The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Life and Lifestyle (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/)
-   -   Foreign Royals in UK (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f161/foreign-royals-in-uk-31146.html)

tommy1716 05-20-2011 06:50 PM

Foreign Royals in UK

I was wondering if we could make a list of foreign royals who live fulltime or have houses in the UK?

I was wondering also which royals are cuurently studying in the UK?

I can think of the following who live in the UK

Prince Friso and Princess Mabel (The Netherlands)
King Constantine and Queen Anne-Marie of Greece

That's all I can think of at the moment, anybody else have any suggestions?

Mermaid1962 05-20-2011 06:56 PM

Do the Crown Prince and Princess of Serbia live in London? I believe that they did at one time.

JulieS 05-20-2011 07:02 PM

Crown Prince Pavlos and Crown Princess Marie Chantal of Greece live in London.

martina 05-21-2011 10:50 AM

I read that Prince Nikolaos and Princess Tatiana of Greece live in London too.

Midwestern Mom 07-08-2011 04:46 PM

The (he is in his teens) heir to the throne of Scotland resides in London.

Elly C 09-12-2011 03:48 PM

I would imagine there may be some royal princes at the Royal Military Academy of Sandhurst - their alumni contains many from Arab states & other deposed monarchies.

The article below also lists some foreign royals resident here
The Independent

KittyAtlanta 09-12-2011 05:48 PM

Crown Prince Alexander II of Serbia, who's the Queen's Godson, was born in Claridge's hotel after his family left German-occupied Yugoslavia in 1941, exiling themselves in London. A small quantity of Yugoslavian dirt was placed underneath the bed (how Count Vlad is that???LOL) when Alexander was born in 1945 so he would technically be born on Yugoslavian soil. Prime Minister Winston Churchill declared suite 212 (the room where he was born) at Claridge's to be Yugoslavian territory.

He has since regained his Yugoslav citizenship and is in the process of recovering his royal residence in Belgrade.

Diarist 09-13-2011 06:40 PM

Information is sometimes hard to find because of security issues, but I believe that a number of Crowned Heads do keep houses in the UK. These are not just London bases [although these are popular] but country houses within fairly easy reach of London: in Surrey and Berkshire, to name two popular counties. I think that some Crowned Heads also keep a place in Scotland.

Many royal and princely families without their own accommodation in the UK tend to stay at Claridges. Princess Grace used to stay in the Connaught. This latter hotel is very grand indeed - it has (sadly) been re-vamped quite recently and I feel that its modernisation resulted in it losing its almost 'timeless' feeling of grandeur and luxury, which has begun to be replaced by this sort of 'modern luxury that is not really real luxury' feeling, which is too hard to define. Some of my family always stay/ed at the Connaught - it is slightly more 'tucked away' and therefore more private than some the Ritz and Claridges etc.

I do have a very funny story about Princess Grace. Years and years ago, I spotted a very young [teenage] Princess Caroline outside The Connaught. She seemed to be having a row with the Doorman. There was some fairly audible shouting. One of my aunts happened to be staying at the hotel at the time, and I had been visiting her. She later found out what had happened. Apparently Caroline had turned up to visit Princess Grace, who was also staying there at the same time as my aunt. [possibly for the same reason - a flower arranging symposium was on in London at that time.] The Connaught had [and I think it still has] a very strict 'no jeans' policy. Princess Caroline had turned up in jeans. The Connaught Doorman [in accordance with this policy] had therefore stopped Caroline from entering. Caroline was very angry and so apparently sent a message to Princess Grace, complaining that the Doorman would not let her in becuase she was wearing jeans. Whereupon Princess Grace had sent back a message: 'Quite right too! First apologise to the Doorman, and then go and change your jeans and find something else to wear'. I always think that this story presents Princess Grace in a very good light - a mother insisting on proper behaviour and not trying to 'pull rank'.

Hope this amuses some of you,

Alex

fearghas 09-14-2011 12:17 AM

A branch of the Auerspergs live in the Uk, which is where Princess Alice of Bavaria met her huisband, Prince Lukas of Auersperg

NGalitzine 10-09-2011 04:40 PM

Don't Johan Friso and Mabel of Orange Nassau still live in London? A number of Arab royals also maintain homes in the UK.