The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   2012 London Olympics (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f274/)
-   -   Events and Athletes Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f274/events-and-athletes-discussion-33407.html)

Warren 07-18-2012 09:04 AM

Events and Athletes Discussion
 

JessRulz 07-28-2012 08:24 AM

China won the first gold medal of the Games, in the women's 10m Air Rifle. Yi Siling beat the Polish competitor and a fellow Chinese compatriot to win the event.
http://www.london2012.com/news/artic...dal-games.html

LadyFinn 07-28-2012 11:02 AM

First doging case, Albanian weightlifter Hysen Pulaku became the first athlete to be ejected from the Olympics after testing positive for an anabolic steroid.
Albanian Pulaku becomes first doping cheat | Reuters

A big disappointment for the british team in Cycling/Men's road, no medals for Wiggins or Cavendish. The gold medalist is Alexandre Vinokurov, Kazakhstan.

Pranter 07-28-2012 11:18 AM

I watched about 90 percent of the cycling....surprised about the Brits losing, wonder what happened.


LaRae

Frelinghighness 07-28-2012 11:23 AM

Am so glad to see that Phelps dodges the super stupid and embarassing questions the reporters continually ask him

Pranter 07-28-2012 11:26 AM

I think he'd be smarter to just avoid them altogether....of course they'd probably freak out and pursue him even further because he has no right to privacy from their viewpoint.


LaRae

Warren 07-28-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 1446505)
..surprised about the Brits losing, wonder what happened.

The peleton (which included Wiggins and Cavendish) let the breakaway get too far in front. The Australian TV commentators were repeatedly saying they had left it too late when they were still 18 kms out from the finish line and had become agitated about the breakaway's advantage some time before that.

Frelinghighness 07-28-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pranter (Post 1446508)
I think he'd be smarter to just avoid them altogether....of course they'd probably freak out and pursue him even further because he has no right to privacy from their viewpoint.


LaRae

He can't avoid them. He's already roundly criticized for being aloof. His teammates routinely "box him in" if he is going anywhere in public to protect him.

Al_bina 07-28-2012 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LadyFinn (Post 1446501)
A big disappointment for the british team in Cycling/Men's road, no medals for Wiggins or Cavendish. The gold medalist is Alexandre Vinokurov, Kazakhstan.

It is nice to see Mr.Vinokirov winning a gold medal.

Warren 07-28-2012 11:51 AM

Yes indeed, Alexander Vinokurov thoroughly deserved his gold medal. :star:

principessa 07-28-2012 12:30 PM

I am very pleased of the German rowing team and very surprised by the German swimming team.

Pranter 07-28-2012 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 1446515)
The peleton (which included Wiggins and Cavendish) let the breakaway get too far in front. The Australian TV commentators were repeatedly saying they had left it too late when they were still 18 kms out from the finish line and had become agitated about the breakaway's advantage some time before that.

I wondered about that early on hours before, there was such a gap between the group of front riders and the big group but the commentators here kept talking like it was no big deal. I wonder did they underestimate that 9 times around section...might of been more taxing than they thought.


LaRae

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frelinghighness (Post 1446516)
He can't avoid them. He's already roundly criticized for being aloof. His teammates routinely "box him in" if he is going anywhere in public to protect him.

The media is impossible to please.


LaRae

NGalitzine 07-28-2012 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren (Post 1446519)
Yes indeed, Alexander Vinokurov thoroughly deserved his gold medal. :star:

Borat will be so happy.:lol:

blauerengel 07-28-2012 01:03 PM

I was happy that unexpected athletes won the cycling competition!Especially keeping in mind that Vinokurow is already 38 years old it was a fantastic performance,he really deserves the medal.It seems as if the other teams slightly underestimated the difficulty and length of the route.

Danish_Royalist 07-28-2012 01:25 PM

I missed most of the early competitions because of work, but when I got home, I saw highlights of cycling. Well done to Denmark's Jakob Fuglsang for all his hard work in the race.
Denmark's Women Handball team won against Sweden. HM Queen Margrethe PC Henrik & Princess Benedikte was spectators :)
CP Frederik & CP Mary were watching swimming and saw Denmark's Jeanette Ottesen Gray reached 3rd place in her heat and advancing to the semifinal. :D

Viv 07-28-2012 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al_bina (Post 1446518)
It is nice to see Mr.Vinokirov winning a gold medal.

Did he look happy! Congratulations on the Kazakh gold medal, Al_Bina :flowers:!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Danish_Royalist (Post 1446538)
Denmark's Women Handball team won against Sweden.

Great, especially because we were the underdogs!
Viv

LadyFinn 07-28-2012 01:36 PM

Roger Federer hadn't it easy on the first round, he won Alejandro Falla from Colombia 2-1 (6-3, 5-7, 6-3).
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...hX4Fz/x610.jpg
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/...OLbMW/610x.jpg

PrincessKaimi 07-28-2012 02:06 PM

Before the race, Cavendish bragged that if the gap was less than 3 minutes, he'd have "no problem" closing it up - that's not what happened. Now, after the race, the British team is blaming other teams for attempting to block them (Germans in particular). I think that many of the teams have gotten too dependent on radios (which were not allowed) and have forgotten how to do on-the-road strategizing.

Sitting at home, we could all see how strong the leaders were and how big the gap, but Cavendish not only didn't make his chase, he came in 29th. Not even close.

An American, Taylor Phinney somewhat unexpectedly missed on the Bronze (fourth place).

LadyFinn 07-28-2012 02:39 PM

What a swim from Ryan Lochte! He won Michael Phelps with over 4 seconds.

Al_bina 07-28-2012 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGalitzine (Post 1446528)
Borat will be so happy.:lol:

It is an odd and rude statement to make every time Kazakstani sporstmen/women win. Perhaps it is the so called English humour I fail to understand.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:28 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises