The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Diana's Jewels for Catherine (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/dianas-jewels-for-catherine-35926.html)

angieuk 10-12-2013 02:02 PM

Diana's Jewels for Catherine

What has happened to Diana's wish that her jewellery be passed on for her sons' wives?

Has the Queen been given all the jewellery instead?

I gather Catherine has not worn a tiara yet?

Lumutqueen 10-12-2013 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by angieuk (Post 1608564)
What has happened to Diana's wish that her jewellery be passed on for her sons' wives? Has the Queen been given all the jewellery instead? I gather Catherine has not worn a tiara yet?

Frank answer is we don't know. Catherine has not worn a tiara, she has not attended an event that required it. Whether she's been Diana's jewels and chose not to wear them, seems like the most likely option.

Skippyboo 10-12-2013 02:40 PM

I believe that Kate has wore some sapphire earrings of Diana's. They were redone as drop earrings. Kate is usually very minimalist with the jewelry. It usually just earrings, bracelet and some times a necklace.

There is a state visit in Nov for the South Korean President so maybe the Cambridges will attend now that William is out of the RAF. That would be where the bling would come out.

angieuk 10-13-2013 03:36 AM

Someone in another post has said :-

The jewels are in a safe; and now belong to the Duchess of Cambridge.

A different scenario is Princess Grace of Monaco. I believe her jewels went to her two daughters, and not to the future Princess Charlene of Monaco!

MARG 10-13-2013 04:21 AM

:previous: Um, that would be "The jewels are in a safe; and now belong to the Duke of Cambridge and his brother, Prince Harry".

How the brothers divide the jewels is anyone's guess and we'll only know when we see their respective wives wearing them.

angieuk 10-13-2013 11:18 AM

Yes, that does make more sense.

julliette 10-13-2013 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1608575)
I believe that Kate has wore some sapphire earrings of Diana's. They were redone as drop earrings.

You're right. Here is a pic of both of them with the earrings:
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Qf52L1bBm6...d+earrings.jpg

I think they are very beautiful earrings and it makes sense that they went to Kate instead of Harry's future wife because they match her engagement ring.
And I like what Kate did with them, ie, redoing them as drop earrings.

mslewis 10-13-2013 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 1608740)
:previous: Um, that would be "The jewels are in a safe; and now belong to the Duke of Cambridge and his brother, Prince Harry".

How the brothers divide the jewels is anyone's guess and we'll only know when we see their respective wives wearing them.

Maybe they won't actually "divide" the jewels; perhaps they will just leave them in the safe and each wife can use whatever they want when needed. That would make sense to me but then, I'm not royal.

julliette 10-18-2013 10:52 AM

^^ That could be a solution during some time but eventually they'll have to divide it so that the jewels can pass to the next generation.

TLLK 10-18-2013 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by julliette (Post 1609975)
^^ That could be a solution during some time but eventually they'll have to divide it so that the jewels can pass to the next generation.

Or when the Queen's reign ends the Windors could choose to pool some of the jewelry into a foundation much like the Dutch royals have done with their pieces. More members of the family would have access to them and there is less likelihood of the treasures being sold off.

julliette 10-18-2013 02:40 PM

^^ Keep in mind we're talking about a different thing: Diana's personal jewels, the ones she really owned and left in her will to her sons. So, totally independent from the Windsors. But the foundation idea could work, I think. I must admit I don't know much about the Dutch foundation, though

cdm 10-19-2013 10:10 AM

Do you think that when Harry get's engaged he will choose a ring of Diana as engagement ring for his future wife. And if so which ring he will choose.

maria-olivia 10-19-2013 10:17 AM

Could Kate wear the Spencer tiara or is it for the Heir of the Spencers ?

Stefan 10-19-2013 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by maria-olivia (Post 1610219)
Could Kate wear the Spencer tiara or is it for the Heir of the Spencers ?

It belongs to the Earl Spencer so it is very unlikely that she will wear it because she would need to borrow it from him.

ldmemail 10-19-2013 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cdm (Post 1610216)
Do you think that when Harry get's engaged he will choose a ring of Diana as engagement ring for his future wife. And if so which ring he will choose.

I think once again as with Prince William, it would be a charming tribute to his Mother - there is the beautiful diamond and emerald ring he could use!

julliette 10-19-2013 11:26 AM

^^Could you post a pic of it, Idmemail? I don't think I remember that ring...

ldmemail 10-19-2013 12:17 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by julliette (Post 1610240)
^^Could you post a pic of it, Idmemail? I don't think I remember that ring...

Attachment 290336

Here is a picture from the internet - cropped version.

HRHAmy 10-19-2013 02:52 PM

I don't think Kate's sapphire earrings are diana's, for one there are more smaller diamonds on diana's earrings than on kate's that surround the sapphire. Second, the sapphire is different, on diana's the sapphire is smooth like a cabochon and on Kate's you can tell it's faceted. It may be a sapphire from Diana's collection, because she has so many, but I don't believe they are from this particular set of sapphire earrings.

Skippyboo 10-19-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLLK (Post 1610022)
Or when the Queen's reign ends the Windors could choose to pool some of the jewelry into a foundation much like the Dutch royals have done with their pieces. More members of the family would have access to them and there is less likelihood of the treasures being sold off.

When the queen dies her jewels go to Charles. The sovereign to sovereign transfer is not taxed so for this reason the queen lends jewelry to other royals such as the maple leaf brooch Kate wore in Canada instead of giving them to relatives.

How William and Harry split Diana's personal jewelry is between them. William's share will become part of the royal collection when he becomes King and will eventually pass to George.

julliette 10-19-2013 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skippyboo (Post 1610286)
How William and Harry split Diana's personal jewelry is between them. William's share will become part of the royal collection when he becomes King and will eventually pass to George.

Will it? There is no other option? One that allows, for example, the jewels to pass to a daughter (if he has one) or to other son (if he has more) of William?