The Royal Forums

The Royal Forums (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/)
-   Royal Jewels (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/)
-   -   Diana, Princess of Wales Jewellery 1: November 2002-September 2007 (http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums/f20/diana-princess-of-wales-jewellery-1-november-2002-september-2007-a-30.html)

sirhon11234 10-06-2006 10:13 PM

similar

Quote:

Originally Posted by corazon
camilla used this jewel now, here is the article
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/liv...n_page_id=1770

The pendent that Camilla wore is similar to Diana's but they are different. Camilla is not dumb to wear any of Diana's jewels. I believe Wymanda stated the difference of the pendents somewhere in the forums.

corazon 10-06-2006 10:17 PM

it's a copy?
I do not understand the sense of that
is a copy of a old royal jewel used in the past for all the princesses of wales since alexandra?

Elspeth 10-06-2006 10:53 PM

Several of the royal jewels exist in more than one copy. The Queen has a diamond and pearl necklace which is very similar to one owned by Princess Alexandra, and I think there are a couple of copies of the Prince Albert sapphire and diamond brooch as well as the original.

Squidgy 10-09-2006 12:46 PM

Diana in the early 90s (Does anyone know the date of this engagement?). It looks like she is wearing black pearl studs, but I'm not sure. She didn't wear these earrings too often.

Photo: New Idea (no photographer credited)

http://img159.imageshack.us/img159/7...arlstn3.th.jpg

Boris 10-09-2006 02:23 PM

Those are real dark grey pearls indeed. I believe they came with Prince Charles' present to his wife of a single strand of dark grey & white pearls which Princess Diana hasn't worn frequently either. According to Leslie Field, the designer of the set was Leo de Vroomen, around 1985.

Squidgy 10-09-2006 03:57 PM

Boris, I think you may be referring to a different set of earrings. I believe that the earrings that match the white/grey pearl necklace can be found in post #51. They are a bit larger, and also one earring is white, the other grey.

http://www.theroyalforums.com/forums...5&d=1126040637

Boris 10-09-2006 04:36 PM

Thank you for the correction, Squidgy - you're absolutely right! Your link shows the necklace I mentioned, but the earrings to go with it are indeed a different pair - one white, one dark grey plus a diamond - quite charming. I still think the earrings in post # 169 are real black pearls, BTW - whenever Princess Diana wore costume jewelry, especially in later years, the pieces were mostly larger and therefore deliberately detectable as 'just being for fun'.

branchg 10-09-2006 07:36 PM

Diana said she liked costume jewelry and often mixed them with her real pieces, so it's not that unusual if it was a fake.

scooter 10-11-2006 06:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lady Jean
I think it's only a headpiece / headband made of cloth to match the gown. Beautiful pictures, though.

I think she wrapped a string of pearls around the satin headband that matched the gown.

Lady Jean 10-11-2006 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wymanda
I wouldn't be too sure that Menkes facts are wholley correct. There have been a number of instances where information in her book has been proven to be false.

I prefer to cite a published source if I can in my posts. I have no loyalty to Menkes.
I just remember in 1982 everybody assumed Charles gave her the necklace in July for her birthday, their first anniversary, or the birth of William, and for some reason later the story came out (where or by whom the first time?) that actually Diana bought it on her own through Collingwood.
If there is any new info on this necklace I would welcome hearing it.

Squidgy 10-16-2006 06:38 PM

It's a shame that Diana didn't wear these pretty blue & gold earrings very often!

Photo: T. Graham

http://img91.imageshack.us/img91/617...0730yr8.th.jpg

CasiraghiTrio 11-03-2006 07:10 AM

I wonder if there are pics of Diana wearing jewelry that Hasnet Khan gave her. At the time of wearing such jewelry, it might not have been known in the press at the time, as she would be discreet about it, but it might have been noted in recent years. If he loved her as much and as deeply as writers now claim, then he knew her well enough to understand that Diana adored her jewels, so he must have given her something. At the very least, one thing, a bejeweled timepiece, necklace, bracelet, or earrings perhaps.

scooter 02-11-2007 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tiaraprin
Here is Diana in the "Swan Lake Necklace" shortly before her death.

Photo from Princess Diana...The Queen of Hearts

That necklace is one of my favorites. I dont think she ever wore it with the lover's knot tiara, but they would have been smashing together. If she did wear them together and some one has a phots, please share!

sirhon11234 02-11-2007 10:46 AM

Your right scooter Diana would have looked smashing wearing the swan lake neckalce with the lover's knot tiara. Someone should do some photo editing.

Prince of Chota 05-01-2007 06:52 PM

I don't think Diana did wear a tiara after her divorce. It seems strange that she would have kept the heirloom pieces, which probably belong to the crown, but I'll take yor word for it. Besides, they would have been put into a trust or some such for her sons' (well, their wives, at least). And Diana was asked by her brother to return the Spencer tiara to him, since she was no longer married. She was supposedly a bit insulted by this, as he asked her to return it almost immediately after the divorce was final.

scooter 05-01-2007 09:13 PM

Pardon me for asking, but what does married have to do with it? My understanding is that ladies born of a certain rank were entitled to wear tiaras? For example, would a peeress in her own right not be allowed a tiara if she was not married?

auntie 05-02-2007 03:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scooter
Pardon me for asking, but what does married have to do with it? My understanding is that ladies born of a certain rank were entitled to wear tiaras? For example, would a peeress in her own right not be allowed a tiara if she was not married?

I think that when she was no longer married to the royal family, she no longer attended state functions, which is where the Royal Family wears tiaras.

branchg 05-04-2007 08:37 PM

Diana was permitted to keep all of her royal jewels from The Queen and The Queen Mother after the divorce, with the proviso they could never be lent or sold. They were returned to the Queen after her death for William when he marries.

Prince of Chota 05-05-2007 09:02 PM

In the British tradition, a woman does not wear a tiara until her marriage, so her wedding day would be the first time. Tiaras are often the gift of the lady's parents as a wedding present.

daisygoogles 09-10-2007 07:36 AM

Only "royal jewels" like the Lover's Knot tiara and the cambridge emeralds were returned to the royal collection. Diana's privately owned jewels never belonged to the Queen.