The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   2012 London Olympics (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f274/)
-   -   A reception for members of the IOC at Buckingham Palace - 23 July 2012 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f274/a-reception-for-members-of-the-ioc-at-buckingham-palace-23-july-2012-a-33423.html)

Artemisia 07-23-2012 08:27 AM

A reception for members of the IOC at Buckingham Palace - 23 July 2012

I thought we could have a thread for the reception for members of the International Olympic Committee at Buckingham Palace today.

So far, the Queen, the Duke of Edinburgh, Princess Anne, The Duke and Duchess of Gloucester, and Princess Alexandra are confirmed to attend.
I think it's likely Prince William, Kate and/or Prince Harry will attend as well, given their roles as Ambassadors.

EIIR 07-23-2012 08:42 AM

I don't think William, Kate and Harry will attend. They're ambassadors for Team GB, as opposed to the Olympics more generally. I think with such a large turnout of royals already, they'll not be needed at this particular event. I could be wrong, though.

Lumutqueen 07-23-2012 03:09 PM

Foreign royals at tonight's palace reception included Prince Albert and Charlene, Crown Prince Frederik, and Holland's Prince of Orange. Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg was also at Buckingham Palace tonight.

The Queen was given her own Olympic gold, silver and bronze medals tonight.

Artemisia 07-23-2012 03:31 PM

- Queen Elizabeth
- The Queen was presented with a set of medals
- Queen Elizabeth II and President of the IOC Count Jacques Rogge

Foreign Royals
- Grand Duke Henri of Luxembourg
- Crown Prince Frederik
- Princess Charlene
- Prince Albert

- British Coat of Arms and Olympic Rings

Gallery from Getty
Gallery from Daylife

iceflower 07-23-2012 03:33 PM

Here's a gallery of the reception today:

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Hosts A Reception For Members Of The International Olympic Committee **

Artemisia 07-23-2012 03:37 PM

No pictures of Prince Willem-Alexander of any of the British Royals present, apart from the Queen.
Really like the way Royal Coat of Arms and Olympic Rings look together.

iceflower 07-23-2012 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemisia (Post 1444235)
No pictures of Prince Willem-Alexander of any of the British Royals present, apart from the Queen.
Really like the way Royal Coat of Arms and Olympic Rings look together.

You can see the Duke of Gloucester and Princess Anne in the gallery I've posted.

Besides that King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie were also present.

xavi83 07-23-2012 04:04 PM

I wonder why princess haya did not attend !

Artemisia 07-23-2012 05:11 PM

:previous:
She might have attended but we just don't have pictures of her at the moment. The Prince of Orange was there as well, but no pictures of him either.

Apparently, after the reception, members of the IOC (including foreign and some of the British royals) moved to the Royal Opera House in Covent Garden for the opening ceremony of the 124th IOC Session.

An Ard Ri 07-23-2012 05:26 PM

There's a short video clip of Her Majesty The Queen and His Royal Highness Prince Philip.

Video: London 2012 Olympics: Queen hosts reception for IOC members - Telegraph

EIIR 07-23-2012 05:50 PM

I love the symbolism of the coat of arms, the thrones and the Olympic rings in the background. Whomever set that up in BP obviously understands the importance of producing an image that sums the event up perfectly.