The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Families of France (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f76/)
-   -   Execution of Elisabeth de France (3 May 1764 - 10 May 1794) (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f76/execution-of-elisabeth-de-france-3-may-1764-10-may-1794-a-33006.html)

An Ard Ri 05-10-2012 06:14 AM

Execution of Elisabeth de France (3 May 1764 - 10 May 1794)
 
Execution of Elisabeth de France-10 May 1794

The youngest sister of Louis XVI was executed on May 10th,1794.Her remains were dumped in a Mass grave and never found


Princess Élisabeth of France - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://nobility.org/wp-content/uploa...pellegrini.jpg

theresa_225 06-25-2012 09:46 PM

About it:

The Ruin of a Princess.

There are some information on the net too.

An Ard Ri 06-28-2012 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by theresa_225 (Post 1435270)
About it:

The Ruin of a Princess.

There are some information on the net too.

Thanks :flowers:

An Ard Ri 05-03-2013 03:24 PM

Élisabeth Philippine Marie Hélène de France was born on May 3rd 1764 the youngest child of Louis, Dauphin of France and Marie-Josèphe of Saxony.


http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...%281768%29.jpg

R.B. Swan 12-12-2013 01:26 PM

Elisabeth could have married a Prince of Savoy and joined her sister Clotilde in Sardinia, but she had no wish to marry and the match ultimately fell through. She was briefly considered as a potential wife for Emperor Joseph II of Austria after his first wife died. He didn't like her and she didn't like him, so that match fell through too. She wanted to become a nun, but her brother Louis XVI begged her not to take the veil and to stay by his side. She did so, and her love and devotion cost poor Elisabeth her life.

Moonmaiden23 01-18-2014 01:57 AM

From what I have read of her courage and her devout, unflinching faith in the face of the brutality the French Royal family was subjected to in the Temple, I am very surprised her cause for canonization has not been advanced in Rome.:ermm:

An Ard Ri 01-18-2014 04:17 PM

Elisabeth de France


Elisabeth de France- A Howling Wilderness [10th of May 1794] - YouTube

An Ard Ri 01-18-2014 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 1634153)
From what I have read of her courage and her devout, unflinching faith in the face of the brutality the French Royal family was subjected to in the Temple, I am very surprised her cause for canonization has not been advanced in Rome.:ermm:

I'm not 100% certain but don't they need proof of a miracle or two for Sainthoods,Elisabeth's naked body was dumped in mass grave and was never found following an extensive search in 1817 on the orders of her brother Louis XVIII.

Pity as I'm sure the Bourbons would love to have had a Saint-Princess in the family tree following their Restoration in 1815!

larlincol7 01-18-2014 04:42 PM

Among the countless crimes committed by the first French Republic the murder of HRH Princess Elizabeth goes beyond the pale of decent civilized behavior. May Her Royal Highness rest in peace.

Moonmaiden23 01-19-2014 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by An Ard Ri (Post 1634280)
I'm not 100% certain but don't they need proof of a miracle or two for Sainthoods,Elisabeth's naked body was dumped in mass grave and was never found following an extensive search in 1817 on the orders of her brother Louis XVIII.

Pity as I'm sure the Bourbons would love to have had a Saint-Princess in the family tree following their Restoration in 1815!


Yes, you are right. That has always troubled me about the way the Roman Church selects martyrs for canonization. I like the way the Eastern Rite and Orthodox Churches do it much better...a transparently holy life, sometimes ending with martyrdom...are the most important requirements.

It seems much more authentic that way. JMHO.

An Ard Ri 01-19-2014 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Moonmaiden23 (Post 1634487)
Yes, you are right. That has always troubled me about the way the Roman Church selects martyrs for canonization. I like the way the Eastern Rite and Orthodox Churches do it much better...a transparently holy life, sometimes ending with martyrdom...are the most important requirements.

It seems much more authentic that way. JMHO.

Part of thinks that the RC church would rather forget what happened in the French Revolution and all the power/property and clergy it lost!

Poor Elisabeth dumped in a mass grave at least there's a memorial to her at the Chapel of the Conciergerie.

http://www.galerie.roi-president.com...-louis-xvi.JPG

An Ard Ri 05-11-2014 03:39 PM

New biography on Elisabeth de France (in French)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qeUfrKv5Cs4

Carminha Stalker 05-11-2014 04:00 PM

Elizabeth de France
 
Her death reminded me that of another saintly woman Ella, sister of tsarina Alexandra of Russia. How awful to kill these women who had done nothing wrong, except for their names and birth.

An Ard Ri 05-14-2014 06:49 PM

Such a pity that her remains were never found following the searches after the Bourbon Restoration that recovered so many others.

XeniaCasaraghi 05-19-2014 09:41 PM

I don't believe Elisabeth died for religious reasons so she isnt a religious martyr; isn't that one of the things that has to occur?


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 03:31 AM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises