The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Weddings General Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/)
-   -   Opinions on strapless wedding dresses (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f95/opinions-on-strapless-wedding-dresses-31047.html)

IloveCP 05-11-2011 02:46 PM

Opinions on strapless wedding dresses
 
I know everyone has their own opinions on wedding dresses but,Im wondering what the members think about strapless.I personally dont like them;it overdone and unoriginal.I rarely see a strapless dress that is original.Im glad its the norm for royals to not wear that.

Anyone else what to chime in?:smile:

KittyAtlanta 05-11-2011 02:58 PM

I have nothing against strapless in certain venues: hotels, backyards, dining rooms, beach, etc.

Never for a religious venue of any kind, either as a bride or a guest.

I was astounded that Autumn had strapless bridesmaid gowns...not even Zara looked good.

Lindy 05-11-2011 03:19 PM

I don't like strapless wedding gowns either. My best friend's daughter is getting married and she tells me that 80%+ of wedding gowns in the stores are strapless. Thank heavens Kate Middleton and her sister had the good sense not to wear them.

First of all, I think they are inapproriate for a church weddings. Some kind of jacket should be worn in church with a strapless gown. Secondly, very few woman have the figure to pull them off. You have to have nice shoulders, a high bust that is not too big or small, and not too much space between your neck and the top of the dress. I thought that Alexander of Gloucester's wife looked too bare in her stapless gown. It reminded me of someone who has wrapped a towel around themselves after a shower.

Empress Merel 05-11-2011 03:32 PM

Depends all on the person, really.
And the style ofcourse! I hate those glittery tops and crinolines. I blame Sissi. And the body type has to be perfect aswell.
Personally, I love strapless but I have strong shoulders so posture is everything when wearing something strapless.
Upper arms have to be trained aswell. Or cover them up or wear some sort of sleeve. A lot of women look like blow-up dolls in strapless. Straps are getting more in style aswell, so it seems. Not just in bridal wear. A lot of HF stuff has some sort of sleeve or strap now.

Lumutqueen 05-11-2011 03:35 PM

I love strapless wedding gowns for all kinds of weddings.

tea-n-tiaras 05-11-2011 03:49 PM

Strapless wedding dresses are absolutely inappropriate for church. One should have their shoulders covered in church. And their cleavage - Hello, Pippa!

I am so sick and tired of strapless wedding dresses. They are BORING in addition to being inappropriate in a church setting. They all look - the SAME!

And as stated in previous posts - not just anybody looks good in them.

lallyvee 05-11-2011 03:50 PM

Hate them especially in a church. The vast majority of woman do not look good in them. I hope they fade away.

Mirabel 05-11-2011 09:52 PM

I am so very tired of them.
They are ubiquitous, and make every woman look like she is in uniform!

They've been fashionable for a decade, so I hope the trend is fading...there is a reality television show in the USA in which women select bridal gowns- they mostly are strapless and the women look hideous! (Maybe one out of ten looks nice, but the rest are horrible).

But the style keeps hanging on!

Lady-Jayne 05-11-2011 10:42 PM

I do not understand the popularity of strapless bridal gowns. Unless you have the perfect body for them and the gown fits perfectly, you neither look good, nor feel comfortable. It is not a good look to see a bride who constantly has to hitch up her gown to ensure some level of modesty! I certainly do not understand why many brides choose to wear such an uncomfortable garment on their wedding days.

I also agree with the posts which state that they are not at all suitable for a church wedding.

I was hoping that HRH Duchess of Cambridge's gown would lead a trend towards sleeves (as I was certain that she would have sleeves).

I have been watching the bridal shops I drive past on my way to work (I pass several) and unfortuately there has been no appreciable change so far. I suppose they have to display their existing stock and perhaps I am being impatient!

dilsnub 05-11-2011 10:57 PM

I'm not a fan of strapless... the majority of women who wear them don't quite, uh... fill them out nd that just looks funny.

kelly1994 05-11-2011 11:35 PM

I wouldn't want a strapless gown but most gowns today are strapless. I think it's classier to your shoulders. Just my opinion.

What I can't stand is how all wedding dresses are white. People say white means purity in wedding dresses but they really don't; used to be wedding dresses were any color you wanted, wedding dresses are white because Queen Victoria was married in a white dress and when girls saw her get married in white they wanted to get married in white too, and then it became that white meant purity and it doesn't.

The whole white thing (and strapless nowadays) just seems so overdone to me. I want to be different in my wedding.

Maura724 05-12-2011 12:10 AM

I would consider myself a pretty religious person, and I don't find anything wrong with a strapless wedding dress in church. There's nothing particularly immodest or sexual about shoulders. Modesty with wedding dresses is really more an issue of neckline IMO.

I like strapless dresses and will probably wear one myself when I get married because I think I personally look good in them. However, I find it frustrating that that's pretty much the only style anyone wears and the only style you can find. Not everyone likes to wear strapless dresses - I've had so many friends tell me they won't wear that style because they feel like it's falling off - and not everyone looks good in a strapless gown. I've seen so many brides in strapless who would have been much better off in something else.

wanderingnana 05-12-2011 12:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dilsnub (Post 1251826)
I'm not a fan of strapless... the majority of women who wear them don't quite, uh... fill them out nd that just looks funny.

Quite frankly, the majority of women fill them out too much- there is too much extraneous flesh hanging out of most of them

dilsnub 05-12-2011 12:41 AM

That is the other extreme yes.... IMO still better than the half bowl of jello look

tea-n-tiaras 05-12-2011 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Maura724 (Post 1251844)
I would consider myself a pretty religious person, and I don't find anything wrong with a strapless wedding dress in church. There's nothing particularly immodest or sexual about shoulders. Modesty with wedding dresses is really more an issue of neckline IMO.

I like strapless dresses and will probably wear one myself when I get married because I think I personally look good in them. However, I find it frustrating that that's pretty much the only style anyone wears and the only style you can find. Not everyone likes to wear strapless dresses - I've had so many friends tell me they won't wear that style because they feel like it's falling off - and not everyone looks good in a strapless gown. I've seen so many brides in strapless who would have been much better off in something else.

You do not see anything sexual about bare shoulders, but ask a man what he thinks about bare shoulders. You are thinking like a woman - not a man.

A woman may sit in church with bare shoulders and see nothing wrong with it, but the men around her will notice and be distracted. And the wives of those men who are married will notice, too. And those wives won't think well of the one sitting in a church service displaying her bare shoulders.

The reason there are churches that require covered shoulders is that it is not conducive to worship. It draws the focus from God to bare shoulders.
Church is not the place to be advertising oneself.

Add the fact that most strapless dresses don't stay up well.

I agree with others - that the constant hitching up of one's dress is not attractive. A real downfall to the strapless dress.

Jacknch 05-12-2011 02:15 AM

I'm afraid to say that, IMO, strapless wedding dresses do not suit all women nor do they suit all sizes, slim or fuller figured. Strapless dresses are basic corsetry, right? Corsetry basically holds you all in and can hide any unwanted curves while accentuating the decolletage etc right? Well what about the bits at the top round the sides and back that over flow like a pint of beer and all hang out in an unsightly way? It's just not a great look and has less to do with size and rather more to do with the bride in question not being fitted properly and being badly advised by the salesperson. It's a problem with an overly slim woman who can look lost in such corsetry like a pencil in a drainpipe.

Brides around the world are being ripped off by being limited to buying strapless dresses that are easier and cheaper to make, use less materials but costs the same! How many dress makers out there save time and money on not having to make sleeves and a proper top?!

dazzling 05-12-2011 02:37 AM

I don't think strapless wedding dresses are elegant in any way. I love long sleeved wedding dresses, they just seem to always complete a wedding look.

Mirabel 05-12-2011 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dazzling (Post 1251885)
I don't think strapless wedding dresses are elegant in any way. I love long sleeved wedding dresses, they just seem to always complete a wedding look.


I agree!
And I think many brides feel the same way, but end up wearing strapless anyway because that's what's available.

Yes, it is possible to find something with sleeves, but today such dresses are ultra-conservative and often not very pretty, so the bride ends up opting for strapless despite what she intended.

Lately I've seen many strapless dresses with (optional) wide lacy straps; brides are increasingly adding these for a bit more coverage, at least in church.

Sternchen 05-12-2011 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady-Jayne (Post 1251821)
I do not understand the popularity of strapless bridal gowns. Unless you have the perfect body for them and the gown fits perfectly, you neither look good, nor feel comfortable. It is not a good look to see a bride who constantly has to hitch up her gown to ensure some level of modesty! I certainly do not understand why many brides choose to wear such an uncomfortable garment on their wedding days.

This is exactly why I chose a non-strapless wedding gown :D I didn't want to be constantly fussing with my dress :D Alas, my dress doesn't have straps either :D

And you can find fashionable gowns that are not strapless, at least in Germany :D

http://justinalexanderbridal.com/pro...entity_id=1071

Mystiblue 05-12-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindy (Post 1251608)
I don't like strapless wedding gowns either. My best friend's daughter is getting married and she tells me that 80%+ of wedding gowns in the stores are strapless. Thank heavens Kate Middleton and her sister had the good sense not to wear them.

First of all, I think they are inapproriate for a church weddings. Some kind of jacket should be worn in church with a strapless gown. Secondly, very few woman have the figure to pull them off. You have to have nice shoulders, a high bust that is not too big or small, and not too much space between your neck and the top of the dress. I thought that Alexander of Gloucester's wife looked too bare in her stapless gown. It reminded me of someone who has wrapped a towel around themselves after a shower.

Agree with you there Lindy. Something elegant, lacy, demure for wedding dresses. Some brides who wear strapless gowns and are big busted....well I'll leave it to your imagination. You have to be very tiny to carry it off ... IMHO ;)


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:28 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises