The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Philip - I Don't Want A State Funeral! (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/philip-i-dont-want-a-state-funeral-36023.html)

angieuk 11-10-2013 09:53 AM

Philip - I Don't Want A State Funeral!

I don't want the 'fuss' of a full state funeral, 92-year-old Prince Philip tells his officials | Mail Online

MarNoe 11-10-2013 10:12 AM

But he certainly deserves one.

lucien 11-10-2013 10:16 AM

Oh,Mail on line and now it's true innit!!??
Really...speculating lot they are.:whistling:

Hendrik-Jan77 11-10-2013 11:22 AM

I hope it will still be a long way off, but when Prince Phillip dies, it will be a huge occasion.
I think a large part of the UK public will want to pay tribute to the Prince and his life long service to his country.
So I do predict a lying in state and a funeral service in Westminster Abbey with royalty from all over the world attending.
But I wish he will be around to see Prince Harry getting married in the next few years.:flowers:

Molly2101 11-10-2013 11:47 AM

I think if he wants to be in St James Chapel then his wish will be fulfilled, but I do hope he has a public funeral for the those who want to say goodbye to him. I also would like to see his son's and Anne stand by his coffin as they did with the Queen Mother, although Viscount Linley stood guard, not Anne. I know it's probably not "right" for a woman to do it but she is his daughter.

It would also be nice if his grandsons stood guard as well, but I would think James will be too young, unless it is in another 10 years.

Stefan 11-10-2013 11:49 AM

And they are wrong anyway as the Queen Mothers funeral was not a State funeral but a Royal ceremonial Funeral. The difference is that at a State funeral the coffin is carried by Marine Soldiers and drawn by horses.

Skippyboo 11-10-2013 01:28 PM

Not Marines in a state funeral but Royal Navy sailors. It goes back to Queen Victoria's funeral. The horses got spooked and the sailors had to jump in and pull the coffin.

Moonmaiden23 11-10-2013 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hendrik-Jan77 (Post 1616671)
I hope it will still be a long way off, but when Prince Phillip dies, it will be a huge occasion.
I think a large part of the UK public will want to pay tribute to the Prince and his life long service to his country.
So I do predict a lying in state and a funeral service in Westminster Abbey with royalty from all over the world attending.
But I wish he will be around to see Prince Harry getting married in the next few years.:flowers:

DITTO. On every point.;)

Iluvbertie 11-10-2013 03:36 PM

This isn't new news - it has been around for at least 20 years and as it seems to be his wish I hope he gets it.

BrazilianEmpire 11-10-2013 03:39 PM

I hope The Duke of Edinburgh will be around to receive a telegram from his wife on June 10, 2021, and to celebrate her Platinum Jubilee the following year.

Long Live The Queen and The Duke of Edinburgh!

Dman 11-10-2013 03:50 PM

I continue to wish Prince Philip good health but I'm not sure that he'll be around for the next Jubilee. I'm not sure The Queen will make it for that and I'm not even sure I'll be here for the next Jubilee. It's about taking things one day at a time.

LauraS3514 11-10-2013 09:00 PM

As the longest-ever consort HRH should get the full royal ceremonial funeral. Although he's reportedly not over-fond of "fuss" I'm sure he's also aware of the duty royals owe to their subjects and realizes that the royal funeral is what he'll get. Besides, funerals are for the living to remember and say "good-bye" to the person who's died.

cepe 11-10-2013 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraS3514 (Post 1616905)
As the longest-ever consort HRH should get the full royal ceremonial funeral. Although he's reportedly not over-fond of "fuss" I'm sure he's also aware of the duty royals owe to their subjects and realizes that the royal funeral is what he'll get. Besides, funerals are for the living to remember and say "good-bye" to the person who's died.

I think he should get what he wants. It will a funeral which is the same as the QEQMs - ceremonial.

Have to say, he looked quite frail today.

Duchess of Durham 11-10-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1616772)
I continue to wish Prince Philip good health but I'm not sure that he'll be around for the next Jubilee. I'm not sure The Queen will make it for that and I'm not even sure I'll be here for the next Jubilee. It's about taking things one day at a time.

I suspect if Philip passes first, HM will pass within a few years. I don't wish for them to pass anytime soon.

Iluvbertie 11-10-2013 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraS3514 (Post 1616905)

Why should his family have to suffer the torment of a public parade while grieving for him when they know that he didn't want that at all?

Far from showing respects to the man that would be showing total disrespect for his wishes and for his family.

Roslyn 11-10-2013 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1616915)
Why should his family have to suffer the torment of a public parade while grieving for him when they know that he didn't want that at all?

Far from showing respects to the man that would be showing total disrespect for his wishes and for his family.

I wholeheartedly agree. He has done his duty, and deserves to have his wishes in this regard respected.

Jacknch 11-11-2013 05:01 AM

Philip (as most people should do) will hopefully have set out his wishes in his Will and made his intentions clear so there is no doubt as to what his eventual funeral will be like.

I note from the DM article that HRH was in "high spirits" again, whatever that means.

LauraS3514 11-11-2013 03:30 PM

I guessed I phrased my prior comment poorly. What I am trying to say, I think, is that I'm sure HRH realizes that regardless of what he personally may want as The Queen's Consort a formal royal ceremonial funeral is in the category of a royal duty - and he's always done his duty. :flowers:

Osipi 11-11-2013 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LauraS3514 (Post 1617084)
I guessed I phrased my prior comment poorly. What I am trying to say, I think, is that I'm sure HRH realizes that regardless of what he personally may want as The Queen's Consort a formal royal ceremonial funeral is in the category of a royal duty - and he's always done his duty. :flowers:

I am sure he does realize that but in his classic "no fuss or bother" way, I can understand him wanting the time to be as simple as it can be. I don't think that he's solely thinking of himself in this regards but also of his wife, love and companion for so long. If and when Philip does pass on, we have to believe that it'll be HM that will be having the hardest time trying to cope. In that regards, I really wish that royal funerals were more of a private affair for family only.

cepe 11-11-2013 03:50 PM

This is so silly as this is a very old story. All senior royals have plans in place in the event of their death and the funeral. News channels also have the plans. Prince Philip's is coded as"Forth Bridge"

What makes this a really silly story from the Daily Mail is that they published the same information in 2008 (better written IMO)

Philip refuses a state funeral at Westminster Abbey - despite the Queen's wishes | Mail Online