The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Imperial Family of Japan (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/)
-   -   Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Japan - February 26-March 1, 2015 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f68/duke-of-cambridge-visit-to-japan-february-26-march-1-2015-a-38265.html)

muriel 11-27-2014 08:55 AM

Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Japan - February 26-March 1, 2015

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan

Press Release

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan and China

Rudolph 11-27-2014 08:58 AM

Prince William to visit Japan and China - Telegraph
Quote:

The Duke of Cambridge will visit Japan and China early next year at the request of the Government, Kensington Palace has confirmed, but the Duchess will not risk the trip because of her pregnancy.

The Duke will spend three days in each country in February and March at the request of the Government.

His visit will be the most high-profile royal visit to China since the Queen and the Duke of Edinburgh toured the country in 1986.

Rudolph 02-19-2015 03:44 PM

Press Release

HRH The Duke of Cambridge to visit Japan and China - Focus on cultural exchange and creative partnerships

hernameispekka 02-19-2015 03:50 PM

Saw that. Seems well versed. But did I miss something? No mention of the Emperor and Empress. Kind of expected them. :P

ROYAL NORWAY 02-20-2015 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1751772)
Saw that. Seems well versed. But did I miss something? No mention of the Emperor and Empress. Kind of expected them. :P

I am surprised that he is not likely to meet Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko. I know that William is only second in line to the throne, but the Japanese imperial couple uses to meet all kinds of official persons who is visiting Japan, Monarchs, Crown Princes, Crown Princesses, Princes, Princesses, Presidents, Prime Ministers and Foreign Ministers etc.

I'm sure William could had an audience with them if he had wanted to. I have previously read in Japanese media that several official persons have been offered a audience, but they have declined it because they didn't have time or it didn' fit.

cepe 02-20-2015 03:09 PM

This is the briefing that Miguel Head has given on the visit to Japan. Apparently more details will be released - possibly mtg with the Emperor or Crown Prince?

Our view

Rudolph 02-20-2015 08:35 PM

Britain's Prince William to visit disaster-hit areas in Japan - 毎日新聞
Quote:

LONDON (Kyodo) -- Britain's Prince William will make a four-day trip to Japan from next Thursday, which will take him to areas in the country's northeast hard hit by the March 2011 disasters, according to the Buckingham Palace.

The prince's itinerary during his first visit to Japan includes visiting on Feb. 28 with disaster-hit residents in Koriyama, Fukushima Prefecture, followed by meetings with local people in the tsunami-hit city of Ishinomaki and Onagawa town, both in Miyagi Prefecture.

Dman 02-20-2015 08:42 PM

I think Japan will be happy to welcome a senior member of the British royal family once again.

Skippyboo 02-21-2015 08:02 PM

The bit at the end meeting the Japanese Prince is confusing.Why would Wills be meeting an 11 yr old boy? In Japan, it's the Crown Prince, then his younger brother and then the boy who is the son of the CP's younger brother. The boy isn't in the same place as William. He is in the same position as George.

Sent from my iPhone using The Royals Community

Chubb Fuddler 02-21-2015 09:37 PM

There is nothing in the briefing by the Duke's Private Secretary about about Prince Hisohito, so I think the Telegraph is just making up things. They also got it wrong about the Crown Prince having daughters instead of a daughter. The Duke and the Prince are both grandsons of the reigning monarch, so I suppose that might make them "counterparts" in a way, but it is an odd word to use.

cepe 02-25-2015 09:33 PM

From Twitter

Friday, Feb. 27: #Prince #William will have a luncheon with the Emperor and Empress before meeting with Crown Prince Naruhito

Source: http://blogs.wsj.com/japanrealtime/2...-tohoku-visit/

via @TRH_WandC on Twitter

JessRulz 02-26-2015 04:24 AM

William has arrived in Japan and begun his visit.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 6m
The Duke of Cambridge passes under the iconic Rainbow bridge in Tokyo #royalvisitjp

julliette 02-26-2015 08:45 AM

Prince William is mobbed by flag-waving fans in rainy Tokyo | Daily Mail Online

Marika86 02-26-2015 09:28 AM

Getty Images: The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 1

Rudolph 02-26-2015 10:12 AM

Prince William masters delicate art of Tokyo tea ceremony - Telegragh
Quote:

There will be tougher challenges before his Far East tour is out, but the Duke of Cambridge passed his first test of protocol in Japan by negotiating the delicate art of the tea ceremony as he arrived in Tokyo.

The ancient ritual is so sacrosanct that members of the media were not actually allowed to witness the tea being brewed; paper privacy screens were slid into place at the vital moment, then later parted to reveal the Duke sipping his brew from an antique bowl cupped in both hands.

The traditional VIP welcome to the country was a soft landing for the Duke on his first visit to Japan, but his seven-day tour of the Far East is likely to prove his most controversial foreign mission to date.
William takes tea on japan visit | Daily Mail Online
Quote:

The Duke of Cambridge has experienced a simple but spiritual Japanese tea ceremony to mark his arrival in the Far East country.

William who is making his first trip to Japan, was served tea by a grand master who has performed the ritual for his parents the Prince and Princess of Wales, and the Queen.
The second-in-line to the throne was taken to a centuries-old Tokyo teahouse and seated at a small table where he received the green tea, said to have life-prolonging properties.

Even before the Duke arrived on Thursday morning, there were accusations from victims of the 2011 Fukushima nuclear disaster that he was being used as a stooge by Japans prime minister to promote his pro-nuclear policies.
When he arrives in China next week, there will be the equally delicate matter of repairing the damage done by his father the Prince of Waless description of Chinese officials as appalling old waxworks, not to mention his determination to raise the issue of the illegal wildlife trade in a country which is one of the worlds biggest markets for poached animal products.

Osipi 02-26-2015 10:14 AM

Its not been that long since he's landed in Japan and already I am sensing a very successful trip. It was so heartwarming to see all the people that turned out even in the bad weather to welcome him. He is really gaining his stride as an ambassador representing the UK I think and no guitar necessary. :biggrin:

hernameispekka 02-26-2015 10:14 AM

I'm really impressed so for. Not for any specific reason more that you can really tell he is taking this dead serious. He knows this is an important tour in diplomatic terms and he makes sure he won't screw it up. He isn't his normal joke-y self, he waves smaller, you can see he sits and do the exact things as the man next to him at the tea house etc. I think he has really tried to study the culture and do's/don'ts for the way to behave in his host countries. Kudos to him, I really think he will do this tour well!

Daria_S 02-26-2015 01:31 PM

William has wonderful 'people' skills, and it shows in all pictures. I think he will do his country proud. No doubt he realizes that this is not to be taken lightly. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the tour turns out.

Sent from my iPad using The Royals Community mobile app

QUEENECE29 02-26-2015 02:13 PM

Duke of Cambridge: Visit to Japan and China

Duke of Cambridge Visit to Japan and China | Selda Göktaş

Dman 02-26-2015 02:30 PM

Video:
Prince William has arrived in Tokyo as he begins a week-long trip to Asia. The Duke will spend four days in Japan before travelling to China-

Home - ITNSource News

roseroyal 02-26-2015 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessRulz (Post 1753609)
William has arrived in Japan and begun his visit.

Kensington Palace ‏@KensingtonRoyal 6m
The Duke of Cambridge passes under the iconic Rainbow bridge in Tokyo #royalvisitjp

Quote:

Originally Posted by Daria_S (Post 1753751)
William has wonderful 'people' skills, and it shows in all pictures. I think he will do his country proud. No doubt he realizes that this is not to be taken lightly. Looking forward to seeing how the rest of the tour turns out.

Quote:

Originally Posted by julliette (Post 1753654)

First- Love.
Love the DM pics! I wanna try those tea cakes! The man has a smile that lights up the room.
@ Daria- Ditto.

IloveCP 02-26-2015 02:54 PM

BBC News - Prince William arrives in Japan for four-day visit

AdmirerUS 02-26-2015 07:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseroyal (Post 1753766)
First- Love.
Love the DM pics! I wanna try those tea cakes! The man has a smile that lights up the room.
@ Daria- Ditto.

No chopsticks! FLUNKIES (that's just offensive) rather than delegations. And fine green tea is not bitter. That is all. Hope everyone dries out.

Al_bina 02-26-2015 07:11 PM

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2797524.html

Prince William tours Japan (Day 1)| Blogs•Spletnik.ru

The above post contains photos of Prince William's visit to Japan (Day 1). I wonder why Prince William was sent to tour Japan.

hernameispekka 02-26-2015 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_bina (Post 1753849)
https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2797524.html

Prince William tours Japan (Day 1)| Blogs•Spletnik.ru

The above post contains photos of Prince William's visit to Japan (Day 1). I wonder why Prince William was sent to tour Japan.

He was sent to open the GREAT exhibit in China and did a China-Japan combo :P

cepe 02-26-2015 07:25 PM

The briefing for the Japan leg of the trip included this:

The programme has a number of themes, not least the importance of UK-Japan commercial and cultural exchange and also how tradition and innovation work together in modern Japan. The programme will also give The Duke the chance to show his personal respects to the thousands of people affected by the earthquake and tsunami of 11th March 2011, as well as to highlight the ongoing need for support for recovery in the affected area.

