The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   General Royal Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How are the Familes Related? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f12/how-are-the-familes-related-35504.html)

amaryllus 07-21-2013 09:37 AM

How are the Familes Related?

It might be a task, but for all the currentreigning royal families of Europe can one of the amazingly knowledgeable people here give a diagram of how they are/were interrelated...Spain/Sweden for instance and so on. I know queen Victoria aka the grandmother of Europe got them related thru marriage.

Lee-Z 07-21-2013 09:46 AM

This might be a good start: Royal descendants of Queen Victoria and King Christian IX - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

amaryllus 07-21-2013 10:00 AM

thank you!

Spheno 07-21-2013 11:03 AM

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_intermarriage

amaryllus 07-21-2013 12:07 PM

bad joke time...where's the best place to meet your spouse or pick up dates?

your family reunion, of course!

xenobia 07-21-2013 12:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaryllus (Post 1577894)
bad joke time...where's the best place to meet your spouse or pick up dates?

your family reunion, of course!

If you're not royal, I'd say you should get a ticket to the Olympics. Just ask Fredrick and Mary, or Carl Gustav and Silvia :)
(I think that there are other royals who met at the olympics as well, but I can't remember them right now).

Mbruno 07-26-2014 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaryllus (Post 1577798)
It might be a task, but for all the currentreigning royal families of Europe can one of the amazingly knowledgeable people here give a diagram of how they are/were interrelated...Spain/Sweden for instance and so on. I know queen Victoria aka the grandmother of Europe got them related thru marriage.

I believe Queen Elizabeth II is a third cousin to King Juan Carlos and Queen Sofia of Spain, Prince Philip, King Albert II of Belgium, Queen Margrethe II of Denmark, and King Carl XVI Gustaf of Sweden; she is a second cousin to King Harald V of Norway. Princess (formerly Queen) Beatrix of the Netherlands is more remotely related to the British monarch (I guess, 5th cousin, or something like that)

King Carl Gustaf and Queen Margrethe are first cousins and so are also, I think, King Philippe of Belgium and Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg. Queen Sofia is a first cousin once removed to Prince Philip and the sister of Constantine II, former King of the Hellenes.

Duc_et_Pair 07-26-2014 04:27 PM

All current reigning royal families in Europe are related with the Dutch Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1687-1711) as most closest common ancestor appearing in all genealogical trees.

Mbruno 07-26-2014 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1690026)
All current reigning royal families in Europe are related with the Dutch Prince Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange (1687-1711) as most closest common ancestor appearing in all genealogical trees.

The family trees can be seen in the link below. It is a little bit outdated as it does not include the generation of the younger monarchs who recently ascended their thrones (like Felipe VI, Philippe of Belgium, Willem-Alexander, or even Henri of Luxembourg).

https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Europea...amily_tree.pdf

Duc_et_Pair 07-26-2014 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1690037)
The family trees can be seen in the link below. It is a little bit outdated as it does not include the generation of the younger monarchs who recently ascended their thrones (like Felipe VI, Philippe of Belgium, Willem-Alexander, or even Henri of Luxembourg).

https://www.royal.gov.uk/pdf/Europea...amily_tree.pdf

Aha thank you. It is most interesting that a Dutch Prince with only two children became the most closest common ancestor of all ruling European monarchs.

This is the good man in question, his DNA is in all current European reigning Sovereigns. The portrait hangs in Palace Het Loo, in the East of the Netherlands: http://igem.adlibsoft.com:8080/wwwop...OTHaartsen.JPG

genegirl99 07-26-2014 06:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1690042)
Aha thank you. It is most interesting that a Dutch Prince with only two children became the most closest common ancestor of all ruling European monarchs.

This is the good man in question, his DNA is in all current European reigning Sovereigns. The portrait hangs in Palace Het Loo, in the East of the Netherlands: http://igem.adlibsoft.com:8080/wwwop...OTHaartsen.JPG

I have 10 years in doing genealogy, believe me it's not surprising when you generate genealogy reports on family tree maker. It's more surprising to see how everyone connects to each other. Further up the family tree you will find that all reigning and non-reigning royal families can claim the Henry de Percy, the Earl of Northumberland as their ancestor.

Ish 07-26-2014 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genegirl99 (Post 1690050)
I have 10 years in doing genealogy, believe me it's not surprising when you generate genealogy reports on family tree maker. It's more surprising to see how everyone connects to each other. Further up the family tree you will find that all reigning and non-reigning royal families can claim the Henry de Percy, the Earl of Northumberland as their ancestor.

Interesting. By non-reigning, what families do you mean?

genegirl99 07-26-2014 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 1690058)
Interesting. By non-reigning, what families do you mean?

The Bulgarian Royal Family, the Romanian Royal Family, the Romanovs, etc. I generated a genealogy report a couple of years ago just for fun to see who was descended from the Henry de Percy's (like I am), and was shocked to see who was listed.

My mistake, it was the Barons Percy, not the Earls of Northumberland, but they eventually became the Earls of Northumberland and eventually the Dukes of Northumberland. It was another generation back from the first Earl of Northumberland.

Ish 07-26-2014 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genegirl99 (Post 1690077)
The Bulgarian Royal Family, the Romanian Royal Family, the Romanovs, etc. I generated a genealogy report a couple of years ago just for fun to see who was descended from the Henry de Percy's (like I am), and was shocked to see who was listed.

My mistake, it was the Barons Percy, not the Earls of Northumberland, but they eventually became the Earls of Northumberland and eventually the Dukes of Northumberland. It was another generation back from the first Earl of Northumberland.

Interesting... This may be my next project now....

genegirl99 07-26-2014 11:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ish (Post 1690099)
Interesting... This may be my next project now....

When I hit brickwalls with my own family I sit and do royal and noble genealogy.

I had at one point had All reigning and non-reigning royal houses connected to Charlemagne, but ended up redoing my Family Tree Maker file, but I do have paper copies somewhere....:bang:

Osipi 07-26-2014 11:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genegirl99 (Post 1690100)
When I hit brickwalls with my own family I sit and do royal and noble genealogy.

I had at one point had All reigning and non-reigning royal houses connected to Charlemagne, but ended up redoing my Family Tree Maker file, but I do have paper copies somewhere....:bang:

Out of the blue I happened to catch an episode of Who Do You Think You are and they ended up tracing Cindy Crawford's family tree back to Charlemagne. Very interesting stuffs.

genegirl99 07-26-2014 11:56 PM

It's fascinating for sure, and I feel that you can see the evolution of Europe through genealogy.

genegirl99 07-27-2014 09:45 PM

I just reran my genealogy report on the Percy's and found a few more interesting people in it: James Dean, Richard Nixon and the Earls of Carnarvon.

Duc_et_Pair 07-28-2014 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by genegirl99 (Post 1690100)

The difficulty with relating Ms Crawford to Charlemagne is that in those programs there often are loopholes with little written documentation and a lot of, what the Germans say, hineininterpretieren (interpret these holes so that you get the desired outcome).

In comparison royal genealogies are extremely well documented. All current royal families, name them Monaco, Sweden, the UK or whatever have excellent archives and can, step by step, with requested documents and evidence, work towards Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange. All based on actual facts, original registries and without hineininterpretieren.

:flowers:

Osipi 07-28-2014 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1690428)
The difficulty with relating Ms Crawford to Charlemagne is that in those programs there often are loopholes with little written documentation and a lot of, what the Germans say, hineininterpretieren (interpret these holes so that you get the desired outcome).

In comparison royal genealogies are extremely well documented. All current royal families, name them Monaco, Sweden, the UK or whatever have excellent archives and can, step by step, with requested documents and evidence, work towards Johan Willem Friso of Nassau, Prince of Orange. All based on actual facts, original registries and without hineininterpretieren.

:flowers:

Thanks Duc et Pair. As it was just an hour's show, it was obvious to me that they were highlighting certain connections and I don't think anyone would have believed from the show that the connection to Charlemagne was a deeply researched one. My knowledge of anything genealogical is really quite basic but it fascinates me to read the different forums on here of the vast knowledge that some of our posters have and the connections they've come up with.