The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Chit Chat (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/)
-   -   The Most Powerful Throne Today? (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f235/the-most-powerful-throne-today-31251.html)

Australian 06-05-2011 08:34 AM

The Most Powerful Throne Today?

I was just wondering who sits on the most powerful throne today? Maybe we could also break it down for each continent if possible.

Lumutqueen 06-05-2011 09:07 AM

Most powerful in what context?

TLLK 06-05-2011 09:48 AM

I agree :previous:. Could you please be more specific in what you mean by "powerful?"

kathia_sophia 06-05-2011 10:07 AM

maybe what he wants to say, is who have more power leading and ruling the country. ill say in my opinion, who is more powerful are monarchs who are absolutists. aka: brunei, united arab emirates, etc...

NotHRH 06-05-2011 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kathia_sophia
maybe what he wants to say, is who have more power leading and ruling the country. ill say in my opinion, who is more powerful are monarchs who are absolutists. aka: brunei, united arab emirates, etc...

My thoughts on this subject were almost identical to the ones stated in you reply. Although not researched (by me), realistically it is more than likely the monarch from one of the oil-producing, Middle Eastern/Arab/Muslim countries.

XeniaCasaraghi 06-24-2011 01:18 AM

Middle East/Arab nations

doric44 06-24-2011 02:08 AM

well to be more specific then just arab monarchy..
the saudi royal family would be the family with the most power of any royal family in the world.
in europe it would be the Princely family of liechtenstien they have the most political power of any european royals

in asia the sultan of brunei

XeniaCasaraghi 07-09-2011 10:00 PM

Liechenstein is apparently one of the few countries in Europe that has a monarchy that actually has power.

Grandduchess24 03-02-2012 02:51 PM

Definitely the house of al saud(Saudi royal family) and if they had a throne the house of thin and taxis because prince Albert is young, single and is a billionaire.

CyrilVladisla 12-10-2017 04:16 PM

Great Britain. Queen Elizabeth II has been the sovereign for over sixty years. She puts her royal duties first.

wyevale 12-10-2017 04:23 PM

'Actual' Power -the House of Saud. 'Soft' Power -the House of Windsor.

Duc_et_Pair 12-10-2017 04:26 PM

In Europe it is Liechtenstein and Monaco but of course also there the Sovereign's power is very limited by the Constitution.

Duc_et_Pair 12-10-2017 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyevale (Post 2049522)
'Actual' Power -the House of Saud. 'Soft' Power -the House of Windsor.

That soft power is a myth. Look at Brexit. Every red line, everthing the EU could "go whistle for", in soccer terms it is 10-0 for the EU half time. How does that "soft power" and her six decades of kingship substantiate then? Did Theresa May won a "better" result because it is Elizabeth sitting there near the electric heater in the fireplace at Windsor Castle and not Charles?

Leopoldine 12-10-2017 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Duc_et_Pair (Post 2049528)
In Europe it is Liechtenstein and Monaco but of course also there the Sovereign's power is very limited by the Constitution.

The Pope is technically an absolute monarch.

Countessmeout 12-11-2017 01:39 AM

Absolute monarchs: Vatican, Brunei, Swaziland, Saudi Arabia and Oman

UAE and Qatar are similar. In Qatar, the head of the government and head of state are two different people, though both the same family. UAE is of course seven independent absolute monarchies that form a federation. The ruler of abu dabi serves as president, and the ruler of Dubai as prime minister.

No constitutional monarchy comes close to matching the power of an absolute monarch. Yes they have influence, like the Windsors, but not the kind of power.

Beyond the Vatican, the most powerful European monarch (in constitutional power and not simply influence) would be Lichtenstein.

Iluvbertie 12-11-2017 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CyrilVladisla (Post 2049520)
Great Britain. Queen Elizabeth II has been the sovereign for over sixty years. She puts her royal duties first.

She is however a figurehead with no power. She can't even say what she wants to or control who stays in her home. If the government tells her to do something she has to do it. As far as power goes she is powerless.

Duc_et_Pair 12-11-2017 03:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iluvbertie (Post 2049707)
She is however a figurehead with no power. She can't even say what she wants to control who stays in her home. If the government tells her to do something she has to do it. As far as power goes she is powerless.

That is true. Like every constitutional monarch she is met with all égards and honours but when it is business time, it is the Government who is the puppet master.

Mirabel 12-11-2017 04:09 AM

Depends on what type of power.
If it's political power, then I would say one of the Arab monarchies. (I don't follow them so I can't be more specific).

But if you mean generating worldwide interest and influence, then I would say the British.

Duc_et_Pair 12-11-2017 11:10 AM

It is only good that the monarchies are powerless. In 2018 it is really not acceptable that monarchs hold power purely because they were born in that position. The last monarch with real power in a substantial country was Simeon Prinz von Sachsen-Coburg und Gotha, Herzog von Sachsen, former King of Bulgaria, who was Prime Minister (2000-2005) and -with holding real power- blew up all good prospects for a restoration of his lost throne. Exactly the fact that he held real power, was a real PM, made him partisan and that was the end of any monarchal aspiration. As PM he guided Bulgaria into NATO and EU, and like in other Eastern-European countries opinions were VERY clashing with pro-Russian and pro-EU/pro-NATO blocks and a partisan former King as PM advocating one direction.

Osipi 12-11-2017 11:28 AM

Just to add a bit of levity to the conversation, I'd have to say the most powerful and important throne to all of us is the Porcelain Goddess when we really, really need her. :whistling:

As we're in the 21st century now, I don't think we can actually look at any throne in the world today as being the most powerful. No monarchy has the power (or the wish) to dominate, subjugate, control or conquer lands as they did in times of old. Those that hold the thrones today do so to serve the their people whether it be a constitutional of absolute monarchy.

The real problems arise when there is a dictatorship governmental leader that not only works against his own people but against the stability of his own country by threatening the world to inflate one's own ego. A prime example of this would be Kim Jong Un of North Korea.