Full briefing: Our view

hernameispekka 02-26-2015 07:45 PM

James Whatling ‏@JWhatling
#PrinceWilliam will lay a wreath today in the same spot as his mother did in 1995. #Diana #RoyalVisitJP #lestweforget

cepe 02-26-2015 09:14 PM

Rhiannon Mills ‏@SkyRhiannon 7 mins7 minutes ago
Prince William looks at the photo of Princess Diana at the Yokohama war graves cemetery in 1995

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B-0Cq2tXEAAjKxf.jpg

hernameispekka 02-26-2015 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1753873)
Prince William looks at the photo of Princess Diana at the Yokohama war graves cemetery in 1995

Auch, hit's straight in the heart that one, huh?

Lady Nimue 02-27-2015 12:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1753765)
Video:Prince William has arrived in Tokyo as he begins a week-long trip to Asia. The Duke will spend four days in Japan before travelling to China-
Home - ITNSource News

He's doing a nice job, albeit I have to say that if Catherine were present it would be more interesting. ;) The clothes and shoes and hair and what-all. Watching him in all the videos and the still poses, I think how it was all likely planned to have them both standing there, Catherine waving by his side. Still, he's doing okay. His smile is warm and feels very genuine. I think he's grown up a lot, to at least have sophisticated to his role in a serious way. He feels comfortable to watch.

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 12:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 1753880)
He's doing a nice job, albeit I have to say that if Catherine were present it would be more interesting. ;) The clothes and shoes and hair and what-all. Watching him in all the videos and the still poses, I think how it was all likely planned to have them both standing there, Catherine waving by his side. Still, he's doing okay. His smile is warm and feels very genuine. I think he's grown up a lot, to at least have sophisticated to his role in a serious way. He feels comfortable to watch.

I actually think this tour is more benifical this way. The focus, though a bit lesser of it, is on the diplomacy and this is Williams chance to show that he can be a serious, "boring" and proper diplomat for the country in tricky cultures. If Kate was with (and yes, I would love it too) they would interact more with each other and it would be more giggles and fun. This way he can show a more somber (Is that the right word even if event's aren't sad?) side of himself which is an important part in being a future king. Just my five cents :P

ROYAL NORWAY 02-27-2015 01:35 AM

William meets Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

Prince William meets with Japanese emperor, empress | Photos | Kyodo News

Queen Camilla 02-27-2015 01:39 AM

Without Kate, the artices do not stay long on the various websites and there are less photos of the various events.

IloveCP 02-27-2015 01:42 AM

@BBCPeterHunt: After bowing his head, Prince William told Emperor Akihito, “Your Majesty. Very nice to see you again.”

Gallery:

Getty

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1753888)
William meets Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo.

Glad to see :) Do you think we will get to see more pictures from it and meeting with the young prince?

Lady Nimue 02-27-2015 02:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1753882)
I actually think this tour is more benifical this way. The focus, though a bit lesser of it, is on the diplomacy and this is Williams chance to show that he can be a serious, "boring" and proper diplomat for the country in tricky cultures. If Kate was with (and yes, I would love it too) they would interact more with each other and it would be more giggles and fun. This way he can show a more somber (Is that the right word even if event's aren't sad?) side of himself which is an important part in being a future king. Just my five cents :P

Well said. :flowers: I agree, especially the part where you indicate that it would be more about William and Catherine's interactions, "giggles and fun". Maybe a day will come when the two of them together can have that joint soberness. (Very interesting how the presence of the woman changes the media interest).

I was watching the video of William in the rain on the boat and have to say, if I were Catherine, I would be glad I was snug at home tending to my pregnancy. I'm a wuss, yes. ;)

ROYAL NORWAY 02-27-2015 02:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1753893)
Glad to see :) Do you think we will get to see more pictures from it and meeting with the young prince?

Here is a video of it.

Prince meets Japanese Emperor and Empress - ITV News

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 02:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1753903)

Thank you :)

Awww, those two. They're like cute little dolls! :P They look especially tiny near William :P

Elly C 02-27-2015 04:12 AM

I'm pleased to see that the visit is getting some coverage in the mainstream news - I did have my fears that with the absence of Kate it wouldn't surface.

camelot23ca 02-27-2015 04:45 AM

The Japanese Imperial couple, as well as the Crown Prince, seem like they'd be genuinely interesting and pleasant people to talk to.

Dman 02-27-2015 04:52 AM

William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job. There will be tours that they will do separately, although I think this was meant to be joint tour, I think William is doing just fine on his own.

Yes, it's very touching that William viewed a photo of his late mother at the Commonwealth War Graves. She may have been gone for a longtime, but she's never forgotten by the people and other countries. No matter what, her memory is kept alive and I think William and Harry appreciate it.

ROYAL NORWAY 02-27-2015 06:37 AM

William meets Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace in Tokyo. He also met Crown Prince Naruhito.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BjJe_Xftskc

Skippyboo 02-27-2015 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 1753902)
Well said. :flowers: I agree, especially the part where you indicate that it would be more about William and Catherine's interactions, "giggles and fun". Maybe a day will come when the two of them together can have that joint soberness. (Very interesting how the presence of the woman changes the media interest).

I was watching the video of William in the rain on the boat and have to say, if I were Catherine, I would be glad I was snug at home tending to my pregnancy. I'm a wuss, yes. ;)

William and Kate can do somber and serious. The South Pacific tour in 2012 had several examples including the mosque and the trip to the war cemetery. In NZ, they met with people who lost their love ones in the earth quake. A tour like this is different in its nature because of where it's at. Canada, Australia, NZ are all realms and more informal in nature. While Japan and China are steeped in custom and protocol making this trip more formal. I have no doubt that W&K can handle it and will do so in future tours together as they go to places outside the realms of the Queen.

AdmirerUS 02-27-2015 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Queen Camilla (Post 1753890)
Without Kate, the artices do not stay long on the various websites and there are less photos of the various events.

It did flash through my head how different the coverage would be were it Kate walking around in a wet wool coat. Commentary for days and the horror of it all... Not to mention frizzing of hair. :whistling:

I like William on his own. He does a fine job and has that same focus on the person to whom he is speaking that his mom and his wife had/have in their tool box. The Queen does that "listen to them intently" too. There is an old Eagles/Don Henley song called "Learn to be Still" that I always think of when I see pictures of them listening to someone's story.

Dman 02-27-2015 09:10 AM

Video:
Prince William today lunched with the Japanese Emperor Akihito and Empress Michiko at the Imperial Palace and laid a wreath at the Commonwealth war cemetery in Yokohama, near Tokyo on the second day of his first visit to Japan-

Home - ITNSource News

Video:
At a function to promote British industry in the afternoon, Prince William looked slightly sheepish in a bright red "happi", a traditional Japanese house coat as he joined a Japanese astronaut to swing a wooden hammer and crack open a barrel of sake-

Home - ITNSource News

LadyCatharine 02-27-2015 09:35 AM

A wonderful man he grew up to be
Diana would have been splendidly proud

Mermaid1962 02-27-2015 11:30 AM

I'm sure she'd be very proud of him.:flowers:

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1753874)

Al_bina 02-27-2015 12:06 PM

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2798677.html

The above post contains photos of Prince William's visit to Japan (Day 2).

polyesco 02-27-2015 12:34 PM

With the crown prince of Japan
http://www.vorsten.nl/wp-content/upl...ANP270215100-1

Pics and article
Prince William reveals his childhood ambition was to become an astronaut | Daily Mail Online

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1753919)
William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job. There will be tours that they will do separately, although I think this was meant to be joint tour, I think William is doing just fine on his own.

Yes, it's very touching that William viewed a photo of his late mother at the Commonwealth War Graves. She may have been gone for a longtime, but she's never forgotten by the people and other countries. No matter what, her memory is kept alive and I think William and Harry appreciate it.

I didn't say they can't because they really can. But I still think this tour might be better this way just so to see William as a separate unit, just like we would with Kate in Malta if that had gone through

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1753929)
William and Kate can do somber and serious. The South Pacific tour in 2012 had several examples including the mosque and the trip to the war cemetery. In NZ, they met with people who lost their love ones in the earth quake. A tour like this is different in its nature because of where it's at. Canada, Australia, NZ are all realms and more informal in nature. While Japan and China are steeped in custom and protocol making this trip more formal. I have no doubt that W&K can handle it and will do so in future tours together as they go to places outside the realms of the Queen.

I have no doubt they could handle it either. That is not at all what I'm saying...

AdmirerUS 02-27-2015 02:30 PM

Chris Jackson caught a unique likeness, today in Japan: Prince William Duke of Cambridge on stage at an 'Innovation is Great'... News Photo | Getty Images

roseroyal 02-27-2015 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1753872)
News from China -it's a start.....

China bans ivory imports – what will happen next month? | Wildlife News

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1753874)

Quote:

Originally Posted by polyesco (Post 1754024)

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1753888)

First- The image of William looking at the photo of Diana- no words.
Second- It sure does. I cried. I miss her.:heart2: :rose2:
Third- Love the photos of Diana. Why didn't the Crown Princess appear in public with her husband?
Fourth- Tall William with the short emperor and Empress. :lol:

TLLK 02-27-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYAL NORWAY (Post 1753903)

Do the men of the BRF typically click their heels when bowing? I'd never noticed this before.

While I'd always known that William favored his mother's looks, some of the photos from today are incredible. He even has her mannerisms.

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1754065)
Do the men of the BRF typically click their heels when bowing? I'd never noticed this before.

I don't think they are clicking their heels. I think they are making sure to have the right stance. Military style more than Dorothy style :P

TLLK 02-27-2015 06:50 PM

Well maybe now and then they think "There's no place like home." :-)

IloveCP 02-27-2015 07:06 PM

Gallery from today:

Getty

Skippyboo 02-27-2015 07:50 PM

It's more standing to attention and then bowing.

Dman 02-27-2015 07:59 PM

RKD retweeted
The Royal Record @TheRoyalRecord 10h 10 hours ago
W: "I am only sorry that Catherine and George cannot be here in Japan this time, but I know that she looks forward to visiting Japan (cont.)

The Royal Record @TheRoyalRecord 10h 10 hours ago
in the future. I know that she is following my visit here closely, and would have me pass to you all her warmest greetings." - @MirrorRoyal

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1754095)
It's more standing to attention and then bowing.

Exactly. I didn't know the words, hence "military style" :P haha

AdmirerUS 02-27-2015 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1754068)
I don't think they are clicking their heels. I think they are making sure to have the right stance. Military style more than Dorothy style :P

OK - when Obama did the deep bow to the Emperor (and the press freaked out) he also had heels together. I can find several older accounts of how to bow and they say to have heels together. The click happens when you make this heels together move with energy.
There was also this, about Bowing in Japanese culture, in general: Bowing In Japan [Japanese Etiquette] - Tofugu

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1754104)
OK - when Obama did the deep bow to the Emperor (and the press freaked out) he also had heels together. I can find several older accounts of how to bow and they say to have heels together. The click happens when you make this heels together move with energy.
There was also this, about Bowing in Japanese culture, in general: Bowing In Japan [Japanese Etiquette] - Tofugu

You learn something new everyday :) So he's doing it the right way :P

Edit: Read the link. The head bow (which is the one William does) the article says is informal for close friends. But since they are royal both... How does the other royals do (both with each other but mostly, with the JIF)? Obama's was wrong, right? Because both of them is heads of state he shouldn't bow, right? Or maybe just do a little nod :P

I guess the thread was moved. So I was wrong, apparently they are in the host countries thread....

Lady Nimue 02-27-2015 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1753944)
I like William on his own. He does a fine job and has that same focus on the person to whom he is speaking that his mom and his wife had/have in their tool box. The Queen does that "listen to them intently" too. There is an old Eagles/Don Henley song called "Learn to be Still" that I always think of when I see pictures of them listening to someone's story.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyCatharine (Post 1753965)
A wonderful man he grew up to be
Diana would have been splendidly proud

Let's not forget his father, who very much has had an impact on William's style of approach. :flowers:

I'm sure Charles is proud and watching with keen interest. (As my mother used to say: Let's not forget the living in our justifiable deference to the dead).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1753919)
William and Catherine have had a joint somber events together. They know how to do their job.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1753929)
William and Kate can do somber and serious.

How unique to have what was really a very innocuous comment generate no less than two rebuttals. :wave: Be assured that my comment was not meant in any way as derogatory towards William and Catherine as a couple.

My point was solely that with the woman present the triviality of dress and shoes and hair tends to absorb the attention, and it does. No more than that. :flowers:

hernameispekka 02-27-2015 10:48 PM

People are waiting outside a bookstore where William will soon arrive:

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...00511070851072

Love that artwork! Hope he she get's to give it! :)

https://twitter.com/KensingtonRoyal/...400576/photo/1

Haha, this is funny. But he IS in Japan, so ofc he is greeted by a cute thing like this :P

Dman 02-28-2015 12:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 1754157)
How unique to have what was really a very innocuous comment generate no less than two rebuttals. :wave: Be assured that my comment was not meant in any way as derogatory towards William and Catherine as a couple.

My point was solely that with the woman present the triviality of dress and shoes and hair tends to absorb the attention, and it does. No more than that. :flowers:

I knew what you meant, Lady Nimue. I wasn't coming down on your comment. Sorry if that's how it all came off.

Pictures:
The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 3-

Pictures & News Photos | Getty Images

Great funny pictures.

hernameispekka 02-28-2015 02:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1754183)
Pictures:
The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 3-

Great funny pictures.

Haha, what funny pictures. Why was he dressed like that? :)

Seems like a nice, lighthearted day :) Tomorrow will be much heavier.

Osipi 02-28-2015 02:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1754186)
Haha, what funny pictures. Why was he dressed like that? :)

Seems like a nice, lighthearted day :) Tomorrow will be much heavier.

He really looked like he was enjoying himself and getting into the spirit of things wasn't he? From what I read, he put on the Samurai outfit when he was on a set where they were making a historical program.

soapstar 02-28-2015 02:43 AM

I'm really enjoying all of the photos and videos that are coming out. It looks like William is having a very successful visit.

hernameispekka 02-28-2015 02:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Osipi (Post 1754187)
He really looked like he was enjoying himself and getting into the spirit of things wasn't he? From what I read, he put on the Samurai outfit when he was on a set where they were making a historical program.

Aha, ok. :P He seems to have really fun. I love their little instagram video with him and the kids. He's so comfortable. You can really tell he knows how to interact with kids.

Rudolph 02-28-2015 05:29 AM

William fever hits Japan during his royal visit - ITV News
Quote:

Prince William was greeted by screaming crowds eager to get a glimpse of him as he visited a bookshop on the third day of his Japanese tour.

Crowds held up pictures of William and Kate, while one woman showed off a painting of the royal couple and Prince George.

AdmirerUS 02-28-2015 08:28 AM

Juggling: Kensington Palace retweeted https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...64_bigger.jpeg Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty 4h4 hours ago
The Duke of Cambridge demonstrated his juggling prowess in a ball pit in Koriyama this afternoon #RoyalVisitJP

Scads more photos - some great ones with children, today: Duke Of Cambridge Pictures & News Photos | Getty Images
Edit:
Also great photos in Kabuki dress.

Clearly, this is a man who loathes his job (not).

Dman 02-28-2015 09:21 AM

Videos:
Prince William has launched the 'Innovation is GREAT' exhibition in Daikanyama today, as part of his on-going tour of Japan. The event, being staged by the Tsutaya Bookshop on the outskirts of Tokyo, highlights UK innovation and collaboration between Britain and Japan, including work being done by luxury car manufacturer Aston Martin-

Home - ITNSource News

Check out William Juggling with the Kids-
Prince William has met staff and pupils at a children's play school in Fukushima today, on day three of his official visit to Japan. Accompanied by the Japanese Premier Shinzo Abe, the 32 year old royal got into a ball pit to play with some of the children, before venturing outside, where he planted a tree with the help of one of the play school's children. However, the visit has drawn some criticism from some people who have accused Mr Abe of using the prince to promote his pro-nuclear policies-
Home - ITNSource News

Royal Photographer, Arthur Edwards and William's banter is just classic-

Prince William has been dressed up as a famous Samurai warrior, during a visit to the studios of Japanese broadcaster NHK today. The Prince, who is on day three of his official visit to the country, met the cast and crew of of 'Taiga' - a historical drama which has been running for 50 years-
Home - ITNSource News

Dash @DashRoyal 1h 1 hour ago
Prince William on Japanese TV show: "Is it like Eastenders?" On wooden toy: "George will love this. Very hungry characters, like George.

Duchess News Files @Duchess_Files 1h 1 hour ago
Prince William & Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo Abe don yukatas for a dinner in Fukushima. (AP Photos) #RoyalVisitJP
https://twitter.com/Duchess_Files/st...54589633601536

Spheno 02-28-2015 11:31 AM

I really don't understand why this thread was moved in Japan forum. The Duke spent with the imperial family only one or two hours and 3 days without any japanese royal.

hernameispekka 02-28-2015 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spheno (Post 1754275)
I really don't understand why this thread was moved in Japan forum. The Duke spent with the imperial family only one or two hours and 3 days without any japanese royal.

Appearantly it's the rules... :P

Oh, all these clips! I loooove William with the kids! That girl keeps bombarding him, love it! :P And juggling! That's a hidden talent, huh?

Al_bina 02-28-2015 01:37 PM

Prince William's tour in Japan (Day 3) | Blogs•Spletnik.ru

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2800409.html

roseroyal 02-28-2015 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1754250)
Juggling: Kensington Palace retweeted https://pbs.twimg.com/profile_images...64_bigger.jpeg Chris Jackson ‏@ChrisJack_Getty 4h4 hours ago
The Duke of Cambridge demonstrated his juggling prowess in a ball pit in Koriyama this afternoon #RoyalVisitJP

Scads more photos - some great ones with children, today: Duke Of Cambridge Pictures & News Photos | Getty Images
Edit:
Also great photos in Kabuki dress.

Clearly, this is a man who loathes his job (not).

The pictures of Wills in the ball pit. :lol::lol:
You have one little girl who has firmly joined the ranks of " Prince William Fan for Life Club, a little boy trying to drag William in, and I can't tell you who's having more fun here- the kids or William. TBH, I don't see a Prince here- I see William, and I see a Daddy,and I love it! I see a ball pit in George's future.
Tea with the Emperor one day- playing with kids the next. YRH, you rock! That's what I would call having a ball, literally!
When do we get today's photos?

JessRulz 02-28-2015 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spheno (Post 1754275)

From the TRF FAQ:

Quote:

When royals make state or official visits to other monarchies, the thread is started in the forum for the host country, not the forum for the visiting country. The only state-visit threads in the visiting-country forums are those for visits to republics or for visits to multiple countries.
This is standard practice here at TRF - every other monarchy-to-monarchy visit, no matter how much time is spent with the hosts - is in the host monarchy forum.

If anyone wishes to discuss this further, please do so via PM with a member of the moderating team. Posts on the matter in thread will be removed.

JessRulz 03-01-2015 12:41 AM

Day Four in Japan, visiting Ishinomaki:

Lady Nimue 03-01-2015 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JessRulz (Post 1754474)
Day Four in Japan, visiting Ishinomaki:

Very pleasant pictures. :flowers: William is very comfortable to watch.

P.S. Did I mention triviality with the wife present? How about those balloons? :ermm:

AdmirerUS 03-01-2015 09:11 AM

Has anyone either read of or noticed in photos who the Duke took along as staff? Not a huge number, considering that I have not noticed. It was not mentioned in the original press release,either.

Edit - on further review - I think I see Miguel Head. But no one else. Anyone?

Dman 03-01-2015 09:32 AM

Videos:
Prince William has met survivors of the Asian Tsunami during a visit to Onagawa. The 32 year old royal, who is on day four of his tour of Japan, also rang the 'Chime of Hope' bell, which was recovered and restored after being washed away in the 2011 disaster-

Home - ITNSource News

Prince William has visited the offices of a local newspaper in Japan today, which resorted to printing hand-written newsletters in the aftermath of the 2011 tsunami-
Home - ITNSource News

Skippyboo 03-01-2015 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1754546)
Has anyone either read of or noticed in photos who the Duke took along as staff? Not a huge number, considering that I have not noticed. It was not mentioned in the original press release,either.

Edit - on further review - I think I see Miguel Head. But no one else. Anyone?

Miguel is definitely there. He was in the picture when William was dining with PM in the traditional dress. I haven't seen anyone else but we aren't getting that many videos of arrivals. That's when you normally see the staff. I would think that David Manning might be along. There has to be some press officers there too. I don't know what the new Press guy looks like but I haven't seen Nick Loughran.

Look at the uncut ITN videos for people getting out of cars and such. It was much easier for the Aus/NZ tour since there were so many plane arrivals and departures. For NYC, we got footage of everyone going into the hotel. Other than the Private Sec. everybody is pretty much hidden.

Rudolph 03-01-2015 10:42 AM

Feature: Prince William's jovial, yet caring manner endears him to Japanese public - Xinhua | English.news.cn
Quote:

TOKYO, March 1 (Xinhua) -- Britain's Prince William will conclude his visit to Japan on Sunday whose jovial, yet caring manner has hugely endeared him to the Japanese public and launched "William Fever" as the nation can see so many of his mother's charm points bestowed on her eldest son.

Prince William on Sunday visited an area of Japan devastated by the March 2011 earthquake-triggered tsunami that obliterated swathes of land, homes and buildings and ultimately washed away the lives of some 16,000 people across 20 coastal prefectures.

The prince met with survivors of the disaster in Miyagi Prefecture, having visited neighboring Fukushima Prefecture a day earlier to play with children in a charity run park, just a stone' s throw away from the Daiichi nuclear power plant, whose defenses were breached by the massive tsunami, leading to multiple meltdowns in its reactors and an ongoing nuclear crisis, the worst of its kind since Chernobyl in 1986.

William, who is second heir to the throne in Britain after Prince Charles, shared with a couple he met in Ishinomaki city -- one of the regions worst hit by the tsunami -- his deepest sympathy after hearing they had lost both of their children to the tsunami.

Al_bina 03-01-2015 11:11 AM

https://ru-royalty.livejournal.com/2803103.html

The above post contains photos of Prince William's tour of Japan (Day 4).

TLLK 03-01-2015 12:00 PM

The devastation and loss of life were heartbreaking.

Rudolph 03-01-2015 12:04 PM

Prince William visits area hit by 2011 tsunami in northern Japan | Daily Mail Online
Quote:

The Duke Cambridge was blessed with good luck this weekend after he submitted his head to the jaws of a Chinese-style lion on his tour of Japan.

Prince William was visiting a coastal area in the north of the country that was one of the areas worst hit by the 2011 tsunami.

The town of Onagawa was severely damaged on March 11 four years ago, when a huge 28ft wave swept across the land after it was triggered by an earthquake.

ladongas 03-01-2015 01:55 PM

Prince William Duke of Cambridge and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo... News Photo | Getty Images

Wonder why William is wearing only one (white) sock in this one?

Love how he manages to look both dignified and slightly sheepish in his ceremonial dress.

Blog Real 03-01-2015 02:03 PM

The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 4
Prince William Photos - The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 4 - Zimbio

Spheno 03-01-2015 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1754560)
Miguel is definitely there. He was in the picture when William was dining with PM in the traditional dress. I haven't seen anyone else but we aren't getting that many videos of arrivals. That's when you normally see the staff. I would think that David Manning might be along. There has to be some press officers there too. I don't know what the new Press guy looks like but I haven't seen Nick Loughran.

Duke's staff:
Prince William Photos - The Duke Of Cambridge Visits Japan - Day 3 - Zimbio

Skippyboo 03-01-2015 03:37 PM

In Pic 25, you can see David Manning behind the woman. The other guy in the dinner photo is the UK ambassador to Japan.

Dman 03-01-2015 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ladongas (Post 1754609)
Prince William Duke of Cambridge and Japanese Prime Minister Shinzo... News Photo | Getty Images

Wonder why William is wearing only one (white) sock in this one?

Love how he manages to look both dignified and slightly sheepish in his ceremonial dress.

He's not wearing any socks. It's just the flashing of the light reflecting on his left foot.

Duke of Marmalade 03-01-2015 04:18 PM

https://twitter.com/hendopolis/statu...03930180644864 :biggrin:

AdmirerUS 03-01-2015 04:20 PM

Thanks to all for the staff IDs. I would never have noticed that tiny bit of David Manning.

Skippyboo 03-01-2015 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duke of Marmalade (Post 1754652)

It's not like Kate being there would have stopped him from wearing those outfits. There would just have been more press coverage of him and her in wacky outfits.

Lady Nimue 03-01-2015 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1754663)
It's not like Kate being there would have stopped him from wearing those outfits. There would just have been more press coverage of him and her in wacky outfits.

So maybe we should be grateful Catherine couldn't make the trip. :tongue:

I don't 'get' the wacky outfits. Sorry. :sad:

hernameispekka 03-01-2015 05:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 1754664)

Isn't it rude calling it wacky outfits? It's traditional Japanese clothing. Seems a little rude to call it wacky...

Lady Nimue 03-01-2015 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1754666)
Isn't it rude calling it wacky outfits? It's traditional Japanese clothing. Seems a little rude to call it wacky...

Oh. :sad: I didn't think that was being referenced. I had made an oblique comment about the 'balloon headdress' and I thought that was being alluded to. Still may have been.

P.S. I just looked and I think I made the comment about the balloons on another thread.

Can't keep the threads straight. :huh:

However, I see the point both ways. I just looked at the link. It does look 'wacky'. Not sure why the hosts would have a visiting dignitary do that samurai thing over his suit. The male kimono clothing looked nice, but the samurai stuff did look wacky and I suspect the hosts meant it that way, too. After all, a sense of humor is a sense of humor. JMO. :flowers:

hernameispekka 03-01-2015 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 1754669)
Oh. :sad: I didn't think that was being referenced. I had made an oblique comment about the 'balloon headdress' and I thought that was being alluded to. Still may have been.

That is not him in it. It's a photographer that is in that balloon hat.....

Lady Nimue 03-01-2015 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hernameispekka (Post 1754671)
That is not him in it. It's a photographer that is in that balloon hat.....

Oh (again). ;)

See my response to the 'wacky' above. I could see the samurai stuff being meant to be funny. Yes, wacky. I don't think it's offensive, what was said. It's true, William looks ridiculous. It's meant to be a joke imo, and so what was being suggested was that there might be more of those jokes if Catherine were along. Calling it wacky was in the spirit of the joke. JMO.

Rudolph 03-01-2015 09:09 PM

Prince William finishes his Japanese tour in tsunami-devastated town Onagawa | Royal | News | Daily Express
Quote:

PRINCE WILLIAM was greeted by a lion dancer yesterday on the final day of his Japanese tour.

He gamely put his head into the jaws of the beast said to bring good luck as he met victims of the 2011 tsunami.

The dance display was put on in the north-eastern town of Onagawa, which was inundated by the devastating wall of water.

The Prince earlier heard the harrowing stories of survivors as he toured the coastal area where thousands died.

The tsunami, caused by an undersea earthquake, killed almost 19,000 Japanese and left many more homeless.

It also triggered a nuclear incident at Fukushima.

The Prince, 32, also visited the coastal city of Ishinomaki, which is still being rebuilt.

Duke of Marmalade 03-02-2015 02:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 1754664)

I think it's a habit dressing royals in national outfits on foreign trips. I think Charles is the King of such photo ops, there are tons of photos Charles wearing 'wacky' outfits, especially in Africa (no offence).