The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Ruling Family of Dubai (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f170/)
-   -   Styles and Titles (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f170/styles-and-titles-32103.html)

Nahla10 04-30-2011 05:48 PM

Styles and Titles

I've a few questions about the titles of the dubai ruling family:

1. Is Shaikha Shaikha now a Royal Highness as she is married to His royal Highness Shaikh Nasser or is she still "only" a Highness?
2. I think men can gain titles from their wifes (such as daniel of sweden became a prince after marrying princess victoria) so is Shaikh Mohammed now Royal Highness from the side of his wife HRH Princess Haya? (Of course he's known as Shaikh Mohammed but I wonder if actually got a Royal Highness after marrying Haya?)
3. Is AlJalila a Shaikha or Princess? or both?

sally1234 04-30-2011 06:34 PM

1- Even if Bahrain is a kingdom, the king is the only one having a royal name, the other members are still Sheikhs & Sheikhas.
2- No, Sheikh Mohd didnt gain any title from his marriage to Haya, he's still his highness the sheikh.
3-Sure, Aljalila is a sheikha cause she's the daughter of a Sheikh even if her mother is a princess :)

lady blue 04-30-2011 06:39 PM

well i can give you an answer for two questions..
shiekh mohammed does not get a tittle from marring Haya as women follow men with tittles not the other way around..
aljalilah is a shiekha as again she goes after her daddy but sheema is a princess not a shiekha

Nahla10 04-30-2011 06:43 PM

Thanks for answering I thought Aljalila might be a princess since the princess and the HRH-titles are "higher" than the Shaikha and HH-title.
Well about bahrain: I thought all of the kings sons are Royal Highnesses but like HRH Shaikh Nasser not Prince Nasser. But I was wrong only the crown prince is a Royal Highness all his other kids are only Highnesses.
This whole thing is quite difficult lol :D

sally1234 04-30-2011 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady blue (Post 1245988)
well i can give you an answer for two questions..
shiekh mohammed does not get a tittle from marring Haya as women follow men with tittles not the other way around..
aljalilah is a shiekha as again she goes after her daddy but sheema is a princess not a shiekha

Sheema is a Sheikha since her Dad is a Sheikh not a Prince.

Warren 05-01-2011 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sally1234 (Post 1245982)
1- Even if Bahrain is a kingdom, the king is the only one having a royal name, the other members are still Sheikhs & Sheikhas.

In October 2009 King Hamad created his son Sheikh Salman a Prince with the style of Royal Highness.

Burzg 06-08-2011 06:22 AM

Why Princess Haya Is not Called Shekha ?

dazzling 06-08-2011 08:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burzg (Post 1263942)
Why Princess Haya Is not Called Shekha ?

Because she was born a Princess in her own right.
Title Sheikha is not as high as a Princess.

Burzg 06-08-2011 09:59 AM

so shkha is for normal girl to princess ? i mean when normal girl become shekha

Warren 06-08-2011 04:26 PM

:previous:
Generally speaking:
A Princess is the daughter of a King or a Prince and is usually but not always 'royal'.
A Sheikha is the daughter of an Emir (eg Sheikh Mohammed, Ruler [Emir] of Dubai), or a Sheikh. A ruling Emir is in effect a Prince but not styled as one.

In Bahrain only the Crown Prince is formally styled 'Prince'; The King's other children are Sheikhs and Sheikhas.
King Hamad of Bahrain was previously the Emir of Bahrain. In 2002 Bahrain became a Kingdom. Thus royal and emirati styles are mixed.

Annethebest 11-07-2011 11:02 PM

FYI - princess and Sheikha is the same thing. UAE is a sheikhdom while kSA is a kingdom.

blauerengel 11-08-2011 09:48 AM

I donīt want to be picky but Princess and Sheikha are NOT the same,just like Duke or Princess,they are all royal titles but they shouldnīt be confused:

Empress/Emperor and Prince/Princess ->Empire like in Japan
Princess/Queen-Prince/King ->Kingdom (like Jordan)
Sheikh/Sheikha-Emir->Sheikhdom/Emirat like UAE (Emir means something like ruler/leader,they come from a chosen tribe or family which is usually quite big with lots of children)
Duke/Duchess-Grand Duke->Duchy like Luxembourg

lady blue 11-08-2011 10:09 AM

actually the word Amir means prince /malik means king! :)

Isotta 11-08-2011 02:06 PM

Does Emir have some military connotation?

blauerengel 11-08-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lady blue (Post 1335231)
actually the word Amir means prince /malik means king! :)

Really? I was told it means ruler,I thought the Emir is the most powerful man of the country- so it would be not logical if it meant Prince,because Prince is less (usually younger) than a king/ruler/emperor etc. But I donīt speak Arabic and maybe there is no proper translation because in the Middle East the whole government and monarchies work completely different & have other hierarchies than in the West...

sally1234 11-08-2011 08:07 PM

Emir means prince but it's only used in Qatar. Cause i've never heard another ruler called Emir.

Annethebest 11-08-2011 09:15 PM

I'm sorry I disagree with you, you see in my opinion sheikh and prince or Sheikha and princess is the same thing because in the UAE there are 7 emirates and 6 ruling or royal families. They are not tribal sheikhs, a tribal sheikh is when a sheikh rules over his tribe. Some families like AlAmry for example have a sheikh in their tribe that sometimes talks on behalf of the tribe. There is a difference between ruling families which I consider royalty and tribal sheikhs. The UAE 6 ruling families are sheikhs or princes. Sheikhdom= is very much similar to kingdom. They rule just like kings or princes. They don't rule their tribe. The UAE is a monachary not a tribal colony.

blauerengel 11-08-2011 09:34 PM

Iīm sure you have greater understanding about Arab royalty and governing styles,but for me the title Prince only applies for sons of a King or a man who marries a Princess...but I guess it doesnīt make much sense to compare Western and Arabic monarchies,because they are very different in many ways...

Isotta 11-09-2011 08:24 AM

Emir - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia I decided to go looking for myself and found the article. It makes a good deal of sense to me. I don't like to disagree with Sally1234 but... there are other emirs in other places beside Qatar. For instance, the United Arab Emirates, it's called that because it is a group of territories ruled by emirs which have formed a larger country for the common good. There are 7 emirs involved. That seems a fair example.

I do agree with Blauerengel, it is almost impossible to equate Eastern and Western rulers. They don't translate neatly one into the other.

If I am wrong, please correct me. I have studied a bit of this but am by no means an expert.

Warren 11-09-2011 10:34 AM

The Rulers of the Trucial States were referred to as Emirs. When the Trucial States formed the United Arab Emirates the term 'Ruler' came into fashion and to a large extent replaced the use of 'Emir'. For example, Sheikh Mohammed is known formally as the Ruler of Dubai. As Dubai is an emirate rather than a sheikhdom, he is also the Emir.