||03-10-2014 08:56 PM
For almost 700 years the Castle and then the Palace of Coudenberg were the seat of government of the counts, dukes, archdukes, kings, emperors, and governors who from the 11th century until its destruction in 1731 exerted their sovereignty over the area of the Duchy of Brabant.
With the second enclosure of the city of Coudenburg, following the occupation by Louis II of Flanders in 1356, the castle was gradually converted from a military stronghold into a residential palace.
Philip the Good (Philip III, the Duke of Burgundy), 1396-1467, built new wings for the palace.
He built the Aula Magna. The Aula Magna was a gigantic room for royal receptions.
It was in the Aula Magna that the Holy Roman Emperor Charles V abdicated in 1555 in favor of his son. His son was Philip II of Spain.
||04-05-2014 09:33 PM
Cdm, Thank you for the nice information.
The remains of Coudenberg Palace are historically noteworthy. :belgiumstandard:
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:02 PM.
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017