The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   King Albert II and Queen Paola (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f181/)
-   -   Discussion: Queen Paola (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f181/discussion-queen-paola-37483.html)

leidi 02-25-2017 01:58 AM

Mathilde's Dutch isn't poor tbh, she has a very strong French accent in all languages (hear her speaking English for example) but her language skills are pretty good, far better than Paola's ever were.

Also, you get the feeling that Mathilde has always understood that she needs to be Philippe's companion as Princess/Queen and has tried to help him as much as possible in his reign, not only in her official duties but also as his partner and equal in all things, they are both sensible people that adapt to the times to the best of their abilities, that's why they both have worked very hard in improving their Dutch/German skills (compare Philippe speaking at Baudouin's funeral and his speeches nowadays for example, there's a MASSIVE improvement) and to make their children fluent in those languages from an early age.

Duc_et_Pair 02-25-2017 03:59 AM

Princess Elisabeth will be the first Coburg on the throne with Dutch as dominant mother tongue. That was a very sensible move by Philippe and Mathilde to send their children to Dutch speaking schools, after all it is the language of almost 2/3 of the Belgians, of Belgium's powerhouse (Flanders) and of the area where the monarchy has the lowest approval. The eternal argument that the " francophone" royals eat from Flemish money but refuse to speak Dutch is definitely countered with that.

maria-olivia 02-25-2017 08:55 AM

She knows as well Dutch and French but we see on TV that they are speaking French to-gether.

Duc_et_Pair 02-25-2017 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1963970)
She knows as well Dutch and French but we see on TV that they are speaking French to-gether.

Yes, that was the purpose of Philippe and Mathilde: Dutch at school and French in the familial sphere. Princess Elisabeth even needed remedial teaching to improve her French in reading and writing because it logged behind...

Tatiana Maria 02-25-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1897217)
The majority of the Belgians is Dutch-speaking. Once the French-speaking part was the economic heartland of Belgium, with its coalmines, steelworks and other industries. Since decades the economic heartland is in the Dutchspeaking part, meaning that they not only outnumber the French-speaking Belgians but also by far outpower them in economics. That is difficult for the French-speaking haute société, which was used to rule Belgium and are now marginalized, depending on gigantic transfers of taxpayers' money from the Dutch-speaking part to the French-speaking part to keep it afloat.

Article (in Dutch): "Transfers: 185 years one-way-direction from Flanders to Wallonia". The headline alone is enough to understand the frustration of the Dutch-speaking part with their French-speaking compatriots.

Queen Paola's Dutch is very poor. King Philippe (raised in a primarily French-speaking family) and Queen Mathilde (raised in a French-speaking family) have understood the sign of the times. All their children go to Dutch-speaking schools. At home they speak French. Princess Elisabeth and her siblings are the first Belgian royals whom have Dutch, and not French, as primary language.

Princess Astrid's children attended Dutch-speaking schools also, and both families employed Flemish nannies.

TLLK 02-25-2017 12:12 PM

Does anyone know if Prince Laurent and Princess Claire's children have received a similar bilingual upbringing?

Duc_et_Pair 02-25-2017 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tatiana Maria (Post 1963980)
Princess Astrid's children attended Dutch-speaking schools also, and both families employed Flemish nannies.

That is true, but aside Amedeo for a while, they are an irrelevance for the Belgian monarchy of course. Elisabeth is the future Queen. That Philippe and Mathilde, both no Dutch-speakers by heart chose a Dutch school for her speak for their wisdom and understanding of realities in Belgium. As almost the only ones they keep the monarchy afloat in this often disfunctional family and state.

leidi 02-25-2017 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1963994)
That is true, but aside Amedeo for a while, they are an irrelevance for the Belgian monarchy of course. Elisabeth is the future Queen. That Philippe and Mathilde, both no Dutch-speakers by heart chose a Dutch school for her speak for their wisdom and understanding of realities in Belgium. As almost the only ones they keep the monarchy afloat in this often disfunctional family and state.

Sometimes I feel sorry for them, they try so hard and everyone else in the family boycott their efforts :bang:

Mbruno 02-25-2017 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by leidi (Post 1963998)
Sometimes I feel sorry for them, they try so hard and everyone else in the family boycott their efforts :bang:

That is really an unfair assessment. Princess Astrid is actually a very hardworking royal and has taken over her brother's role as honorary chairman of the board of the Foreign Trade Agency with great success. As for King Albert and Queen Paola, they have stepped aside since the abdication (not least because their health no longer allows them to take official duties anyway) and have allowed Philippe and Mathilde to run the Royal House wihout any kind of "boycott" or opposition.

In fact, even Prince Laurent, who is often also unfairly villified on these forums and elsewhere, actually undertakes dozens of official engagements every year on behalf of his brother.

leidi 02-25-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1964000)
That is really an unfair assessment. Princess Astrid is actually a very hardworking royal and has taken over her brother's role as honorary chairman of the board of the Foreign Trade Agency with great success. As for King Albert and Queen Paola, they have stepped aside since the abdication (not least because their health no longer allows them to take official duties anyway) and have allowed Philippe and Mathilde to run the Royal House wihout any kind of "boycott" or opposition.

In fact, even Prince Laurent, who is often also unfairly villified on these forums and elsewhere, actually undertakes dozens of official engagements every year on behalf of his brother.

What about the unauthorized interviews? The tantrums about donations? The fact that you see them pouting or behaving badly during the acts they go to (yes, including Astrid, see the Christmas Concert for example, even if she's the one most supportive of all the family), if they even deem it worthy to show up?

Why do you think the Belgian government gave Laurent an ultimatum? it wasn't for good behavior.

maria-olivia 02-25-2017 01:42 PM

This has nothing to do with Queen Paola !
Should be : Languages spoken by the Belgian Royals.

Tatiana Maria 02-27-2017 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1963991)
Does anyone know if Prince Laurent and Princess Claire's children have received a similar bilingual upbringing?

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1732107
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ml#post1731361

maria-olivia 02-27-2017 06:52 PM

They are at the expensive Lycée Français. They are speaking French and English. (Princess Louise at Queen Fabiola''s Funeral.)
They don't speak Dutch !

Duc_et_Pair 02-27-2017 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1964413)
They are at the expensive Lycée Français. They are speaking French and English. (Princess Louise at Queen Fabiola''s Funeral.)
They don't speak Dutch !

Prince Laurent really has no clue... Luckily he is way down in the line of succession. In a royal family of a bilingual country not even organizing that their children learn the language of the majority as a secondary language... Nothing amazes me anymore.

maria-olivia 02-28-2017 09:36 AM

Coming back to Queen Paola.
The Queen slept and fell twice in two months. She is nearly 80 years old and suffers from osteoporose.
I really hope She will recover for the best .
Very bad Moments for our former Monarchs.
Queen Paola is still My Queen !


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:23 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2020
Jelsoft Enterprises