The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   "Zadok The Priest" at British Royal Weddings? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/zadok-the-priest-at-british-royal-weddings-34843.html)

vkrish 03-20-2013 04:59 AM

"Zadok The Priest" at British Royal Weddings?
 
Hi..
I really loved Zadok The Priest in the background of Fred-Mary's wedding at the bride's entrance.
Do they play this song at British Royal Weddings?
I am interested to know, because it was exclusively commissioned for Coronation,and used religiously at all the Coronations, so I am not sure they will use it at weddings..
Please let me know if it was used at any British/other Royal Weddings (of course other than Fred/Mary), and attach a link, only if possible.
After I get a few answers the mods may gladly merge this with a more relavant thread..

Archduchess Zelia 03-20-2013 05:44 AM

I haven't heard that it's been used at any British royal wedding. Apparently there were people who actually got very offended that Mary and Frederik used it for their wedding. I personally thought it was an odd choice, but it worked very well and it was so beautiful when she walked down the isle.

vkrish 03-20-2013 02:46 PM

Thanks, Zelia. Its interesting to know that a few people were offended. I am a stickler for rules from British point of view, but somehow I didnt dislike it a bit..
I actually hoped they would play it in Will-Kate's wedding in the Sovereign's Procession (Queen and DoE walk up the aisle led by C&C and Dean Of Wm), rather than bride's arrival. It would have been great.
But then, if IIRC, they cut the Sovereign's Procession right at the beginning, to show Kate leaving Goring Hotel and arrive at Abbey..

Ellenpaddy 03-25-2014 08:53 AM

Yesssss it made a wonderful enter acne for mary and frederik wedding

KittyAtlanta 03-25-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkrish (Post 1529550)
Hi..
I really loved Zadok The Priest in the background of Fred-Mary's wedding at the bride's entrance.
Do they play this song at British Royal Weddings?
I am interested to know, because it was exclusively commissioned for Coronation,and used religiously at all the Coronations, so I am not sure they will use it at weddings..
Please let me know if it was used at any British/other Royal Weddings (of course other than Fred/Mary), and attach a link, only if possible.
After I get a few answers the mods may gladly merge this with a more relavant thread..

Zadok the Priest was written in 1727 by G.F. Handel for the coronation of George II. Suddenly (well, not suddenly), it is being used for everything.

MARG 03-26-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1529553)
I haven't heard that it's been used at any British royal wedding. Apparently there were people who actually got very offended that Mary and Frederik used it for their wedding. I personally thought it was an odd choice, but it worked very well and it was so beautiful when she walked down the isle.

I have to admit, I was quite shocked at the processional. Not only was she not a Queen, at that point she wasn't even a Princess. Not withstanding the aforementioned, it is a very beautiful piece and was performed very well once you got past the "clanger'. I can only think the Frederik loved Mary very much and his mother 'indulged' him.

However, as with many things, just because you can doesn't mean you should is definitely a word to live by. Even HM seems only to hear it at Anniversay Celebrations or, occasionally performed as part of a choral concert. Personally I would like to see it remain a wonderful peice irrevocably tied to the BRF and the next grand occasion befitting this peice will be (hopefully) the next coronation.

Meanwhile I still have my stereo.

Ellenpaddy 03-27-2014 10:57 AM

I personally think that Song made a wonderful and beautiful entrance for the wedding mary and frederik....it's not like the British owned the song so no one can use that song ....well that's only opinion, hope there's no one feel offended....:)

Solon 08-24-2014 01:13 PM

I loved it too and thought it was really beautiful for a Mary's entrance music. The only problem is that it has the phrase "Long Live the Queen" in it, which is sort of out of place unless you're the Queen. It certainly had the desired effect since it made Frederik cry and he continued to cry through the entire thing.

Rudolph 08-24-2014 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ellenpaddy (Post 1651673)
I personally think that Song made a wonderful and beautiful entrance for the wedding mary and frederik....it's not like the British owned the song so no one can use that song ....well that's only opinion, hope there's no one feel offended....:)

Well it is undeniably a coronation anthem for British monarchs.
It is one of the four Coronation Anthems that Handel composed for the coronation of King George II in 1727.

The words come from the King James Bible.

1 Kings 1:3840 -- Zadok the Priest, and Nathan the Prophet anointed Solomon King. And all the people rejoiced, and said: God save the King! Long live the King! May the King live for ever, Amen, Allelujah.

Mary actually altered a Bible verse to make it "God save the Queen" for her entrance.

Nordic 08-24-2014 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1697275)
Mary actually altered a Bible verse to make it "God save the Queen" for her entrance.

Mary altered....;)
How do you know Mary had something to do with choosing this particular piece? Maybe Mary and Frederik let Queen Margrethe choose most of the music.

Duc_et_Pair 08-24-2014 02:25 PM

The best music ever written for a (British) royal is the Music For The Funeral Of Queen Mary, written by Henry Purcell for Mary II of Nassau born Stuart, Queen of England, Scotland and Ireland, Princess of Orange and of Nassau (1662-1694). Then comes Zadok The Priest, in my very humble opinion.

cepe 08-24-2014 03:09 PM

coronation of QEII. "Vivat, vivat Regina, Vivat. vivat vivat!

so it wasn't Mary.

MidwestMom 08-24-2014 03:12 PM

I just watched the YouTube video again - twice. Not an unpleasant task. I heard the word 'King' not 'Queen.' It is an unusual choice, but with all the Alleluias, and the Amen, it worked. Besides, I don't think QMII would have allowed such a change. Just my opinion.

MidwestMom 08-24-2014 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1697297)
coronation of QEII. "Vivat, vivat Regina, Vivat. vivat vivat!

so it wasn't Mary.

------------------------------------

That phrase is contained in ''I Was Glad'' by Charles Hubert Parry. It was used as the processional for the wedding of William and Catherine, but the 'Vivats' were omitted. It's a beautiful piece of music. I wonder how they'll handle it at Charles' coronation.

cepe 08-24-2014 03:18 PM

its normally/ originally in Latin. Rex for King; Regina for Queen.

Or did they do it in English?

Rudolph 08-24-2014 03:41 PM

"I was Glad" is also a British Coronation anthem first used for the coronation of William IV in 1831.

Parry's version was composed for the coronation of King Edward VII in 1902, and revised in 1911 for that of King George V. It is based on Psalm 122

The acclamations "Vivat Rex " or "Vivat Regina" with which the King's or Queen's Scholars of Westminster School have traditionally greeted the entrance of the monarch since the coronation of King James II in 1685 are only used with the reigning sovereign.

That's why it was omitted for Catherine's and William's wedding

Rudolph 08-24-2014 04:31 PM

I just wanted to add that I think Kate's choice of music was perfect for all the obvious reasons but I don't quite get the symbolism behind Mary using music so closely associated with the British monarchy

HereditaryPrincess 08-25-2014 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudolph (Post 1697313)
I just wanted to add that I think Kate's choice of music was perfect for all the obvious reasons but I don't quite get the symbolism behind Mary using music so closely associated with the British monarchy

I too thought it was a little strange that Mary and Frederik had Zadok The Priest at their wedding, since it is the British coronation anthem and she is the Crown Princess of Denmark. I think the Prince of Denmark's March would've been more appropriate. Having said that, I adore Zadok The Priest and plan to have it at my own wedding when the time comes (which isn't soon). I think I would only have it up until the first singing part starts though, since I find them more suited to a bride walking up the aisle. But I also like the idea of the church doors opening and the bride walking in the first time "Zadok The Priest and Nathan The Prophet" is sang.

This is off-topic although I wanted to share it here but couldn't find an appropriate thread, so decided that this one would be the best place for it. Anyway, there is a lovely edit of Zadok The Priest on YouTube, which finishes with Come Ye Sons Of Art, another beautiful piece which was written for Mary II's birthday (it is also known as "Ode To Queen Mary" IIRC). You can watch it below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG2UMO6rZd4

polyesco 08-25-2014 12:17 PM

its a little funny how some have just associated Mary with using this music "Mary using" "Mary altered"....
Is it confirmed that Mary choose the music herself and neither Frederik nor the Queen had anything to do with it? I cant imagine the music being used if the Queen did not approve (of course im talking about the Queen of Denmark).

Either way the entrance was beautiful and full of emotion

Rudolph 08-25-2014 12:19 PM

Very nice, thanks for sharing HereditaryPrincess.

I agree The Prince of Denmark's March would have been a better choice for Mary but it was composed by an Englishman, Jeremiah Clarke and the "Prince of Denmark" in this case was Prince George, husband to Queen Anne of Britain so it too has strong connections to the BRF.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:43 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises