The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Current Events Archive (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/)
-   -   Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f166/queen-elizabeth-and-the-duke-of-edinburgh-current-events-24-june-2012-april-2013-a-33171.html)

Zonk 06-03-2012 09:00 AM

Queen Elizabeth and the Duke of Edinburgh Current Events 24: June 2012-April 2013

Welcome to part 25 of the current events of

The Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh

commencing June 3 2012

Part 24 covering the period July 2011 to June 2, 2012 can be found here http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...1-a-31419.html .

iceflower 06-06-2012 10:23 AM

Queen Elizabeth received New Zealand's Prime Minister John Key at Buckingham Palace today, June 6, and later attended a Commonwealth luncheon at Marlborough House.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** Pic 3 ** daylife gallery ** zimbio **

** dailymail: How does she do it? Fifth day of Jubilee celebrations and the Queen is STILL going strong **

Tabby 06-06-2012 03:25 PM

The Telegraph published this very nice article about the Queen's Consort:

Duke of Edinburgh: right man for the job - Telegraph

It's evident that the D of E has truly been the Queen's "strength and stay" these many years. I hope HRH is better soon!

wbenson 06-07-2012 03:50 AM

Prince Philip's honour shows 'NZ aspect' of monarchy | NATIONAL News

Prince Philip, along with filmmaker Sir Peter Jackson, opera diva Dame Malvina Major and distinguished public servant Dame Margaret Bazley, has been made an additional member to the Order of New Zealand in the Queen's Birthday and Diamond Jubilee Honours list.

marine2109 06-09-2012 06:02 PM

Quote:

Britain's Queen Elizabeth II during a reception with Commonwealth Nations Heads of Government and representatives of the Commonwealth nations
London, England - 06.06.12
WENN Photo Library - Search Results

Warren 06-11-2012 11:00 AM

Sydney Morning Herald 10 June 2012
Read more: Artist jubilant when the Queen donned robes and diamonds

Artist jubilant when the Queen donned robes and diamonds
"she was shimmering"

excerpts

When the Australian painter Ralph Heimans walked through the gates of Buckingham Palace, he was armed with just one guarantee: 60 minutes with the Queen to capture her diamond jubilee portrait. ''My concept, the context I wanted to place her in for this portrait, is unusual because it is outside the palace. We'd had a hint, an email with an informal OK 10 days before, so I had to race around and use that time to visit sites and find exactly the right setting."

The setting chosen for the portrait to celebrate the Queen's 60 years on the throne is top secret: all will be unveiled to the public in the National Portrait Gallery in Canberra in October. What is known is that his canvas measures 3.2 x 2.5 metres. He hinted that the portrait would explore the dynamic between the Queen's public role and "the very human and personal part". The setting was of special significance to her diamond jubilee, he said.

"We had also asked if the Queen could wear specific robes but we were told that due to her commitments and the time required, this might not be possible,'' he said. ''But when she arrived it was wonderful; she had gone to the effort, there were two pages carrying the robes and she was wearing Queen Victoria's diamonds. I was not expecting to be so stunned, she was shimmering … The theatre of the entry was unforgettable.

"We stood at one end of the corridor and it took her five minutes to walk down, the light was shining beautifully through the windows and every time she took a step the light shone off the diamonds … The anticipation as she came closer and closer, it was quite a dramatic entrance and nothing like it have I ever seen."

CarolynHarris 06-11-2012 04:32 PM

Prince Philip at 91 and the historical role of a reigning Queen's husband

Prince Philip at 91 and the Historical Role of a Reigning Queen’s Consort | Carolyn Harris: Royal Historian

roseroyal 06-11-2012 06:43 PM

I am sure this is the wrong place to post this- feel free to move it to the correct spot- but I have a ?!
Has the Queen's birthday honors list been published yet? Where does one go to take a look?

Artemisia 06-11-2012 06:57 PM

Duke of Edinburgh to attend second River Thames pageant despite ending up in hospital after standing in the cold rain for several hours at the last water parade
Quote:

The Duke of Edinburgh plans to be by the Queen's side at a second river Thames pageant later this month despite ending up in hospital after the last water-themed event to celebrate her Diamond Jubilee. Prince Philip fell ill with a bladder infection and was in hospital for five nights after standing in the cold rain for more than four hours during a parade of more than 1,000 boats along the River Thames in London. It was Prince Philip - himself a brave young wartime naval officer - who particularly wanted a water-borne tribute to his wife of 64 years.

Lumutqueen 06-12-2012 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseroyal
I am sure this is the wrong place to post this- feel free to move it to the correct spot- but I have a ?!
Has the Queen's birthday honors list been published yet? Where does one go to take a look?

I don't think it's been published in full because it won't be released until her birthday this Saturday. A few names have been bounced around, Kate Winslet and Gary Barlow for one :)

EIIR 06-12-2012 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseroyal (Post 1429213)

You might have seen some reports on people receiving an honour in the Queen's Birthday list in Australia. The Queen's birthday was celebrated on Monday 11 June (it's always the 2nd Monday in June) in almost all of Australia with a national holiday and the release of the Australian version of the Queen's Birthday honours list.

One or two names have also leaked from the UK version which will be released on her official birthday in the UK which is the same day as Trooping the Colour is held (16th June this year); Gary Barlow and Kate Winslet are apparently among the recipients.

dbarn67 06-14-2012 08:30 AM

QE2 in Hithin, England today.

http://i46.tinypic.com/5p3mf.jpg

http://i49.tinypic.com/s2d6aa.jpg

JACKDRAKE 06-14-2012 08:50 AM

Looks like a nice day out for everyone

Artemisia 06-14-2012 09:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarn67

Some more pictures:

- Queen Elizabeth is presented flowers from two little girls (perfect curtsies too)
- Queen Elizabeth (wonder what is she looking at)
- The Queen

Gallery from Daylife.

Zonk 06-14-2012 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseroyal (Post 1429213)

I don't believe its been published as of yet, but you can check out this thread http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...ad-8379-5.html .

Artemisia 06-14-2012 11:27 AM

The Queen greeted by thousands of fans in Hertfordshire as she goes solo on day two of Diamond Jubilee tour
Quote:

She might not have been flanked by Prince William and the Duchess of Cambridge as she was yesterday, but the Queen attracted an equally impressive turnout as she travelled alone to the county of Hertfordshire today. Opting for a visible lilac coat and floral print dress for day two of the Diamond Jubilee tour the monarch was greeted by thousands of cheering fans as she arrived in the market town of Hitchin, where many had stood waiting since the early hours of the morning. Crowds stood six or seven deep waving Union Flags and cheering as she passed by shortly before midday, while hundreds of pupils from 24 schools in the area had been bussed in specially for the visit.

LadyGabrielle 06-14-2012 02:14 PM

She looks lovely in lavender. Too bad the Duke wasnt with her, its so nice to see them together. She looks happy though.

EIIR 06-14-2012 02:41 PM

What an amazing turnout in Hitchin today. HM must be so gratified with the tremendously warm welcome she receives everywhere she goes. Some might have thought that now the big national Jubilee events have been and gone the public would lose interest, but clearly not.

royalistbert 06-14-2012 04:03 PM

Nice to see the Queen using the Royal Train! :flowers:

EIIR 06-14-2012 04:13 PM

I'm counting down the moments until the inevitable article in the Guardian or Independent on how much the Royal Train costs per outing though, Bert. You know it'll come eventually.

Daria_S 06-14-2012 04:28 PM

It's always delightful to see the big crowds wherever Her Majesty visits. It's obvious that she's loved and respected by the nation, and as always, I love seeing her with children. She literally lights up when greeted by them.

Lumutqueen 06-15-2012 02:12 PM

Duke of Edinburgh's first official engagement since falling ill during Queen's Jubilee | Mail Online

VictoriaB 06-15-2012 04:25 PM

Thank you.

Good to see the Duke back. I don't think he's going to let anything slow him down too much no matter what his doctors tell him.

AdmirerUS 06-16-2012 11:12 AM

The Duke is such a support! I went to look at the Zimbio photos of the Trooping of the Colors and there are several lovely photos of Her Majesty and the DOE chatting. (See below)

Can anyone tell me if it is usual for Prince Andrew to not be in military dress for this occasion? The wide balcony shots show him off to Her Majesty's right in Morning Coat (I think that's what it is called).

Queen Elizabeth II Photos - Trooping The Colour - Zimbio

Lumutqueen 06-16-2012 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdmirerUS (Post 1431230)
Can anyone tell me if it is usual for Prince Andrew to not be in military dress for this occasion? The wide balcony shots show him off to Her Majesty's right in Morning Coat (I think that's what it is called).

It is usual, I don't think he's ever worn military dress to this event. He wears a morning coat (you were right :smile:) and he rides in the carriage with his daughters. :flowers:

Iluvbertie 06-16-2012 07:31 PM

Andrew doesn't wear military uniform for this occasion because he doesn't hold any relevant army rank. He only has rank in the navy and so doesn't participate in an army event.

If they had had a Spithead review - as has happened at other major royal events but can't know due to the shrinking size of the RN - he would have been in naval uniform as he was when he attended the church service last week to commemorate the 30th anniversary of the Falklands War.

Charles, William, Ann, Edward and The Duke of Kent ride because they hold the ranks they do in the army - colonels and above (both Charles and the Duke of Kent hold the rank of Field Marshal - as does Philip of course).

iceflower 06-17-2012 05:11 PM

Queen Elizabeth has attended The Cartier Queen's Cup Final at Guards Polo Club in Egham on June 17, 2012.

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Cartier Queen's Cup Final **

** mirror.co.uk: The Queen and eye: Monarch spotted with extremely bloodshot eye... but is in "fine fettle" **

MichelleQ2 06-17-2012 05:32 PM

Prince Phillip is attending as well.... pic 35 in the Zimbio Gallery

EIIR 06-17-2012 05:48 PM

Is that a burst blood vessel in the Queen's eye? Did anyone notice if she had it yesterday?

dbarn67 06-17-2012 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EIIR (Post 1431796)
Is that a burst blood vessel in the Queen's eye? Did anyone notice if she had it yesterday?

I think it's a burst blood vessel.

http://i47.tinypic.com/29b0mrm.jpg

EIIR 06-17-2012 06:14 PM

I thought so, dbarn67, thanks. I think HM's had this problem a couple of times before. It's one of those things that looks awful but hopefully it's not caused by a more serious problem.

Thena 06-17-2012 06:26 PM

So much for HM and the DoE getting some rest after Trooping the Colour. :ermm:

Baroness of Books 06-17-2012 07:03 PM

I believe it's why she's wearing tinted glasses in photos at her fashion thread.

Iluvbertie 06-17-2012 08:21 PM

This is nothing serious, unless it happens really frequently.

Al_bina 06-18-2012 02:48 PM

Spletnik -Queen Elisabeth II and Ms. Davy attended the polo game

scooter 06-18-2012 11:00 PM

Yikes, she's back! Remember the story about H saying to Chelsea 'you're next'....

mrswhitham 06-20-2012 04:21 PM

Does anyone know what causes the dark areas around Prince Philip's eyes?

wbenson 06-21-2012 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mrswhitham (Post 1433216)
Does anyone know what causes the dark areas around Prince Philip's eyes?

They're caused by blood vessels under the skin. Skin often becomes more translucent with aging, and the skin in that area is already pretty thin. Some people are just more susceptible than others to getting them, too; Prince Philip's were already starting to appear by 1992, and I believe his mother also had them.

Lumutqueen 06-22-2012 01:18 PM

The Queen to meet Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness in first time she shakes hands with a senior figure from the IRA | Mail Online

EIIR 06-22-2012 01:26 PM

I'm sure the Queen can't wait to meet a former member of the terrorist group who killed her cousin. An unfortunate part of the role of head of state - having to be polite to merciless murderers and terrorists.

Lumutqueen 06-22-2012 01:27 PM

She doesn't have to meet him, Sinn Fein only decided to let the meeting go ahead this morning.

EIIR 06-22-2012 01:40 PM

There's no way she can refuse to meet him. Sinn Fein have made themselves look like petulant children by refusing to even be in the same room as the Queen. It's the Queen who's never had the option here.

Lumutqueen 06-22-2012 01:42 PM

But she has one now, it is by Sinn Fein's invitation that this handshake will go ahead. I see no problem in her refusing to shake hands with him. There are easier ways to solve problems than shaking hands with the devil.

EIIR 06-22-2012 02:33 PM

No, as joint Patron of Cooperation Ireland, the Queen was scheduled to attend this event with the President of the Republic of Ireland; it's Sinn Fein who have accepted the invitation.

