The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   Princess Elizabeth & the Duke of Edinburgh, 20 November 1947 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/princess-elizabeth-and-the-duke-of-edinburgh-20-november-1947-a-3577.html)

mgrant 09-11-2004 09:27 PM

Princess Elizabeth & the Duke of Edinburgh, 20 November 1947

3 Attachment(s)
I found some wonderful black and white photos of the wedding of QE II on Getty Images and I want to share them with everyone. :D

Princess Elizabeth enters Westminister Abbey on the arm of her father, King George VI. The detail in the picture is not that great :(

Princess Elizabeth and her father, King George VI, are surrounded by bridesmaids as they arrange Princess Elizabeth's veil and train before they walk down the aisle of Westminister Abbey.

Princess Elizabeth's bridal sandals - they are made with duchesse satin with silver buckles studded with small pearls.

sara1981 09-11-2004 11:38 PM

its almost 60 years!

the HM Queen and Prince Philip been couple for 57 years but i cant wait for both to become 60 years to celebration!

Sara Boyce

mgrant 09-12-2004 02:40 PM

Wedding service in Westminister: King George VI gives the bride away

2 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1981
its almost 60 years!

the HM Queen and Prince Philip been couple for 57 years but i cant wait for both to become 60 years to celebration!

Sara Boyce

Yes, that would be something worth waiting to see! I look forward to any and all royal celebrations (especially weddings :D!)

In the first, King George VI gives Princess Elizabeth's hand in marriage to Lt. Philip Mountbatten. The second photo is of the Dr. GeoffreyFisher, the Archbishop of Cantebury and Officiant at the Princess's wedding ceremony.

mgrant 09-12-2004 02:54 PM

Wedding Ceremony photos

3 Attachment(s)
These are photos taken during various points in the ceremony.

Gabriella 09-12-2004 03:00 PM

what a great find mgrant! Elizabeth really was such a beautiful bride.

mgrant 09-12-2004 03:15 PM

2 Attachment(s)
This photo shows the 15-foot train of Princess Elizabeth's wedding gown in great detail.

The newlyweds, Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip leaving the Abbey by coach.

mgrant 09-12-2004 03:45 PM

Balcony shots

3 Attachment(s)
[FONT=Arial].......and what would a royal wedding be without all those endless photos of the happy (and maybe a tad exhausted!) newlywed couples waving from the balcony :D?

The first photo is Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip (duh!) :)

The second photo is from left to right: King George VI, Princess Margaret Rose, Lady Mary Cambridge (behind Princess Margaret), the Princess Bride, the groom, Queen Elizabeth, and her mother Queen Mary.

The third photo shows the entire bridal party (not listed in order of appearance!) Princess Margaret Rose, Margaret Elphinstone, Diana Bowes-Lyon, Lady Caroline Montague Douglas-Scott, Lady Elzabeth Lambert, the Marquis of Milford-Haven, Lady Mary Cambridge and Lady Pamela Mountbatten. There are two train bearers and one is named Prince William but I don't know if that's him in this picture! :p

mgrant 09-12-2004 04:03 PM

Let them eat cake (?)

3 Attachment(s)
First photo: Mr. Schur (the one in the middle), chief confectioner for McVitie and Price, stands in front admiring his masterpiece, Princess Elizabeth's wedding cake.

Second Photo: The cake stands alone :D The cake had four tiers, stood 9 feet high and weighed 500 pounds. (That's a lot of cake, people!)

Third Photo: The wedding cake was decorated with armorial bearings and the two bottom layers had scenes from the lives of Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip.

mgrant 09-12-2004 04:20 PM

Wedding Portrait

1 Attachment(s)
There is already a thread for official wedding portraits and of course, I've put one (maybe two, I can't remember!) of Princess Elizabeth's wedding party there somewhere on pages 4 and 5. Go over there and take a peek :D

I this is my personal favorite - it shows Princess Elizabeth beaming up at Prince Philip. The photo also show in detail that lovely 15 foot train.

mgrant 09-12-2004 04:44 PM

Wedding Gifts

3 Attachment(s)
As everyone knows, royal bridal couples receive a ton of gifts. These are just a few of the tonnage.

First photo: Princess Elizabeth's little sister, Princess Margaret Rose, gave her and Prince Philip this luxurious picnic box set.

Second photo: All newlywed couples need glassware to keep them from using old jelly jars for iced tea glasses :) Princess Elizabeth and Prince Philip never had that problem. The glassware in the top row of the showcase are from the Crown Prince and Princess of Sweden. The glassware in the middle are President and Mrs. Truman, and other Americans. The glassware on the bottom shelf came from Czechoslovakia.

Third photo: The silver oval fruit dish came from a group of women in Twickenham who shared the Princess's names, Elizabeth, Alexandra, Mary.

mgrant 09-12-2004 04:57 PM

Wedding Gifts

1 Attachment(s)
The diamonds in the jewelry in this photo were given to Princess Elizabeth during a visit to South Africa. The tiara in the photo is QE II's favorite which she wears frequently :)

mgrant 09-12-2004 05:09 PM

This is the last wedding gift picture, I promise!

1 Attachment(s)
The Canadians gave the newlywed royal couple silver candlesticks and a chest of drawers.

mgrant 09-12-2004 05:21 PM

Engagement portraits

2 Attachment(s)
Two portraits of Princess Elizabeth and Lt. Philip Mountbatten.

In the black and white photo, their engagement portrait, you can see just a small glimpse of Princess Elizabeth's diamond engagement ring......

The color photo of the royal couple was taken shortly before their wedding.

galuhcandrakirana 12-14-2004 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mgrant
Princess Elizabeth's bridal sandals - they are made with duchesse satin with silver buckles studded with small pearls.

the bride sandals seems designed to give a maximum comfort for the bride (look at the shape and material of choiced).

Mandy 12-14-2004 12:26 PM

2 Attachment(s)
September 1947 - Original caption: Soon to be a member of the English royal family in good standing, Lt. Philip Mountbatten, who gave up a Greek Princedom to become a British subject and the fiance of Princess Elizabeth, is shown with members of the royal Family in the White Drawing Room of Buckingham Palace. The photo was specially taken in connection with the wedding of Lt. Mountbatten and Princess Elizabeth on November 20th. Left to right are Princess Elizabeth, Lt. Mountbatten, Queen Elizabeth, King George and Princess Margaret Rose. APL pictures

Mandy 12-14-2004 12:33 PM

9 Attachment(s)
APL pictures of the wedding.
Rexfeatures pictures of the wedding.

Mandy 12-14-2004 12:35 PM

6 Attachment(s)
Fotomarktplatz pictures of the wedding.

Royalsa 08-13-2005 09:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here's a beautiful wedding picture in colour:

Gabriella 08-13-2005 12:46 PM

I have always loved her train; I think it's one of my favorites.

I was trying to remember this story, but I'm not sure if I have it all correctly. Didn't some commoners give up their rations from the war to help make Elizabeth's dress?

CATS 08-13-2005 03:01 PM

Gabriella
Yes, they did for the dress and cake.