The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/)
-   -   Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to Ireland - 17-20 May 2011 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f118/queen-elizabeth-ii-and-the-duke-of-edinburgh-state-visit-to-ireland-17-20-may-2011-a-30595.html)

Warren 02-24-2011 03:10 PM

Queen Elizabeth II and the Duke of Edinburgh: State Visit to Ireland - 17-20 May 2011

Queen to become first British monarch to visit Ireland for a century on May 15 | Mail Online

The Queen will become the first British monarch to visit Ireland for a century when she goes on a state visit in May. Her grandfather George V was the last King to visit in 1911 before the Republic had secured independence.

Relations between Westminster and Dublin have improved dramatically since the historic Good Friday Northern Ireland peace agreement in 1998 so a visit is possible for the first time. But for security reasons the state trip is likely to be confined to the Irish capital.

Irish President Mary McAleese is said to be keen to welcome Queen Elizabeth before her term ends in October. They have met several times.
The monarch is expected to fly out to Ireland on May 15 and stay in Dublinís Phoenix Park. Although she has visited Northern Ireland 18 times she has never gone south of the border.

An Ard Ri 03-04-2011 02:43 PM

The President of Ireland, Mary McAleese has announced Britain's Queen Elizabeth II has accepted an invitation to visit the Republic later this year.

Queen Elizabeth visit confirmed - The Irish Times - Fri, Mar 04, 2011

MRSJ 03-04-2011 05:27 PM

The palace has annouced the Queen is going to Ireland

Per @royalreporter Twitter

Lumutqueen 03-04-2011 05:51 PM

State Visit to Ireland announcement, 4 March 2011

Quote:

THE FOLLOWING STATEMENT IS ISSUED BY THE PRESS SECRETARY TO THE QUEEN
The Queen has been pleased to accept an invitation from the President of Ireland to pay a State Visit to Ireland this year. The Queen will be accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh.

Princejohnny25 03-04-2011 06:27 PM

It's finally happening! Ah, how wonderfully exciting. I was sorta hoping it would be a family affair and Charles and Camilla wld join them but either way, I'm thrilled to bits. I wonder if there will be a reinstatement of the Order of St. Patrick, with the Queen and President of Ireland as shared heads of the order. It wld be a great way to honour those who have worked to further anglo-irish relations.

RoyalistRiley 03-04-2011 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MRSJ (Post 1212432)
The palace has annouced the Queen is going to Ireland

Per @royalreporter Twitter

Didn't think I'd be seeing this anytime soon. I wonder what has brought it about.

Lord Rossmore 03-05-2011 02:19 PM

I am delighted about this visit and throughly welcome it hopefully she visits my town

An Ard Ri 03-06-2011 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stejak (Post 1212663)
I am delighted about this visit and throughly welcome it hopefully she visits my town

Me too Stejak!

wbenson 04-07-2011 01:53 PM

Announcement of programme for Ireland visit, 7 April 2011

As previously announced, The Queen, accompanied by The Duke of Edinburgh, will pay a State Visit to Ireland at the invitation of President Mary McAleese.

The visit will take place from Tuesday 17th to Friday 20th May 2011.

georgiea 04-11-2011 06:05 PM

£6.2m bill to protect Queen on visit to Ireland amid renewed terror fears | Mail Online

The Queen’s official visit to Ireland is risky - Telegraph

Fears over Queen's visit to Irish republican landmarks | UK news | The Observer

timtonruben359 05-14-2011 11:48 AM

The Queen and Prince Philip are set to begin their historic first visit to Ireland next week.

Queen Elizabeth set to pay her first visit to Ireland next week - Toronto Political Buzz | Examiner.com

Renata4711 05-15-2011 03:45 AM

This from Irish broadcaster Radio Telefis Eireann (RTE):

Britain's Queen Elizabeth to visit Ireland - RT News

... and a considered piece from Michael White, the Guardian correspondent:
A right royal visit to Ireland | Michael White | Politics | guardian.co.uk

Mark O 05-15-2011 01:51 PM

The Queen's state visit to Ireland

Hi, I'm looking forward to following the Queen's visit to Ireland this week, she'll be laying wreaths etc; and it's an opportunity to 'bury the hatchet' as it were, though I'm intrigued to learn what will be on the menu for the Presidential banquet, an Irish speciality maybe?

Lumutqueen 05-15-2011 02:19 PM

Armed British police to patrol Dublin streets for Queen's visit with fears of dissident attack | Mail Online

Lumutqueen 05-16-2011 03:12 PM

London bomb threat: Buckingham Palace area closed ahead of Queen's Ireland visit | Mail Online

An Ard Ri 05-16-2011 03:27 PM

The Irish President Mary McAleese has described the State visit of Britain's Queen Elizabeth as an 'extraordinary moment in Irish history'.

RTE News

State visit an extraordinary moment - McAleese - RT News

wbenson 05-17-2011 03:22 AM

Video, Queen In Ireland: Suspect Devices Found In Dublin Ahead Of Monarch's Visit | World News | Sky News

A second suspect package has been found in Dublin, ahead of the Queen's historic visit there today.

The device, found in Inchicore, Dublin, was made safe by the Irish army.

It follows the discovery of an improvised bomb in the luggage compartment of a bus on the outskirts of Maynooth, near Dublin.

Queen's visit to Ireland to go ahead despite bomb | Reuters

The Queen will go ahead with a visit to Ireland despite a bomb being found on a bus near Dublin, the Foreign Office said on Tuesday.

Lenora 05-17-2011 05:02 AM

It's shocking this matter,now hopefully everything will go well and I hope HM will enjoy the visit
Queen in Ireland: bomb found on bus just hours before state visit - mirror.co.uk

muriel 05-17-2011 05:12 AM

I do hope HM and the DoE have a safe and successful trip to Ireland.

An Ard Ri 05-17-2011 05:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by muriel (Post 1254211)
I do hope HM and the DoE have a safe and successful trip to Ireland.

As do the vast majority of Irish people,unfortunately there's a minority here who live in the past & want to disrupt the visit .I must point out that they do not represent the Irish people.

I'm also hoping the Irish weather behaves.

You can watch the arrival live from RTE

http://www.rte.ie/player/#l=8