The Queen would never refuse to shake his hand, he is unfortunately the Deputy First Minister and an MP. The Queen is too gracious and polite to risk offending people. I just hope HM remembers to wear her gloves that day so she doesn't actually have to press the flesh of an evil man.

Erin9 06-22-2012 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EIIR (Post 1434079)
No, as joint Patron of Cooperation Ireland, the Queen was scheduled to attend this event with the President of the Republic of Ireland; it's Sinn Fein who have accepted the invitation.

The Queen would never refuse to shake his hand, he is unfortunately the Deputy First Minister and an MP. The Queen is too gracious and polite to risk offending people. I just hope HM remembers to wear her gloves that day so she doesn't actually have to press the flesh of an evil man.

To make sure I'm clear: Ireland elected a former terrorist member as a MP? Seriously?

How awful that she has to shake hands with him.

EIIR 06-22-2012 03:23 PM

Yes, and he's not the only one. He came quite close to being elected President of the Republic of Ireland last year. He was a member of the same group who murdered Earl Mountbatton and his 14 year old grandson, among others.

You can read more about him here:

Martin McGuinness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

kakieanne 06-22-2012 04:13 PM

How wonderful that this year, of all years, HM's horse won a race at the Derby. Loved the pictures of the DoE presenting the trophy to her.

Erin9 06-22-2012 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EIIR (Post 1434111)
Yes, and he's not the only one. He came quite close to being elected President of the Republic of Ireland last year. He was a member of the same group who murdered Earl Mountbatton and his 14 year old grandson, among others.

You can read more about him here:

Martin McGuinness - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Ugh. I'm speechless. I just don't understand that at all.

LadyGabrielle 06-22-2012 05:41 PM

Neither do I. This is absolutely terrible. Its unfortunate that she couldnt refuse. I think it is disrespectful for a killer to shake the hand of the Queen. Too bad she isnt able to have him beheaded along with others. Just my opinion. :)

cepe 06-22-2012 06:00 PM

This may seem like splitting hairs but she is meeting McGuinness as Deputy First Minister of Northern Ireland, not as a member of Sinn Fein per se. What I'm saying is that it is expected that she would meet the Deputy First Minister regardless of that person's politics. When she agreed to be joint Patron (with the President of the Irish Republic) of Co-operation Ireland, she must have known where it would lead.

The event in NI was always going to happen at part of the Jubilee, but Sinn Fein had to decide whether they would participate. they got very bad press when they refused to meet her on her state visit to the Republic last year.

She is visiting part of the Uk, meeting the local government and Martin McGuinness is part of that.

It needs to happen. We trade and have partnerships with former enemies; former "rebels" are now well respected international figures; and former allies are now enemies. Nothing stands still.

I am speaking as someone with close links with the British Army, knowing people who died. Let's move on.

EIIR 06-22-2012 06:47 PM

With respect, those of us who live with this issue each and every day will only be able to truly move on when people like McGuiness and his ilk are no longer in the picture. He may be Deputy First Minister, but he was also a member of a terrorist organisation than killed many civilians as well as police and soldiers. He continues to refuse to admit that that was wrong, nor that he regrets his part in it. My father still has shrapnel in his body, as well as numerous scars, as a result of the actions of him and his friends.

Of course the Queen will meet him in his role as Deputy First Minister. It's just unfortunate that the Queen has been put in the position of having to be polite to this man at all.

cepe 06-22-2012 07:02 PM

I'm truly sorry EIIR for what has happened. I don't agree with the man's politics but I don't want to live in or with the past.

I want peace for the future. As I'm sure you do too. Let's agree on that.

RoyalistRiley 06-22-2012 08:22 PM

While I have absolutely no respect for the past activities of Mr McGuiness and think that it is an absolute joke to say, as the Australian Broadcasting Corporation claims this morning, that "Mr [Gerry] Adams, alongside Mr McGuinness, helped end the years of sectarian violence and gave Catholics an equal voice in a power-sharing government with former Protestant foes", I think that such a meeting is inevitable as at the end of the day McGuinness is a democratically elected of the Northern Irish Government/Executive/whatever its called (I don't know the ins-and-outs of devolution). I certainly look forward to seeing their facial expressions when they shake hands as I'm guessing it will probably be difficult for the Queen.

Artemisia 06-22-2012 08:57 PM

I'm not British or Irish, but even I feel uneasy about this. :sad:

Fury as Martin McGuinness agrees to shake hands with Queen in historic first meeting between senior IRA figure and monarch
Quote:

Former IRA commander Martin McGuinness will shake hands with the Queen next week. Their meeting will mark a momentous and controversial step in the Northern Ireland peace process. Mr McGuinness, Northern Ireland’s Deputy First Minister, is to meet the monarch at a jubilee event in Belfast on Wednesday, it was announced yesterday by Sinn Fein – the political wing of the IRA. The handshake, which is due to take place behind closed doors, will be difficult for the Queen, who has lost members of her own family to republican violence.

Daria_S 06-22-2012 09:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemisia (Post 1434236)

I share your sentiments.

Baroness of Books 06-22-2012 10:35 PM

Yes, this is definitely an uncomfortable and very awkward scenario. The Queen is caught between a rock and a hard place, but she will rise above it all with her usual poise, dignity and aplomb as she always does. She's a true monarch in every sense of the word.

dazzling 06-23-2012 06:12 AM

Does anyone know anything about this event "GCC Polo Cup"? This article states that Queen Elizabeth attended the event.

cepe 06-23-2012 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling (Post 1434321)
Does anyone know anything about this event "GCC Polo Cup"? This article states that Queen Elizabeth attended the event.

The Queen attended a polo event on 17th June and gave out the prizes. Not an official engagement. Link to pictures

Getty Images - Search: Guards Polo club#

Lumutqueen 06-23-2012 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by iceflower

Queen Elizabeth has attended The Cartier Queen's Cup Final at Guards Polo Club in Egham on June 17, 2012.

** gettyimages/zimbio gallery: The Cartier Queen's Cup Final **

** mirror.co.uk: The Queen and eye: Monarch spotted with extremely bloodshot eye... but is in "fine fettle" **

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling

IceFlower posted some pictures on the day of the event, Chelsy Davy attended as well :)

Baroness of Books 06-26-2012 12:05 AM

Back on the water again!

It might be a smaller boat but at least this time it isn't raining! The Queen and Prince are back on the water after Jubilee celebrations laid Duke low three weeks ago | Mail Online

Daria_S 06-26-2012 01:15 AM

Thank you for the article :flowers:. It's great to see Her Majesty and Prince Philip enjoying some Jubilee celebrations together, and what a treat for the Bennetts to be able to chat to Her Majesty and exchange well-wishes. I like how he described be as 'warm-hearted'. It must be lovely to know that one is loved by one's subjects :smile:.

RoyalistRiley 06-26-2012 03:51 AM

BBC News - Queen to begin two-day Northern Ireland visit

Lumutqueen 06-26-2012 09:28 AM

The Queen has arrived in Ireland after being delayed by bad weather, she's wearing pale blue and has had a warm reception. I do hope our own EIIR gets a look at The Queen.

dbarn67 06-26-2012 09:34 AM

The Queen lovely in Wedgewood blue with white for her arrival in Northern Ireland.

http://i48.tinypic.com/sxg3ll.jpg

iceflower 06-26-2012 10:45 AM

A first gallery from today, June 26:

** zimbio/gettyimages gallery: Queen Elizabeth II Visits Northern Ireland **

hkittybaby 06-26-2012 01:18 PM

I think the duke looks healthier today

Princess of Durham 06-26-2012 02:16 PM

I love HM's outfit, it's just stunning and it's good to see the DOE looking so much better.

Archduchess Zelia 06-26-2012 03:12 PM

The DoE is looking better indeed, how nice to see. The Queen looks amazing in that outfit.

An Ard Ri 06-26-2012 03:15 PM

I was just watching the visit on the Irish news,some of the crowds were there all night,I hope the weather was kind to them.

Baroness of Books 06-26-2012 03:19 PM

The Duke is looking more himself; glad to see.

grevinnan 06-26-2012 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dbarn67 (Post 1435403)
The Queen lovely in Wedgewood blue with white for her arrival in Northern Ireland.

http://i48.tinypic.com/sxg3ll.jpg

...and the likeness of the Girls of Ireland tiara in lace on her hat.

EIIR 06-26-2012 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1435398)
The Queen has arrived in Ireland after being delayed by bad weather, she's wearing pale blue and has had a warm reception. I do hope our own EIIR gets a look at The Queen.

So kind of you to think of me today Lumutqueen, but unfortunately work commitments had to take precedence today. I was simply unable to get anywhere near Enniskillen, or Hillsborough for that matter. I tried to get tickets for the big Jubilee party being held at Stormont tomorrow, but 10,000 tickets were given away on Ticketmaster in just 6 minutes. My mother and I are putting plans in place definitively to go to the Trooping next year when, God willing, we'll see not only HM but the whole family.

Today's events seemed a wonderful success, even though the Queen was an hour late due to the uncooperative Northern Irish weather. Big crowds waiting since 4am in the wet and cold. I hope tomorrow's weather is better for the big party.

Artemisia 06-26-2012 06:37 PM

Another step to pace: Queen greeted by thousands as she arrives in Northern Ireland to meet survivors of one of the IRA's worst massacres
Quote:

The Queen was today greeted by thousands of well-wishers in the Northern Irish town that witnessed one of the IRAs worst atrocities ahead of a historic meeting with Martin McGuinness. The monarch, who is celebrating her Diamond Jubilee, touched down in Enniskillen this morning before she is expected to travel on to Belfast to shake the hand of the former IRA commander tomorrow in a momentous and controversial step in the Northern Ireland peace process. Her historic visit follows her groundbreaking visit to the Republic of Ireland last year where she made a series of gestures which were seen as a dramatic advance in Anglo-Irish relations – including speaking in Irish at a banquet in her honour.

RoyalistRiley 06-26-2012 09:31 PM

There seemed to be a fairly large crowd out to see HM and HRH today, which is always nice. Is Enniskillen a particularly Unionist area (I hope that is the correct term) or would there be crowds this size everywhere in Northern Ireland?

RoyalistRiley 06-27-2012 06:13 AM

Has anyone asked the Queen if she wants to shake hands with Martin McGuinness? | Mail Online

Lumutqueen 06-27-2012 06:32 AM

Is that article supposed to say "Another Step to Pace" or is it supposed to be peace? :lol:

EIIR 06-27-2012 06:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyalistRiley (Post 1435627)
There seemed to be a fairly large crowd out to see HM and HRH today, which is always nice. Is Enniskillen a particularly Unionist area (I hope that is the correct term) or would there be crowds this size everywhere in Northern Ireland?

I'm not a Fermanagh woman myself, but I believe that Enniskillen and the county generally are pretty finely balanced in terms of Catholic/Protestant populations. There was quite a mixed crowd there yesterday, probably mostly Protestant but not exclusively so.

It's a fluid situation in NI, where the vast majority of Protestants are Unionists, but generally about 20% of Catholics would, if pushed, prefer NI to remain within the Union also. They probably wouldn't identify as Unionist, but would vote in a referendum to maintain the Union.

Crowds would certainly be this big anywhere in NI. This is the first time the Queen's visit to NI has been pre-announced in advance. Previously we didn't know the Queen was coming until the day itself, for security reasons, which made it impossible for most people to see her. That's why the crowds were so big this time.

Lumutqueen 06-27-2012 07:08 AM

The Queen has worn apple green by Angela Kelly to shake hands with Mr McGuinness this morning, all done and dusted apparently they're now having a nice chat in the Lyric Theatre.

First picture: http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2012/...80_634x420.jpg

We've had a private handshake and will have a public one this afternoon.

RoyalistRiley 06-27-2012 07:42 AM

BBC News - Queen and Martin McGuinness shake hands - There it is: the handshake. HM is even smiling!

Lumutqueen 06-27-2012 08:14 AM

I doubt she's smiling by choice.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...sed-doors.html

Kataryn 06-27-2012 08:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1435716)

That's how Royals pay for their privilege. It has been that way for centuries: if a traitor was influencial enough, he was taken back onto the Royal bosom even after having committed heineous crimes in medieval wars. Charles II even had to cope with people who did nothing to save his father from getting beheaded. Or Marie Louise of Austria - she was raised at a court under siege by Napoleon and grew up believing Napoleon was a monster. And then she learned she had to marry this monster and bear him children. One should call this view on Royal duties pragmatic...

iceflower 06-27-2012 09:07 AM

Here's today's gettyimages gallery with nice large pics:

** gettyimages/zimbio: Queen Elizabeth II And Prince Philip, Duke Of Edinburgh Visit Northern Ireland - Day 2 **

Lumutqueen 06-27-2012 10:16 AM

I have a query, who's the longest serving monarch in Europe? Not just currently as it was be Elizabeth. I think the answer to my question is Louis (insert numerals) or Victoria?

