The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Danish Royal Residences (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f231/)
-   -   Christiansborg Palace, Copenhagen (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f231/christiansborg-palace-copenhagen-36479.html)

paulette 08-23-2003 04:15 PM

Christiansborg Palace, Copenhagen
 
2 Attachment(s)
8. Christiansborg Palace - Parliementary building

9. Christiansborg Palace

paulette 09-23-2003 12:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Christiansborg Palace

Christiansborg Palace on Slotsholmen in Copenhagen was built for the country's three supreme powers: the royal power, the legislative power, and the judicial power. The premises of the Royal Family, mainly The Royal Reception Rooms, make up only a small part of the palace complex. The Danish Parliament has the majority of the palace's rooms at its disposal, while the Prime Minister's Office and the Supreme Court are also found within the palace. Besides the Reception Rooms in the palace's north wing, the Chapel and the bulk of the Riding Ground Complex are available to the Royal Family.

As a result of two serious fires in 1794 and 1884, the palace complex bears testimony to three eras of Danish architecture. The main palace from 1928 in the historicist Neo-baroque style is the third Christiansborg on the site, the Chapel is from the second, neoclassical Christiansborg from the 1800s, and the Showgrounds survive from the first, luxurious baroque palace of the 1700s. In the Riding Ground Complex, you can visit the Theatre Museum and The Royal Stables.

Beneath Christiansborg visitors can see the ruins of two even older buildings on the site, namely Absalon's Castle and Copenhagen Castle.

Immediately adjacent to Christiansborg Castle are The Royal Library Gardens.

Muhler 01-16-2012 05:49 PM

Christiansborg Slot
 
Here is a Google view of Christiansborg Slot:

Christiansborg Slot - Kopi.JPG - File Shared from Box - Free Online File Storage

Apart from being the seat of the Parliament, it also where grand galas are held, where the Regent hold audience and it is also where the royal stables are located.

This is what Wikipedia has to tell us: Christiansborg Palace - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

- If anyone should feel like adding pictures or additional information, please do so.

crown 02-15-2014 06:31 PM

Christiansborg Palace
 
Christiansborg Palace is situated on the small island Slotsholmen in the inner harbour of Copenhagen. For more than 800 years Slotholmen has been the site of buildings connected to the DRF. Immediately after his accession to the throne Christian VI had the medieval Copenhagen Palace torn down. Including the infamous tower Blåtårn (the Blue Tower) where Leonora Christine the daughter of Christian IV was once imprisoned for 22 years charged with high treason. By all accounts the old Copenhagen Castle was a dismal place. After raising it to the ground Christian VI had the first Christiansborg Palace built. It was finished in 1745 but unfortunately it burned in 1794. The second Christiansborg was finished in 1828 during the reign of Frederik VI. In 1884 this palace also burned. In 1907 Frederik VIII laid the foundation stone for the third Christiansborg and 1928 his son Christian X inaugurated the palace we know today.
The Main Palace: SLKE
The palace is not a residence but a part of the palace houses the Royal Reception Rooms where QMII hosts her annual New Year Levee, gala banquets and ambassadorial audiences. In 1990 on the occasion of QMII's 50th birthday the Danish business community presented her with new tapestries for the Great Hall of the Christiansborg Palace. The tapestries depicts a 1000 years of Denmark's history. The artist responsible is Bjoern Noergaard (he is also the artist chosen by QMII to design the sarcophagi for herself and the prince consort – they will be made of glass!! and I'll be happy to write a little bit about them should you be interested). The tapestries were handwoven in Paris. The process was time consuming and only in 2000 they were ready to be unveiled.
Bjørn Nørgaard?s tapestries - The Danish Monarchy
The palace is also the home of the Danish parliament (Folketinget). The prime minister has his/her office at Christiansborg.
In another part of the palace the Royal Stables are found. There is also an adjacent riding ground where the Queen's white Kladruber horses are exercised daily.

The palace also has chapel which is used by the royal family for baptisms, confirmations and sometimes weddings. In 2006 Prince Christian was baptised here.
It is also a tradition that Danish kings and queens lie in state (in Danish the term 'castrum doloris' the bed of pain/grief is used) be the coffin is escorted to it's final resting place in Roskilde Cathedral. Most recent Queen Ingrid lay in state in the Christiansborg Palace Chapel. QI was known as a lady with impeccable taste and she left her mark on the interiors of the royal palaces. Her daughters rooms had individual colour schemes. To honour their mother they had adorned her coffin with 3 reefs in the colours of their rooms at Amalienborg Palace; the blue reef from QMII, the red reef from Princess Benedikte and the yellow reef from QAM.

polyesco 02-15-2014 10:17 PM

:previous:thank you for the info, and welcome to the forum :flowers:

the palace looks nice

Lady Rosie 02-16-2014 02:06 AM

Thank you crown and welcome. I found your post most informative and as I'm an outsider, great background for other Danish traditions and events. :smile:

crown 02-16-2014 04:57 AM

Thank you Polyesco and Lady Rosie
I'm happy that you liked it. I will continue with more information about Danish castles connected to the DRF

Tarlita 02-16-2014 07:35 AM

Hello Crown, you have gone to a lot of trouble and effort to post this information and many members will benefit from it. Many Thanks, from a member in Australia.

FasterB 02-16-2014 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crown (Post 1641429)
Her daughters rooms had individual colour schemes. To honour their mother they had adorned her coffin with 3 reefs in the colours of their rooms at Amalienborg Palace; the blue reef from QMII, the red reef from Princess Benedikte and the yellow reef from QAM.

Not only the rooms, but QI also dressed her three daugthers according to this colour scheme :)

crown 02-16-2014 08:21 AM

Tarlita, you are most welcome :-)

FasterB, I had no idea they were dressed to match their rooms. For some that might be considered a bit over the top. But QI's taste and sence of style really was impeccable. I wonder what her initial reaction was to cluttered old fashioned palaces when she came to Denmark. I heard that one of the reason she and Frederik IX never really felt at home at Marselisborg. Maybe she could not be bothered introducing style and elegance to yet another royal dwelling :-)

crown 02-16-2014 03:57 PM

I quite forgot to mention that a renovation of Christiansborg's tower is currently taking place. The plan is to open a restaurant with a lofty view of Copenhagen. The restaurant is scheduled to open May 1st 2014.

CyrilVladisla 04-07-2014 08:41 PM

King Frederik VII was the last Oldenburg King and the first constitutional monarch who resided at the second Christiansborg Palace.

Sun Lion 12-04-2014 10:59 PM

8 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by crown (Post 1641632)
I quite forgot to mention that a renovation of Christiansborg's tower is currently taking place. The plan is to open a restaurant with a lofty view of Copenhagen. The restaurant is scheduled to open May 1st 2014.


Here are some of the photos I took from this very tower - which is free of charge and has 360degree views, which allows you to get your bearings in Copenhagen.

You have to take two, (or maybe it was three), lifts and then walk up the staircase.

Wonderful fresh breezes the day I went - open to the elements with just railings to keep you in.

(Very good WC facilities too - and again free of charge.)

Lady Nimue 12-04-2014 11:05 PM

:previous: How is it that I always show up when you are about to post some photos, Sun Lion! :tongue: Truly coincidental! :biggrin:

But I'm happy it happens. Waiting for your photos. P.S. There they are!

Sun Lion 12-04-2014 11:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Nimue (Post 1726146)
:previous: How is it that I always show up when you are about to post some photos, Sun Lion! :tongue: Truly coincidental! :biggrin:

But I'm happy it happens. Waiting for your photos. P.S. There they are!



That's funny Lady Nimue - we must be on the same wavelength or something!

The last photo is of the actual tower, and you can see a few figures peeping over the rails - probably taking photos of me below near the riding arena. :lol:

Some photos are zoomed in, and so you can see people flying about on one of the rides at the Tivoli.

Also, I think one of the churches is where the twins were christened and another is where F and M were married.

In the far background of another, you can see the ship I was on.

The ship is actually berthed alongside the apartment block where M lived before the wedding.

I remember taking quite a few photos of CP Mary's former home from the deck - I'll post some if I can find a thread for them.

(I remember some very modern sculpture in the area - not sure if I photographed that though - I'm more for classic. But a very cheerful place to be when a ship is in - a lot of locals walked ,and biked, up and down looking at us - as we looked at them.)

Lady Nimue 12-06-2014 01:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1726151)
That's funny Lady Nimue - we must be on the same wavelength or something!

Spooky! :tongue:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1726151)
The last photo is of the actual tower, and you can see a few figures peeping over the rails - probably taking photos of me below near the riding arena. :lol:

Some photos are zoomed in, and so you can see people flying about on one of the rides at the Tivoli.

Also, I think one of the churches is where the twins were christened and another is where F and M were married.

In the far background of another, you can see the ship I was on.

The ship is actually berthed alongside the apartment block where M lived before the wedding.

I remember taking quite a few photos of CP Mary's former home from the deck - I'll post some if I can find a thread for them.

(I remember some very modern sculpture in the area - not sure if I photographed that though - I'm more for classic. But a very cheerful place to be when a ship is in - a lot of locals walked ,and biked, up and down looking at us - as we looked at them.)

Thank you for the personal story, Sun Lion. :flowers:

Stefan 12-06-2014 02:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sun Lion (Post 1726151)

Also, I think one of the churches is where the twins were christened and another is where F and M were married.


The Church on the pic 3 is Vor Frue Kirke where the Wedding took place in 2004 and in pic 6 is Holmes Kirke which is opposide of Christiansborg Palace. In it Queen Margrethe and Prine henrik married in 1964 and the the twins where christened there in 2011.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:51 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises