The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/)
-   -   "Zadok The Priest" at British Royal Weddings? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f31/zadok-the-priest-at-british-royal-weddings-34843.html)

vkrish 03-20-2013 04:59 AM

"Zadok The Priest" at British Royal Weddings?

Hi..
I really loved Zadok The Priest in the background of Fred-Mary's wedding at the bride's entrance.
Do they play this song at British Royal Weddings?
I am interested to know, because it was exclusively commissioned for Coronation,and used religiously at all the Coronations, so I am not sure they will use it at weddings..
Please let me know if it was used at any British/other Royal Weddings (of course other than Fred/Mary), and attach a link, only if possible.
After I get a few answers the mods may gladly merge this with a more relavant thread..

Archduchess Zelia 03-20-2013 05:44 AM

I haven't heard that it's been used at any British royal wedding. Apparently there were people who actually got very offended that Mary and Frederik used it for their wedding. I personally thought it was an odd choice, but it worked very well and it was so beautiful when she walked down the isle.

vkrish 03-20-2013 02:46 PM

Thanks, Zelia. Its interesting to know that a few people were offended. I am a stickler for rules from British point of view, but somehow I didnt dislike it a bit..
I actually hoped they would play it in Will-Kate's wedding in the Sovereign's Procession (Queen and DoE walk up the aisle led by C&C and Dean Of Wm), rather than bride's arrival. It would have been great.
But then, if IIRC, they cut the Sovereign's Procession right at the beginning, to show Kate leaving Goring Hotel and arrive at Abbey..

Ellenpaddy 03-25-2014 08:53 AM

Yesssss it made a wonderful enter acne for mary and frederik wedding

KittyAtlanta 03-25-2014 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vkrish (Post 1529550)
Hi..
I really loved Zadok The Priest in the background of Fred-Mary's wedding at the bride's entrance.
Do they play this song at British Royal Weddings?
I am interested to know, because it was exclusively commissioned for Coronation,and used religiously at all the Coronations, so I am not sure they will use it at weddings..
Please let me know if it was used at any British/other Royal Weddings (of course other than Fred/Mary), and attach a link, only if possible.
After I get a few answers the mods may gladly merge this with a more relavant thread..

Zadok the Priest was written in 1727 by G.F. Handel for the coronation of George II. Suddenly (well, not suddenly), it is being used for everything.

MARG 03-26-2014 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archduchess Zelia (Post 1529553)
I haven't heard that it's been used at any British royal wedding. Apparently there were people who actually got very offended that Mary and Frederik used it for their wedding. I personally thought it was an odd choice, but it worked very well and it was so beautiful when she walked down the isle.

I have to admit, I was quite shocked at the processional. Not only was she not a Queen, at that point she wasn't even a Princess. Not withstanding the aforementioned, it is a very beautiful piece and was performed very well once you got past the "clanger'. I can only think the Frederik loved Mary very much and his mother 'indulged' him.

However, as with many things, just because you can doesn't mean you should is definitely a word to live by. Even HM seems only to hear it at Anniversay Celebrations or, occasionally performed as part of a choral concert. Personally I would like to see it remain a wonderful peice irrevocably tied to the BRF and the next grand occasion befitting this peice will be (hopefully) the next coronation.

Meanwhile I still have my stereo.

Ellenpaddy 03-27-2014 10:57 AM

I personally think that Song made a wonderful and beautiful entrance for the wedding mary and frederik....it's not like the British owned the song so no one can use that song ....well that's only opinion, hope there's no one feel offended....:)