Artemisia 06-27-2012 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen (Post 1435759)
I have a query, who's the longest serving monarch in Europe? Not just currently as it was be Elizabeth. I think the answer to my question is Louis (insert numerals) or Victoria?

- The longest-reigning Sovereign ruler in European history was Bernard VII, Lord of Lippe (ruler of the Lordship of Lippe); he reigned for 81 years and 234 days.

- The longest-reigning Monarch in European history was Louis XIV of France; he reigned for 72 years and 110 day.

- The longest-reigning Sovereign Prince in European history is Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein; he reigned for 70 years and 91 days.

- The longest-reigning Emperor in European history is Frederic III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire; he reigned for 69 years and 70 days.
He is followed by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, who reigned for 67 years and 355 days.

- Queen Victoria, with her 63 years and 216 days, is the longest-reigning female Monarch in history (as well as the longest-reigning British one).
Queen Elizabeth II will surpass that record on 10 September 2015. If the Queen is still reigning by 26 May 2024, she will surpass Louis XIV as the longest-reigning Monarch in European history.

Artemisia 06-27-2012 01:58 PM

The bravest thing she's ever done: Queen shakes hands with Martin McGuinness - the man who headed terror army that murdered her beloved cousin - and even manages a smile
Quote:

The Queen performed an astonishing act of forgiveness today in the name of peace when she shook hands with Sinn Fein's Martin McGuinness - twice. Belfast was the scene for an extraordinary encounter between the British monarch and the former IRA commander - now Northern Ireland's Deputy First Minister - which would have been unthinkable as little as ten years ago. Her Majesty somehow even found it within her to smile as she met the man who once headed the terror network responsible for killing Lord Mountbatten - the treasured cousin she knew as 'Uncle Dickie'. He was murdered by the IRA in 1979 along with his young grandson in a bomb blast during a boating trip off Mullaghmore, Co. Sligo. It was an atrocity that sent shockwaves through the Royal Family. Yet today, in a Jubilee year full of surprises, the Queen spent five minutes with Mr McGuinness behind closed doors in a room within the city's Lyric Theatre, and then the pair shook hands again publicly outside in full view of the world's cameras.
Very brave of Her Majesty and Prince Philip; however, I wish they weren't put into position when it was necessary.

NGalitzine 06-27-2012 02:51 PM

Well the monarch is supposed to be the symbol of the unity of the nation so to meet a man who has been democratically elected by her people and who is the Deputy First Minister of part of her realm is the proper thing for her to do.
I am sure in her 60 years on the throne she has met, shaken hands with, hosted and danced with many individuals that she might, had she been a private citizen, chosen to avoid but that is not possible for a constitutional monarch.

Baroness of Books 06-27-2012 03:10 PM

Although it must have been difficult for her, HM certainly knows how to step up to the plate in her usual regal and inimitable style. Whatever feelings she and Prince Philip have about this meeting and gesture would be kept firmly suppressed in public. She just goes about her duty and does what needs to be done.

Lumutqueen 06-27-2012 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Artemisia
- The longest-reigning Sovereign ruler in European history was Bernard VII, Lord of Lippe (ruler of the Lordship of Lippe); he reigned for 81 years and 234 days.

- The longest-reigning Monarch in European history was Louis XIV of France; he reigned for 72 years and 110 day.

- The longest-reigning Sovereign Prince in European history is Johann II, Prince of Liechtenstein; he reigned for 70 years and 91 days.

- The longest-reigning Emperor in European history is Frederic III, Emperor of the Holy Roman Empire; he reigned for 69 years and 70 days.
He is followed by Emperor Franz Joseph I of Austria, who reigned for 67 years and 355 days.

- Queen Victoria, with her 63 years and 216 days, is the longest-reigning female Monarch in history (as well as the longest-reigning British one).
Queen Elizabeth II will surpass that record on 10 September 2015. If the Queen is still reigning by 26 May 2024, she will surpass Louis XIV as the longest-reigning Monarch in European history.

Thank you for this fantastic list! :) I'm reading a new book on the monarchy and the author lists Queen Elizabeth as the longest serving monarch, which is now severely incorrect.

An Ard Ri 06-27-2012 04:40 PM

The new Irish President and First Lady were also present today,I wonder if this was the first meeting of the Irish and British Heads of State since Mary McAleese left the office last year.

Britain's Queen Elizabeth meets Sinn Fin's Martin McGuinness - RT News

LadyGabrielle 06-27-2012 04:58 PM

Well I have to give her credit. She set aside any negative feelings and just did it. I think she is an incredible woman and does what she needs to do even if she doesnt want to. I know that for me it would be a huge difficulty to not just slap the guy and spit in his face. I do not envy her position. She shook the mans hand with grace and dignity, what a woman. :)

EIIR 06-27-2012 07:24 PM

I have personal difficulties with the powers that be basically putting the Queen in the position of having no option but to shake the hand of an unrepentant terrorist. The Queen is, of course, very gracious and such a class act that she can put her duty ahead of her personal feelings and get on with it.

The best bit of the visit today, though, was when HM was at the new Titanic Belfast visitor centre. She was introduced to a 92 year old D-Day veteran, who gave her a perfectly executed salute. He then went on to tell the Queen that he remembers her from his war days because she changed the spark plugs on his army vehicle and he remembers that she was covered in grease from the engine. The Queen said that she was sure she was as that was a regular occurance when she was in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service. It was such a lovely moment, and the veteran was pleased as punch afterwards.

Here's a lovely video of HM and the DoE arriving at this afternoon's party at Stormont in an open topped Land Rover, much to the delight of the 20,000 strong crowd.

Video: Queen welcomed to Stormont by cheering crowds singing God Save the Queen - Telegraph

Baroness of Books 06-27-2012 07:29 PM

Wow, what a memory for that veteran to have. Imagine that HM was the mechanic for his vehicle; simply an incredible turn of events.

LadyGabrielle 06-27-2012 07:55 PM

What a wonderful crowd. It was nice to hear her supporters singing the anthem and cheering, it was touching. And what a treat for that gentleman who got the chance to meet and talk to her. Memories of long ago shared between the two. :)

Daria_S 06-28-2012 01:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baroness of Books (Post 1435865)
Although it must have been difficult for her, HM certainly knows how to step up to the plate in her usual regal and inimitable style. Whatever feelings she and Prince Philip have about this meeting and gesture would be kept firmly suppressed in public. She just goes about her duty and does what needs to be done.

I couldn't have said it better :flowers:. I agree with everything you said.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baroness of Books (Post 1435985)
Wow, what a memory for that veteran to have. Imagine that HM was the mechanic for his vehicle; simply an incredible turn of events.

It is indeed. Those types of stories always bring a smile to my face, so I can only imagine what Her Majesty and this gentleman were feeling.

RoyalistRiley 06-28-2012 03:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EIIR (Post 1435983)
The best bit of the visit today, though, was when HM was at the new Titanic Belfast visitor centre. She was introduced to a 92 year old D-Day veteran, who gave her a perfectly executed salute. He then went on to tell the Queen that he remembers her from his war days because she changed the spark plugs on his army vehicle and he remembers that she was covered in grease from the engine. The Queen said that she was sure she was as that was a regular occurance when she was in the Women's Auxiliary Territorial Service. It was such a lovely moment, and the veteran was pleased as punch afterwards.

What a wonderful story. Sounds like a wonderful moment for them both.

Erin9 06-28-2012 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EIIR (Post 1435983)

What a great story!

iceflower 07-02-2012 12:59 PM

Queen Elizabeth inspected soldiers from the Royal Regiment of Scotland, during the Ceremony Of The Keys
at Holyrood Palace in Edinburgh, Scotland on July 2, 2012.

** Pic 1 ** Pic 2 ** daylife gallery **

Tyger 07-02-2012 09:34 PM

Has anyone seen this - I got it via Facebook -

Queen Elizabeth and Prince Philipp 60 years later - HERE

GrammaSueSue 07-02-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyger (Post 1437706)

Really cool! Thanks for sharing!

MarNoe 07-02-2012 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyger (Post 1437706)

Wonderful! In an ideal world ALL marriages would be this special!