The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal House of Sweden (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/)
-   -   Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f22/swedish-state-visits-general-discussion-and-suggestions-and-musings-35971.html)

Kingen 10-27-2013 09:06 AM

Swedish State Visits: General Discussion and Suggestions & Musings
 
I think that we could have a discussion about Swedish State Visits, and what visits do we want to see in the future?

Kingen 10-27-2013 09:11 AM

The King and Queen have made and received many State Visits during the King's 40 years reign. Here is an almost complete list (only the Portugese visit is missing) of incoming and outgoing visits:

State Visits - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Kingen 10-27-2013 09:41 AM

I know we don't have anything to do with the decisions of a State Visit, but the could wish! Which countries do you want to see incoming and outgoing State Visits to?

I would love to see a State Visit from Denmark next year. This should be the return visit from The King, Queen and Crown Princess visit to Denmark in 2007. For this visit should the Danish Crown Prince Couple participate too.

Next year are Sweden and the Netherlands celebrating 400 years of diplomatic relations , this together with the new King and Queen would be two good reasons for either an incoming or outgoing State Visit. But it is more likely to be an Official Visit if we see any at all.

For outgoing State Visits it would be great to see Finland or Germany. A return visit to Finland usually takes place two to three years after the visit to Sweden (in 2012 last time). And the latest visit to or from Germany was the visit from President Rau to Sweden in 2003. The best thing is that the Crown Princess Couple could join the King and Queen on both of these visits.

Josefine 10-27-2013 10:22 AM

I would like to see victoria and Daniel take part in state visits abroad

Hans-Rickard 10-27-2013 12:24 PM

I'd like to see King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia pay a state visit to Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip :) The last swedish state visit to UK was in 1975.

Kingen 10-27-2013 03:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hans-Rickard (Post 1612805)
I'd like to see King Carl XVI Gustaf and Queen Silvia pay a state visit to Queen Elizabeth II and Prince Philip :) The last swedish state visit to UK was in 1975.

Yes would be really nice to see and other monarchs have made a second visit to Queen Elizabeth. :)

Kingen 12-14-2013 04:35 PM

So fare for next year one State Visit has been announced. The King and Queen will pay a State Visit to Latvia between March 26-27.

Press release from the Royal Court:
State Visit to Latvia - Sveriges Kungahus [NS4 version]

Kingen 07-02-2014 11:32 AM

It seems like there is no incoming State Visit this year. There will be an outgoing state visit to a still unknown country, December 2-4 by Their Majesties.

http://www.kungahuset.se/download/18...6sten+2014.pdf

LadyFinn 07-02-2014 03:40 PM

The king and queen will probably come to Finland in 2015 if you look the history of state visits between Finland and Sweden. On the other hand, they have almost always been in Finland in August, so maybe they want to come in the winter...

Kingen 07-03-2014 12:18 AM

Yes we can certainly look forward to a state visit to Finland very soon. I was thinking if they are waiting until the President's Palace is in use again after the renovations.

LadyFinn 07-03-2014 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingen (Post 1683069)
Yes we can certainly look forward to a state visit to Finland very soon. I was thinking if they are waiting until the President's Palace is in use again after the renovations.

According to the President's website, the renovation of the Presidential Palace will be ready for the Independence day of Finland, 6th December 2014.

Kingen 09-22-2014 09:29 AM

I think that we will get to know the outcoming state visit in December as quick as the new government has taken office. So I guess we know in the middle of October.

Mbruno 09-22-2014 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kingen (Post 1705025)
I think that we will get to know the outcoming state visit in December as quick as the new government has taken office. So I guess we know in the middle of October.

I don't follow Swedish politics very closely, but, from what I read on the web, the Centre Party and the Liberal People's Party have ruled out a coalition with the Social Democrats. The Social Democrats in turn have ruled out a coalition with the Left (formerly Communist) Party. The only remaining option then is a minority government consisting of the Social Democrats and the Greens, who would have however only 138 out of 349 seats in the Riksdag (i.e less than 40 % of the total number of seats).

If that is the case, how likely is it that there will be a majority of votes in the Riksdag to confirm the nomination of the new PM as required by the Swedish constitution ? As I understand it, if the new government is rejected by a majority of members of the Riksdag in 4 successive votes, new elections have to be called. Moreover, even if a new government is confirmed and sworn in, how likely is it that it will survive 4 years ? With such a small plurality in parliament, I would expect a vote of no confidence in the government to be carried soon.

Kingen 09-22-2014 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1705147)
I don't follow Swedish politics very closely, but, from what I read on the web, the Centre Party and the Liberal People's Party have ruled out a coalition with the Social Democrats. The Social Democrats in turn have ruled out a coalition with the Left (formerly Communist) Party. The only remaining option then is a minority government consisting of the Social Democrats and the Greens, who would have however only 138 out of 349 seats in the Riksdag (i.e less than 40 % of the total number of seats).

If that is the case, how likely is it that there will be a majority of votes in the Riksdag to confirm the nomination of the new PM as required by the Swedish constitution ? As I understand it, if the new government is rejected by a majority of members of the Riksdag in 4 successive votes, new elections have to be called. Moreover, even if a new government is confirmed and sworn in, how likely is it that it will survive 4 years ? With such a small plurality in parliament, I would expect a vote of no confidence in the government to be carried soon.

It seems to me that you follow it closely. As you say there is complicated parliamentary situation in Sweden, and it seems hard to get a majority in Riksdagen for the government.

On the other hand there so should be no or little problem for Stefan Löfven (the Social Democratic leader) to be elected PM. The election is made with negative majority in Riksdagen. So if less than 175 MPs votes against Löfven he is elected. The former government parties are supposed to lay down their votes which will make a majority in Riksdagen. I don't know if even i have got it correctly, or translated it correct. You are right that it will be challenging years for the government an very uncertain if they survive for the whole period of four years.

If we get in a situation with no government, that also most probably means that we will not see any state visits. In the short time, I hope that the new government take office in a couple of weeks so the December state visit not will be postponed or cancelled.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:59 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises