The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Chit Chat (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/)
-   -   Beside the British Royal Family who would be the most Famous Royal Family in Europe? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/beside-the-british-royal-family-who-would-be-the-most-famous-royal-family-in-europe-35530.html)

BritishRoyalist 07-23-2013 10:25 PM

Beside the British Royal Family who would be the most Famous Royal Family in Europe?

Obivously the British Royal Family is the most Famous European Royal Family in Europe but beside the BRF who would be the most well known/Famous European Royal family in The World? I know the Spanish Royal Family is pretty famous and well known (atleast in the U.S).

amaryllus 07-23-2013 10:33 PM

in the Us? none. if it does not involve the name Diana it is irrelevant to royal discussion. Though on I guess what was slow news day a gossip mag had a story proclaiming princess Mary of Denmark 'trouble' and a 'bad influence' on Kate. Explain that one to me, LOL

sirhon11234 07-23-2013 10:35 PM

Well when Grace Kelly was alive and during the 80s and 90s Monaco was often in the American tabloids. The last time I remember seeing news on the Grimaldi's besides the moderate coverage on the wedding, was when Albert's son was born.

BritishRoyalist 07-23-2013 10:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaryllus (Post 1580955)
in the Us? none. if it does not involve the name Diana it is irrelevant to royal discussion. Though on I guess what was slow news day a gossip mag had a story proclaiming princess Mary of Denmark 'trouble' and a 'bad influence' on Kate. Explain that one to me, LOL

I said in the world. I said the Spanish royal family is well known or at least in the U.S anyway, there was interest in the British Royals among tabloids, TV and Newspapers long before Diana even came to the scene!

American Newspapers were writing about King Edward VIII relationship with Wallis Simpson before the British Media pick up on it or broke the story

amaryllus 07-23-2013 10:42 PM

maybe in some parts but I have never read or heard anything about the Spanish royals at all. yes, there was interest but now everything is BD or AD-before Diana or after Diana :)

As for the world-probably JUST the Brits, honestly.

Iluvbertie 07-24-2013 12:37 AM

I would say the Spanish because of the interest in Latin America - just because the USA doesn't cover them doesn't mean they don't get coverage elsewhere in the Americas. As for Australia after the Brits it would obviously be the Danes - simply because of Mary - but before Mary I suspect that many Aussies didn't even know the Danes had a royal family.

HRHHermione 07-24-2013 12:47 AM

In the US, sometimes I see coverage of Spain, Sweden and Denmark- I expect it's because Letizia, Victoria, Madeleine and Mary are all conventionally attractive, and therefore fun to cover in the style section of some magazines.

Jacknch 07-24-2013 01:03 AM

I think the Imperial Royal Family of Japan ought to be pretty well known around the world, alongside the Spanish Royal Family and the Dutch.

Lee-Z 07-24-2013 05:08 AM

Well, in countries which are a monarchy the own royal family is most well known (not necessarily the british rf....)
Apart from those i think Queen Elisabeth II would be recognized by several people, people might name "Monaco" as well-known monarchy (even though they won't necessarily know the current monarch) and that would be about it...

Other than that the best-known king would be from Games of Thrones or the Lion King...

Blue_ 07-24-2013 05:53 AM

In Belgium, besides our royals, only the British and the Dutch royals are well-known...

kathl29 07-24-2013 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1581019)
As for Australia after the Brits it would obviously be the Danes - simply because of Mary - but before Mary I suspect that many Aussies didn't even know the Danes had a royal family.

I would agree and even the Danish family is getting far less coverage since Kate joined the British Royal Family.

The Brits have had the wedding and now the birth whereas the Danes are a good 5 years further ahead - babies make for cuter magazine pictures in the eyes of magazine editors than 6 or 7 year olds sadly.

Maximafan 09-11-2013 02:08 PM

The dutch royla family is well known , if i would say willem-alexander or amalia over here it would directly be a subject of discussion , but if i say Mary or Mette-Marit people just go" eh what?"
The swedes are quite famous too

BrazilianEmpire 09-11-2013 02:39 PM

In Brazil, the British Royal Family is the most famous (some people know more about them than about our own Imperial Family).

Besides the British Royal Family, I think the most famous are the Spanish Royal Family and Monegasque Princely Family, the other are virtually unknown.

Grandduchess24 09-11-2013 04:01 PM

The Grimaldi

The Spanish royal family

TLLK 09-11-2013 05:52 PM

Living in the Los Angeles area there was televised coverage of Felipe and Letizia's wedding in 2004. However, I'd say that the Grimaldi's are the only other royals that seem to receive press coverage here in the U.S.

MarriedtoaScot 09-11-2013 06:38 PM

Really the British Royal family is the only one that gets any mention in the US press. As others have mentioned, Monaco used to get press because of Princess Grace... And the Spanish Royals after Franco died that diminished over time. But other than that.... Nothing really unless someone does something stupid. Other than the British Royals the rest could walk the streets and no one would recognize them.

Baron Brockdorf 09-11-2013 06:52 PM

the swedish royal family is quite famous in finland germany brazil, and here in malta we get a lot of news about them

BrazilianEmpire 09-11-2013 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baron Brockdorf (Post 1598337)
the swedish royal family is quite famous in finland germany brazil, and here in malta we get a lot of news about them

True. Many people here in Brazil knows about Queen Silvia. We call her the "Brazilian Queen".

NGalitzine 09-11-2013 07:01 PM

Probably depends on where you live but after the Windsors I would say the Grimaldis are the most famous.

Mariel 09-11-2013 08:50 PM

The Lux wedding did attract some American publicity, probably because it was so beautiful and had most royal families of Europe sending either their CP couples or even the reigning royals like Queen Beatrice. Huffpo featured a lot of coverage and it was at least shown briefly on the news channel I watch. As for me, it was the only royal wedding I ever stayed up all night to attend, via internet.