phillips) in these discussions.

Martine 06-20-2004 02:22 PM

Quote:

As for little Apple, in theory it is not that bad, but I can already imagine the kid going to elementary school and being nicknamed "pineapple" or "apple pie". I hope that she&#39;ll be a strong girl(emotionaly) because that future is almost certain.

I recently read an article written by Peaches Honeyblossom Geldof about Apple. She gave a clear insight what it is to be named after a fruit :ninja: It has been quite though for her

That&#39;s why i think conservative names are better, not to conservative or old fashioned but unusual is not always better ;)

Martine 06-20-2004 02:24 PM

Quote:

Pauline is a very common name in France and Belgium B)

renats 06-20-2004 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Martine+Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Martine @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-renats@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

Pauline is a very common name in France and Belgium B) [/b][/quote]
But not Pauline Grace Maguy

Charles 06-20-2004 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Georgia@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:54 pm
Re Charles. Do you mean they are Royal names or that they are in fact "royal" because if you are I&#39;m getting a bit fed up of not being able to include the granddaughter of Queen Elizabeth ( i.e. Zara Phillips) in these discussions.
It has nothing with being fed up. They are not royals, simply as that. They don&#39;t "need" royal names. If you must include a maternal granddaughter of The Queen as royal, why not include all descendants of kings and queens as royal? It must stop somewhere.

Of the names I quoted, I&#39;d say Helen, Eugenie and Beatrice are the closest to royal names. They have some precendent.

Martine 06-21-2004 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally posted by renats+Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:34 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (renats @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:34 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:

Originally posted by Martine@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-renats
Quote:

@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

But not Pauline Grace Maguy [/b][/quote]
no that&#39;s true B) certainly not the combination of a french name (pauline) with and english one (Grace), I thought you were only talking about Pauline :blush:

Jasl 06-21-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Martine@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:22 pm
I recently read an article written by Peaches Honeyblossom Geldof about Apple. She gave a clear insight what it is to be named after a fruit :ninja: It has been quite though for her

That&#39;s why i think conservative names are better, not to conservative or old fashioned but unusual is not always better ;)

That is so funny&#33; Though I think Apple is a bit more innocent than Peaches... I don&#39;t know, but Peaches kind of sound X rated&#33;

But I think I&#39;m safe. When I have kids, they&#39;ll be called Olivia or Mary-Olivia (hah&#33;) and Frederik.

renats 06-21-2004 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Martine+Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:22 pm--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Martine @ Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:22 pm)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-renats@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

That&#39;s why i think conservative names are better, not to conservative or old fashioned but unusual is not always better ;) [/b][/quote]
The name of the woman is Peaches? Wow, her parents were very inspired, weren&#39;t they? :lol:

I like unnusual names better but I think that there&#39;re limits. However I would probably give my kids one of those names that are well knowed but not very used. Believe me, having a common name can be as difficult as having an uncommon one. I find it so cool that foreigners find my name(Renata) exotic&#33; It&#39;s very common in Brazil and every time I saw that there was another Renata around I was sssooo disapointed, upset and sometimes a little angry :cry: .

renats 06-21-2004 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Martine+Jun 21st, 2004 - 6:02 am--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Martine @ Jun 21st, 2004 - 6:02 am)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'>
Quote:

Originally posted by renats@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:34 pm
Quote:

Originally posted by Martine@Jun 20th, 2004 - 1:24 pm
<!--QuoteBegin-renats

Quote:

Quote:

@Jun 13th, 2004 - 12:43 am

But not Pauline Grace Maguy

no that&#39;s true B) certainly not the combination of a french name (pauline) with and english one (Grace), I thought you were only talking about Pauline :blush: [/b][/quote]
That&#39;s ok&#33; :flower: ;) :flower: