The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels General Discussion (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f132/)
-   -   Tiara history, traditions, protocols, metals and meanings (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f132/tiara-history-traditions-protocols-metals-and-meanings-30594.html)

qweqaz 03-30-2004 10:42 AM

Tiara history, traditions, protocols, metals and meanings
 
was just wondering, seing as these crowns are handed down from generation to generation, the size of the mens/ladies heads dont stay the same. what happens if the crown is too small?

crowns are generally a solid ring/circlet encrusted with jewels, so how do they make it fit?

Mia 03-31-2004 05:05 AM

I would assume that most of the few actual crowns, which are used very seldom, are made quite large. There might be mechanisms inside like smaller circle than the outer measure wich can be sized along the wearer. So, I guess that monarchs with big head is not a problem. ;)

The more often worn tiara is usually quite flexible and can have hinges, so that the tiara isn't actually a solid piece but made of several pieces. Some of the tiaras are even so flexible that they can be worn as necklaces when detached from their base. This flexibility allows the tiaras to be worn on different size of heads and in different angles depending on the fashion.

reynard 03-31-2004 01:34 PM

Many crowns were made to fit over wigs, so they are usually pretty big, and tiaras were usually made to fit over BIG hair-do's and wigs as well and are also wider rather than smaller.

semisquare 06-03-2005 12:34 AM

ok i have a stupid question-if u r giving a taria what kind of package does it come it? does it come in a box or a bag for maybe a pouch? and do u keep it in a bank volt or do u have a special room just full of tiara. so u could say " lets not go through the dinning room to get to the kitchen but rather lets go through the tiara room."

reynard 06-03-2005 06:08 AM

6 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by semisquare
ok i have a stupid question-if u r giving a taria what kind of package does it come it? does it come in a box or a bag for maybe a pouch? and do u keep it in a bank volt or do u have a special room just full of tiara. so u could say " lets not go through the dinning room to get to the kitchen but rather lets go through the tiara room."

Tiaras usually have a hardcover case (see pics below). Some families have a vault at home, although many keep them at a bank vault. The Empress of Russia did indeed have a special room with glass cases so that she could give private tours to impress her guests. What I would give to be able to have seen THAT! btw, it's not a stupid question at all since storing tiaras is a problem most of us only dream of.

HRHAmy 01-26-2006 07:26 PM

So how do they keep the tiara's on? Are the pinned down or is there a elastic strip that goes around the head? Does anybody know?:)

Warren 01-26-2006 09:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HRHAmy
So how do they keep the tiara's on? Are the pinned down or is there a elastic strip that goes around the head? Does anybody know?:)

Most tiaras have clips or holes at the back for ribbon or elastic; if there is an open frame the hair (or hair extensions) can be woven around to secure it. Basically, whatever it takes depending on the hairstyle, the weight of the tiara, and the angle at which it is to be worn.

HRHAmy 01-26-2006 09:23 PM

Thank you Warren!

ysbel 01-26-2006 09:26 PM

I was wondering about this when I saw the Martha-Louise jewellery thread. She wore her great-grandmother Maud's wedding tiara and Maud was a very small woman.

I wonder if she had it altered.

Martha-Louise

Elspeth 01-27-2006 02:45 AM

Well, apart from St Edward's crown, which is used in all the British coronations but isn't worn for very long, there's usually a new crown for each monarch. The Queen wore the Imperial State Crown that had been made for her father, but that was rather unusual.

michelleq 06-08-2006 08:14 PM

I did not know where to place this and I did not want to start a new thread. If the Moderators can find a better place to place this question, I'm thanking you in advance.

I notice that alot of old Jewelry and Tiaras are made of gold covered with silver. Wouldn't they tarnish easy? Do they plate them with Rhodium? Any and all answers are welcomed!

Warren 06-09-2006 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by michelleq
I notice that alot of old Jewelry and Tiaras are made of gold covered with silver. Wouldn't they tarnish easy? Do they plate them with Rhodium? Any and all answers are welcomed!

This thread will do michellq :). I was reading elsewhere that silver tiara frames and fittings do tarnish and require regular cleaning. I recall one person saying that he was surprised with the Spencer Tiara when it was on exhibition in the US because the frame was tarnished. That would indicate it hadn't been coated or plated to protect the sheen. Gold doesn't tarnish so much but is heavy and expensive. Platinum is also expensive, but is very strong and therefore less of it is needed to hold everything together. Hope this helps.

michelleq 06-09-2006 12:23 PM

Perfect answer. Thanks again, Warren!

magnik 06-09-2006 04:47 PM

More tiaras are made of platinum or gold with or without silver. Some of them could be wear as a necklaces too. It's possible after take off a frame (hoop, arches?).

LadyLouise 06-12-2006 05:33 AM

I always wondered how does a tiara convert into a necklace? Does it clip off or something?

CasiraghiTrio 08-04-2006 01:28 PM

General questions about royal jewels
 
What is the difference between a tiara and a diadem?
What is the difference between a coronet and a crown?

magnik 08-04-2006 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
What is the difference between a tiara and a diadem?
What is the difference between a coronet and a crown?

Tiara http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tiara

Diadem http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diadem_%28personal_wear%29

Crown http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crown_%28headgear%29

Coronet http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coronet http://www.geocities.com/noelcox/coronets.htm

More: http://www.rarebooks.nd.edu/digital/...es/crowns.html

Warren 08-04-2006 01:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasiraghiTrio
What is the difference between a tiara and a diadem?
What is the difference between a coronet and a crown?

Very broadly:
a tiara has an open back; a diadem is a circlet. A tiara is a jewelled head ornament; a diadem has resonance of sovereignty.
A coronet is a heraldic device denoting Nobility; a crown is a symbol of a Monarch or Sovereign Prince.
[Christian] crowns generally have arches surmounted by a cross (religious symbolism); Royal crowns have arches dipped at the centre, Imperial crowns don't.

CasiraghiTrio 08-04-2006 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Warren
Very broadly:
a tiara has an open back; a diadem is a circlet. A tiara is a jewelled head ornament; a diadem has resonance of sovereignty.
A coronet is a heraldic device denoting Nobility; a crown is a symbol of a Monarch or Sovereign Prince.
[Christian] crowns generally have arches surmounted by a cross (religious symbolism); Royal crowns have arches dipped at the centre, Imperial crowns don't.

Oh see I always wondered about the different styles of crowns. I didn't specify that in my question, but I got a bonus.:flowers:
thank you both, Warren and magnik.

Prince of Chota 11-09-2006 04:19 AM

Also, you may often see a tiara in German called a "diadem," as this is the word.


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:10 PM.

Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2014
Jelsoft Enterprises