The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge and Family (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/)
-   -   Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, CA July 8-10, 2011 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f269/duke-and-duchess-of-cambridge-visit-to-los-angeles-ca-july-8-10-2011-a-30989.html)

Zonk 05-05-2011 09:25 AM

Duke and Duchess of Cambridge: Visit to Los Angeles, CA July 8-10, 2011
 
The newly wed Duke and Duchess of Cambridge will visit California in July following their first official tour as a married couple in Canada, the royal family announced Thursday.

Prince William and Catherine are scheduled to be in California from July 8-10, Clarence House and St. James' Palace said in a statement.
The prince has never visited the United States in an official capacity, although he has come on a private trip. This will be the duchess' first time ever to come to the United States, the royal statement explained.
The couple married April 29, in an event watched by an estimated 2 billion viewers around the globe.

Prince William's father, Prince Charles, is currently in the United States. Wednesday, he visited a farm near Washington and met with President Barack Obama at the White House. Prince Charles is a longtime public advocate of sustainable and organic agriculture.

Marika86 05-05-2011 09:31 AM

The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge To Visit California, United States of America

Nico 05-05-2011 09:36 AM

it's gonna be hysterical for sure...

Jacknch 05-05-2011 09:36 AM

Well that's exciting news! I wonder why California was chosen for the extra three days? My first official visit to the United States - erm... my honeymoon ;-) - was New England which I thought was a wonderful place to go for a first trip.

I think the Canadian/Californian trip will be well covered in the media!

KittyAtlanta 05-05-2011 09:42 AM

Maybe Vancouver BC is on their itinerary. It's just a skip to California, depending where you visit.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nico (Post 1248662)
it's gonna be hysterical for sure...



Why hysterical?

Nico 05-05-2011 09:49 AM

:previous:

With the media coverage...

texankitcat 05-05-2011 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jacknch (Post 1248663)
Well that's exciting news! I wonder why California was chosen for the extra three days? My first official visit to the United States - erm... my honeymoon ;-) - was New England which I thought was a wonderful place to go for a first trip.

I think the Canadian/Californian trip will be well covered in the media!

Well covered is an understatement. Celebrities in the US are fair game for Paparazzi and Royalty will be no exception...particularly in Hollywood. I am somewhat surprised that they will not be going to Washington D.C. I imagine Obama will be viewed in the media as being slighted once again. First with the wedding invite, and now with their first trip to the US. We shall see how that all plays out.

Prince Charles is in DC right now, but I haven't seen even a blip in the media about it. That won't be the case when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit.

Zonk 05-05-2011 09:56 AM

I live in DC and there has been coverage of Charles's visit. Its been on the local news and mentioned in the Washington Post. I haven't been out yet so it might even be in the Washington Times.

And this LA visit has nothing to do with Obama...I am still waiting for an agenda. What's the purpose of this stop over?

AuroraB 05-05-2011 09:57 AM

C-SPAN's website has a video of his speech at Georgetown University. Link also in POW visit to USA.

KittyAtlanta 05-05-2011 10:06 AM

The extra three days might be private time. Perhaps they will stay at the Madonna Inn (not named after the singer) just outside San Luis Obispo. It is a wonderful old resort that is built into the Pacific cliffs. One of the guest rooms is hewn from solid rock.

Cinderella5x 05-05-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by texankitcat (Post 1248668)
Well covered is an understatement. Celebrities in the US are fair game for Paparazzi and Royalty will be no exception...particularly in Hollywood. I am somewhat surprised that they will not be going to Washington D.C. I imagine Obama will be viewed in the media as being slighted once again. First with the wedding invite, and now with their first trip to the US. We shall see how that all plays out.

Prince Charles is in DC right now, but I haven't seen even a blip in the media about it. That won't be the case when the Duke and Duchess of Cambridge visit.

I live in CA and there has been a coverage in the media, I saw quite a few clips from Price Charles' visit.

Lumutqueen 05-05-2011 11:08 AM

Their visit may create hysteria in the young teenage girls in LA, but are people going to come out and see these two on mass? What do the LA members think?

I would like to know the answer to Zonks question, why are they going?

MissEvangeline 05-05-2011 11:41 AM

Perhaps they chose L.A. because of the Beckhams? Whatever the case, my friends in that area are already dreading the horrible traffic jams this will create! It's hard to believe this will be the Duchess's first trip to the States, I thought she had been to NYC before.

CrownPrincess5 05-05-2011 12:02 PM

They're coming to my city! Finally.
I wonder what they'll be be visiting.

CrownPrincess5 05-05-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lumutqueen
Their visit may create hysteria in the young teenage girls in LA, but are people going to come out and see these two on mass? What do the LA members think?

I would like to know the answer to Zonks question, why are they going?

I would like to know that too.

No people in LA aren't going to come out and see them...it would probably be the tourists who will make a big deal of it. As far as the city goes, most of them could care less about Will and Kate coming to town. People in LA are used to seeing celebs all over the place. So there won't be a mass hysteria...and if there is it'll be because of tourists.

Vita 05-05-2011 01:46 PM

OMG. I mean no offense to Californians which is a perfectly beautiful state, but there in lines my point: Out of all the places in that awesome state, why L.A. first? Sure that's once town that can use a bit of class and lessons in how to act demurely and what not, but couldn't they save that for like Armageddon or something? LOL.

Why not Napa Valley or San Francisco where they have that nice art district? You know a place where culture doesn't mean wearing your Uggs with baby doll dresses? Just saying. Sorry. Just got into an altercation a few days ago with a family member from LA and I swear her brain has turned into vapid mush. She left the east coast perfectly able-bodied and intelligent. Three years and a few months later the only thing she could talk about was her non-existent waistline and how Fred Segal's, "should totally reconsider Lindsay Lohan's legging line" which is "fabulous" by the way.

Meanwhile, as someone posted the Beckhams, as posh as they are also a bit rough around Tynesdale edges, do live there so maybe they will visit with them and even stay at their home do you think?

Royal_Eagle 05-05-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vita (Post 1248781)
OMG. I mean no offense to Californians which is a perfectly beautiful state, but there in lines my point: Out of all the places in that awesome state, why L.A. first? Sure that's once town that can use a bit of class and lessons in how to act demurely and what not, but couldn't they save that for like Armageddon or something? LOL.

Why not Napa Valley or San Francisco where they have that nice art district? You know a place where culture doesn't mean wearing your Uggs with baby doll dresses? Just saying. Sorry. Just got into an altercation a few days ago with a family member from LA and I swear her brain has turned into vapid mush. She left the east coast perfectly able-bodied and intelligent. Three years and a few months later the only thing she could talk about was her non-existent waistline and how Fred Segal's, "should totally reconsider Lindsay Lohan's legging line" which is "fabulous" by the way.

Meanwhile, as someone posted the Beckhams, as posh as they are also a bit rough around Tynesdale edges, do live there so maybe they will visit with them and even stay at their home do you think?

Frankly, I agree. No offense to the LA folks (I have a few friends there), but really they could have picked better places to visit, especially for Catherine's first visit to USA (honestly--she has never been here before??). SF would be better place, and how about Northwest? Portland might be real nice, as it's a laid-back city (I think they call themselves a city that is really town or something like that).

EmpressRouge 05-05-2011 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Royal_Eagle (Post 1248797)
Frankly, I agree. No offense to the LA folks (I have a few friends there), but really they could have picked better places to visit, especially for Catherine's first visit to USA (honestly--she has never been here before??). SF would be better place, and how about Northwest? Portland might be real nice, as it's a laid-back city (I think they call themselves a city that is really town or something like that).

I am originally from the SF Bay Area and will always sing the praises of my city, but they're not coming here as tourists, they are coming in an official captivity right after their tour of Canada. I think a lot of it has to do with logistics. They needed to go to a major (i.e. big) city who can accommodate an official visit during those specific dates, which means it would probably have to be on the West Coast (which is probably why NYC and DC were not considered). Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US and probably had the most resources to prepare for the fanfare of the couple's first state tour.
I love SF and Napa, but I think given his most recent speech at Georgetown, it would have more meaning for Prince Charles to visit the birthplace of organic, local and sustainable farming/eating movement in the US. Although William hasn't clearly defined his causes, he did work a lot with the poor and homeless and maybe LA, being such a big metropolis, would be a great place to highlight those issues (imagine Prince Charles in LA "admiring" the modern architecture. And he and Catherine both spent gap years in Chile, so a big Hispanic population lets them show off their Spanish? ;)

Sonjapearl 05-05-2011 02:35 PM

I don't understand why they're going to L.A. either. To meet Hollywood royalty?

I live in NYC and would love to see them here. And it makes more sense for W&K to come to NYC because we're accustomed to seeing royalty here. Plus, diplomatically, it makes sense because of the U.N., the international feel here, and so on.

I guess I'll have to keep waiting.

texankitcat 05-05-2011 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EmpressRouge (Post 1248800)
I am originally from the SF Bay Area and will always sing the praises of my city, but they're not coming here as tourists, they are coming in an official captivity right after their tour of Canada. I think a lot of it has to do with logistics. They needed to go to a major (i.e. big) city who can accommodate an official visit during those specific dates, which means it would probably have to be on the West Coast (which is probably why NYC and DC were not considered). Los Angeles is the second largest city in the US and probably had the most resources to prepare for the fanfare of the couple's first state tour.
I love SF and Napa, but I think given his most recent speech at Georgetown, it would have more meaning for Prince Charles to visit the birthplace of organic, local and sustainable farming/eating movement in the US. Although William hasn't clearly defined his causes, he did work a lot with the poor and homeless and maybe LA, being such a big metropolis, would be a great place to highlight those issues (imagine Prince Charles in LA "admiring" the modern architecture. And he and Catherine both spent gap years in Chile, so a big Hispanic population lets them show off their Spanish? ;)

I am originally from the Bay Area as well, and culturally speaking it has a lot more to offer.

Since this is an official trip, what could Los Angeles possibly offer in that respect? I have never heard of Royalty doing any official visits to Los Angeles in the past. I can certainly see DC and NY since those are the hub of most international interests. But Los Angeles? :ermm:


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:58 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises