The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Royal Nicknames? Pet names? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/royal-nicknames-pet-names-35676.html)

amaryllus 08-20-2013 10:59 PM

Royal Nicknames? Pet names?

What pet or nicknames do they have for each other? I know the DoE calls Queen Elizabeth 'sausage':smile:

Iluvbertie 08-20-2013 11:24 PM

I have heard he calls her 'cabbage' not 'sausage'.

Archduchess Zelia 08-21-2013 12:36 PM

Denmark:
King Frederik IX: Rico
Queen Ingrid: San (which comes from the Swedish word for Princess, 'Prinsessan')
Queen Margrethe II: Daisy (like her maternal grandmother, Princess Margaret of Connaught)
Crown Prince Frederik: Pingo (when he was in the Danish Frogman Corps)
Princess Isabella: Bella

The former King Constantine II of Greece is called Tino. Princess Alexandra of Denmark (Queen Consort to King Edward VII) was called Alix. Her sister, Princess Dagmar of Denmark (Maria Feodorovna) was called Minnie.

Fürstin Taxis 08-21-2013 07:37 PM

William was called Wombat by his parents, Wills by his mother
Harry is called Hazza I believe by his friends

Osipi 08-21-2013 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis (Post 1591097)

I've also heard that once William joined the military, Charles called him Combat Wombat.

AdmirerUS 08-21-2013 08:51 PM

And someone mentioned that they lip read the Duke of Cambridge calling Catherine a nickname as they came out the door of the hospital. Did anyone else catch that?

castell 08-22-2013 07:24 AM

William called her "Poppet".

Molly2101 08-22-2013 08:04 AM

I think nicknames are going to happen, it's quite natural. I do think Wills is quite a nice shortened version of William, and "Poppet" is quite an affectionate name. Charles calls Camilla "darling", but that's just a couple thing.

Lady Louise is apparently known as LouLou, and Sophie calls Edward "Ed" and Edward calls her "Soph".

I still think Lilibet is the cutest nickname, as well as Cabbage for QEII.

Why is Queen Margrethe called Daisy?

Biri 08-22-2013 08:10 AM

Maybe she likes daisies? (flowers). "Daisy" is also a diminutive from "Margaret" (English equivalent of Margrethe).

castell 08-22-2013 08:26 AM

Daisy is the nickname of Queen Margrethe. She even had a daisy brooch on her wedding dress and she still wears that brooch regularly. She also had daisies in her Bridal Bouquet.

The Royal Order of Sartorial Splendor: Readers’ Top 10 Wedding Gowns: #10. Queen Margrethe of Denmark

Archduchess Zelia 08-22-2013 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molly2101 (Post 1591204)
Why is Queen Margrethe called Daisy?

The French word for daisy is marguerite, which is also a name. The English equivalent of the French name Marguerite is Margaret. The Danish equivalent of Marguerite and Margaret is Margrethe, and that's where Daisy comes from :smile:

AdmirerUS 08-22-2013 08:43 AM

It's because there are Marguerite daisies. The form large clumps in a landscape and are also sold as cut flowers. Here's the white version: https://encrypted-tbn1.gstatic.com/i...XHXGqP43UckF_8

Lady Kathleen 08-22-2013 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1591223)

The French word for daisy is marguerite, which is also a name. The English equivalent of the French name Marguerite is Margaret. The Danish equivalent of Marguerite and Margaret is Margrethe, and that's where Daisy comes from :smile:

Also, the Queen's grandmother (Princess Margaret of Connaught) was called Daisy.

HereditaryPrincess 08-22-2013 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fürstin Taxis (Post 1591097)

I've also read that Harry is called "Spike" by his friends.

Historically, Elizabeth I's nickname was "Bess" and Queen Victoria's nickname was "Drina". I've also heard that Henry VIII's nickname was "Hal".

HM is called "Lillibet" by family members which has been her nickname since she was little. Prince Harry is really called Henry but family members (and the media) call him Harry, which is a popular nickname for Henry. I've also read that the Duke of Kent is sometimes called "Eddy" by his family. Articles have said that little Prince George will be known as "Georgie". I've heard that Catherine's nickname at primary school was "Squeak". I've also heard that the Duchess of Windsor gave the Queen Mother the nickname of "Cookie". George VI was known as "Bertie" within the family.

I'm not too sure about European Royals' nicknames, but I know that (in the past) Princess Ileana of Romania's children were known as "Minola" (Archduchess Maria Ileana), "Sandi" (Archduchess Alexandra), "Niki" (Archduke Domonic), "Magi" (Archduchess Maria Magdalena) and "Herzi" (Archduchess Elisabeth).

I sometimes wonder what nicknames the European royal children are given (I know that Princess Isabella is known as "Bella", as mentioned in another post here).

Archduchess Zelia 08-22-2013 06:21 PM

Maria of Romania, Queen Consort of Yugoslavia: "Mignon"

Tsar Nicholas II of Russia: "Nicky"
Alexandra Feodorovna: "Alix", "Alicky" and "Sunny"
Grand Duchess Olga Nikolaevna of Russia: "Olenka"
Grand Duchess Tatiana Nikolaevna of Russia: "The Governess"
Grand Duchess Maria Nikolaevna of Russia: "Mashka" and "le bon gros tou-tou" ('fat little bow-wow')
Grand Duchess Anastasia Nikolaevna of Russia: "Shvybzik", "Malenkaya" and "Anastasie"
Alexei Nikolaevich, Tsarevich of Russia: "Baby", "Sunbeam" and "Alyosha"

Grand Duke George Alexandrovich of Russia: "Georgie"
Grand Duke Michael Alexandrovich of Russia: "Misha"

Prince Albert Victor, Duke of Clarence and Avondale: "Eddie"
Princess Maud of Wales, Queen Consort of Norway: "Harry"

Lee-Z 08-23-2013 01:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1591406)
Grand Duke George Alexandrovich of Russia: "Georgie"

i assume that that actually *is* his name, the name in russian is Georgii, which translates in english to George... Even though Georgii to western ears sounds like a shortened version of an actual name (like Bobby for Robert), in russian it isn't (just like Alexii, Dimitri etc all official names... if you want the shortened version of Dimitri, it's Dima...)

HereditaryPrincess 08-29-2013 05:50 PM

In my earlier post I forgot to mention that Queen Victoria's daughter Princess Helena was known as "Lenchen" within the family and her elder sister, Victoria, Princess Royal, was known as "Vicky". Princess Victoria, Edward VII's daughter, was known as "Toria" (which I find cute). Queen Mary's nickname was "May", and she called her son Prince John "Johnnie". Also, George II had a daughter called Princess Amelia who was known as "Emily".

Queen Victoria Eugenia of Spain was known as "Ena" which was one of her middle names.

I have heard the press call Princess Madeleine "Madde", although I don't know if the Swedish Royal Family call her Madde personally.

Tiggersk8 08-29-2013 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by castell (Post 1591194)
William called her "Poppet".

Really? Missed that one and I find it cute and endearing too. :)

LadyFinn 08-30-2013 12:28 AM

Crown princess Victoria's has been called "Oja" (I don't know it is used anymore), Madeleine is still "Len" for her closest, and Carl Philip has been "Lippi" (he doesn't like it so much anymore). As children, they couldn't pronounce each others names properly so the nicknames were born out of necessity.

Vickan and Madde are names the press uses of Victoria and Madeleine.

HereditaryPrincess 08-31-2013 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1593553)
Crown princess Victoria's has been called "Oja" (I don't know it is used anymore), Madeleine is still "Len" for her closest, and Carl Philip has been "Lippi" (he doesn't like it so much anymore). As children, they couldn't pronounce each others names properly so the nicknames were born out of necessity.

That's very cute. :smile:

Quote:

Vickan and Madde are names the press uses of Victoria and Madeleine.
Thanks LadyFinn, I was wondering about Madeleine's nickname. Is Vickan a Swedish/Scandinavian nickname for Victoria? I haven't heard it being used in English.