The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f236/)
-   -   Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 2 (May 2013 - May 2017) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f236/willem-alexander-m-xima-and-family-general-news-part-2-may-2013-may-2017-a-35299.html)

PrinceS 05-01-2013 04:28 PM

Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 2 (May 2013 - May 2017)

Of course, I wish many many happy and healthy years for this beautiful family (so please do not read anything into this question -- it is simply curiosity).

If Willem-Alexander abdicates I assume Maxima would revert to being a Princess. However, if he died in office (many years from now), would Maxima be the Dowager Queen?

Or would she still revert to being a princess when her daughter succeeds?

Ish 05-01-2013 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PrinceS (Post 1547172)
Of course, I wish many many happy and healthy years for this beautiful family (so please do not read anything into this question -- it is simply curiosity).

If Willem-Alexander abdicates I assume Maxima would revert to being a Princess. However, if he died in office (many years from now), would Maxima be the Dowager Queen?

Or would she still revert to being a princess when her daughter succeeds?

She could, theoretically, revert if she wished to (at least, I believe she could), but she wouldn't have to.

The last Queen Consort of the Netherlands was Queen Emma, who went from being Her Majesty The Queen of the Netherlands (during her husband's reign) to Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Regent (during her daughter's minority) to Her Majesty Queen Emma of the Netherlands, The Queen Mother (the rest of her life).

Beatrix is not able to remain Queen anything because she was the Queen Regnant, but if Beatrix ceased to be Queen consort because her husband died she would still be a queen, just not the queen.

fortimo 05-03-2013 01:32 PM

An interesting article about the new life of Maxima:
Máxima der Niederlande: Sie hat jetzt 300 Bedienstete! - BUNTE
Google Fordító

Marengo 06-20-2013 10:54 AM

Willem-Alexander, Máxima and Family, General News Part 2 (May 2013 - present)

Welcome to the thread where you can post general news and information about the Dutch king and queen and their daughters

iceflower 06-23-2013 03:51 PM

King Willem-Alexander, Queen Máxima and the Princesses Amalia, Alexia and Ariane as well as Princess Mako of Japan attended the CHIO Rotterdam 2013 today, June 23:

** anp gallery ** gettyimages ** ppe gallery ** daylife **

** hola: Los Reyes de Holanda y sus tres hijas, en las carreras de Rotterdam ** translation **

fairy tale 06-25-2013 01:21 PM

New Pictures were published today, portraits of King and Queen
Zijne Majesteit Koning Willem-Alexander (Portretfoto's) - Het Koninklijk Huis
Hare Majesteit Koningin Máxima (Portretfoto's) - Het Koninklijk Huis

as well as a family picture with their dog Skipper
Koning Willem-Alexander en Koningin Máxima met de Prinsessen Catharina-Amalia, Alexia en Ariane (Portretfoto's) - Het Koninklijk Huis

and one photo of the three girls
Prinses Alexia, Prinses Catharina-Amalia en Prinses Ariane (Portretfoto's) - Het Koninklijk Huis

from Portretfoto's - Het Koninklijk Huis

(for HQ click on "Hoge resolutie afbeelding")

carlota 06-25-2013 04:35 PM

what a beautiful set of pictures!

i am very much in love with the composition of the picture (what a beautiful room they have, with the window opening into the garden!), with the dog (i didn't know they had one!) and with the lovely matching dresses of the princesses. beautiful! well done to the dutch court for deciding to take this new set.

Dman 06-25-2013 09:01 PM

Pictures:
New Official Photos of King Willem Alexander , Queen Maxima and their daughters:
MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASH

Very beautiful pictures. I like when the Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish royal release beautiful official pictures like this. It's like you're being invited into they're happy home and welcomed warmly.

I wish the British royals took official pictures like this on a regular bases.

Frelinghighness 06-25-2013 09:27 PM

So nice that they release such nice pictures of them in their house. I love the pictures, except the way the famly photo was posed. Don't like the positioning of the King and Queen, their hands and shoulders are akward. Even though it doesn't really matter what the girls wear, they are so adorable, I don't like the dark top with the funny cross or the way they are sitting.

crm2317 06-26-2013 02:05 AM

The pictures are lovely! They make a wonderful family. The first time I opened the pictures I didn't even notice the dog!

Marengo 06-26-2013 08:04 AM

I wonder if these pictures come instead of the usual summer photo shoot.

biru 06-27-2013 11:03 AM

the new official photos of King Willem-Alexander and his family are beautiful.... such a very nice royal family :D

HereditaryPrincess 06-29-2013 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dman (Post 1568511)
Pictures:
New Official Photos of King Willem Alexander , Queen Maxima and their daughters:
MYROYALS &HOLLYWOOD FASH

Very beautiful pictures. I like when the Dutch, Danish, Norwegian, Spanish and Swedish royal release beautiful official pictures like this. It's like you're being invited into they're happy home and welcomed warmly. I wish the British royals took official pictures like this on a regular bases.

Those are great family photos, thank you for sharing Dman. I love this family, the girls are so pretty. Their palace looks very nice as well, I really like their floor. I also wish the British Royal Family would take and release photos like this.

hana 09-19-2013 04:47 AM

where do the king and queen live

Ilse 09-19-2013 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hana (Post 1600937)
where do the king and queen live

In Wassenaar:flowers:

maria-olivia 09-19-2013 08:11 AM

How is the relationship between King Willem Alexander and his brother Prince Constantijn.
I think the late Prince Friso is terribly missing !

Lee-Z 09-30-2013 01:21 PM

(Since we occasionally like to discuss these things)
Today the plans have been announced on what would happen should P.Amalia become queen before she turns 18. Plan is that her mother Q.Maxima will be regent; should Maxima for whatever reason not be able to do so, P.Constantijn (K.Willem-Alexander's brother) will be the regent.

amaryllus 09-30-2013 02:07 PM

Let's pray that won't happen but having everything nailed down is essential. I assume it would be similar with Estelle and Victoria and the rest of the families.

lucien 09-30-2013 02:59 PM

The Regency is arranged in case Amalia becomes Queen before the age of 18.Queen Máxima will be Regent and have the authority of her children while a Council will advice her.In the scenario both parents are no longer with us Prince Constantijn will be Regent.The plans have the consent of the Councill of State and are simular to those in force as off 1981.

The settlement has now been send to the States General as a Royal Message.

It is expected to pass both Houses without any ado as was the case in previous arrangements.Hope and pray indeed that a situation as discribed will never occur.The last time a Regent was installed due to the fact the Heir was only 10 was with Queen Wilhelmina in 1890 as King Willem III passed away and her mother,Queen Emma,became Regent.

amaryllus 09-30-2013 03:07 PM

Who would get custody of the minor children in such a case?

lucien 09-30-2013 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by amaryllus (Post 1604633)
Who would get custody of the minor children in such a case?

Queen Máxima,as I said in my post,they would all be minor children in that scenario,they would all be under the age of 18.With the assistance of a Council,and in the worst case scenario both parents are not availeble it will be Prince Constantijn who will be Regent and has the custody of the children with the assistence of the same Council untill the Princess of Orange turns 18 and ascends the Throne.:smile:

And as to answer post # 13 by Maria-Olivia,the brothers are very closeknitted,always have been.

Marengo 10-01-2013 04:49 AM

I find this the most logical arrangement. Máxima is the only other full time working royal of her generationso the most obvious choice, even if she isn't royal by birth (as some seem to take fault with). The same arrangement was made in the past, with prince Claus as regent. I don't know what was arranged in 1948.

lucien 10-01-2013 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1604817)
I find this the most logical arrangement. Máxima is the only other full time working royal of her generationso the most obvious choice, even if she isn't royal by birth (as some seem to take fault with). The same arrangement was made in the past, with prince Claus as regent. I don't know what was arranged in 1948.

With Prince Claus,Queen Emma and numerous other Ladies of rank in the House of Orange over the centuries.Máxima is the right and only choice.To see the bickering and nauseating frumpiness on other boards by their local nerds...is toe-curling to say the least and totally out of touch with the workings of our Monarchy and the times,so,ignore them Marengo..."for they do not know"....a thing.....grin...

God forbid that it will ever come to the working of the instrument of appointing a Queen Regent,as the reason will be a more then sad one,but if,then the Regency is in the capable hands of the extraordinary woman we've come to know and with whom we can count our Blessings as for the talents,character,love and dedication with which she warms our society,domestic and abroad.

muriel 10-01-2013 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1604817)

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucien (Post 1604823)
With Prince Claus,Queen Emma and numerous other Ladies of rank in the House of Orange over the centuries.Máxima is the right and only choice.To see the bickering and nauseating frumpiness on other boards by their local nerds...is toe-curling to say the least and totally out of touch with the workings of our Monarchy and the times,so,ignore them Marengo..."for they do not know"....a thing.....grin...

God forbid that it will ever come to the working of the instrument of appointing a Queen Regent,as the reason will be a more then sad one,but if,then the Regency is in the capable hands of the extraordinary woman we've come to know and with whom we can count our Blessings as for the talents,character,love and dedication with which she warms our society,domestic and abroad.

I completely agree, Maxima is the logical regent in these circumstances. she will be best placed to be acting head of state on behalf of the Queen.

MagMil 10-07-2013 03:14 AM

Team A is so so cute... :heartflower:

They are so beautiful and charming little ladies :smile:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4ebe57db2...ah58o1_400.gif

Kaatje 10-07-2013 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagMil (Post 1606938)
Team A is so so cute... :heartflower:

They are so beautiful and charming little ladies :smile:

http://24.media.tumblr.com/4ebe57db2...ah58o1_400.gif

They are darling! They just seem like such nice young ladies. I do wish they were not always dressed the same, though. I would love to see their "personalities" in fashion.

mes 10-08-2013 04:50 AM

I am the eldest of 3 sisters and we were always dressed alike - even with a 6 year age difference. This is perfectly normal and nothing to be "groaned about". I recall my mother telling me once when I did complain about wearing the same bathers as my younger sisters that it was much easier to find find us on the beach dressed alike.

ashelen 12-24-2013 10:40 AM

any news? where they will spend xmas? I had not read from Maxima any news from a while, guess she had been prepearing the xmas with the girls and having some time with them!!!! did they went to see San Nicolas this year?

Nora80b 12-25-2013 11:22 AM

First..happy & blessed holidays!

Blauw Bloed website has a new DVD collection about the Dutch royal and it seems interesting..I just need someone to translate \ explain to me if the DVD includes English subtitles or not? I'll be so thankful to get a reply :)

and my apology to post my Q here ..here is the link 3DVD-Box Het Royalty Jaar in Beeld

Thank you

Nora

cdm 12-25-2013 12:51 PM

Don't they alternate between Argentina and The Netherlands for Christmas?
If so, they are at home, because they went to Argentina last year.

Sent from my HTC Desire C using The Royals Community mobile app

Lee-Z 12-25-2013 02:35 PM

Dutch media reports that several dutch royals attended a christmas service today in Hilversum (Netherlands): King and Queen, P.Beatrix, P.Constantijn and P.Laurentien and P.Mabel (Mabel's mother lives in Hilversum and attended too).

Even if WA and Maxima used to alternate yearly between Argentina and NL, i expect that will be changed now the are King and Queen (certain obligations as head of state..)

Kersttoespraak 2013 - Het Koninklijk Huis

King Willem-Alexander's first Christmas speech from today (in dutch)

Jacknch 12-25-2013 06:31 PM

Great to see the king's first Christmas address - the house looked lovely. I liked the cosiness of the fireside and the wreath on the front door!

An Ard Ri 12-29-2013 03:02 PM

The King's Christmas Speech from Youtube,really love the open wood fire!

Koning Willem-Alexander: Kersttoespraak 2013-12-25 - Royal Christmas Message - YouTube

ashelen 12-29-2013 03:10 PM

I love the paintings of the girls in the back ground! looks a very cozy place!

hana 03-28-2014 05:32 AM

do you think the 3 princess will participate in celebration of the King's Day

Fanvanmaxima 03-28-2014 06:48 AM

The RVD accounced a while ago that the thrwee princesses won't attend King's Day.

Marengo 04-14-2014 04:26 AM

The King and the princess of Orange attended a performance of the musical 'Soldier of Orange' about a Dutch resistance fighter in the second World War.

Royalty Online

--
In a column, Marc van der Linden holds a plea for some more media exposure for the three princesses. He compares the Dutch situation to Belgium and the Scandinavian monarchies, where we get to see more of the young royals:
http://www.royalty-online.nl/columns...keerd-begrepen

Marengo 04-23-2014 05:05 AM

Last week Queen Máxima got stranded on the highway between Brussels and Antwerp, on her way back to The Hague from a visit to her favourite designer, Eduard Vermeulen/Natan.
Apparently she forgot to tank gasoline.

Máxima zonder benzine langs de weg | RTL Nieuws

ashelen 04-24-2014 06:32 PM

Máxima de Holanda también se olvida de repostar
well I guess one of the employes forgot to make sure she has gas in the car! hups!!! somebody is in trouble!

Marengo 04-25-2014 04:56 AM

While the king opened the 'kings games' this morning, his wife is volunteering for these games at the school of the princesses. The school holds a sponsor walk to raise money for a rare bone disease.

Royalty Online

carlota 04-27-2014 03:29 AM

hola reports a funny anecdote when maxima, this week, was driving her own car and run out of fuel. thankfully, the security car going with her had a bottle of fuel. it happened in the E19 between amberes and brussels, after she visited natan's stylist Vermeulen, and they speculate the visit was to discuss her outfit that she wore for king's day a few days after...

Máxima de Holanda también se olvida de repostar

tommy100 04-27-2014 08:04 AM

wow surprised that now she is Queen Maxima has time to travel that far she seems to have been mega busy so far!

ashelen 04-27-2014 02:15 PM

and if it is true I m sure she is not the one who put petrol in the car, she must have employes who do that and if they didn't check that i'm sure who ever is , is in huge trouble!

Marengo 04-27-2014 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tommy100 (Post 1660858)
wow surprised that now she is Queen Maxima has time to travel that far she seems to have been mega busy so far!

Wassenaar-The Hague should be possible in two hours by car if there arent any traffic jams.

tommy100 04-27-2014 03:04 PM

i'm surprised that she has to travel to a fashion designer and that a fashion designer wouldn't travel to her.

sjetajiem 04-27-2014 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1660985)
Wassenaar-The Hague should be possible in two hours by car if there arent any traffic jams.

Wassenaar-The Hague could be done in half an hour:flowers:
Otherwise that would be a super traffic jam.

The Hague-Brussels could be done by car in approximately 3 1/2 hours

Lee-Z 04-27-2014 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sjetajiem (Post 1660990)
Wassenaar-The Hague could be done in half an hour:flowers:
Otherwise that would be a super traffic jam.

The Hague-Brussels could be done by car in approximately 3 1/2 hours

Maybe Den-Haag/Wassenaar is 2 hours if she uses the golden carriage :flowers: (that would be a sight :lol:)

Marengo 04-27-2014 05:36 PM

hehe, maybe they should give it a try.
But yes I meant Wassenaar-Brussels. According to routenet.nl it is 2 hours, but I have never driven it myself as I usually take the train so it may be longer indeed, esp. considering the traffic.

Anyway, it is safe to assume HM will clear out a day for such a visit. It must take some time to get the outfits right. Vermeulen says she visited him twice a year usually. One of the big advantages of his brand is that he offers a total package, in a tandem with hatmaker Fabienne Delvigne. See the interview of Els Smit with Vermeulen (Dutch only): Royal Glitter Interview: Edouard Vermeulen

sjetajiem 04-27-2014 05:44 PM

Anyway it was a lovely occasion to see the fast complete royal family.
Well the next family reunion would be the christening of Princess Zita Clara de Bourbon de Parme and her unborn cousin Brenninkmeijer.

The next time they should indeed take the TGV

Marengo 04-28-2014 11:16 AM

I suppose that the son of Floris and Aimee still needs to be baptised too? But it seems that they wait until the boy can walk to the baptismal font himself.

---
In the mean time.. the family has an empty agenda as there it is a school holiday. The king and queen will attend the national remembrance and liberation events later this week though.

roseroyal 04-28-2014 11:21 AM

I'm not sure this is the right thread, but don't The Dutch Royal Family come out for big national holiday on April 30, or am I mistaken?

julliette 04-28-2014 11:34 AM

If you mean the King's Day, it already happened on the 26th. It's the following thread:
http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...een-33971.html

sjetajiem 04-28-2014 11:40 AM

I heard that Willem Jan van Vollenhoven will probably be baptized after the summer holidays.
That is August/September 2014.
No official announcement.
So I suppose that the Bourbon de Parme children will be baptized before their van Vollenhoven cousin.
They are Roman Catholics and the van Vollenhoven branch is protestant.

Marengo 05-03-2014 02:30 PM

Thanks for that info!

---
The ombuds(wo)man / public advocate of newspaper the 'Volkskrant' wrote a very angry article in her own newspaper about her own newspaper. The newspaper published a letter that was sent to them by a reader. The letter contained among other things derogatory comments about the three princesses on Kingsday. It focussed on their weight, dresses, and skintone.

The ombudsman is angry at her own newspaper for publishing such a letter and says that the responsibility lies first and foremost with the editor of this section of the newspaper. She is worried that such remarks will trouble the daughters of the king at school for example.

'Ook prinsesjes kunnen gepest en gekwetst worden' - Ombudsvrouw - VK

Tiggersk8 05-03-2014 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1662544)
Thanks for that info!

---
The ombuds(wo)man / public advocate of newspaper the 'Volkskrant' wrote a very angry article in her own newspaper about her own newspaper. The newspaper published a letter that was sent to them by a reader. The letter contained among other things derogatory comments about the three princesses on Kingsday. It focussed on their weight, dresses, and skintone.

The ombudsman is angry at her own newspaper for publishing such a letter and says that the responsibility lies first and foremost with the editor of this section of the newspaper. She is worried that such remarks will trouble the daughters of the king at school for example.

'Ook prinsesjes kunnen gepest en gekwetst worden' - Ombudsvrouw - VK

Good for her!! She's dead on target w/her comments too.

ashelen 05-03-2014 10:58 PM

wow, what they coud say about the colour of their skin? my goodness are white girls! and how they dare to publish something like that hope the parents shield them from that!

MARG 05-04-2014 03:07 AM

:previous: Erm, not too sure what you are trying to say here?

I think the media have a duty to keep their "personal" comments about children, any children, to themselves. The rules of adult fashion critique do not apply and as to what they were wearing, well "if they couldn't print something nice they ought to have printed nothing at all". And in this case they printed a letter and merrily provided a photo just in case anyone missed the point.

Bullying is ugly and let's face it, when it comes to fashion and clothing, the York Princesses have been the butt of many a joke and vicious comments about their sense of fashion or more devastingly, their weight. They, unfortunately, were young girls, adolescents and teenagers before the movement against bullying really got under way and the law had teeth. Their young lives were littered with cruel bullying given a "Voice" by the media. Note, these girls are not exactly the first in line to the throne.

Princess's Amalia, Alexia and Ariane are numbers one, two and three in line to the throne and that is not going to change for a very long time. Certainly not before their collective majority (barring tragedy). What a stirling example this paper has provided that their Crown Princess can now become their very own poster child for Bullying Victims. :bang:

Bottom line: Hands off all kids, as the Ombudswoman said: "Even princesses can be bullied and hurt". I

Lee-Z 05-04-2014 04:49 AM

The comment was not made by "the media" as such but in a section where the general public can express their opinion; where should the media draw the line in chosing which comments to publish or not...isn't this all part of "freedom of speech"?
On these forums "freedom of speech" is often used as an excuse in saying all kinds of things about people, this is no different from an opinion sent in by a reader of a newspaper.

Imo Freedom of speech is a great prerogative, but it shouldn't mean that anyone should say whatever they want at whatever time and place they want, there is also such a thing as common decency, which a lot of people tend to forget nowadays.

The letter-writer who didn't like the look of the princesses cloths was rebuffed later by other letter-writers; isn't that exactly how it should work?

carlota 05-04-2014 05:00 AM

that's horrible behaviour, to attack 3 children in such a public manner. how sad that person must be to channel her energy to attack kids.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ashelen (Post 1662605)
wow, what they coud say about the colour of their skin? my goodness are white girls!

what do you mean ashelen? to me this implies that if they weren't white something would be wrong with them / they would deserve to be bashed for their skin colour? really? is such comment necessary? i really don't know what you meant here, but it definitely sounds completely wrong to me.

Lee-Z 05-04-2014 05:14 AM

What was said about color (by the letter-writer) was that "pale-beige is not a good color for three rather colorless girls"; not a sweet comment, but stated this way (and in a dutch setting) this is not aimed at their skin-color, but rather to be explained as "the one who chose the dresses should have chosen brighter colors" and with a possible sneer to a colorless personality, which is ofcourse unfair because we tend to not see the girls enough to judge their personality, but still has nothing to do with skincolor as such..

Duc_et_Pair 05-04-2014 05:15 AM

The main problem was that in a published letter to the editor the three children were criticized for their looks (with hints to Amalia being fat). Luckily a storm of criticism came over the author of the letter. At the same time the Ombudswoman of the newspaper criticized the own editorial staff for publishing such a letter because three defenceless children were exposed to public criticism, even more defenceless because as children of the King they are under ministerial responsibility, meaning that -for an example- a hypothetic lawsuit should be 'covered' by the government. All by all unwanted by-effects. The main point was that not adults in the public eye were criticized but children.

Lee-Z 05-04-2014 06:09 AM

^^^^
particularly because these children did not chose their role in life... if for instance an 11 year old takes part in a talent-show against adults, it would not be fair if they were judged on a different scale than the adult-competitors, but in that case they had made the choice to participate...

casualfan 05-04-2014 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carlota (Post 1662631)
what do you mean ashelen? to me this implies that if they weren't white something would be wrong with them / they would deserve to be bashed for their skin colour? really? is such comment necessary? i really don't know what you meant here, but it definitely sounds completely wrong to me.

No, I think the OP was just trying to say that there's nothing to discuss regarding the princesses' skin - ie, how could someone criticize the girls for being 'colorless,' when they're just normal (white) girls? I think there's just a language barrier here.

Lee-Z 05-04-2014 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casualfan (Post 1662663)
No, I think the OP was just trying to say that there's nothing to discuss regarding the princesses' skin - ie, how could someone criticize the girls for being 'colorless,' when they're just normal (white) girls? I think there's just a language barrier here.

Thanks for explaining, I would have never thought of "white" being a synonym of "normal"... this must be a cultural difference :flowers:

carlota 05-04-2014 08:45 AM

thanks for the explanation. maybe indeed that was what was meant. i am myself a white european, and found it slightly on the wrong side, but if i had been of another race i would have found that comment rather insulting.

casualfan 05-04-2014 10:56 AM

King WA, Queen Máxima and Family: General News, (May 2013- present)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee-Z (Post 1662665)
Thanks for explaining, I would have never thought of "white" being a synonym of "normal"... this must be a cultural difference :flowers:

I struggled with how to phrase my response so apologize for awkward phrasing. but I think the point was 'how are you going to say that the girls are 'colorless,' when they are not people of color?' Also, I think OP was just pointing out how ridiculous it all was.

ashelen 05-04-2014 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by casualfan (Post 1662663)

Thank you! it is nothing to discuss about their colour of their skin, they are just normal white girls , and if they were different colour it is nothing to discuss either doesn't matter what colour of skin they are or what dress are using nor if they are chubby girls, they are just kids that they should to enjoy their childhood and not to be cast in any type of negativity environment. Can you imagine not only school but they are having access to computer, could you imagine if Amalia reads anything negative about her in the computer?, as a mother I would be furious, leave my kids alone!
I just read that the word they used it is "clourless" for me that would mean that they look sick! and they have a very healthy look! nothing to say!
The kids they should to enjoy kingsday not to be scare of it oh "what the press would say this year about me, mommy ?" " I don't want to go" well hope her parents do what ever the need to protect them and bring up Amalia a great future Queen of the Neatherlands!

MARG 05-05-2014 01:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lee-Z (Post 1662627)
The comment was not made by "the media" as such but in a section where the general public can express their opinion; where should the media draw the line in chosing which comments to publish or not...isn't this all part of "freedom of speech"?
On these forums "freedom of speech" is often used as an excuse in saying all kinds of things about people, this is no different from an opinion sent in by a reader of a newspaper.

Imo Freedom of speech is a great prerogative, but it shouldn't mean that anyone should say whatever they want at whatever time and place they want, there is also such a thing as common decency, which a lot of people tend to forget nowadays.

The letter-writer who didn't like the look of the princesses cloths was rebuffed later by other letter-writers; isn't that exactly how it should work?

I alway cringe when people talk about freedom of speech because, other than the US, I don't think that it is enshrined in any other constitutions. Regardless, freedom of speech is not a licence to bully but, in printing that particular letter alongside a photo of the children in the "offending" clothes, it seems that particular newspaper has declared open season on the royal children. It is utterly irrelevant that the majority of replies to that letter rebuked the author of the letter and it's contents. It does not rewind history, nor does it remove the the ammunition it gave to those that would bully the princesses. What it does do is make the Crown Princess and her sisters the poster children for Bullying.

Princesses Beatrice and Eugenie are perfect examples of media without conscience as they loosed a continual stream of nastyand even vicious articles about them from the time they hit their teens. Nothing was off limits, not their family, their clothing or, worst of all, their respective weights. That they grew into the happy, well-adjusted young women that they are is a tribute to their parents hard work. Those girls grew up before people were educated that Bullying was not a Rite of Passage but a harmful and damaging practice that has devastating consequences and is, in many places, legislated against.

I hope the Dutch royals slap the newspaper with legal action and nip this in the bud.

Lee-Z 05-05-2014 01:32 AM

^^^^^^^ i agree that freedom of speech should not be used as an excuse to bully someone, but let's look at ourselves here on these forums; it happens here too...and if the children are old enough to read newspapers they are also old enough to read what is said on the internet..

By the way, imo, the dutch media would also have gotten a lot of critique had they called them "normal white girls" (just for a different reason)... :-)

Elenath 05-05-2014 03:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MARG (Post 1662820)
I alway cringe when people talk about freedom of speech because, other than the US, I don't think that it is enshrined in any other constitutions. Regardless, freedom of speech is not a licence to bully but, in printing that particular letter alongside a photo of the children in the "offending" clothes, it seems that particular newspaper has declared open season on the royal children. It is utterly irrelevant that the majority of replies to that letter rebuked the author of the letter and it's contents. It does not rewind history, nor does it remove the the ammunition it gave to those that would bully the princesses. What it does do is make the Crown Princess and her sisters the poster children for Bullying.

Actually it is. It is mentioned in the European convention on Human Rights (art. 10 to be precise), which is binding for all European countries, and the Dutch constitution protects the right the press has in printing/publishing whatever they want as long as it doesn’t break the law (art. 7). The question isn’t wether it’s legal, the question is wether it’s ethical. Wether children deserve more protection from letters like these than adults.

Duc_et_Pair 05-05-2014 04:09 AM

There is a form of segregation in the Netherlands as well. Due to immense amounts of immigration, especially in the big cities the population has changed drastically. When you take the metro from the suburbs in Amsterdam South-East to the city centre, fat chance that the average caucasian Dutchman from the countryside will look around with bewilderment to see that all other passengers in the metro have all ethnic backgrounds from the world and that he is far in the minority.

The 'hidden' segregation happens unintendedly, and it is official policy to fight and prevent it. "Newcomers" are usually less wealthy and live in cheaper neighbourhoods. Result is that also the local schools become crowded by children with a background from Iraq, Somalia, Libya, Armenia, Egypt, whatever. They drag down the average score of the whole school, simply because they are poor in Dutch, are practically illiterate or did not enjoy any primary schooling at all. The side-effect: "white parents" take their children away because, understandably, they want the best education. Some schools in some neighbourhoods in big cities face a "white exodus": the wealthier parents prefer to bring their kids in a daily ride to a "white school" furtherer away than to the own local school in the own neighbourhood.

The three princesses live in Wassenaar. The Royal Domain 'De Horsten' is already almost 175 years in the possession of the royal family. Now Wassenaar is one of the most 'posh' residential areas in the Netherlands. It is known for broad, lush green streets with big residential or stately homes and villas, a typical sleepy posh area, where girls go horseriding, wearing Burberry shawls and boys are on field hockey and the daddies all ride Land Rover, you know what I mean.

So with portraying of the three princesses as three "white girls" it is not directly meaning their skintone but more typecasting them as "those typical girls from that sort of people". (And yes.... the triple A's do horseriding, and yes.... the triple A's do play field hockey....). There is an enormous difference with the countryside in Friesland, or Limbourg and cities as Amsterdam, Rotterdam, The Hague, Utrecht. It sometimes look and feel as worlds apart, in the very same country. On King's Day the royal family went to De Rijp, a typical Ye Olde Dutch village with happy white Dutch girls and boys singing for their King. Afterwards they went to Amstelveen, a big city close to Schiphol International Airport and it has the largest number of Ex-Pats living in the city. All people from abroad to work for multinationals and sending their children to international schools (bilingual edication). The festive atmosphere, the fun was the same, but there was an enormous difference between the village which was visited in the morning and then the city around Noon.

:flowers:

Marengo 06-11-2014 07:05 AM

The public news channel has an article critisizing the flamboyance of Máxima.
Weblog Evenementen » Blog Archief » Koningin Máxima steelt de show

The article states that it isn't bad that she receives more attention than him per se. But that it is starting to become disproportionate and that he slowly gets completely overshadowed by his wife. There is a danger that mutual public engagements become a 'Maxima-show'. Most attention is generated by her clothes.

Courtesy: Sander at ATR.

Jacknch 06-11-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1675046)
The public news channel has an article critisizing the flamboyance of Máxima.
Weblog Evenementen » Blog Archief » Koningin Máxima steelt de show

The article states that it isn't bad that she receives more attention than him per se. But that it is starting to become disproportionate and that he slowly gets completely overshadowed by his wife. There is a danger that mutual public engagements become a 'Maxima-show'. Most attention is generated by her clothes.

Courtesy: Sander at ATR.

Perhaps the public news channel should therefor focus it's reports on the King rather than the Queen! It is all very well the media saying Maxima is too flamboyant or her clothes generate more attention, but they are the media, they report it, their journalists have the power to focus attention upon whomever they like. Here in the UK, the problem is exactly the same....only today I read an article about the Spanish royal family and the wording was "Princess Letizia, soon to be queen of Spain and her husband Felipe who will be king".
I find myself having to explain to people that Queen Maxima of the Netherlands is the consort! Maybe people are not used to seeing a Dutch king!

iceflower 06-16-2014 02:35 AM

Willem-Alexander, Máxima and the girls watched the Field Hockey World Cup men's match between Australia and the Netherlands in Den Haag yesterday, June 15. Australia won the match.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** Pic 4 **

** rp-online.de gallery ** anp gallery **

** rtlnieuws.nl gallery: FOTO'S: Prinsesjes bij finale WK hockey **

** omroepwest.nl video: Ze zijn er! Willem-Alexander, Maxima en dochters bij WK-finale heren **

MARG 06-16-2014 03:09 AM

:previous: Ah, the family that plays together, stays together. And judging by the photos there were some very tense and very exciting moments. What a terrific boost for the team to have the entire royal family there to cheer them on.

Just as an aside, the photo of King Willem-Alexander formally escorting his Queen at the wedding was amazing. He looked every inch a King, so if the media cared to train their cameras on the "Couple" they would see the pride of the Netherlands!

Marengo 06-16-2014 08:37 AM

The boost didn't help much, the Dutch men lost the finals. The day earlier the Dutch ladies also played against Australia in the finals, but they won.

All three princesses play field hockey btw, just like most children of well-to-do parents in The Netherlands.

Mbruno 06-16-2014 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1676693)
The boost didn't help much, the Dutch men lost the finals. The day earlier the Dutch ladies also played against Australia in the finals, but they won.

All three princesses play field hockey btw, just like most children of well-to-do parents in The Netherlands.

Isn't the Royal Couple going to Brazil to root for the Netherlands in the FIFA World Cup ? The Dutch team is very strong as shown by their overwhelming win in the opening game against Spain.

EmmaNL 06-16-2014 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1676695)
Isn't the Royal Couple going to Brazil to root for the Netherlands in the FIFA World Cup ? The Dutch team is very strong as shown by their overwhelming win in the opening game against Spain.

Yes, they are attending the match between Australia and the Netherlands on wednesday in Porto Alegre.. It is three times Australia-Netherlands this week: 2x hockey, 1x football.

ashelen 06-16-2014 09:47 AM

I was just thinking what maxima thought in 1977, about Argentina n the Netherlands game she was very little May be 7 or 8 , who would say one day she would be the queen of the Netherlands! I'm sure nit in her wildest dream thought about it! now she is very Dutch but still she must have some heart for Argentina! Hope they do not have to play against each other !!!!

EmmaNL 06-16-2014 10:36 AM

A journalist actually asked how she was thinking about sport matches between Argentina and the Netherlands. It occured at least once that the Dutch hockey team (I think the ladies, they're the best) had to play against Argentina while the King and Queen (they were still Prince and Princess at that moment) were present (at the Olympics). Queen Máxima was supporting the Dutch, very enthusiasticly. She also told the press that she is 100% for the Netherlands, of course, she should be. She always seems very enthusiastic when supporting th Dutch, so I suppose she really wants to support them..

iceflower 06-16-2014 03:50 PM

Here's a very nice additional gallery from yesterday:

** pp: Sortie au stade pour Maxima et sa famille **

And another large one:

** pp: Catharina-Amalia, Alexia, Ariane des Pays-Bas : Fans surexcitées, puis dépitées **

Mbruno 06-16-2014 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmmaNL (Post 1676714)
A journalist actually asked how she was thinking about sport matches between Argentina and the Netherlands. It occured at least once that the Dutch hockey team (I think the ladies, they're the best) had to play against Argentina while the King and Queen (they were still Prince and Princess at that moment) were present (at the Olympics). Queen Máxima was supporting the Dutch, very enthusiasticly. She also told the press that she is 100% for the Netherlands, of course, she should be. She always seems very enthusiastic when supporting th Dutch, so I suppose she really wants to support them..

Well, I don't know if she's "100 % for the Netherlands" (in a Netherlands x Argentina match, I mean), but, even if she were not, she would never say it in public or let it show of course.

From my personal experience with Argentinians, I know they are very nationalistic and I am pretty sure it must be hard for Maxima to let it go.

ashelen 06-17-2014 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mbruno (Post 1676842)
Well, I don't know if she's "100 % for the Netherlands" (in a Netherlands x Argentina match, I mean), but, even if she were not, she would never say it in public or let it show of course.

From my personal experience with Argentinians, I know they are very nationalistic and I am pretty sure it must be hard for Maxima to let it go.

I agree with you 100% she is a Dutch queen she can not say different what ever she would feel in a match like this will be kept in private! it's normal

hana 06-25-2014 04:22 AM

where the family spend the summer vacation

4Pam 07-06-2014 03:24 PM

I wonder if Max or the family in general, will be attending the Netherlands & Argentina match this coming week?

carlota 07-06-2014 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 4Pam (Post 1684159)
I wonder if Max or the family in general, will be attending the Netherlands & Argentina match this coming week?

i'd say there is a chance, although maybe they would only attend if it was a final match now that they are king and queen... but who knows? i am almost sure they will attend if the netherlands gets to the finals!

SLV 07-06-2014 04:10 PM

They are not attending the semi-finals against Argentina according to our national news-service.

ashelen 07-06-2014 10:36 PM

I think is sensitive not to go! eventhought she is the dutch Queen, and she will be for the Dutch to win, I think probably it is not fear to put herself in that situation, she probably feels for Argentina too, and would be not nice for her. let's think the triple A has Argentinean gradnparents and wonder how it is at home! of course we will never know!

kathia_sophia 07-12-2014 06:31 PM

Any news about their summer photosession this year?

Marengo 07-14-2014 03:42 AM

I don't think the date and location has been released yet, but it will probably be soon. The summer holidays in the middle area of the country start this weekend.

---
The king was spotted in a KLM airplane from London to Amsterdam on friday:
Koning reist tussen het volk | Binnenland | Telegraaf.nl

So the king doesn't always use the government airplane. The RVD did ot want to comment on the purpose of the visit to London.

dazzling 07-14-2014 08:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1685880)
I don't think the date and location has been released yet, but it will probably be soon. The summer holidays in the middle area of the country start this weekend.

---
The king was spotted in a KLM airplane from London to Amsterdam on friday:
Koning reist tussen het volk | Binnenland | Telegraaf.nl

So the king doesn't always use the government airplane. The RVD did ot want to comment on the purpose of the visit to London.

Most likely it was a private visit. Im surprised the King doesn't always use government planes. Since they don't want to comment on the visit then using a private plane would've been the best thing since the visit wouldn't be questioned because it wouldn't of been known about.

SLV 07-14-2014 12:08 PM

Queen M does this very often. Every now and then someone tells the papers. A friend of mine was in the same plane a year ago. Heading towards New York. And no, he told us friends but not the papers. ;-)

Marengo 07-14-2014 02:36 PM

IIRC there was some hullaboo about the costs of using the government plane a few years ago, so since this is reducing costs most will think this is a good thing, esp. for private visits.

Marengo 07-17-2014 04:31 AM

According to Billet Bladet, the king and queen will pay a state visit to Denmark between March 16-18 2015. The Danish court did not confirm the dae, though they say that they are debating the issue.

Royalty Online

The last Dutch state visit to Denmark dates from 1984, when Queen Beatrix visited Copenhagen. The last state visit from Denmark to The Netherlands dates from 1975.

Marika86 07-17-2014 05:18 PM

@Mo_Holland Summer Photo call with King and Queen of Netherlands and their children cancelled due to crash of #MH17 154 dutch citizens murdered

Marty91charmed 07-23-2014 09:58 AM

Do Queen Maxima's daughters still have a nanny?:flowers:

Marengo 08-04-2014 06:45 AM

The king bought a speedboat, an Osprey 38 from the Frisian company Wajer & Wajer. The boat is supposed to have costed 800.000 euros and will be used in Greece.

Willem-Alexander koopt peperdure boot | Vaarkrant | Telegraaf.nl
http://www.wajer.nl/boats/osprey-38/photos/

lucien 08-04-2014 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marengo (Post 1692274)
The king bought a speedboat, an Osprey 38 from the Frisian company Wajer & Wajer. The boat is supposed to have costed 800.000 euros and will be used in Greece.

Willem-Alexander koopt peperdure boot | Vaarkrant | Telegraaf.nl
Photos | Wajer & Wajer Yachts

Good!A boost for the economy!!:flowers:

Duc_et_Pair 08-04-2014 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lucien (Post 1692310)
Good!A boost for the economy!!:flowers:

I can predict the diarrhea coming down in the online media and social forums... I am amazed that such a little boat comes with that prize tag and that the King was willing to spend that amount. It is almost an open invitation to anyone to tackle the King and his eh... jet-set lifestyle. There was already grumble that the State had to spend around the same amount for a pied-à-terre for Princess Beatrix. So to see the King or the Princess could gave paid for their own pied-à-terre. I wonder what their priorities are.

:sad:

lucien 08-04-2014 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 1692317)
I can predict the diarrhea coming down in the online media and social forums... I am amazed that such a little boat comes with that prize tag and that the King was willing to spend that amount. It is almost an open invitation to anyone to tackle the King and his eh... jet-set lifestyle. There was already grumble that the State had to spend around the same amount for a pied-à-terre for Princess Beatrix. So to see the King or the Princess could gave paid for their own pied-à-terre. I wonder what their priorities are.

:sad:

Oh really?This is not a priority case.At all.it's a man buying a boat because he can and most will say ;"Oh that's ok!" anyway.Good for him.oh,and the shrapnell fired by "online media and social fora"..?...The social fora are not that social but more a-social,and online media live by the crap of the day.And,most Dutch couldn't care less as halve of them is hollydaying all over the globe,because they can...and the other halve is preparing their umptiest BBQ as it's beautifull weather here and all are in good spirits..So,they certainly do have other and more important priorities,yes!...Just my 5 cents worth....