The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Electronic Domain (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/)
-   -   "Mary Queen Of Scots" (2013) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f220/mary-queen-of-scots-2013-a-33524.html)

Lenora 08-13-2012 04:35 AM

"Mary Queen Of Scots" (2013)
 
Saoirse Ronan To Star In "Mary Queen Of Scots"

The Irish actress has signed on to play the title role in Mary Queen of Scots, the new film from screenwriter Michael Hirst.
While the search is still on for a director, Hirst brings plenty of experience to the project, having written both Elizabeth and Elizabeth: The Golden Age as well as episodes of television shows such as The Tudors and Camelot.

Working Title, which recently produced Wright's Anna Karenina is producing the film; it is aiming to go into production next year.

Saoirse Ronan To Star In Mary Queen Of Scots - CinemaBlend.com
.

Duchessmary 08-13-2012 11:11 AM

Thank you for sharing! How exciting. I'm afraid I'm not familiar with this particular actress, but I'm looking forward to seeing Mary's story updated.
:biggrin:

NGalitzine 08-13-2012 11:21 AM

Hopefully they will attempt to maintain some semblance of historical accuracy which was not alwasy the case with The Tudors.

An Ard Ri 08-17-2012 05:35 AM

Exciting news,Saoirse Ronan is an 18 yr old Irish-American actress best known for her roles in Atonement,The Lovely Bones,The Way Back and Hanna.

As Saoirse is only 18,I'm hoping that the movie will focus on Mary's early reign and perhaps her time in France too!

Artemisia 08-17-2012 10:39 AM

:previous:
I hope so as well.
Mary's later years (imprisonment in England and subsequent execution) are pretty well known, but there is little focus on her early years - ascension to the Throne pretty much immediately after her birth, life in France, marriage proposals and why the Dauphin was chosen over the Prince of Wales, and other facts from her early life.

If a quality production and no over the top Holywoodisation, it should be an interesting film indeed.

An Ard Ri 08-18-2012 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemisia (Post 1452701)
:previous:
I hope so as well.
Mary's later years (imprisonment in England and subsequent execution) are pretty well known, but there is little focus on her early years - ascension to the Throne pretty much immediately after her birth, life in France, marriage proposals and why the Dauphin was chosen over the Prince of Wales, and other facts from her early life.

If a quality production and no over the top Holywoodisation, it should be an interesting film indeed.

Maybe we might see Catherine de Médicis on the big screen and perhaps Marie de Guise?

Artemisia 08-18-2012 02:33 PM

:previous:
That would be fantastic! And maybe the household in France when Mary lived there, and the royal kids (the Dauphin, future Henry III, Charles IX, and Duke of Anjou, Marguerite of Navare, Princess Elizabeth, Princess Claude)... I'm expecting too much, ain't I? :smile: ;)

An Ard Ri 08-18-2012 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemisia (Post 1452954)
:previous:
That would be fantastic! And maybe the household in France when Mary lived there, and the royal kids (the Dauphin, future Henry III, Charles IX, and Duke of Anjou, Marguerite of Navare, Princess Elizabeth, Princess Claude)... I'm expecting too much,ain't I? :smile: ;)

Ha,ha hope we won't be disappointed too much!

cepe 08-18-2012 05:36 PM

it is one of the most fascinating stories in british history but I suspect that they will not get it right. I think the emphasis will be on a sexy queen and setting out the Scots being murdered by the English. I hope they realise that Mary would not have had a Scottish accent but I doubt that. It will be The Tudors all over again.

Please, please prove me wrong!

Artemisia 08-18-2012 05:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cepe (Post 1452987)
it is one of the most fascinating stories in british history but I suspect that they will not get it right. I think the emphasis will be on a sexy queen and setting out the Scots being murdered by the English. I hope they realise that Mary would not have had a Scottish accent but I doubt that. It will be The Tudors all over again.
Please, please prove me wrong!

Urgh, NOT The Tudors, please! I watch just one single episode, and it was one too many.
I do fear Hollywood's usual anti-English sentiments will prevail as well (Braveheart or Patriot, anyone?).
However, the film appears to be focusing on Mary's early life (at least, based on Saoirse Ronan's age), so hopefully, they'll be more drama and less romance.

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1452956)
Ha,ha hope we won't be disappointed too much!

Fingers crossed. :smile:
Unfortunately, I'm one of those who hate historical inaccuracies (makes me a total fun killer) and I fear that in that respect there will be a disappointment all right.

XeniaCasaraghi 08-18-2012 07:50 PM

Did someone say this is by the same guy who did Elizabeth The Golden Age? Mary was ugly, guilty of trying to kill Elizabeth AND had a Scottish accent. Get ready to he disappointed people.

An Ard Ri 08-18-2012 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemisia (Post 1452989)
Unfortunately, I'm one of those who hate historical inaccuracies (makes me a total fun killer) and I fear that in that respect there will be a disappointment all right.

I'm one of those too! I went to 'Elizabeth' with several family members back in 1998 & spent most of the rest of the night trying to convince them that Sir Francis Walsingham did not murder Mary of Guise :biggrin:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises