The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   The Queen and Her Prime Ministers (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/the-queen-and-her-prime-ministers-3372.html)

HMQueenElizabethII 08-24-2004 11:16 AM

The Queen and Her Prime Ministers

1 Attachment(s)
Do you know anything about the relationship between The Queen and Lady Thatcher?
The Queen and Lady Thatcher together at Buckingham Palace in March 2004.

Valuk 08-24-2004 11:46 AM

Well, the fact is, that HM The Queen and Lady Thacher didn't like each other
when Thacher was a Prime Minister. What about now, I don't know. Excelent
reading is Ben Pimlott's THE QUEEN: A BIOGRAPHY OF ELIZABETH II, and there
you will see everything you would like to know about their relationship.

HMQueenElizabethII 08-24-2004 12:01 PM

Oh,thank you Valuk

HMQueenElizabethII 08-24-2004 12:09 PM

Yes,i also heard that The Queen and Thatcher didn't like each other when Thatcher was British PM.And i also heard that Thatcher was the most PM who always hate and criticized the Royal Family.She used to forbidden The Queen to appear at European Community.Today,they sometimes appear in some pictures and smile together.

Valuk 08-24-2004 02:30 PM

I am afraid that PM Tony Blair is the Oueen's worst prime minister .
My opinion is that his government would like to disband the monarchy in UK.
Well, that is only mine opinion...

Valuk 08-24-2004 02:36 PM

The Queen and Her Prime Ministers

I would like to know if someone share my opinion that PM Tony Blair is the
worst prime minister ever served under reign of HM The Queen? I think he
and (his) government would like to disband the monarchy.

timtonruben359 08-24-2004 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valuk
I would like to know if someone share my opinion that PM Tony Blair is the
worst prime minister ever served under reign of HM The Queen? I think he
and (his) government would like to disband the monarchy.

I am not sure he is the worst Prime Minister I personally was not found or Mrs Thatcher and though I am Canadian my father is British so I am allowed to critize British politics ;).

I do think Blair treats Her Majesty with little respect. He has removed some of the Queen's duities without even consulting her. In several cases she has heard about the reforms from the media and not her Prime Minister. Blair claims to be trying to make the Monarchy more relevant, but he's doing it without even asking the Queen what she thinks, which in my opinion is a stupid thing to do considering she has been Queen since before Blair was born.

timtonruben359 08-24-2004 04:22 PM

The relationship between the Queen and Mrs. Thatcher was very formal. The Queen, as it's well documented, was not at all fond of Thatcher's policies and her attitude towards Commonwealth affairs. Thatcher was a devoted Monarchist, but I don't think she was overly fond of the Queen. Some have suggested that Thatcher was jealous of the fact that the Queen always took precedence over her, but I personally don't think that's true.

I think it's more of the fact that their were from two very different worlds and found it very hard to understand each other. The Queen is suspected to much more liberal in her political views while Thatcher was a "blue Tory" to her core and I think the Queen was very concerned over Thatcher's extreme conservative social views.

Elspeth 08-24-2004 05:59 PM

The Prince of Wales spent a fair bit of time being openly critical of government policy in the 1980s, which the Queen was unable to do, but Mrs Thatcher's attitude toward the Commonwealth must have been a problem for the Queen (and probably vice versa). Things don't seem to have improved much, though, with Tony Blair increasingly behaving as though the monarchy is a total irrelevance and Diana was the only worthwhile royal.

I agree with the suggestion to read Ben Pimlott's biography of the Queen for a good account of her relationships with her senior politicians and the constitutional side of her position.

Elspeth 08-24-2004 06:09 PM

Well, in terms of his attitude to the monarchy, there don't seem to have been many worse ones (although Mrs Thatcher did run him close). He seems to be trying to marginalise the Queen in one area which most Prime Ministers saw as a strength of a constitutional monarchy, which is consultation about political and constitutional matters. It's almost as if he's decided that now the country has him, it doesn't need a head of state too, or at least it only needs a decorative and feel-good head of state rather than one that actually does things.

wymanda 08-24-2004 09:44 PM

Hopefully we will get rid of him and that common wife of his at the next election!

A.C.C. 08-24-2004 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda
Hopefully we will get rid of him and that common wife of his at the next election!

Cherie is quite annoying, especially when she does that little bounce thing of hers that she wants to be passed off as a curtsey when meeting The Queen. I do hope she (Cherie) doesn't get her hands on Forbes Magazine which claims she is the "1st Lady" of the UK and that she is more powerful than Her Majesty. Mr. Blair on the other hand claims to be very respectful and reverant to The Queen, consulting Her about things, but his actions have proved other wise. Yet when Mr. Blair needs The Queen for something (like smoothing over relations with European Allies), he is quick to send Her on an official visit.

sara1981 08-24-2004 10:36 PM

PM Tony Blair and his wife really adores of HM Queen lots when Tony Blair become PM in 1997 but i think HM Queen like PM Tony Blair than former Prime minister like John Major or Margaret Thacters.

im not sure PM's wife not curtsey at HM Queen but PM Tony Blair bow at HM Queen i think so!

Sara Boyce

HMQueenElizabethII 08-25-2004 05:22 AM

Yes,i also think that Blair is not a perfect PM.I think that the best one during The Queen's reign is Winston Churchill.He had done a lot of thing for UK and he also helped The Queen so much in her early years.Some books,they call Winston like"Godfather" of The Queen.But some Pm after Winston,i think that some of them made bad relationship with The Queen.Thatcher,she always criticize The Royal Family when she was PM.She criticized about Charles and Diana's marriage,she criticized that Prince Edward was a boy...I have read from magazine.Poor our Gracious Queen!There were some bad PM during her reign.

HMQueenElizabethII 08-25-2004 05:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sara1981
PM Tony Blair and his wife really adores of HM Queen lots when Tony Blair become PM in 1997 but i think HM Queen like PM Tony Blair than former Prime minister like John Major or Margaret Thacters.

im not sure PM's wife not curtsey at HM Queen but PM Tony Blair bow at HM Queen i think so!

Sara Boyce

No!Sara.In some books and magazine i had read,they told that The Queen had good relation with John Major better than Thatcher.Thatcher is the most PM during The Queen's reign who always criticized The Royal Family and made bad relation with The Queen.

tiaraprin 08-25-2004 02:41 PM

HM and Baroness Thatcher

Her Majesty supposedly used to joke about how low Margaret Thatcher would curtsy to her--she thought it hilarious!!

Her Majesty and the Now Baroness Thatcher did not get along. The Queen had her press secretary leak somethings out in the 1980's about her political views and how they clashed with Baroness Thatcher. That was a very unprecedented step for the Queen to take, but I think she wanted the country to know she didn't agree with Thatcher.

And yes it is true that Thatcher put Charles in his place. She was quite angry with what she saw as his "interference". I liked Charles' butting in--for once I agreed with him. Alas, royals must stay politically neutral.

sara1981 08-25-2004 06:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HMQueenElizabethII
No!Sara.In some books and magazine i had read,they told that The Queen had good relation with John Major better than Thatcher.Thatcher is the most PM during The Queen's reign who always criticized The Royal Family and made bad relation with The Queen.

i understand your posts but you're right about but im wrong with my posts! i think John Major been good relationship with HM when John Major was PM in 1990's but my mistakes!

Sara Boyce

grecka 08-25-2004 06:52 PM

The fact is he should have kept to his own business. As an American, and a liberal one, I must admit, I personally regard Ms. Thatcher as the best British prime minister aside from Churchill and Pitt. Remember it was she who really attempted, quite successfully to resurrect something of Britain's former imperial glory. She made the world really respect Britain again and built ties to Europe more than any other pm.

A.C.C. 08-25-2004 07:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by grecka
The fact is he should have kept to his own business. As an American, and a liberal one, I must admit, I personally regard Ms. Thatcher as the best British prime minister aside from Churchill and Pitt. Remember it was she who really attempted, quite successfully to resurrect something of Britain's former imperial glory. She made the world really respect Britain again and built ties to Europe more than any other pm.

I understand where you are coming from with your post, but you must understand that even though Thatcher tried to "resurrect something of Britain's past imperial glory," she was not very well liked within the Commonwealth which is composed of the countries on which Britain's past Imperial power was formed. Thatcher even once tried to keep The Queen from attending a commonwealth conference due to "security reasons." The conference was in an African country where The Queen is highly regarded, and The Queen ingnored Mrs. Thatcher and went as She should have because She is head of the commonwealth. In an interview Mrs. Thatcher did on The Queen, she said she was very relieved The Queen went because "She knew everbody."

P.S. no one can do a curtsey like Baroness Thatcher can!

Julian 08-26-2004 06:31 PM

The documentary I watched made about the Queen and her PM's at the time of the Golden Jubilee (and just rebroadcast for about the third time where I live) states that the Queen couldn't "make her out", i.e., couldn't understand her mindset. "Does she always sit on the edge of her chair like that?" the Queen is also said to have remarked about the Iron Lady.

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.C.C.
P.S. no one can do a curtsey like Baroness Thatcher can!

Isn't that fortunate, she would put the char ladies at BP out of work if everyone was to imitate that floor-wiping bum curtsey of hers.