- - Falkland Palace
||04-12-2014 09:28 PM
Falkland Palace is in Falkland, Fife, Scotland.
Falkland Palace began as a castle built by the Macduffs, earls of Fife.
King James II of Scotland extended the castle. He frequently visited it to hunt deer and wild boar.
After 1458, when James II granted a charter, the castle was known as Falkland Palace.
||04-12-2014 09:33 PM
The Falkland Palace of King James IV of Scotland was laid out around a courtyard,
There was a Great Hall on the north side.
On the east side were the royal apartments.
A chapel and vestry were on the south side.
King James V of Scotland, in 1537 to 1541, remodeled Falkland Palace to create Scotland's first palace in the continental Renaissance style.
James V had a gatehouse added at the west end of the palace.
This was designed to function as a new entrance.
Queen Mary of Scotland, the daughter of King James V, frequently visited Falkland Palace after her return to Scotland from France in 1561.
The grounds of Falkland Palace include gardens designed by Percy Cane. :thistle::thistle::thistle:
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:51 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014