The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   How do the Royal Houses Compare/Contrast? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/how-do-the-royal-houses-compare-contrast-32521.html)

Tyger 01-25-2012 12:24 AM

How do the Royal Houses Compare/Contrast?

When I came on TRF I was very narrowly interested in Royals. I have had a long and complex 'relationship' with the Swedish Royal Family - but my main exposure was with the British Monarchy, for obvious cultural reasons.

Since coming on TRF my 'Royal World' has considerably opened up to the point that I have a question that I hope is taken in the spirit it is asked: I notice - in my limited way - that the European Royals seem to hob-nob more amongst each other - while the British Monarchy appears to keep to itself.

For example, here is a video (below text) of the Danish Monarch's 70th birthday dinner - awash with tiaras and jewels and all manner of Kings, Queens, Princes and Princesses. Why does not the British Monarchy have this kind of splash and social whirl?

I was reading on a blog and came upon this comment in reference to the Danish Monarchy: 'And I shall never, ever blame her for finding a way to have a third tiara, especially since she belongs to a family that actually throws events that require three tiara appearances in a row.' And I couldn't help but notice that the same Danish family seems to have glittering New Years Balls that everyone shows up at - but the British don't. Why is that?

Is this an accurate observation or am I suffering from a derth of exposure to the facts? If it is so, why is it so? Is it rooted in some historical situation that makes the British Royals less 'worldly'? Less connected to the continental Royals?

My impression is the continental Royals have a far more glittering social life and mix with each other socially in an almost 'old world' way. Am I correct?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy57A...layer_embedded

NGalitzine 01-25-2012 12:29 AM

Its a case of different horses for different courses. The Scandinavia countries, and in particular Denmark, do have a lot of white tie events for events like weddings, jubilees and birthdays. The Scandinavian monarchs are also very closely related to each other. The Benelux countries and Spain are a bit more like the British and do not do white tie and tiaras as much. Its just different national sensibilities and how they want their monarchies to function.

Tyger 01-25-2012 12:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGalitzine (Post 1363051)
Its a case of different horses for different courses. The Scandinavia countries, and in particular Denmark, do have a lot of white tie events for events like weddings, jubilees and birthdays. The Scandinavian monarchs are also very closely related to each other. The Benelux countries and Spain are a bit more like the British and do not do white tie and tiaras as much. Its just different national sensibilities and how they want their monarchies to function.

Thank you. I saw that certain monarchies are related - extended family really - but that doesn't explain why the British Monarchy doesn't show up at continental celebrations. Spain shows up.

BTW - 'Benelux countries' - what are those?

Also - has these 'national sensibilities' always been so? Meaning in particular how the monarchies 'put on the Ritz' - or is it of recent times? And has the British Royal Family always remained aloof from the continental Royalty?

NGalitzine 01-25-2012 12:47 AM

Queen Elizabeth II usually sends a representative to important events when invited. She herself does not, with the exceptions of Queen Julianas 25th wedding anniversary and the funeral of King Baudouin. That has pretty much been the practice of British monarchs since WWI. I think at QMII's birthday party we saw royals from Scandinavia and The Netherlands but not the other monarchies. Prince Philp did attend one of her birthday parties, perhaps her 65th but not sure. When QMII celebrates a jubilee, as she did last week, she only invites the Scandinavian Heads of State (monarchs & Presidents) as well as her Greek and Berlberg sisters and their families.
BENELUX= Belgium, Netherlands, Luxembourg.

American Dane 01-25-2012 01:35 AM

:previous: Monarchs and royals from other countries (i.e. Spain, etc.) were invited to the Queen's 70th birthday celebrations. However, due to the Icelandic volcanic cloud that grounded all air traffic right before and during Denmark's celebrations, some were unable to attend after accepting their invitations. IIRC The Grand Duke and Grand Duchess of Luxembourg made it to the 70th birthday celebrations. As you said, Margrethe's Jubilee was a Scandinavian affair only.

NGalitzine 01-25-2012 01:49 AM

Yes, I forgot about that troublesome volcano. The Dutch as I recall took the train.

NGalitzine 01-25-2012 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tyger (Post 1363055)
Also - has these 'national sensibilities' always been so? Meaning in particular how the monarchies 'put on the Ritz' - or is it of recent times? And has the British Royal Family always remained aloof from the continental Royalty?

By sensibilities I meant that each nation seems to have a way they expect their monarchy to appear, some grand some less so.
I don't necessarily look at The British monarchy as being aloof from the continental monarchies but certainly since WWI, and to some extent even before that, it has not been the custom for the monarch to go partying on the continent but to send a family representative to continental royal events as needed.

Iluvbertie 01-25-2012 02:25 AM

The British royals were heavily involved with their European relatives up to 1914 but after the first world war George V didn't encourage his children to mix with the Europeans as much - particularly the German branches of the family.

He did still have regular contact with the Danes as his mother was still alive and visited her sister in Denmark quite regularly. After Alexandra died in 1925 the contact reduced even further.

From then onwards the foreign royals really had to come to Britain to mix with the British royal family. Philip was able to do so because his grandmother lived in KP and he had other Mountbatten relatives in Britain but the active involvement in the social events of the continental royals ended in 1914.

Britain had been quite isolated, except for Edward VII through most of the latter part of Victoria's reign as she didn't do the tours herself. The foreign royals had to visit grandmama in Britian and it reverted to that practice after WWI.

The Brits are related to all the other families of course - with the others virtually all in line to the British throne (unless barred due to marrying or being RC - the Spanish and Belgian monarchs for instance). The Norwegians are in about the 60s due to their descent from Edward VII while the others are all descendents from Victoria.

American Dane 01-25-2012 02:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NGalitzine (Post 1363066)
Yes, I forgot about that troublesome volcano. The Dutch as I recall took the train.

Yes, they did. I believe Henri and Maria Teresa caught part of their journey with the Dutch RF. IMO it shows how close all of them are that they took the effort to make it there...

Tyger 01-25-2012 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 1363070)
The British royals were heavily involved with their European relatives up to 1914...

Thank you for the context, Iluvbertie. :flowers:

ChantalC 01-28-2012 11:57 AM

For Tyger: The Benelux countries are Belgium, Netherlands and Luxembourg.

XeniaCasaraghi 01-30-2012 09:26 PM

Ugh, all this talk makes me wish the Russian Royals with all their jewels on top of jewels were still around. I recall that there were people who were really impressed with the Swedish royal wedding because of how the ladies were dressed, the tiaras, and the recognition that the visiting royals were given.