The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Forbes' names Royal women with influence (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/forbes-names-royal-women-with-influence-3283.html)

lucys 08-20-2004 02:27 PM

Forbes' names Royal women with influence
 
We talk a lot on this site about which royals rate in the world, or how, and every once in a while we get some more objective and studied opinions to give us perspective from outside our royal watching world. It can be something like Esquire Magazine this month naming Prince Felipe one of the 18 best dressed men in the world, or more substancially this new list by Forbes.

Forbes Magazine has published its list of the 100 most powerful women in the world. The list inlcudes 6 Queens. In order, they are, with Forbes' commentary:

Queen Rania (13)
Charity work and a common touch have led many to compare Queen Rania, wife of Jordan's King Abdullah bin Al-Hussein, with other famous women leaders, including Princess Diana or Eva Peron. Queen Rania, who comes from a Palestinian family, has been a key speaker at the World Economic Forum, where she pleaded for peace and for a concerted effort to improve the economic lives of the poor. Queen Rania is also making her mark by being outspoken on issues often taboo in Jordanian society, including championing an organization that publicizes and stops child abuse, one of the first of its kind in the Arab world, as well as spearheading a large non-profit that helps women become better business executives.-E.M.

Queen Elizabeth (22)
For the last 50 years, Queen Elizabeth II has watched her empire nearly lose its worldwide influence, her country get mixed up in the European Union, and her family endure a series of embarrassing tabloid scandals. Throughout these problems, the Queen, 78, remained unflappable. Indeed, she has shepherded her country through numerous geopolitical crises with a firm hand. As one of the world's most-watched monarchs, Britons love her and her sedate demeanor, not to mention her fashion sense. Her son Prince Charles is poised to be Great Britain's next king, the latest in a long line of colorful royals.-C.S.

Queen Beatrix (35)
Queen Beatrix, 66, became Queen of the Netherlands in 1980, when her mother Juliana abdicated the throne in her favor, making her the latest of four queens in a row to rule the Dutch. Her background has been tinged with controversy: After graduating Leiden University with a degree in politics, Queen Beatrix married German diplomat Claus von Amsberg in 1966, at a time when World War II was still fresh in the minds of the Dutch. Nevertheless, Queen Beatrix is a wildly popular royal in her part of the world, and her main priority for the Netherlands has been modernizing the Dutch monarchy. Queen Beatrix is also famously known for showing off her vast collection of giant hats.-C.F.

Queen Sofia (39)
Queen Sofia is a powerful force for change in her country. Spain's beloved and admired queen serves as head of The Queen Sofia Foundation, which funds programs towards education, agriculture, and the promotion of women. Born in Athens, Greece in 1938, Queen Sofia's lineage traces back through the Russian tsars and German emperors. A mother of three, the Queen has also been recognized with an honorary Doctor of Humane Letters degree from New York University.-C.F.

Queen Silvia (68)
Queen Silvia, 60, has reigned over Sweden since her marriage to King Gustaf XVI in 1976. Though the monarchy has no official political authority in Sweden, the monarchs serve as the international public face for the nation. Through her work with the World Childhood Foundation and the Royal Wedding Fund, Queen Silvia seeks to aid underprivileged and disabled children around the world.-D.B.

Queen Noor (83)
Few other queens have dedicated their lives to such an enormous array of humanitarian, education and environmental causes as the former Queen of Jordan. Her charity work spans landmine eradication and environmental conservation as well as women's and children's rights. The ever-gracious and elegant Queen Noor, 52, is also an active board member of the World Wildlife Fund International, United World Colleges and Seeds of Peace. The American-born Lisa Najeeb Halaby continues to be a vocal advocate for peace between Israel and the Arab world, as was her late husband, King Hussein.-D.B.

Any thoughts?

Bubbette 08-20-2004 02:44 PM

Um, how many royals were left off this list?

Jackswife 08-20-2004 03:24 PM

I figure Forbes probably gave most of the rest of the spots on the list to female CEOs, business leaders, and entertainers (someone like Madonna or Oprah Winfrey comes to mind.) It would be interesting to see what their criteria for inclusion were but I'd say these Queens definitely fit on the power list.

lucys 08-20-2004 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bubbette
Um, how many royals were left off this list?

Off the top of my head: Queens of Denmark, Norway and Morroco, Grand Duchess of Luxemburg, Caroline of Monaco (who though not a Queen functions as the first lady of Monaco); other than Noor and Rania, all non-western royals (i.e., emperess of Japan). All princesses (when Prince Diana was still alive she appeared on a similar list).

lucys 08-20-2004 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jackswife
I figure Forbes probably gave most of the rest of the spots on the list to female CEOs, business leaders, and entertainers (someone like Madonna or Oprah Winfrey comes to mind.) It would be interesting to see what their criteria for inclusion were but I'd say these Queens definitely fit on the power list.

Many were obvisously women involved in politics; Condalezza Rice is number 1. Madonna is not on the list. Oprah is, but in the bottom half. I don't believe any singers or actresses are on the list. A few journalists are.

norwegianne 08-20-2004 04:08 PM

Maybe it's just me, but I think Queen Margrethe should be on the list, too. As one of the three female monarchs of Europe.

The rest looks okay to me.

irishchic5 08-20-2004 04:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by norwegianne
Maybe it's just me, but I think Queen Margrethe should be on the list, too. As one of the three female monarchs of Europe.

The rest looks okay to me.


I agree. I think that being one of the three female monarchs of Europe gives one a great deal of power and influence!

sara1981 08-20-2004 09:30 PM

I wanted know about Princess Diana? because she been influence at her mother in law the HM Queen 2 and Queen Mother and also member of Royals Family? if you have more about British Royals Family include Sophie.Countess of Wessex and Sarah,Duchess of York?

Sara Boyce

hillary_nugent 08-20-2004 10:23 PM

SO who got the top spot???

A.C.C. 08-20-2004 11:36 PM

Can anyone post the full list. I'm interested in who made it.

sara1981 08-20-2004 11:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.C.C.
Can anyone post the full list. I'm interested in who made it.

me too! i cant wait!

Sara Boyce

Alexandria 08-21-2004 12:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by A.C.C.
Can anyone post the full list. I'm interested in who made it.

Here is the link to it: http://www.forbes.com/lists/2004/08/18/04powomland.html

It is broken down into several categories: Top Ten, Executives, Heiresses, Media & Entertainment, Presidents & Prime Ministers, Queens, Wives.

A random selection of other women on the list (some very good company these Queens are keeping!):

Senator Hillary Rodham Clinton
First Lady Laura Bush
U.K. First Lady Cherie Booth Blair
U.S. Supreme Court Justice Sandra Day O'Connor
Indonesia President Megawati Sukarnoputri
Chair and Chief Executive, Hewlett-Packard, U.S.Carleton Carly Fiorina
Member of Canadian Parliament and autoparts manufacturer heiress Belinda Stronach
Mexico Maria Asuncion Aramburuzabala, Vice Chair, Grupo Modelo
President of Finland Tarja Halonen
President of Ireland Mary McAleese
President of Latvia Vaira Vike-Freiberga
Barbara Walters, News Correspondent and Anchor, ABC's 20/20
Diane Sawyer, Co-Anchor, ABC's Good Morning America, Primetime Thursday
Katie Couric, Co-Anchor, The Today Show
Gail Berman, President of Entertainment, Fox Broadcasting, U.S.

Larzen 08-21-2004 09:39 AM

I must say I dont hink many of theese queens belongs on this list, except for queen Elisabeth I think the others could have been left of. This has nothing to do with what I think of theese ladies but to call Silvia, Sofia, Noor and Rania among the top 100 most powerful women is just absurd.

Rania is married to a powerful man but just appearing on Oprah and the cover of Vogue does not make her powerful, yes she is involved in good causes but that does not make her powerful IMO.

Elisabeth belongs on the list I think and maybe Beatrix as well but she should be further down the list.

Even if I love Sofia and find her the perfect queen and she is involved in good work I do not find her powerful, Same goes for Silvia, everytime she tries to put some political issue on the agenda she will get critesiced becaus royals should stay nutral.

I think there are many wonderful strong women that has a lot going for them but that are not as visible that belong to this list. It is just my oppinion that beeing a good wife, mother and first lady, (beeing well dressed-Rania!) and involved in good causes just does not make you powerful in a worldwide perspective. It makes you a good person but that was not what this list was for.

Im glad to see that there were not any actresses and popsingers on the list, JK.Rowling and Oprah were among the more "popular" choices but well deserved if you ask me. If you look at Ms Rowling I know of many children who never ever read a book before and suddenly they are reading books that are over 500 pages and want to read more just because the loved Harry potter and found how fun it was to read and not just wait for the movie;)

Alexandria 08-21-2004 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Larzen
I must say I dont hink many of theese queens belongs on this list, except for queen Elisabeth I think the others could have been left of. This has nothing to do with what I think of theese ladies but to call Silvia, Sofia, Noor and Rania among the top 100 most powerful women is just absurd.

Rania is married to a powerful man but just appearing on Oprah and the cover of Vogue does not make her powerful, yes she is involved in good causes but that does not make her powerful IMO.

Elisabeth belongs on the list I think and maybe Beatrix as well but she should be further down the list.

Even if I love Sofia and find her the perfect queen and she is involved in good work I do not find her powerful, Same goes for Silvia, everytime she tries to put some political issue on the agenda she will get critesiced becaus royals should stay nutral.

I think there are many wonderful strong women that has a lot going for them but that are not as visible that belong to this list. It is just my oppinion that beeing a good wife, mother and first lady, (beeing well dressed-Rania!) and involved in good causes just does not make you powerful in a worldwide perspective. It makes you a good person but that was not what this list was for.

Im glad to see that there were not any actresses and popsingers on the list, JK.Rowling and Oprah were among the more "popular" choices but well deserved if you ask me. If you look at Ms Rowling I know of many children who never ever read a book before and suddenly they are reading books that are over 500 pages and want to read more just because the loved Harry potter and found how fun it was to read and not just wait for the movie;)

I agree with a lot of what you've said here, although I think there are some plausible reasons/explanations for some of these queens being on the list.

Noor, while a Dowager Queen now, is very strongly linked to her late and beloved husband, King Hussein who played a very central role in trying to broker peace in the Middle East. I think some, even a very small part of that belovedness that people held so dearly for her husband has transferred to Noor. Noor has also certainly received some recognition for her work with landmines. Shortly before Diana died her campaign against landmines was very public with all the video footage and images of her in the mask touring areas with landmines, and after Diana died and Noor picked up the campaign there were similar images of Noor. Also, as an American-born woman who became Queen, that is always interesting to people. At a book signing some months ago here, more than a hundred people came out to meet and hear Noor.

Sofia's influence lies, I think, not as the head of the Queen Sofia foundation or because of her numerous blood ties to other royals past and present, but because she is the queen of a country that has many ties to other parts of the world. There are many countries around the world that have historical, cultural and language ties to Spain such as Mexico, the Dominican Republic, Brazil, Cuba, Portugal, etc. all countries that Sofia and Juan Carlos maintain close relations with and visit with cyclic regularity and influence in their own way.

About the only queen on this list who I could not come up with a reason for is Silvia. Sweden's monarchy hardly ever makes a blip on the world stage -- about the only time I hear about Sweden's royals in Canada is during the 20 second news reel about the Nobel Peace Prize and even then the royals are hardly mentioned, just panned over by the camera with the mention that the royal family was in attendance then the focus shifts back to the winners. Undoubtedly she is very popular and well loved in Sweden, but on the world stage I would debate strongly her influence.

norwegianne 08-21-2004 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alexandria
About the only queen on this list who I could not come up with a reason for is Silvia. Sweden's monarchy hardly ever makes a blip on the world stage -- about the only time I hear about Sweden's royals in Canada is during the 20 second news reel about the Nobel Peace Prize and even then the royals are hardly mentioned, just panned over by the camera with the mention that the royal family was in attendance then the focus shifts back to the winners. Undoubtedly she is very popular and well loved in Sweden, but on the world stage I would debate strongly her influence.

I agree. Especially since, as I stated above, I believe that Margrethe deserves a place on the list. At least more than Silvia. Not that I've got anything against Silvia, I just think it is strange.

Dennism 08-21-2004 11:29 AM

I have to agree with some of the thoughts on the list. I thought of two people at the top of my head who should have been on the list and that is Louise Arbour and Mary Robinson. But this list is quite current so less chance for Mary but it is glaring not to have Louise on the list. How Shirin Ebadi is 99 is beyond me though her influence and power in the world is more extensive than Diane Sawyer´s or Katie Couric´s or Belinda Stronach´s or a couple of dozen of the other women.


"Rania is married to a powerful man but just appearing on Oprah and the cover of Vogue does not make her powerful, yes she is involved in good causes but that does not make her powerful IMO"

One could say the same about Laura Bush as well. She´s nice and one can not complain too much about her really but I´m just saying. She is the epitome of the woman behind the man. She certainly had a very positive influence on her husband´s life.

Some of the Americans listed are ridiculous. It´s a world list supposedly. The people should have power or influence beyond their own country. Anyway, I think Margrethe should be on it. What is it they say? If Denmark dissolved the monarchy and she ran for president, the people would vote her in! That is admiration and by extension, power. But her influence is considerably parochial so I am being a tad inconsistent. But that being said, if one was to use power beyond one´s own country then I would pick Silvia over Margrethe because of her good work with the WCF.

sara1981 08-21-2004 03:42 PM

I think Princess Diana have more money because she is worth her father the 8th Earl Spencer been worth million or billion but Princess Diana been more worth money like it i think Princess Diana carry money with her when she visit USA before she died.

Sara Boyce

Dennism 02-23-2005 02:00 AM

Is there a royal woman who isn´t on this list who should be?

dazzling 09-02-2009 01:41 PM

Queen Rania of Jordan made the list again

Queen Rania Makes ‘Forbes’ List of Powerful Women

...It is a list of women who have the most influence measured by visibility and the size of the organization or country the person leads. Her Majesty came in at number 76, but was the highest ranking entry from the Middle East... - Full Article

Lumutqueen 09-02-2009 02:01 PM

:previous:
Lucky Rania. :flowers:
I think Queen M should have been on the list last year.
I'm glad Angela Merkel made No1.

Queen Elizabeth II got 42. :smile:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:49 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises