The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Other Reigning Houses (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f70/)
-   -   Kingdom of Cambodia (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f70/kingdom-of-cambodia-3607.html)

Dennism 02-20-2004 03:01 PM

Kingdom of Cambodia

BBC

Cambodian king backs gay marriage

Cambodia's King Norodom Sihanouk has shown that advancing years are no barrier to an open mind and liberal attitude.

After watching television images of gay marriages in San Francisco, the 81-year-old monarch has decided that single sex weddings should be allowed in Cambodia too.

He expressed his views in a hand written message on his website which has proved extremely popular in Cambodia.

The king said that as a "liberal democracy", Cambodia should allow "marriage between man and man... or between woman and woman."

He said he had respect for homosexual and lesbians and said they were as they were because God loved a "wide range of tastes."

Sihanouk, who is currently in Beijing for medical treatment, also said that transvestites should be "accepted and well-treated in our national community."

Such views are not widespread in Cambodia, but the king is hugely revered, although he is a constitutional monarch and has no executive powers.

San Francisco has issued more than 2,800 marriage licences to gay couples in the past week amid a growing debate in the US over whether such unions should be allowed

Alisa 02-20-2004 06:44 PM

Good on his behalf :flower:

H.M. Margrethe 02-20-2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alisa@Feb 20th, 2004 - 5:44 pm
I am willing to give him a hi5 on his behaf.
Lets se when the next president of USA are going to haf the same opinion ?
And lets hope it is going to be a Democrat this time and NEVER
Bush Jr. :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :yuk: :doh: :doh: :doh: :yuk: :yuk:

Sean.~ 02-20-2004 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by Alisa@Feb 20th, 2004 - 5:44 pm
Interesting. If legalized, it will, no doubt, do wonders for Cambodia's tourism industry which is already taking off.

As great as this is, I wish now, however, that he would speak out (more vocually) against some of the more substantive problems facing the country, such as the child sex trade and the tourism industry evolving around that.

*Elle* 02-20-2004 07:12 PM

"And lets hope it is going to be a Democrat this time and NEVER
Bush Jr." H.M. Margrethe

I completely agree with you H.M. Margrethe about Bush. I think that Kerry will be the next president. In the Bible it says that a marriage should be between a man and a women. Most every person I know thinks that and I do not truly like the homosexual way of life, but I do think that gay people should be given the right to be married like every other person though.
Elle

Alisa 02-20-2004 10:52 PM

Quote:

Most every person I know thinks that and I do not truly like the homosexual way of life, but I do think that gay people should be given the right to be married like every other person though.

I share those exact views :flower:

It is great that the king has spoken out in support of gay marriage :flower:

MoonlightRhapsody 02-21-2004 06:54 PM

What's wrong with Bush is that he's bluring the division between Church and State. He's including his own Judeo-Christian beliefs into law when there is supposed to be a separation between them. It is discrimination, in my opinion. He's discriminating against people due to their sexual orientation. He's saying that a man and a woman who don't love and respect each other should marry and their union be given full protection and benefits over a same-sex couple who have what it takes to be together and stick it out till death do they part. Gee, I think Bush flunked that part in college in American Government about all men and women are created equal therefore should be given full rights and protections under the law. That's what disgusts me about this president. It's okay to push his views on other people and manipulate the law to suit his beliefs.

More power to the King of Cambodia! A man of the modern era!

*Elle* 02-21-2004 08:15 PM

The Christian Coalition does not want gay people to be able to marry. The Christian Coalition represents the average middle class family. President Bush needs those votes for this upcoming election. The Christian Coalition thinks that a marriage should be between a man and women because that is what it says in the Bible. The problem I have with the Christian Coalition is that they support war. One of the Ten Commandments states that we should not kill people. Famous preachers pray that the officials in Iraq are caught. Why do they not pray that these people change their actions?
Elle

Dennism 02-21-2004 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally posted by *Elle*@Feb 21st, 2004 - 7:15 pm
The Christian Coalition does not want gay people to be able to marry. The Christian Coalition represents the average middle class family. President Bush needs those votes for this upcoming election. The Christian Coalition thinks that a marriage should be between a man and women because that is what it says in the Bible. The problem I have with the Christian Coalition is that they support war. One of the Ten Commandments states that we should not kill people. Famous preachers pray that the officials in Iraq are caught. Why do they not pray that these people change their actions?
Elle

Yes, there's plenty of hypocrisy in the Christian Coalition. Supporting war is one of them. Also what the religious folk forget is that some denominations use religion to support gay marriages as well. Same texts, different readings, I guess.

timtonruben359 02-22-2004 12:48 AM

Same sex marriage is a hot button her in Canada as well. I think people have a hard time in secular society that church issues are or at least should be seperate from the affairs of state.

I personally believe that everyone should have equal rights under the law.

moby 02-22-2004 04:00 AM

:clap: good news! unconventional king! nice, nice.

STOP DISCRIMINATION!

cutie 09-15-2004 07:55 PM

Cambodian Royalty

Please share any pictures and current new of the Norodom royal family in Cambodia.

cutie 09-15-2004 10:15 PM

i guess no one is interested in the royalty of asia, but only of europe.

Sean.~ 10-07-2004 03:20 AM

King of Cambodia has Abbdicated

Those who follow Asian politics and/or royalty know that he often threatens it (for a myriad of reasons that I won't get into now), but it has just been announced in Phnom Penh, Cambodia that the country's king, Norodom Sihanouk, actually abdicated Thursday because of poor health and asked the people of Cambodia to begin a search for a successor (from within the RF). This was announced by Prince Rarindranth, who is the head of the National Assembly.

More to come later (I'm sure).

galuhcandrakirana 10-07-2004 10:00 AM

The news about Cambodian King Sihanouk has abdicated
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp..._king_sihanouk

galuhcandrakirana 10-08-2004 09:37 AM

This is what people felt about the king abdicated:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/default.stm

Cambodia's King Sihanouk has announced he is going to abdicate, after ruling the country, on and off, for more than 60 years. BBC News Online asked residents of Cambodia's capital, Phnom Penh, how they felt about the news.

Sokaa, bar worker, 19
I'm not sure what will happen if he goes, but I would be very worried. He's the father of the nation in Cambodia. When he stays here, the nation is happy and at peace. I want him to be in good health and to come back soon.

Sopaea, 25, restaurant worker
When the French controlled Cambodia, everyone liked the king because he dismissed the French from Cambodia. But some people don't like him because he could not stop the Khmer Rouge.
We need the king to control the law in Cambodia. Sometimes all the parties in Cambodia are in conflict, and if we have a king, he can control the situation.

Kek Galabru, rights activist
The situation is very tense. There are a lot of threats to the opposition parties, so people are very worried, people are scared. They really want the king to come back because they think that then most of the tension will go away. The Cambodian people don't want to see a new king right now. They want to see King Sihanouk, because they love him.

Pana, 34, hotel worker
The king would have liked to have done this many times before. But most Cambodian people will really regret that the king is giving up his power. The Cambodian people and the political leaders cannot solve their problems without the king. Most of Cambodian people over 40 like the king very much because he organised the country very well.

Mom, shop worker, 24
The king is very lovely to the people in Cambodia. He's a good man and the queen is a good lady also. They take care of all the people in Phnom Penh and worry and care about all the people of Cambodia. They're like the father and mother of the people. I don't want him to stop - I think he will continue as the king.

Kevin, 34
It's a bad situation at the moment. You know, in my country, to have no king is not so good.
In 1970 there was no king and there was a war. If he quits, I don't think there will be another king to replace him.

julial 10-08-2004 11:17 AM

I guess time to move to the new generation so the King can relax and retire...

galuhcandrakirana 10-11-2004 03:29 AM

Yeah I agree with you about it. He is old now and unfortunately he has a health problem....but as I read from some news that his country & people still really need him to keep the country stabilization as he has big charismatic and he is a respected King for his people. People is just worry if the next king does not have this ability then will rise a destabilized (again) in this young democratic kingdom. Hope Cambodian will find a good future king (who has equal or plus abilities to HM King Norodom Sihanouk) soon.

galuhcandrakirana 10-11-2004 07:41 AM

Please let me retire, asks king of Cambodia
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2004/10/08/wcam08.xml&sSheet=/news/2004/10/08/ixworld.html

Prince Sihamoni, a trained dancer, may become the next king
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3726234.stm

Lyle 10-12-2004 04:18 PM

Here are some more articles on the current situation in Cambodia and the kind of succesion crisis they are having:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/asia-pacific/3727428.stm

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/asi...ic/3732520.stm

Here is a link to the king's website, which has personal information, as well as the personal notes he has become famous for writing (sadly for us English-speakers, in French...):

http://www.norodomsihanouk.info/