The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/prince-harry-current-events-28-april-2015-june-2017-a-38336.html)

JessRulz 03-19-2015 10:22 PM

Prince Harry Current Events 28: April 2015 - June 2017
 

Welcome to Prince Harry's
Current Events, Part 28

Commencing April 1, 2015

The previous thread can be found here

Please take a look at the
TRF Community Rules & FAQs

· Only pictures that you have written permission to share can be posted here. You can post links to any pictures.
· It's a copyright violation to post translations of entire articles, so no more than 20% of an article
text should be posted, along with the link to the original article.
· We expect our members to treat each other, and the royals and persons in these threads, with respect.
· The Report Post button is for reporting inappropriate content in a post if no moderators or administrators are online.
· Threads should remain on topic. Posts which are irrelevant or disruptive
will be deleted or moved by one of the moderators.

***

JessRulz 04-02-2015 02:14 AM

Britain's Prince Harry to start Australian army stint - CNN.com
Prince Harry's Australian visit: what 'Captain Wales' will do on his military secondment

Official Press Release from the Australian Defence Force

Prince Harry will be arriving in Australia on Monday to begin his four week stint with the Australian Army.

On Monday April 6, Harry will lay a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier and tour the World War I and Afghanistan galleries at the Australian War Memorial in Canberra. The Governor-General, Sir Peter Cosgrove, will accompany him.

He will be spending time with regiments in Sydney, Darwin and Perth, according to the ADF.

Curryong 04-02-2015 03:22 AM

It's good that Prince Harry will be spreading himself around. People in Sydney, Perth, Darwin and Canberra will have a chance to see him.

Duke of Marmalade 04-02-2015 03:33 AM

Sorry but what is the point of all this? Keeping Harry occupied to prevent him from becoming Airmiles Andy 2?
To me it seems that he had to leave the army or left the army for whatever reasons at short notice and now they have no idea what to do with him.
Harry is an army man, he needs a firm structure. I am not sure having him tour the world as the 'people's prince' will end well.

Iluvbertie 04-02-2015 04:50 AM

Given that he is training with the SAS the only places Aussies will really get a chance to see him are when he goes to pubs etc. He is only doing one official engagement - laying a wreath on Monday with the GG and maybe the PM at the War Memorial but after that he is with the army, especially the SAS.

AdmirerUS 04-02-2015 07:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1764267)
Sorry but what is the point of all this? Keeping Harry occupied to prevent him from becoming Airmiles Andy 2?
To me it seems that he had to leave the army or left the army for whatever reasons at short notice and now they have no idea what to do with him.
Harry is an army man, he needs a firm structure. I am not sure having him tour the world as the 'people's prince' will end well.

Good question - and who does know for sure? Harry and part of the military.
My internal speculation was that once decided, Harry and the military decided to stave off short timer's disease. I have always thought both William and Harry enjoyed the atmosphere of Australia, and that's a compliment to Australians. Huge, diverse, scenic, open minded, active, sporty, humorous these are Australian traits that are an easy fit for Harry.
It also gets him away from the press and from any temptations he might face at the end of a service period that can get a little boring as one is fazed out. JMO.

Jacknch 04-02-2015 08:29 AM

Here is a link to a BBC News article concerning Harry's stint in Australia:

Prince Harry to start stint with Australian Army - BBC News

Skippyboo 04-02-2015 08:58 AM

I wonder if ADF requested Harry to come or the other way around. A regular officer leaving the army wouldn't be sent to train with a foreign military in his/her last weeks.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Rudolph 04-02-2015 09:02 AM

Harry isn't a regular officer though lol. I think this is just to give him something to do before he travels to New Zealand

Skippyboo 04-02-2015 09:36 AM

Wasn't there something about planning ceremonial events in the London district mentioned as his job ? There is a pretty big one in June that takes multiple dress rehearsals. Couldn't he help with that?


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Rudolph 04-02-2015 09:41 AM

Helping organise ceremonial events with the Army in London was just an excuse to give him a no show desk job imo.

There is no evidence Harry helped organise Trooping the Colour or any other event pertaining to the Army while assigned to Whitehall.

An article from last year stated Harry was 'hardly ever there' in regards to his desk job.

Iluvbertie 04-02-2015 06:26 PM

He was involved in organising the Invictus Games while he was posted to Whitehall - new event on the calendar compared to reviewing plans that really don't change from year to year like Trooping. We also don't know what he did there as there weren't press covering his movements to and from Whitehall and actually sitting at the desk looking at what he was doing.


Why he is coming to Australia and costing us $150,000 is anyone's guess but from reading what Harry himself said '... ADF have arranged for me' suggests that this is his idea and nothing to do with his actual service.


It is a waste of money and is simply a paid holiday to Australia for Harry although he will have to actually turn up to some military stuff while here.

Rudolph 04-02-2015 06:36 PM

The Invictus/Warrior Games isn't the reason he took the job at Whitehall.

Prince Harry swaps helicopter role for Army desk job - Telegraph
Quote:

Prince Harry is take up a new military role organising major commemorative events after he completed his attachment to the Army Air Corps.

The Prince, 29, will swap flying Apache helicopters for a desk-bound Staff Officer role in HQ London District, based in Horse Guards. His responsibilities will include organising Trooping the Colour, the annual celebration of the Queen's birthday, and First World War commemorative events.
Quote:

Kensington Palace said his responsibilities "will include helping to co-ordinate significant projects and commemorative events involving the Army in London".
Quote:

A feasibility study on bringing the Games to London has been commissioned by the Ministry of Defence and the Prince's charity, the Royal Foundation, with a view to hosting the event later this year. A final recommendation will be made at the end of January.

Royal sources said the Prince had not taken on the new role solely because of his enthusiasm for the Warrior Games.
Quote:

"If the Warrior Games does come to London that would be a special project that would involve the Army, so the Prince would be involved in that. But his responsibility would be in line with his rank as a captain, so he would not be in charge of the whole thing."
I have no problem giving Harry some credit for the Invictus Games but the games weren't the reason the palace said he took up the desk job.

That is revisionist history

Skippyboo 04-02-2015 06:59 PM

It seems like what KP said he was going to do what he ended up doing are different things.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Dman 04-02-2015 07:29 PM

I think Harry was involved in arranging ceremonial events last year, including Trooping of the Colour.

Rudolph 04-02-2015 07:33 PM

^^^ I think if did it would have been commented on especially given the fact he participated in Trooping the Colour.

It would have been great publicity for both the Army and Prince Harry but there was no word

Curryong 04-02-2015 07:37 PM

The Invictus Games might not have been the sole reason he took on the desk job in Whitehall, but it's clear he took a huge part in organising it, and a very good job he did too.

I believe he left the army because he didn't want to be desk-bound, filling out reports, taking further exams etc (admin work not being his thing) and so he left. How many thirty somethings leave their jobs and go and do something else if they don't think it's working out. People are constantly going off in a new direction career-wise nowadays.

Sun Lion 04-02-2015 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 1764266)
It's good that Prince Harry will be spreading himself around. People in Sydney, Perth, Darwin and Canberra will have a chance to see him.


Channel Seven in Sydney started advertising early this morning - before 6.00am Good Friday - that they will "be with Prince Harry" and will let us know "what he's doing and where he's heading" when he arrives in Oz on Easter Monday.

They are calling it a "special event", and will be broadcasting the action "as it happens" throughout the day.

Duke of Marmalade 04-03-2015 03:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 1764449)
I believe he left the army because he didn't want to be desk-bound, filling out reports, taking further exams etc (admin work not being his thing) and so he left. How many thirty somethings leave their jobs and go and do something else if they don't think it's working out. People are constantly going off in a new direction career-wise nowadays.

Unfortunately Harry is not the average Thirty someting who wants to go something else and just does it. There doesn't seem to be a strategy, neither KP nor Harry seem to know what he wants to do in the end and just go from event to event. This 'touring abroad' costs a lot of money without a real purpose. If tax payers' money is involved, there has to be a real benefit (eg Africa). Otherwise he needs to find something useful to do in the UK.

muriel 04-03-2015 04:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1764508)
Unfortunately Harry is not the average Thirty someting who wants to go something else and just does it. There doesn't seem to be a strategy, neither KP nor Harry seem to know what he wants to do in the end and just go from event to event. This 'touring abroad' costs a lot of money without a real purpose. If tax payers' money is involved, there has to be a real benefit (eg Africa). Otherwise he needs to find something useful to do in the UK.

I am reasonably sure there is a plan, it has just not been communicated just yet. IMO, the Army was important to Harry, and for him to agree to leave it, he must have something substantial lined up.

Rudolph 04-03-2015 08:24 AM

Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 4 hrs 4 hours ago
The ADF confirmed #PrinceHarry will be given down time off-base during his stint in #Australia

---------------------------------------------

'Down time' is an understatement lol

Duke of Marmalade 04-03-2015 08:42 AM

'A paid holiday' would be more accurate.

wyevale 04-03-2015 08:55 AM

Quote:

'A paid holiday'
Which is EXACTLY what all serving military personel receive...

Perhaps it is different in your country Duke of Marmelade ???

Duke of Marmalade 04-03-2015 09:00 AM

Prince Harry is far from being serving military personel.

Dman 04-03-2015 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1764448)
^^^ I think if did it would have been commented on especially given the fact he participated in Trooping the Colour.

It would have been great publicity for both the Army and Prince Harry but there was no word

I believe it was commented on, but people just didn't pay attention to it. Also, he was doing his job. It was even made sure Harry had a front seat at the Duke of Wellington's Office during the Trooping last year.

Rudolph 04-03-2015 09:52 AM

^^^ I can't find anything online that says Harry organised Trooping the Colour last year.

Do you have a link to back up your claim?

Dman 04-03-2015 10:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1764549)
^^^ I can't find anything online that says Harry organised Trooping the Colour last year.

Do you have a link to back up your claim?

Article on Harry's desk job at Whitehall-
"The fourth in line to the throne, who did two tours in Afghanistan, will have to plan ceremonial parades such as Trooping the Colour and Remembrance Sunday plus coordinating official state visits from foreign dignitaries."
Prince Harry: Desk job is more nerve-wracking than flying Army attack helicopter in Afghanistan - Mirror Online

On Harry's Ceremonial Job-
"Prince Harry's appearance at the Trooping ceremony comes months after he gave up his role as an Apache helicopter co-pilot gunner for a military desk job with responsibilities that include organising major ceremonial events involving the Army."
Trooping the Colour 2014

Rudolph 04-03-2015 10:43 AM

I already posted those articles earlier. There is nothing new in them. When Harry flew helicopters we got updates. We got updates about Harry and the Invictus Games but we didn't any information about Harry organising commemorative events with the Army in London and that includes Trooping the Colour.

Dman 04-03-2015 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1764553)
I already posted those articles earlier. There is nothing new in them. When Harry flew helicopters we got updates. We got updates about Harry and the Invictus Games but we didn't any information about Harry organising commemorative events with the Army in London and that includes Trooping the Colour.

There was a little buzz about Harry's involvement in helping to organize the events though. I just don't think it was a major focus, but his job was to help with the events. Last year, he took center stage in the window in overlooking the Trooping, in which he helped organize.

Iluvbertie 04-03-2015 05:45 PM

The thing with events like Trooping is that the 'plan' is in the system and all that the planning on a year by year basis is to check that everything is done. It isn't like it is a new event that has to be done from scratch.


What Harry's role was or might have been we will never know but he was posted to the part of Whitehall that organises events so it is reasonable to assume that he was involved in pushing some of the papers around that made that event possible.

Sun Lion 04-03-2015 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1764534)
Robert Jobson @theroyaleditor · 4 hrs 4 hours ago
The ADF confirmed #PrinceHarry will be given down time off-base during his stint in #Australia

---------------------------------------------

'Down time' is an understatement lol



Noosa was being touted on TV yesterday, as the place where some of Prince Harry's time off would be spent.

And in today's paper, descriptions of the Perth barracks food as being "amazing" with a "sensational" view - "right out over the ocean" - from the mess.

Also, the Prince will not have any "minders" with him, but will be with around thirty Australian "good mates", he has formed a "close attachment to", from his tours of duty in Afghanistan.

He has visited them before when here, and they've assisted MI6 in protecting him when he's been on Royal duties in Oz.

(We've just had the BBC Simon Reeve "Australia" three-part show on TV here in the last few weeks, and Simon went out on patrol with the soldiers of the Northern Territory.

Prince Harry will be given a sleeping bag when he's with these guys, but on this show, the soldiers just laid down on the ground for the night, so he may not use it I think.

Their tanks were demonstrated on Simon's show too - won't be suprised to see photos/video of Prince Harry in these - something else to see these things move.)

Iluvbertie 04-04-2015 01:48 AM

The question to me about this secondment is why is he being given a paid 'holiday' down under when whatever he learns won't be able to be used as he will be gone almost immediately he returns to the UK. Australia won't have a long-term connection to the British army as again he will be out of the army. He is also coming for four weeks but the best part of one of those four weeks will be spent travelling to and from Turkey for the 100th anniversary of the British Empire's invasion of the Ottoman Empire in 1915. The Aussies and NZers held one of the five landing beaches. Why not have had him stay here and attend the ceremonies here as William and Kate did last year?

Elenath 04-04-2015 01:03 PM

Not very recent but still..

Prince Harry whoops with delight as he takes a spin in a WW2 Spitfire over the white cliffs of Dover* | Daily Mail Online

Skippyboo 04-04-2015 02:23 PM

The Army isn't sending Harry to Australia more like he requested to go there. His regiment isn't going only him. It's not even similar to William going to the Falklands since SAR pilots are regularly sent to the Falklands to serve part of their time there.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Osipi 04-04-2015 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1764804)

The Army isn't sending Harry to Australia more like he requested to go there. His regiment isn't going only him. It's not even similar to William going to the Falklands since SAR pilots are regularly sent to the Falklands to serve part of their time there.

Do we actually know what Harry will be doing on base in Australia? What kind of training etc? I really can't see a military branch kow-towing to anyone regardless of status when it comes to its personnel. If the Army has decided to send Harry, its for a legitimate reason. Harry always was treated as another one of the guys during his stint in the service and I really don't think he'd press for favors because of who he is at the end of his remarkable career.

Skippyboo 04-04-2015 02:57 PM

He is training with the Australian SAS and then native forces in the Northern Territory

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...commandos.html


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Roslyn 04-04-2015 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1764807)
He is training with the Australian SAS and then native forces in the Northern Territory
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...commandos.html

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

It seems totally pointless to me; I don't see how it is benefiting either us or the UK army at all. It looks like a farewell present for Harry.

Chubb Fuddler 04-04-2015 08:04 PM

As very little information has been released about what Prince Harry will actually do over the following four weeks, I think it is far too early to call it a paid jolly holiday. There is no evidence one way or the other to support such a conclusion. It might be an extremely demanding and challenging four weeks, related to something he will do later on. Who knows? I certainly don't. I assume the details are under wraps in the hope of keeping the media at arms length. So I'm not going pass judgment on the benefits, or lack thereof, of the secondment before it starts. As for the costs, well quite simply I don't care about that part of the secondment. I'm happy for Prince Harry to be here, and I hope he has a rewarding experience.

JessRulz 04-05-2015 03:18 AM

Several posts have been removed as they were based on highly irrelevant speculation instead of fact. Further posts on that topic will also be removed.

A few other posts have been moved to the http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...now-38361.html thread. If you wish to discuss the merits of Harry leaving the army, the overarching purpose of the Australian stint to his plans, what he will do in the future, etc please do so there.

Questions should be directed towards the moderating team.

JessRulz
British Forum Moderator

Sun Lion 04-05-2015 03:51 AM

At least three of Australia's TV channels will be following Prince Harry live, when he is here in Oz in a few short hours.

We have been told Prince Harry will arrive in Sydney early tomorrow morning, change planes and then fly onto Canberra.

He is due at the War Memorial in Canberra at 9.00am, and is then due to report to the Defence Forces at 10.30am.

He must be in the air now as it is 5.45pm Easter Sunday evening here, and the flight from the UK is twenty-two or so hours. (Jet lag?)

People are speaking of more public engagements towards the end of his four weeks here - he is due to go to New Zealand May 9th.

And also that he will have time off in each location, Sydney, Darwin, Perth.

Marty91charmed 04-05-2015 07:24 AM

:previous: Thank you for your information Sun Lion! can't wait to see Harry in Oz... Hope it will be a successful stay:cool:

Sun Lion 04-05-2015 04:54 PM

He's here Marty91charmed - landed at Sydney airport almost two hours ago, just after 5.00am.

Very foggy here this morning so good that didn't disrupt things.

He is due in Canberra at 8.00am, and then at the War Memorial at 9.00am.

(Currently 6.50am. Easter Monday - we ended our Daylight Savings this weekend, so not as dark as last week, despite the fog)



Brilliant autumn day here in Sydney now the fog has burnt off. More overcast and cold in Canberra by the look of things - people all rugged up.

(I think Harry is due back here after his time in Canberra.)

It's being reported he will visit defence force personnel who have been wounded.

One couple drove down from Bathurst - about four hours drive - to arrive at the War Memorial at 1.00am.

All four main TV networks broadcast the Prince in his British fatigues and beret leaving Sydney and arriving in Canberra. He will wear the British military uniform during his time in Australia.

AdmirerUS 04-05-2015 07:26 PM

The world is a better place with Sun Lion covering the coverage of royals visiting Australia. Just had to give credit. i love your breezy writing style, Sun Lion. :flowers:

HRHHermione 04-05-2015 07:27 PM

Fingers crossed he gets a little time off while he's there. Bars in Australia have some historic success in helping single princes meet their match :)

Dman 04-05-2015 07:30 PM

British Royals @britishroyals · 15m 15 minutes ago
Prince Harry lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at the @AWMemorial in Canberra (via @sunriseon7 )
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/st...56368340828160

AdmirerUS 04-05-2015 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1765233)
British Royals @britishroyals · 15m 15 minutes ago
Prince Harry lays a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier at the @AWMemorial in Canberra (via @sunriseon7 )
https://twitter.com/britishroyals/st...56368340828160


I'm melting - he's in the whites! We need a smiley of a lady fanning herself. LOL

Sun Lion 04-05-2015 08:24 PM

You're a sweetie AdmirerUS - and there should be a fair amount of coverage of the Prince's time in Oz as several reports have said the Defense Forces will be releasing photos/footage of different army activities Harry gets involved in.

Maybe it will up our recruiting drive, with so much focus on the armed services.

I haven't got today's paper, but I saw one Ambassador for the Wounded interviewed on telly this morning.

They are just wrapped in what Prince Harry has done for wounded service people, and the attention he has brought to them, and in getting the community and society involved in their re-intergration.

They would love him to become an Ambassador at some stage.


And yes HRHHermione, CP Mary has been mentioned quite a bit over the previous days as young women are being encouraged to keep a look out for the Prince when hitting the hot spots of an evening.

Even the British singer Ed Sheeran, who's in Oz, has said he'd love to take Prince Harry our for a night - with our cricketer Shane Warne! - and have some fun.



And AdmirerUS, I'm sure the Prince will be issued tropical strenght sun-block and insect repellant when he's on patrol in the Northern Territory, but I hope some-one warns him not to take a dip - or even a paddle - in those sparkling blue waters.

The Simon Reeve TV series I mentioned a few posts back had a local fellow saying that no-one survives a swim there - if the sharks don't get you, the salt-water crocodiles will, and if they don't get you, the sea-snakes will, and if they don't get you, the box jellyfish - deadliest thing on earth if you're not wearing protective clothing - definitely will.

They even had to move the boat they were filming in as they'd been in the one spot twenty minutes - and that's long enough for the crocs to get interested.

(And the box jellyfish lie along the shoreline - hence not even a paddle.)

JessRulz 04-05-2015 08:42 PM

Getty Images gallery

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2015-04-0...tralia/6372194

http://www.9news.com.au/national/201...s-in-australia

http://www.news.com.au/national/prin...-1227292657574

roseroyal 04-05-2015 10:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1765235)
I'm melting - he's in the whites! We need a smiley of a lady fanning herself. LOL

I'm joining you- we really do need that smiley! Hope it's OK if I join the club! :lol:

Curryong 04-05-2015 10:30 PM

About 500 people gathered to see him and on a cold wet Canberra morning too. (It can get terribly cold in Canberra, and it's now the start of our winter.) Harry in his whites brightens things up though, and notice how he smiled and gave the crowd a wave!

He seemed to be interested in the information he was being given and appeared impressed by our War Memorial, as well he might. I think it's one of the most impressive memorials of its type in the world. Exhibits go back to the Boer War and before, when Australia was a group of colonies.

Sun Lion 04-05-2015 10:48 PM

The Prince got that Number 1 Dress Uniform soaked standing outside at Duntroon in an absolute downpour after the War Memorial, AdmirerUs and roseroyal.

And he scored a toy koala from a young girl who says she now has a "set" having previously met the Queen and the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge.

Some reports are putting the number at the public gathering at a thousand, with chants for his attention roaring through the crowd.

(And I think he'll get a similarly enthusiastic reception when New Zealand's time comes.)



If he passes the flight simulator tests, Prince Harry may be allowed to fly helicopters here, but even if he's not at the controls, I won't be suprised if they take him out over Sydney Harbour.

Not unusual for five or six big, black, noisey military helicopters to fly around the Harbour, low down to the water and the buildings about the shore.

If I see it, I'll run out on my balcony and try and get a few snaps for TRFs.:lol:

roseroyal 04-05-2015 10:49 PM

A set of what?

MARG 04-05-2015 10:56 PM

:previous: I think Harry must have lost weight because he seemed to be hitching is DPM pants up by his belt all the time. It looked like he recognised a Senior Officer and saluted in a hurry while his left hand was still hitching . . . not a good look and certainly not one I have seen him do before. :lol:

I've often wonder how he doesn't get confused on occasion, when sometimes he is the VIP receiving compliments and others he is paying compliments to Senior Officers.

Never mind, stuff happens and he's well on his way with his Charm Offensive! He seems very popular with veterans and has seen many Returned Servicemen already. That has got to be a big plus and mutually advantageous.

Sun Lion 04-05-2015 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseroyal (Post 1765278)
A set of what?


Of Royals - she has a set of Royals, having now met Prince Harry to add to the others she's met.

Tiggersk8 04-05-2015 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHHermione (Post 1765232)
Fingers crossed he gets a little time off while he's there. Bars in Australia have some historic success in helping single princes meet their match :)


Thanks for the rather painful experience of warm Apple Cider ending up in my nasal cavity due to me trying not laugh and spew at the same time. :D :D :D

Thanks for the links and Pictures Everyone!! :)


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1765235)
I'm melting - he's in the whites! We need a smiley of a lady fanning herself. LOL


Only one, because I'm right there w/you...

Nothing like a man in that White Uniform...Sigh...:)


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

fearghas 04-06-2015 12:45 AM

Prince Harry greets members of the public outside the Australian War... News Photo | Getty Images
I'm not sure what hes trying to convey but I love the look. He really is very dashing in the whites.

JessRulz 04-06-2015 01:05 AM

:previous:

It may have been Harry reacting to having to leave in a rush - he spent 10-15 minutes longer than scheduled inside the Memorial exhibitions, and thus had to rush through some parts of the walkabout so he wasn't late reporting for duty at 10:30am. Edward Lane Fox had to push him along on several occasions so Harry was able to get to all four sides of the crowd. There are a few pictures of Harry making apologetic motions to the crowd because he has to move on/leave.

It also could have been something the little boy in the grey hoodie said to him - Harry was dashing across to the cars when he spotted the sign and stopped to speak to the kids holding it up. Video: Short interview with the little boy.

Video: Harry's arrival and laying a wreath at the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier

Video: Harry during the walk-about

MARG 04-06-2015 03:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fearghas (Post 1765299)
Prince Harry greets members of the public outside the Australian War... News Photo | Getty Images
I'm not sure what hes trying to convey but I love the look. He really is very dashing in the whites.

Maybe . . . "It's hard to be cool when I'm wet right through to my undies! :lol: :rofl: :lol:

Sun Lion 04-06-2015 04:11 AM

Prince Harry didn't come back to Sydney - he arrived in the Northern Territory approximately an hour ago having changed back into his fatigues for the trip.

(That's a bit of a trip after all the flying from the UK - he left Canberra late morning. I think NT time is the same as SA time, so that is half an hour behind my time here in Sydney. He would have got there around 4.45pm or so.)

Brendan Nelson, the Australian War Memorial Director, said it was "difficult to move him out of that" - referring to the Afghanistan Gallery, and said Harry had said "this is very powerful". The Prince had specifically wanted to see this part.

Lots of laughs with the crowds - "No I hate selfies. Seriously you need to get out... I know your're young, but selfies are bad. Just take a normal photograph".

lise 04-06-2015 06:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1765332)
Prince Harry didn't come back to Sydney - he arrived in the Northern Territory approximately an hour ago having changed back into his fatigues for the trip.

(That's a bit of a trip after all the flying from the UK - he left Canberra late morning. I think NT time is the same as SA time, so that is half an hour behind my time here in Sydney. He would have got there around 4.45pm or so.)

Brendan Nelson, the Australian War Memorial Director, said it was "difficult to move him out of that" - referring to the Afghanistan Gallery, and said Harry had said "this is very powerful". The Prince had specifically wanted to see this part.

Lots of laughs with the crowds - "No I hate selfies. Seriously you need to get out... I know your're young, but selfies are bad. Just take a normal photograph".

Yes you're right Sun lion SA and NT are in the same time zone.

AdmirerUS 04-06-2015 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1765332)
Prince Harry didn't come back to Sydney - he arrived in the Northern Territory approximately an hour ago having changed back into his fatigues for the trip...

Sun Lion - is anyone saying anything about handlera coming along? Can you keep an eye peeled for this? This photo may be of locals providing info and protection or not. It puts a different spin on the trip if Harry brought along a team.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...8283343104.jpg

And thanks again!

PetticoatLane 04-06-2015 08:05 AM

I'm gonna be honest here, Harry in that white uniform does things to me.

Marty91charmed 04-06-2015 08:07 AM

:previous::biggrin::rofl::lol: You are not the only one!;)

polyesco 04-06-2015 11:37 AM

that uniform is fantastic
https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.n...61f60b533ef2f3

He is very good with crowds
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...8281258496.jpg

this one is great
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...8289631148.jpg

ROYAL NORWAY 04-06-2015 02:18 PM

Harry has never been a favourite of mine, but I do like what he does for charity. I know of people who have met him, and they were surprised / shocked at how rude and funny he was at the same time. He is very similar to his grandfather.

Video: Prince Harry arrives in Australia - Telegraph

Quote:

As he passed her, she leant over the railings to beg for a selfie, only to be jokingly ticked off.
“No, I hate selfies,” the prince replied. “Seriously, you need to get out of it. I know you’re young, but selfies are bad.”
His remarks, which were picked up by an Australian television crew, were met with laughter in the crowd, causing the prince to double back and face the girl again, smiling as he insisted: “Just take a normal photograph.”

Jacknch 04-06-2015 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 1765413)

It has been said before that Harry looks very much like Philip, and that last photo shows it very well!

An Ard Ri 04-06-2015 02:35 PM

Belga

Belga Image - Editorial

Polly 04-06-2015 04:51 PM

I think that Harry's visit is purposeful and sensitively considered.

He will be bonding further with Australian troops prior to joining the Remembrance service , with his father, at Gallipoli. This will be an occasion of great importance and an emotional challenge for Australians and New Zealanders and given the 'blame' for the catastrophe which is traditionally heaped on the UK it is entirely appropriate that Harry participate. Ditto, the Prince of Wales, who has always been particularly dutiful towards Australia, and in this instance, New Zealand, as well. The Palace could have planned nothing better than to acknowledge the importance of the event and its enduring sensitivity to, and connection with our two nations.

"I am delighted that the long and enduring association between the Australian and British Armies will be joint by the military secondment of my grandson, Prince Harry. In 2015, when together we commemorate the many sacrifices of our countrymen at Gallipoli a century ago, it is fitting that we can also reflect on the strength and persistence today of those common values and our professional military ties. I know that Captain Wales will benefit greatly from spending time with the Australian Diggers and I thank you for welcoming him into your ranks." HM The Queen

QUEENECE29 04-06-2015 05:33 PM

Prince Harry visit Australia | Selda Göktaş

Sun Lion 04-06-2015 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1765375)
Sun Lion - is anyone saying anything about handlera coming along? Can you keep an eye peeled for this? This photo may be of locals providing info and protection or not. It puts a different spin on the trip if Harry brought along a team.
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...8283343104.jpg

And thanks again!


While he's embedded with the Australian troops it's been said he won't have any "minders" - and that he will be with about thirty "good mates", Australians he already knows from Afghanistan.

There were definitely "minders" with him in Canberra yesterday - whether British or Australian - as they were quoted quite a bit about how much it took to keep him moving along. Not only in the Afghanistan gallery, but with the crowds.

There were people on four sides outside, in a square, and the "minders" had a struggle to get him around all the people.

One young lady was on TV saying she got a "sympathy shake" - he noticed her face fell when he was moved away before he got to her, so he went back and made sure he shook her hand and said hello.

The same with the enterprising young boy who painted the "Red Heads RULE!" sign - Harry noticed it and turned back and spoke with the lad.

Different versions of that photo - different expression on the Prince's face - where on, I think, the front pages of five of the different states newspapers this morning, along with two or three other front pages without the Red Heads RULE!" in the photo.

If you've seen the photo where Harry is grimacing, the NT newspaper - well known for it's joking front pages - has used that as he is now with them, and they're suggesting he doesn't know what he's in for up there - or perhaps he does, hence that expression.

An insurance company up there took out one of their crocodile policies - which they do carry - on his behalf a few weeks ago, though no-one expects the Royal Family to collect on it of course!

Skippyboo 04-06-2015 06:56 PM

There are photos showing his private secretary Ed Lane Fox and Press Guy Nick Loughran with Harry at the War Memorial.

Maybe those 2 are going over to NZ to do the physical recon of the places on the NZ itinerary, where they workout where the put the press etc.
I can't imagine them hanging out in Australia until it's time to go to Turkey. Nick is probably needed for Lindo Wing duty since Ed is gone and he the only press guy with Lindo experience.


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

ROYAL NORWAY 04-06-2015 11:09 PM

Thank you for welcoming him into your ranksť: The Queen sends letter of thanks to Australian military for welcoming Prince Harry Down Under

The Queen's message said: "I am delighted that the long and enduring association between the Australian and British armies will be joined by the military secondment of my grandson, Prince Harry.

"Together, our armed forces share skills, resources and resolve in order to uphold and defend our common values.

"In 2015, when together we commemorate the many sacrifices of our countrymen at Gallipoli a century ago, it is fitting that we can also reflect on the strength and persistence today of those common values and our professional military ties.

"I know that Captain Wales will benefit greatly from spending time with the Australian Diggers and I thank you for welcoming him into your ranks.

Elizabeth R."

lise 04-07-2015 12:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PetticoatLane (Post 1765381)
I'm gonna be honest here, Harry in that white uniform does things to me.

Me too, PetticoatLane

Rudolph 04-07-2015 03:50 AM

Prince Harry tells crowd in Australia "I hate selfies, no really I truly hate them"... urges folks to break the habit! Kelly Matthews @allthingsregal

Iluvbertie 04-07-2015 04:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Polly (Post 1765480)
I think that Harry's visit is purposeful and sensitively considered.

He will be bonding further with Australian troops prior to joining the Remembrance service , with his father, at Gallipoli. This will be an occasion of great importance and an emotional challenge for Australians and New Zealanders and given the 'blame' for the catastrophe which is traditionally heaped on the UK it is entirely appropriate that Harry participate. Ditto, the Prince of Wales, who has always been particularly dutiful towards Australia, and in this instance, New Zealand, as well. The Palace could have planned nothing better than to acknowledge the importance of the event and its enduring sensitivity to, and connection with our two nations.


Considering that way more Brits served and died in the Gallipoli campaign than Aussies or NZers I would expect that, as in the past, the main focus of the British royals visit to the peninsula will be to commemorate the British dead there.

In 2005 for the 90th Charles attended the Dawn Service, a reception, the Service for the British and visited a British war grave, the Lone Pine Service, the Turkish Thanksgiving service, the New Zealand Thanksgiving Service and another reception aboard a British War Ship).

2 for the Aussies (Dawn Service and Lone Pine)
1 for the NZers
1 for the Turks
4 for the Brits

Many Aussies don't even know that there were Brits there or that there was more than one landing site (I am not suggesting that that applies to any Aussies on this board but stating a fact). The Aussies and NZers were responsible for ONE of the five invasion sites with the Brits and French being responsible for the other four. There were also 1000s of Indian troops in the British ranks.


I know a number of Aussies who will be offended if any Brit turns up at any part of the Gallipoli commemorations (members of my extended family for instance) blaming them for the death of their loved ones or their ancestors. Although we have no living relatives who knew my great-grandfather we have a number who knew his children and their total contempt and hatred for the British started with the disaster at Gallipoli and in one branch of the family that hatred was compounded by two deaths at Singapore - another occasion when the British betrayed Australian lives in their view.


The blame is very real to most Aussies and the TV and movies continue to display that view - the British stuffed up and the Aussies and NZers paid for it with their lives. It isn't just the view of a few but the vast majority and it is the view taught in schools via the History textbooks (a couple of years ago I was commissioned to write a chapter for a textbook on the new syllabus and my chapter was sent back because I wasn't strident enough in my blaming the British for the failure at Gallipoli and at Lone Pine).

Curryong 04-07-2015 07:32 AM

Harry, Charles or any other royal isn't to blame for the ignorance of many of our countrymen and women about the true facts of Gallipoli. I have noted that the new TV series on the Gallipoli campaign was a ratings failure.

There are many British migrants in Australia and their families and I often think that anti-British feeling in Australia is over-estimated. I've never met the attitude that you describe and because of my age I've met and known many Aussie servicemen from WW2. I married into an Australian family that has been here since before Gold Rush days. My husband's uncle was a prisoner at Changi and all the brothers served.

Yet I was welcomed into the family, and Harry has been welcomed with big crowds to Australia. As he and his father will be when they go to Galllipoli later.

Mermaid1962 04-07-2015 01:50 PM

I find this conversation interesting. There are those who believe that Churchill and Mountbatten deliberately sacrificed Canadian troops at Dieppe--as a 'practice run' for a full invasion--but that doesn't seem to affect how the British or the Royal Family are viewed here. If any member of the Royal Family or another British person are disliked, it's because of their behaviour and not because of 20th century history.

Polly 04-07-2015 09:58 PM

Australians do, indeed, know of the other nations taking part and also losing vast numbers, but there's always been a difference. To the British Command it was a monumental cock-up amongst any number of monumental cock-ups: to Australia, it was a statement of nationhood!

At the time, Australia was a nation of only 14 years of age and had gained independence through a stubborn defiance of British rule, though many still retained loyalty to the monarchy. Gallipoli, though, has come to mean so much to so many Australians despite its being a military disaster - it was the first time that this country, as an independent country, had joined in open warfare. In WW1 Australia suffered greater losses on the Western Front but because Gallipoli was the first and so very badly executed, it became the most significant.

At Gallipoli there were three different battlefields: Australia and New Zealand commemorate those who were butchered on one of them, where Australian casualties were 18,500 wounded and missing, 7,594 killed - New Zealand, 5,150 wounded and missing and 2,431 killed. Given the tiny populations of both countries in those days, these losses were regarded as horrendous, unacceptable, and the fault of sheer incompetence, all of which was true.

The organisation was chaotic - badly conceived and poorly planned - a disgrace, in fact. The German general, von Sanders, who was Mustafa Kemal's adviser, had good intelligence thus sufficient time (and superior military acumen) to prepare for the attack. When in April the ANZACS did land they were met by heavy and sustained fire, barbed wire on the beaches and strategic defensive firing position in the heights. After this wholesale failure, instead of aborting operations, the British decided to send 5 more divisions to the slaughter and it took them a long time (November) to admit that the entire enterprise was a complete disaster and a pointless squandering of life. In January, the evacuations began.

As a consequence, Winston Churchill was forced to resign from the War Cabinet in disgrace and Australia determined to never again allow Britain to command its troops - it was, in fact, a mighty fillip for republicanism - the outrage was palpable. The Turkish commander, Kemal, became the first President of Turkey, was later declared Ataturk, and more than once gave honour to the ANZACS. There is a memorial to this great man in Sydney, and for their part, the Turks, with Australia, care for the ANZAC War Memorial,park and roads at Gallipoli and go to considerable trouble to welcome Australians and New Zealanders who arrive each year to commemorate this appalling military fiasco. Throughout Australia and New Zealand there are pine trees, all descendents of the Lone Pine at Gallipoli which are truly valued as historic monuments to the Diggers.

"Lions led by donkeys" said one German general, and he was right! Two magnificent exceptions in WW1 were Australia's John Monash (the King declared him the greatest General of the War) and Canada's superlative soldier, Arthur Currie. Both men had those rare qualities - genuine superior intelligence and abundant common sense - and neither was hampered by relying on the outdated military tactics used in prosecuting small, colonial wars nor overwhelmed by a huge war of industrial strength and scale. Indeed, Lloyd George said that had the War not ended when it did, he was intending to sack the British High Command and place Currie and Monash at the helm of all operations.

On April 24, Princes Charles and Harry will attend a UK-led service at Helles on the Gallipoli peninsula and also a separate international service. Both princes will then attend the joint Anzac dawn service on April 25 before paying their respects at the Australian memorial at Lone Pine. They'll also attend the New Zealand-led commemorative service at Chunuk Bair. As they should.



Tiggersk8 04-07-2015 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mermaid1962 (Post 1765678)
I find this conversation interesting. There are those who believe that Churchill and Mountbatten deliberately sacrificed Canadian troops at Dieppe--as a 'practice run' for a full invasion--but that doesn't seem to affect how the British or the Royal Family are viewed here. If any member of the Royal Family or another British person are disliked, it's because of their behaviour and not because of 20th century history.


It's actually come out in the last five or six years that Dieppe was actually a pinch raid to try and grab the new version of the Enigma Code Machine. It was in the latest big batch of Classified Material from WWII to be Declassified and is explained in length in the excellent One Day In August by David O'Keefe. Highly recommend this book.

I don't know as much about Gallipoli I am sad to say, but I do know it was a disaster for the ANZAC Forces. I hope Harry attending the Memorial Commemorations while serving w/the ADF helps to serve as a bridge between now and then.


Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

grevinnan 04-08-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1765446)
It has been said before that Harry looks very much like Philip, and that last photo shows it very well!

In some of the photos from this trip he looks so much like his father, the Prince of Wales too.

Sun Lion 04-09-2015 06:04 PM

Photos have been released overnight of Prince Harry's suprise visit to an Aboriginal community in Western Australia.

Too late to make my Friday morning newpaper here in Sydney, but covered by breakfast TV.

The community was unaware of the impending visit that was about an hour in length, and the Prince was also reported as doing a spot of fishing.

Very nice photos - probably up on various newsites by now.

AdmirerUS 04-09-2015 06:23 PM

What a mate! Prince Harry poses with locals in remote community of Wuggubun in WA's Kimberley - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation)
https://au.news.yahoo.com/thewest/a/...in-for-a-chat/
I think the Telegraph also has released the same group photo and a couple of lines.

Muhler 04-09-2015 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Curryong (Post 1765566)
Harry, Charles or any other royal isn't to blame for the ignorance of many of our countrymen and women about the true facts of Gallipoli. I have noted that the new TV series on the Gallipoli campaign was a ratings failure.

There are many British migrants in Australia and their families and I often think that anti-British feeling in Australia is over-estimated. I've never met the attitude that you describe and because of my age I've met and known many Aussie servicemen from WW2. I married into an Australian family that has been here since before Gold Rush days. My husband's uncle was a prisoner at Changi and all the brothers served.

Yet I was welcomed into the family, and Harry has been welcomed with big crowds to Australia. As he and his father will be when they go to Galllipoli later.

Was that the one about the nurses? That wasn't so bad.

polyesco 04-09-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1766503)
Photos have been released overnight of Prince Harry's suprise visit to an Aboriginal community in Western Australia.

Too late to make my Friday morning newpaper here in Sydney, but covered by breakfast TV.

The community was unaware of the impending visit that was about an hour in length, and the Prince was also reported as doing a spot of fishing.

Very nice photos - probably up on various newsites by now.


How nice. the pictures are wonderful

Curryong 04-09-2015 09:53 PM

Mahler, it was a new TV series about the Gallipoli campaign, made for the 100th anniversary, which is of course this year. Anzac Day is of course huge here in Australia and I think Channel 9 here had big hopes for it, but it flopped in the ratings.

I'm glad Harry had a chance to do this, and the community to see him. The photos are terrific.

Sun Lion 04-16-2015 12:30 AM

It's being reported that the "ginger ninja" Prince Harry may now be back in Darwin after his big bush patrol with NORFORCE.

Unmarked police cars and federal police have been sighted at the Darwin RAAF Base, and there are rumours he has been seen back at Robertson Barracks.

Sun Lion 04-18-2015 02:25 PM

More photos of Prince Harry in Australia are now out - aiming his gun, in a military helicopter, giving first-aid, in a wheel-chair Aussie Rules football game.

The MailOnline has many, many very good photos currently.



P.S. Sunday morning - video footage also being broadcast on different Australian TV channels now.

JessRulz 04-18-2015 09:59 PM

Prince Harry on Military Secondment with the Australian Defence Force - Handout photos from the ADF

Getty Images Gallery

Marty91charmed 04-19-2015 09:17 AM

:previous:Those snaps are gorgeous! Especially the ones with children!:flowers::flowers::flowers:

AdmirerUS 04-19-2015 10:22 AM

The one of him standing on something, on tiptoe, to see into the cockpit - we have seen him do that before when looking at helicopters. It's very charming and little boyish. Heck, he's cute. :blush:

In this handout photo provided by the Australian Defence Force Prince... News Photo | Getty Images

Elenath 04-19-2015 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1769477)
The one of him standing on something, on tiptoe, to see into the cockpit - we have seen him do that before when looking at helicopters. It's very charming and little boyish. Heck, he's cute. :blush:

In this handout photo provided by the Australian Defence Force Prince... News Photo | Getty Images

Don’t want to disturb your daydreaming but that’s the other guy... ;) Harry’s not standing on his toes.

Muhler 04-19-2015 12:19 PM

Harry on field patrol, with what looks to me to be a more recent version of the Australian service rifle, the Steyer AUG: Prince Harry on patrol Down Under | Royalista
But isn't that a British combat uniform he is wearing? The Australian is quite distinct, unless it is being replaced?

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a nerd.

Rudolph 04-19-2015 01:00 PM

I don't know how much actual soldiering Harry is doing. The photos are nice but it looks more like a Tom Cruise film than a tactical military exercise.

This has always been the dilemma/debate, how much of Harry's army career is/was PR and how much was actually being a soldier.

William faced the same questions when he served in the RAF

Jacknch 04-19-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1769502)
I don't know how much actual soldiering Harry is doing. The photos are nice but it looks more like a Tom Cruise film than a tactical military exercise.

This has always been the dilemma/debate, how much of Harry's army career is/was PR and how much was actually being a soldier.

William faced the same questions when he served in the RAF

I am not sure how much can be gleaned from these photos, but I can only imagine that Harry is doing what the other soldiers with him are doing.

AdmirerUS 04-19-2015 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Elenath (Post 1769478)
Don’t want to disturb your daydreaming but that’s the other guy... ;) Harry’s not standing on his toes.

Well, that was cruel. I'm also going blind.

Elenath 04-19-2015 05:20 PM

Well... The other guy is also quite cute. ☺️


Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community mobile app

Curryong 04-19-2015 05:50 PM

There's an overload of cuteness all round! Harry was with the other soldiers in the outback, learning survival skills. He seems to be getting on very well with his fellow soldiers. If there was more of these sort of field exercises and less of the desk Harry probably wouldn't have left.

Sun Lion 04-19-2015 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muhler (Post 1769500)
Harry on field patrol, with what looks to me to be a more recent version of the Australian service rifle, the Steyer AUG: Prince Harry on patrol Down Under | Royalista
But isn't that a British combat uniform he is wearing? The Australian is quite distinct, unless it is being replaced?

Yeah, yeah, I know, I'm a nerd.


Hi Muhler - yes, that would be a British uniform Prince Harry is wearing.

It was reported here that he would be in British military attire throughout his stay in Oz as he is a British soldier just attached, or seconded, to the Australian forces.



P.S. If there is anything in Denmark about CP Mary at the Anzac Service in Copenhagen - could you do a post?

I haven't seen anything about it on our TV or in our papers yet. At best we may just get a photo.

Thanking you in advance.

lucymae88 04-19-2015 09:41 PM

The picture of Harry holding the little kid is the best. It looks so natural and he looks so comfortable. I bet it was his idea to visit the aboriginal community too. I know a lot of people are saying Harry isn't doing everything the other soldiers are doing. If you talk to any of the soldiers that has been with him, he does what they do and they don't have nothing bad to say about him. He is royal and the firm has to allow some pics to please the media, even if Harry wasn't all for it. Harry has always took his military career serious.

Muhler 04-20-2015 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1769617)
Hi Muhler - yes, that would be a British uniform Prince Harry is wearing.

It was reported here that he would be in British military attire throughout his stay in Oz as he is a British soldier just attached, or seconded, to the Australian forces.



P.S. If there is anything in Denmark about CP Mary at the Anzac Service in Copenhagen - could you do a post?

I haven't seen anything about it on our TV or in our papers yet. At best we may just get a photo.

Thanking you in advance.

Thanks, Sun Lion. :flowers:

Don't worry, anything Mary does is covered in the Danish media. And that is great because few Danes know about Gallipoli and how formative it was for New Zealand and Australia and their national characters. - And Turkey too, for that matter...


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:41 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2019
Jelsoft Enterprises