Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany and Princess Helena of Waldeck-Pyrmont - 1882
Prince Leopold, Duke of Albany (1853-1884)
son of Queen Victoria and Prince Albert of Saxe-Coburg & Gotha
Princess Helena of Waldeck and Pyrmont (1861-1922)
daughter of Georg Viktor, Reigning Prince of Waldeck and Pyrmont and Princess Helena of Nassau
Married at St Georges Chapel, Windsor 27 April 1882.
- - - - - - - - - -
A new blog, Royal Glitter has an article on the wedding (pic 1).
The site is in Dutch but can be translated (pic 2).
Thanks Warren! I didnt know that Els Smit started her own blog. She is one of the few Dutch royalty commentators who have something interesting to say/write!
Some interesting info from the article:
- the bride was escorted to church by her father and by her brother in law King Willem III of the Netherlands.
- the groom had to use a stick due to his recovery from a heamophilic attack.
- according to the dutch lady-in-waiting, the decolette of most guests was rather low ;).
- Queen Emma of The Netherlands (sister of Helen) paid for the dress.
- princess Beatrice wore a dress that previously belonged to Catherine of Aragon (1st wife of Henry VIII)
Thanks for starting this thread Warren. Princess Alice was another of the British Royal unsung heros who represented the British Royal Family with dignity. Majesty Magazine had an interesting article on Alice a few months ago and she appeared to be down to earth yet she could be very regal when she had to be.
We need some pictures...
1. Prince Leopold, c1880
2. Princess Helena at her wedding, 1882
3. The widowed Duchess of Albany in later years
(It's edvident that the liking for snake bracelets wasn't confined to Queen Alexandra!)
images not subject to copyright
Thank you Warren. A beautiful picture of the bride.
Just in case anyone checks this thread, I am looking for a detailed account of the wedding ceremony. Just about anything would be helpful.
Princess Helena had eight British aristocratic women serve as her bridesmaids. These ladies were: Lady Ermyntrude Russel, Lady Mary Campbell, Lady Alexandrina Vane-Tempest, Lady Florence Anson, Lady Anne Lindsay, Lady Florence Bootle-Wilbraham, Lady Feodore Yorke, and Lady Butler.
|All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:35 AM.|
Powered by vBulletin
Copyright ©2000 - 2017